Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

xdlx
Topic Author

AA Furlough > Flowback?

Tue May 26, 2020 3:26 pm

Given that all airlines will have adjust to the new realities... Is there a flowback option for AA/Pilots affected by a potential furlough, to return to any of the EAGLE affiliates? Say flowthru occurred within last 36mo, what options exist for these folks?

SWALUV

Re: AA Furlough > Flowback?

Tue May 26, 2020 3:29 pm

To my knowledge, flowback is not an option for those who flowed from a WO carrier.

ericm2031

Tue May 26, 2020 3:35 pm

I don't think their wholly-owned regionals will need pilots either. If mainline shrinks, the regional fleet has to come down with it to remain within scope...they were already maxed out with this pre-COVID

alasizon

Tue May 26, 2020 3:40 pm

ericm2031 wrote:
I don't think their wholly-owned regionals will need pilots either. If mainline shrinks, the regional fleet has to come down with it to remain within scope...they were already maxed out with this pre-COVID

Since COVID is considered an Act of God/Force Majeure event, they have 15 months to bring themselves into compliance, same rules as the MAX grounding.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

jfklganyc

Tue May 26, 2020 3:48 pm

Absolutely flowback

Happened in the mid 2000s

Flowbacks cant cause furloughs at regionals but they take any open Captain slot

jfklganyc

Tue May 26, 2020 3:49 pm

and by the way this wasn’t written anywhere.

This was decided by an arbitrator… If something could flow through...it can flow back

KlimaBXsst

Tue May 26, 2020 8:53 pm

Flowback is an important topic.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

DiamondFlyer

Tue May 26, 2020 8:54 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
Absolutely flowback

Flowback no longer is in the contract at AA or any of the 3 AA WOs. So needless to say, there won’t be flowback.
From my cold, dead hands

alasizon

Tue May 26, 2020 9:05 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
Absolutely flowback

Flowback no longer is in the contract at AA or any of the 3 AA WOs. So needless to say, there won’t be flowback.

Not to mention a flowback right now would just burn even more cash.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

bigb

Tue May 26, 2020 9:11 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
Absolutely flowback

Negative, flow backs aren’t a thing anymore and is no longer in the contracts of WOs. The only flow back provision is if a pilot fails training at mainline. Delta has a flow back in their contract to Compass. Oof.

CriticalPoint

Tue May 26, 2020 9:55 pm

alasizon wrote:
ericm2031 wrote:

Since COVID is considered an Act of God/Force Majeure event, they have 15 months to bring themselves into compliance, same rules as the MAX grounding.

Has AA declared that yet? Because as soon as they do the contract basically means nothing.....that’s like a nuke to the pilot group.

bigb

Tue May 26, 2020 10:10 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
alasizon wrote:
ericm2031 wrote:

Has AA declared that yet? Because as soon as they do the contract basically means nothing.....that’s like a nuke to the pilot group.

Labor contracts don’t just go out the window while CH 11 is filed thanks to Frank Lorenzo.

AABusDrvr

Tue May 26, 2020 10:15 pm

bigb wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
Absolutely flowback

Negative, flow backs aren’t a thing anymore and is no longer in the contracts of WOs. The only flow back provision is if a pilot fails training at mainline. Delta has a flow back in their contract to Compass. Oof.

I believe thats only for one of the WO's, PDT or PSA. And honestly, I cant believe they got HR to sign off on it. Letting a pilot come back who couldn't pass training at mainline seems to open up a whole liability can of worms.

DiamondFlyer

Tue May 26, 2020 10:54 pm

bigb wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
Absolutely flowback

Had, since CPZ is gone. Associated with it, so goes 35 large RJ's, until they get a new flow back provision, or otherwise negotiate for the planes.
From my cold, dead hands

CriticalPoint

Tue May 26, 2020 10:55 pm

bigb wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
alasizon wrote:

Labor contracts don’t just go out the window while CH 11 is filed thanks to Frank Lorenzo.

I didn’t say CH 11 I’m talking about act of god and force majeure.

bigb

Tue May 26, 2020 11:34 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
bigb wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
Absolutely flowback

Had, since CPZ is gone. Associated with it, so goes 35 large RJ's, until they get a new flow back provision, or otherwise negotiate for the planes.

Which is why I said oof lol

jfklganyc

Wed May 27, 2020 1:46 am

It was never in the contract guys.

bigb

Wed May 27, 2020 1:49 am

[*]
jfklganyc wrote:

It was a contract provision at one time at American Eagle/Envoy. That provision has not expired and no longer I. The CBA.

Woodreau

Wed May 27, 2020 1:59 am

jfklganyc wrote:

The flowback provision was in Letter 3 of the ALPA Eagle contract / Supp W of the APA contract. Both of those contracts have been replaced by new contracts since 2013 which do not have the option of flowback.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

CanesFan

Wed May 27, 2020 2:36 am

Woodreau wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

The flowback provision was in Letter 3 of the ALPA Eagle contract / Supp W of the APA contract. Both of those contracts have been replaced by new contracts since 2013 which do not have the option of flowback.

^^^^This!

CarlosSi

Wed May 27, 2020 3:28 am

I guess something you could debate is whether there /should/ be flowback.

I’d say no, especially with a furlough this big (or rather, with a drastic cut in flying this big). You’d probably drain everyone flying at the regionals now with everyone at the majors downgrading. I’d say there would be a lot of retraining involved getting them back on types they’re rusty on or new in general. They’ll get their job at the major back soon enough, hopefully. IMO there’s a willful choice taken to risk being at the bottom and ending up worst off when you upgrade than staying at the regionals. Everyone will do it. Unless someone’s that one guy who’s been at the regional for 20+ years flying... e175s or something.

AABusDrvr

Thu May 28, 2020 4:44 pm

From a friend of mine at AA who mentors new hire pilots. The pilots in the March 17th new hire class who were sent home before starting training are being told they will start training after the awards from the current vacancy/displacement bid are finalized next month.

I can't believe they would put them through training if they were planning to furlough them in October, but stranger things have happened.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos