Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FARmd90
Topic Author

Swift Air loses part of vertical stabilizer in flight.

Thu May 21, 2020 10:56 pm

Title says it all. A Swift Air 738 lost part of the vertical stabilizer on a flight from VCV-SAN.

https://www.airlive.net/alert-swift-air ... ZiOKkH7lqY

http://avherald.com/h?article=4d79f888&opt=0

strfyr51

Re: Swift Air loses part of vertical stabilizer in flight.

Thu May 21, 2020 11:06 pm

FARmd90 wrote:
Title says it all. A Swift Air 738 lost part of the vertical stabilizer on a flight from VCV-SAN.

https://www.airlive.net/alert-swift-air ... ZiOKkH7lqY

http://avherald.com/h?article=4d79f888&opt=0

they didn't come off! They were never secured ON the airplane!! Somebody Screwed to Pooch and didn't inspect their work!!

FlyingElvii

Thu May 21, 2020 11:13 pm

“The Crew was unaware of the incident. So much for the post-fight inspection.
“ Don’t worry about it. The next guys will catch anything wrong on the preflight.”

airportugal310

Thu May 21, 2020 11:19 pm

Definitely a few dents on the leading edge of the horizontal stab from what I can tell...surprised they didn't feel it, at least
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

Acey559

Thu May 21, 2020 11:27 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
“ Don’t worry about it. The next guys will catch anything wrong on the preflight.”

I can’t speak for Swift, but not all airlines do post flight inspections. We don’t at my airline.
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie.

Antarius

Thu May 21, 2020 11:37 pm

Wow. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

Planeboy17

Fri May 22, 2020 12:16 am

FlyingElvii wrote:

First of all, the quote about the crew being unaware is in context to the flight, meaning they had no idea this happened while in flight.
Also, my airline only requires a post flight walk around on a RON aircraft, similar to what Acey said.

durangomac

Fri May 22, 2020 12:30 am

Looking at FlightAware, looks like the plane was only in VCV for just over an hour.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N820TJ

wjcandee

Fri May 22, 2020 12:38 am

FlyingElvii wrote:
“The Crew was unaware of the incident.”

I'm sure the prisoners on board didn't notice, either.

F9Animal

Fri May 22, 2020 2:19 am

airportugal310 wrote:
Definitely a few dents on the leading edge of the horizontal stab from what I can tell...surprised they didn't feel it, at least

Yep, saw those dents! I wonder if they came off shortly after takeoff or during takeoff? I would expect the damage to be much more extensive had they come off at 500 MPH. Not just that, but I don't think the parts would have drifted down at cruise speed
I Am A Different Animal!!

Dalmd88

Fri May 22, 2020 2:56 am

That forward fairing is really big and kind of heavy. I always hated installing that. If I recall it has six bolts coming up from inside the cabin and a row of screws at the stab joint maybe?

AndoAv8R

Tue May 26, 2020 2:44 pm

After doing research on the 737 and talking to a mechanic friend, heres what i believe happened. The panels that are missing as well as the aerodynamic fin are required to be removed in order to inspect the airframe during a C check. For whatever reason (the crash of continental 2574 stick out in my mind) the panels/fin weren't properly reinstalled.

Waterbomber2

Tue May 26, 2020 2:59 pm

As spectacular as that looks, not flight critical parts.
It just looks more like an A320.
Maintenance error, avoidable and stupid but not a big deal.

KVH68

Tue May 26, 2020 3:00 pm

AndoAv8R wrote:
After doing research on the 737 and talking to a mechanic friend, heres what i believe happened. The panels that are missing as well as the aerodynamic fin are required to be removed in order to inspect the airframe during a C check. For whatever reason (the crash of continental 2574 stick out in my mind) the panels/fin weren't properly reinstalled.

Yes, that triangle panel gets removed to allow inspection of the two rudder control cables.

Antaras

Tue May 26, 2020 3:01 pm

We almost have the second JL123.
Luckily nothing happen.
If you disagree with my statement, assume that it was just a joke :duck:

Etheereal

Tue May 26, 2020 3:10 pm

Waterbomber2 wrote:

This better be satire..

YULobserver

Tue May 26, 2020 3:31 pm

Etheereal wrote:
Waterbomber2 wrote:

This better be satire..

It depends what meaning you give to critical. It's critical enough to not depart like that. However they were not a critical component for safety of flight.
The proof is it made no difference on the flight outcome.

I actually think this thread should be renamed to add: Swift Air loses part of vertical stabilizer fairings in flight.

We are far from a stabilizer being lost, and consequently, there was no serious incident, it spite of it looking spectacular.

slvrblt

Tue May 26, 2020 4:21 pm

Waterbomber2 wrote:

Yeah, sure.

ANYTIME you're missing pieces of an aircraft......and vertical stabilizer no less..... it is a HUGE deal.
..everything works out in the end.

cschleic

Tue May 26, 2020 5:25 pm

slvrblt wrote:
Waterbomber2 wrote:

Yeah, sure.

ANYTIME you're missing pieces of an aircraft......and vertical stabilizer no less..... it is a HUGE deal.

Scary as it looks, and certainly careless on someone's part, I think the meaning of some posts is that the missing parts aren't structural, they're more aerodynamic, so flight safety wasn't jeopardized. Now, the dents on the horizontal surfaces, if caused by parts falling off, could be another story.

birdup

Tue May 26, 2020 5:52 pm

Even if this part is not critical during flight, I wonder if the decreased aerodynamics could have made enough of a difference in fuel burn to exhaust reserves on a sufficiently long flight.

drdisque

Tue May 26, 2020 6:13 pm

birdup wrote:
Even if this part is not critical during flight, I wonder if the decreased aerodynamics could have made enough of a difference in fuel burn to exhaust reserves on a sufficiently long flight.

Probably.

The crew probably didn't notice in this circumstance because of the short stage length (41 minutes) and low altitude (18000 ft.)

during a long cruise they probably would've noticed that the performance seemed "off".

kalvado

Tue May 26, 2020 6:21 pm

OK, now lets try to name things what they are.
They lost the dorsal fin of vertical stabilizer, which would mean problems with aircraft control in sideslip flight, e.g. in crosswind landing or in engine out situation.
Now lets discuss how critical that is for the flight

peterjohns

Tue May 26, 2020 6:35 pm

Probably someone needed some spare parts for a 737 and thought " Oh- here´s one - lets take it of this one"

OB1504

Tue May 26, 2020 6:39 pm

YULobserver wrote:
Etheereal wrote:
Waterbomber2 wrote:

This better be satire..

It depends what meaning you give to critical. It's critical enough to not depart like that. However they were not a critical component for safety of flight.

I actually think this thread should be renamed to add: Swift Air loses part of vertical stabilizer fairings in flight.

We are far from a stabilizer being lost, and consequently, there was no serious incident, it spite of it looking spectacular.

While I agree that this isn’t on the same level as losing the entire vertical stabilizer, the fact that the airplane landed safely isn’t “proof” that it’s not critical. If you safely land an A300 with no hydraulics I don’t think anyone would be saying the hydraulics aren’t critical.

AirlineCritic

Tue May 26, 2020 7:12 pm

Indeed. Just because parts are not flight critical doesn't mean having them fly off and hit other parts of the aircraft is safe. We don't know how safe/unsafe that is, for all we know this crew might have gotten very lucky or just enjoyed the likely outcome. But I'm 100% certain that there are situations where this could also have caused a serious problem, if the departing parts damaged something else.

KlimaBXsst

Tue May 26, 2020 8:36 pm

Photo shows damage to the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer.

Glad there was NO hot Space Shuttle plasma or substantial opening deformations here to cause further damage high velocity air flow upon this flight critical component.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

wjcandee

Tue May 26, 2020 10:31 pm

YULobserver wrote:
Etheereal wrote:
Waterbomber2 wrote:

This better be satire..

However they were not a critical component for safety of flight.

Proof that the flight didn't crash is proof of nothing relating to whether they are flight-safety-critical components. Very narrow view you have of what constitutes safety of flight. I don't think most share the same view.

ON THIS FLIGHT, the configuration didn't materially-affect handling, apparently.

However, those hunks of metal aren't on there for beauty. In other circumstances, such as different wind conditions or a lost engine, they darn well would have affected handling and limits, and therefore "safety of flight".

strfyr51

Tue May 26, 2020 10:39 pm

Acey559 wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:

I can’t speak for Swift, but not all airlines do post flight inspections. We don’t at my airline.

they actually don't if the airplane is turning for another flight. There will be another Preflight or turnaround check done before departure,

brianK73

Tue May 26, 2020 11:59 pm

If the aircraft had to fly through a known icing condition, and the exposed rudder cables are encased in layers of ice....
It certainly could have caused some safety issues, methinks.

n92r03

Wed May 27, 2020 12:55 am

wjcandee wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:

Is Swift doing JPATS flights?

wjcandee

Wed May 27, 2020 1:54 am

n92r03 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:

Is Swift doing JPATS flights?

Well, they're one of the largest air transportation contractors on ICE repatriation flights. At last count, they moved like 35,000 people per year out of IWA alone.

I don't know whether all ICE repatriation flights are subcontracted through the JPATS system or not, so I don't know if Swift is a subcontractor to JPATS or directly to ICE or both. The public stuff on it is a little confusing. JPATS claims to move about 260,000 passengers per year. That would be 365 passengers per day per each of their two 737-400s, every day of the year. I guess that's possible depending on stage length, which is not too-long when moving prisoners between Federal judicial districts. However, I believe that JPATS operates a lot of point to point flights, like Southwest, so not everybody is getting off in Brownsville. (Well, actually, I think a lot of people ARE getting off in Brownsville, but you see my point.) So seems like that number maybe includes some flights handled by subcontractors. In any event, Swift is a major provider of airlift for removal flights, and the itinerary of the flight in question and rotation of that aircraft that day makes clear that that's what it was.
Last edited by wjcandee on Wed May 27, 2020 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wacker1000

Wed May 27, 2020 1:56 am

Waterbomber2 wrote:

Its not flight critical until it takes out something flight critical during its departure.

UA735WL

Wed May 27, 2020 3:22 am

As I recall, one of the reasons the -300 and beyond series 737s got the fairing/fillet (whatever you want to call it) that is so conspicuously absent from this airplane was to improve rudder authority in an engine out situation with the more powerful CFM56 vs the JT8Ds on the 100/200. Like other posters mentioned, it's a good thing no other failures decided to occur.
"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions" -Tex Johnston

ikramerica

Wed May 27, 2020 3:46 am

brianK73 wrote:
If the aircraft had to fly through a known icing condition, and the exposed rudder cables are encased in layers of ice....
It certainly could have caused some safety issues, methinks.

That was my thought.

Any time you lose a fairing, you lose either an aero element or a cover to something that should be covered.

While neither on their own may be dangerous under normal conditions, during other conditions it could mean a crash.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

tribird1011

Wed May 27, 2020 6:07 am

YULobserver wrote:
Etheereal wrote:
Waterbomber2 wrote:

This better be satire..

That's a rather low standard to determine what is or is not a critical component for safety of flight. Are you saying that if a flight lands safely, it doesn't really matter what falls off??

By that definition, an A310* losing it's rudder in flight at 35,000ft and the flight landing safely means the rudder is not critical for flight, as it landed safely...

*Air Transat A310 C-GPAT TS961 VRA-YQB , March 2005

jpiddink

Wed May 27, 2020 6:21 am

In my industry, there is a fairly clear definition of ‘safety critical components’, SCC, actually derived from aviation (or so it was presented).

SCC components that in an otherwise normally functioning vehicle, could If they failed, reasonably result in a loss of hull and / or threatened the structural integrity of other objects outside the vehicle.

That is something completely different than the (justified) statement that one would not want to take off in this condition.

The fact that they landed uneventfully gives a hint that these parts may not have been SCC but that’s hardly conclusive.

F9Animal

Wed May 27, 2020 7:24 am

Did they determine when and where the parts came off? Have the parts been found? Since it's being classified as an accident, it will be interesting to see what the investigation report will be. Just thankful nothing bad happened! Proof these 737's are built like tanks.

What's even more crazy is that the crew didn't notice anything was off. You would think it would feel different to the crew?
I Am A Different Animal!!

Dalmd88

Wed May 27, 2020 1:29 pm

The fairing is not a critical part. I don't think the plane can be dispatched with out one through the CDL as you can with flap fairings.

Yes, it's a major mistake but not likely to result in hull loss. I believe that is the definition of critical part. I know in our GMM flight critical parts require Inspection buy off. I don't believe this fairing had a Inspection buy off for install in our program, it has been a few years since I put one on though.

YULobserver

Wed May 27, 2020 5:48 pm

tribird1011 wrote:
YULobserver wrote:
Etheereal wrote:
This better be satire..

That's a rather low standard to determine what is or is not a critical component for safety of flight. Are you saying that if a flight lands safely, it doesn't really matter what falls off??

By that definition, an A310* losing it's rudder in flight at 35,000ft and the flight landing safely means the rudder is not critical for flight, as it landed safely...

*Air Transat A310 C-GPAT TS961 VRA-YQB , March 2005

My comments was not from an airworthiness standards point of view, but commenting on waterbomber2 choice of words that seemed to surprise Etheereal.

The Transat incident, for example, showed that for the primary flight controls, the rudder is indeed the less critical, even though it is still a critical part. However, when you measure the possibilities of a catastrophic flight outcome, this Swift flight was probably way safer than TS961.

If you put together a list of catastrophic failures related to missing parts, fairings and access panels on the vert stab will not come as your highest hitters. And would nowhere be comparable to the Stab itself.

It is, however, spectacular, and from memory it is the fist time I see so many panels departing in flight at the same time.

Here's one official definition of critical component. And even though "landing safely" might seem like a lousy metric, you will notice that catastrophic and hazardous to flight are words that are actually used in the definitions.

https://www.easa.europa.eu/faq/19013

ILNFlyer

Wed May 27, 2020 8:18 pm

That's got to be a first.

asdf

Wed May 27, 2020 10:06 pm

well, its not on the MEL list, is it?
so its kind puppy stuff and not important ...
;-)

24Whiskey

Wed May 27, 2020 11:08 pm

Given the apparent collateral damage on the LE of the horizontal stabilizer how is there any debate about criticality?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos