Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Southwest wins JD Power award in both categories for US carriers

Wed May 27, 2020 5:28 pm

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/grantmarti ... -carriers/

Congratulations to Southwest Airlines for winning the JD Power award for highest customer satisfaction in both the short haul (800 mi or less) and long haul (over 800 mi) categories. JetBlue Airways places second in both categories, which was the first year of these new categories after previously being divided into “Traditional Network Carrier” and “Low Cost Carrier” categories. Here are the scores:

Rankings
Short Haul

Southwest - 839
JetBlue – 833
Alaska – 828
Delta – 820

Long Haul

Southwest – 826
JetBlue – 823
Delta – 810
Alaska – 797

My take: the award is for “satisfaction,” and while WN doesn’t offer FC, lie-flat seating, or a worldwide network, they do one thing, and do it very, very consistently - provide reliable, relatively hassle-free service between points A and B. And when you do that consistently, your customers are generally satisfied.

Your thoughts? Does this new split make sense? Do you agree with JD Power’s reclassification? If not, how would you change it?

Congrats again to WN!
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

superjeff

Re: WN wins JD Power award in both categories

Wed May 27, 2020 5:39 pm

Since its beginning in 1971, Southwest has consistently followed a simple formula: Under promise and Over deliver. It works (and I'm not a fan, primarily due to the boarding system).

Trk1

Wed May 27, 2020 5:41 pm

Who really cares
apples to oranges

MIflyer12

Wed May 27, 2020 5:42 pm

Customers self-segregate. Those looking for seat assignments, Y+ cabins, F cabins, lounges, worldwide award redemptions, and video screens don't fly Southwest. Southwest satisfies its customer base, obviously.

32andBelow

Wed May 27, 2020 5:48 pm

Is this the one Alaska wins every year. Rip.

trueblew

Wed May 27, 2020 5:48 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
My take: the award is for “satisfaction,” and while WN doesn’t offer FC, lie-flat seating, or a worldwide network, they do one thing, and do it very, very consistently - provide reliable, relatively hassle-free service between points A and B. And when you do that consistently, your customers are generally satisfied.

Your thoughts? Does this new split make sense? Do you agree with JD Power’s reclassification? If not, how would you change it?

Congrats again to WN!

I suppose it works as well as it can. This is similar to ranking hotels. You have your Motel 6 (F9/NK), Holiday Inn Express (WN), W (B6), Ritz-Carlton (DL if you ask them), etc etc. Everyone has a different flavor and it's hard to rank Motel 6 against the Ritz.

MIflyer12

Wed May 27, 2020 6:16 pm

Here's a link to the JD Power press release. https://www.jdpower.com/business/press- ... tion-study

In long-haul, AA beat UA (although both are below segment-average), and Spirit sucks harder than Frontier.

ericm2031

Wed May 27, 2020 6:18 pm

Makes sense considering WN and B6 were top last year overall when combining the 2 former categories.

I'm a little shocked to see United THAT low...I'm guessing on the short-haul side might be due to a lot of 50-seaters and frequent short-haul cancellations and delays at SFO and EWR.

gmcc

Wed May 27, 2020 6:23 pm

I guess it works although I tend to think of long haul as being overseas. Guess that comes from bring a foreign service brat. I never really understood why there were two distinct domestic categories. The low cost vs traditional split just seemed like an odd distinction. I think a better split would be domestic/international.

santi319

Wed May 27, 2020 7:06 pm

JD Power is a joke at this point. Boarding on WN is gross. Their crews however are the best.

Jetblue is by far the best domestic inflight product (if you ignore their reliability)

BravoOne

Wed May 27, 2020 7:24 pm

Well SWA is consistent if you are looking simply looking at basic air transportation. They don't over promise and their fares are usually at the lower end of the spectrum, My only poor experience is with last minute cancelations, and believe it or not, lost baggage.

JD Power on the other hand is a total fraud.

B6BOSfan

Wed May 27, 2020 7:24 pm

santi319 wrote:
JD Power is a joke at this point. Boarding on WN is gross. Their crews however are the best.

Jetblue is by far the best domestic inflight product (if you ignore their reliability)

It's based on customers, so kind of no surprise Southwest does so well. While the typical traveler doesn't like the cattle line, I'm guessing most people who fill out those surveys are just fine with it.

JetBlue would probably score much better if not for the constant delays. They can have the best inflight experience ever, but if my plane leaves 2 - 3 hours late consistently, you're gonna get dinged for that.

usdcaguy

Wed May 27, 2020 7:26 pm

I think WN deserves JD Power. What's great about them is their people. They simply are customer-focused. Although I can't fly them every time due to infrequent schedules and occasionally uncompetitive pricing, they are excellent at getting me to where I need to go. I remember once when I was late connecting in STL, they texted me while I was still on the inbound to inform me that my connection was late. I ran to the gate, and the agent was expecting me and even told me I could wait a bit to board due to fog at the destination. DL would have never done that. For domestic travel, UA is a screwball, AA packs you in tight, and DL is a blowhard. They also charge for bags and everything else under the sun. WN got this award for a reason, and that is because they get the job done and treat you like a human being.

Seat1F

Wed May 27, 2020 7:46 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Here's a link to the JD Power press release. https://www.jdpower.com/business/press- ... tion-study

In long-haul, AA beat UA (although both are below segment-average), and Spirit sucks harder than Frontier.

I'm surprised both UA and AC rank below AA for long and short-haul. I haven't been on AC in about two years but I always thought they were quite good compared to US carriers.

mbmbos

Wed May 27, 2020 7:53 pm

No doubt, Southwest Airlines has very good in customer service if not the best. I like the airline and am not surprised they're at the top of some lists.

But let's be clear: J.D. Power is a vanity award paid for by the companies who compete for them. They charge companies to advertise they won the award. That's how they make their money, which already points to conflict of interest. On top of that, many critics have argued J.D. Power allows companies to weigh in on how services and products are evaluated, thereby allowing said companies to game the evaluation process in their favor.

So good for Southwest for its customer service. But let's all be aware of what J.D. Power actually does.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

Lrockeagle

Wed May 27, 2020 8:10 pm

I’ll be sure to post the LRE Awards when they come out. They have about as much weight as JD.
Lrockeagle
15 years ago

I got $20 says AA takes their 787's with GE powerplants. Just a hunch. Any takers?

slcdeltarumd11

Wed May 27, 2020 8:10 pm

Southwest and JetBlue are the only airlines you feel like they want you to have a good experience and are trying to deliver customer service. No surprise they are above the field. I agree I think JetBlue would win if they were not so delay prone.

UA and AA hands down worst customer experience. Really hate flying them. I now avoid when possible. Oasis config is intolerable and united experience is just depressing.

MIflyer12

Wed May 27, 2020 8:22 pm

Seat1F wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

I'm surprised both UA and AC rank below AA for long and short-haul. I haven't been on AC in about two years but I always thought they were quite good compared to US carriers.

AC was below segment average in 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, and I'm tired of looking...

Seat1F

Wed May 27, 2020 8:26 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Seat1F wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

AC was below segment average in 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, and I'm tired of looking...

Interesting. Thanks for that.

santi319

Wed May 27, 2020 9:18 pm

B6BOSfan wrote:
santi319 wrote:

It's based on customers, so kind of no surprise Southwest does so well. While the typical traveler doesn't like the cattle line, I'm guessing most people who fill out those surveys are just fine with it.

JetBlue would probably score much better if not for the constant delays. They can have the best inflight experience ever, but if my plane leaves 2 - 3 hours late consistently, you're gonna get dinged for that.

Yes, so basically the formula has always been the same:
Happy employees and good reliability.

Everything else is extra. So you don’t really need a 3 course meal and 40000 channels on your IFE to make it a good experience after all.

Give them wifi and a happy and well paid cabin crew!

MIflyer12

Wed May 27, 2020 9:44 pm

santi319 wrote:
Everything else is extra. So you don’t really need a 3 course meal and 40000 channels on your IFE to make it a good experience after all.

Give them wifi and a happy and well paid cabin crew!

That is really defective logic. People aren't randomly assigned a carrier when they buy a ticket and then reporting on their satisfaction. It's not a comparison of carrier products - it's measuring relative satisfaction with the product they received -- which is very much a function of expectations.

The people who like Southwest's value proposition buy it, and like it. People who demand 'extras' as you describe them don't fly Southwest.
Last edited by MIflyer12 on Wed May 27, 2020 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jomur

Wed May 27, 2020 9:45 pm

Can the thread title be changed to show that is is just for the US air!ines?

avi8

Wed May 27, 2020 9:52 pm

I find it interesting that many people dislike how WN boards their flights. I for one am a huge fan of the “come on in and sit wherever you want” process. I always check my carry on because I know I won’t be charged and everything is just so seamless. They are my favorite airline. All they’re missing are a few key international destinations so that I don’t have to fly American.
avi8

alasizon

Wed May 27, 2020 9:58 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
People who demand 'extras' as you describe them don't fly Southwest.

This is also why satisfaction surveys will always skew towards WN, B6, and AS because they provide a step above basic needs and not all the extras. The more extras one provides and one expects, the more they can be dissatisfied with how those extras lived up to expectations.

Don't get me wrong, WN, B6 and AS are good at what they do but if you expect DL-level F service you won't find it on WN, just like if you expect the jovial WN atmosphere, you won't find it on UA.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

737MAX7

Wed May 27, 2020 11:04 pm

BravoOne wrote:
Well SWA is consistent if you are looking simply looking at basic air transportation. They don't over promise and their fares are usually at the lower end of the spectrum, My only poor experience is with last minute cancelations, and believe it or not, lost baggage.

Lost baggage numbers SHOULD start getting better with us finally starting to scan bags.

BravoOne

Wed May 27, 2020 11:41 pm

Thats good to know. Thanks

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Wed May 27, 2020 11:54 pm

While those of us at AS are disappointed to see our 12 year win streak come to an end, we're happy that our scores still improved year over year when comparing the totals to last year, and that we are in such good company with winners who are very capable, worthy competitors.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

maps4ltd

Wed May 27, 2020 11:57 pm

An airline with no chargers, screens, or BOB should not be first in long haul. The soft product is usually decent but the hard product for a long haul is lacking.
Delta Gold Medallion

alasizon

Thu May 28, 2020 12:26 am

maps4ltd wrote:
An airline with no chargers, screens, or BOB should not be first in long haul. The soft product is usually decent but the hard product for a long haul is lacking.

That is why the survey focuses on satisfaction not actual amenities. Passengers who purchase a seat on WN know they aren't getting any of those things so it is irrelevant when it comes to satisfaction.

The fact that their "long haul" category isn't even two hours is a bit silly, it should be at least 3 hours (1,200 miles plus)
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

32andBelow

Thu May 28, 2020 1:01 am

EA CO AS wrote:
While those of us at AS are disappointed to see our 12 year win streak come to an end, we're happy that our scores still improved year over year when comparing the totals to last year, and that we are in such good company with winners who are very capable, worthy competitors.

This award doesn’t mean much. Just keep doing what your doing. No one looks up the jd power winners before they book a ticket.

tomaheath

Thu May 28, 2020 1:05 am

avi8 wrote:
I find it interesting that many people dislike how WN boards their flights. I for one am a huge fan of the “come on in and sit wherever you want” process. I always check my carry on because I know I won’t be charged and everything is just so seamless. They are my favorite airline. All they’re missing are a few key international destinations so that I don’t have to fly American.

Agree. I don’t get the opportunity to fly often but I always try to go with WN. I personally love there boarding process again I do travel often but I’m always able to get a first row or exit row on there flights. On my last flight witch was on DL I lost my premium economy window seat and got put in a middle seat in the back not end of the world I had payed extra for that seat on WN I pay $15 to get checked in early and that’s that.

tomaheath

Thu May 28, 2020 1:06 am

737MAX7 wrote:
BravoOne wrote:

Lost baggage numbers SHOULD start getting better with us finally starting to scan bags.

Will the traveler be able to track there bags through the app?

Re: Southwest wins JD Power award in both categories

Thu May 28, 2020 1:11 am

At first the Southwest boarding process felt awkward. However I soon adjusted once I realized that I for a few $ per flight segment that I could buy my way into the "A" boarding group and get very good seats for me and my wife. Also, I've timed it compared to similar aircraft on other carriers. My experience is that its a faster boarding process as well.

Now Southwest is my preferred carrier. Unfortunately, they don't always go where I am heading or do so with appropriately timed flights. The comparison can be very stark if you end up on United or American - and not in a good way for United or American. I rate Delta similar enough that its down to minor personal preference. I've never flown on Alaska or Jet Blue

Have a great day,

ua900

Thu May 28, 2020 1:44 am

EA CO AS wrote:
Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/grantmarti ... -carriers/

Congratulations to Southwest Airlines for winning the JD Power award for highest customer satisfaction...

Congrats again to WN!

Congrats indeed. I personally don't think that split makes sense because:

Trk1 wrote:
apples to oranges

MIflyer12 wrote:
Customers self-segregate. Those looking for seat assignments, Y+ cabins, F cabins, lounges, worldwide award redemptions, and video screens don't fly Southwest. Southwest satisfies its customer base, obviously.

And 3.
gmcc wrote:
I guess it works although I tend to think of long haul as being overseas. Guess that comes from bring a foreign service brat. I never really understood why there were two distinct domestic categories. The low cost vs traditional split just seemed like an odd distinction. I think a better split would be domestic/international.

My thoughts:

Having flown WN in the past, I think if you're looking to get from A to B you'll be just fine. Once you see international business class as a passenger, I think part of you will make a comparison between that,m domestic first and a product like WN's. If you're more like a bonvivant, you won't like WN much after that, not would you like driving a Chevy once you had something really nice. On the other hand, the Chevy can get to there all the same. It's really more about fit and personality type than the airline and the product. I know plenty of people who like WN precisely because it's relatively basic and predictable. They fly domestically and rarely if ever intercontinental, they are happy about the two bags being included, and they don't get protected by a legacy in case of IRROPS. Can't blame them for disliking an airline like UA.

I would change the JD Power classification to account more for the needs of business and international travelers:

Someone like UA being late matters much less when you are sitting in business with a glass of bubbly watching a movie while putting the seat into bed mode, or spending an additional three hours at the Polaris lounge. Oh well, another round of food at the sit down restaurant section, or perhaps a shower. Or perhaps a complimentary mani at the DFW Amex Platinum lounge. It's not like you're sitting in the gate area or the back of the plane. Same for IRROPS. Being stuck on another continent and having a network carrier bail you out by transferring your ticket to an alliance partner or even a competitor is valuable to some of us, and completely different from the WN core strengths. It's not like one needs to "like" UA a whole lot in order to appreciate what they do. Same for DL and AA, pick one and try to stick with it when it comes to the traditional US network carriers.
2020: AMS | BRU | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | IAH | LAX | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SFO | TXL

ScottB

Thu May 28, 2020 4:11 am

EA CO AS wrote:

Congrats again to WN!

I'd agree with you on why WN does well in this sort of comparison -- they do an excellent job of providing the product they promise (if not exceeding expectations) and they are very good at setting customer expectations and offering product features their customer base values -- like no bag fees, no change fees, and a generally consistent level of value in their pricing, rather than Basic Economy, fees for bags, fees for seat assignments, fees for carry-on bags, and bait-and-switch pricing a la NK/F9/G4.

I think this sort of classification makes more sense than the previous network vs. LCC split as the products/market segments have become more blurred. B6 has a well-regarded premium cabin on some flights while AA's Basic Economy product is giving Spirit a run for its money for worst-in-industry. Perhaps another good classification might be economy cabin product vs. premium cabin product.

Re: Southwest wins JD Power award in both categories for US carriers

Thu May 28, 2020 1:58 pm

On further thoughts on this: While I understand the change to "short haul" and "long haul"...

I believe that they should have 3 categories, and add "International very long haul" to account for the changes in expectations of people who fly long distances between continents and different parts of the world.

"International" alone would not work; and a solid % of their current definitions of short and long haul traffic is international in nature.

Have a great day,

737MAX7

Thu May 28, 2020 2:36 pm

tomaheath wrote:
737MAX7 wrote:
BravoOne wrote:

Will the traveler be able to track there bags through the app?

I THINK that is the plan down the road. Right now we only scan them when loaded/offloaded but the way management has been talking it sounds like they eventually want them to be scanned when they get to the bagroom and scanned when dropped at baggage claim. Don’t quote me on that because things change frequently.

CobaltScar

Thu May 28, 2020 3:05 pm

EA CO AS wrote:

I told you last year, and the year before that as soon as AS had to compete directly with customer service oriented carriers their "winning streak" vs. the likes of AA and UA (lol) would end.

And here we are.

StrandedAtMKG

Thu May 28, 2020 3:24 pm

I have to hand it to WN. They came on the scene and "revolutionized" the industry (I use the word loosely) by cutting costs wherever possible to become a "low-cost carrier," and instead of being laughed out of the skies they created a playing field where the other carriers' only option was to be dragged down to Southwest's level. Flying was a totally different world before all the carriers had to worry about competing with Southwest.

These days, it's just expected that a 5-hour transcon flight during the dinner hour will feature a half-can of pop and a bag of peanuts, something that was utterly unthinkable before Southwest. Seat assignments are now a luxury at most airlines, and you either pay for the privilege (and pay extra to not sit in a middle seat) or you get what's leftover and randomly assigned at check-in, whether it's with the rest of your party or not. Paper tickets and classy ticket jackets have long since gone the way of the dodo, along with amenity kits, plastic wings for the kids, and all kinds of other loyalty-building items. Dressing up and acting classy for a flight went out the window during WN's "shorts-and-polos with a free comedy show by the F/A's" period. Instead of a rewarding frequent flyer program we get the hot mess that is AAdvantage and SkyMiles. Nickel-and-diming passengers for everything from headphones to B-o-B liquor is now the norm.

Sure you can pay for a lot of these things, but rather than paying $150 for a flight and not having to worry about being nickel-and-dimed to death your options when booking are a $100 stripped-down Economy fare that gets you a seat on the flight and nothing more, or a $300 Premium Y fare that gets you all the normal things you expect from a flight for twice the price.

Southwest became first not by being the best at what they do, but by dragging the rest of the field down so far that their subpar cost-saving measures now look perfectly normal compared to their competitors.

FlyingElvii

Thu May 28, 2020 3:38 pm

superjeff wrote:
Since its beginning in 1971, Southwest has consistently followed a simple formula: Under promise and Over deliver. It works (and I'm not a fan, primarily due to the boarding system).

Flew them last week.
More legroom than the CRJ 700 I was recently on, free bag ( Can’t tell how big of a deal that is to many people), actually friendly staffers in most positions.
Under-promise, over-deliver wins every time.

ShinyAndChrome

Thu May 28, 2020 3:40 pm

Congrats to WN. Agreed that the short-haul/long-haul split seems pretty arbitrary, especially the 800mi cutoff. I did some double checking on GCM and by JD Power's standards, something like DCA-MIA or BOS-ORD would count as long-haul.

It's all subjective of course, but I'd personally put the cutoff at something like 1,200-1,500. Maybe introduce a "mid-haul" category for 800-1,500.

Cointrin330

Thu May 28, 2020 3:48 pm

Not sure it really makes much of a difference and just a marketing ploy. People likely don't pick their carriers based on JD Power & Associates. I've flown WN a few times and always found the crews to be great, but if there ever was a US airline with a chronic safety problem, it's WN. Seems like they are often in the news for maintenance issues, mishaps, accidents, etc...

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Thu May 28, 2020 3:58 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

I told you last year, and the year before that as soon as AS had to compete directly with customer service oriented carriers their "winning streak" vs. the likes of AA and UA (lol) would end.

And here we are.

Can you tell me what this post of yours accomplished?

Ziyulu

Thu May 28, 2020 4:09 pm

Does long haul include international? AA, DL, and UA have much better food on international routes than WN.

trueblew

Thu May 28, 2020 4:33 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
CobaltScar wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

And here we are.

Can you tell me what this post of yours accomplished?

He accurately pointed out the absurdity of the previous system and seems to think the current one makes more sense. Which is what you asked in the OP.

TYWoolman

Thu May 28, 2020 5:32 pm

And the real JD Power Award goes to:
The carrier who has the best anti-viral cleaning technique and protocol! Any award amid the clovid-19 context seems a bit misplaced IMO. But where due, congrats Southwest!

CMHSRQ

Thu May 28, 2020 5:53 pm

I'm A-list on SWA, silver on Delta, and was gold on AA, with flights on UA, Spirit, B6, and Allegiant in the past 16 months. I would agree with the rankings. WN by far has the best customer service, B6 a close second. The hard product on Delta for FC and Comfort + is better then WN, but I was #56 for the upgrade to comfort on my last DL flight. 3 years ago I switched from DL to WN due to the numerous delays and cancellations. Several which their recovering options would have me arrive after my scheduled departure. I travel for business, and the flexibility they offer has saved my company $1,000s and allowed me to easily make changes. Plus the companion pass is awesome.
The voice of moderation

KlimaBXsst

Thu May 28, 2020 8:26 pm

Still trying to make some good takeaways from these results.

One thing apparent is JetBlue’s long haul product along with MINT must absolutely be crap compared to Southwest’s long haul product. Now truthfully we all know this is NOT true, as we all collectively scratch our heads JD Power heads.

Another takeaway we can make is DL is doing quite well against its main competitors AA and UA.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

KlimaBXsst

Thu May 28, 2020 8:38 pm

The other take away is Spirit and Frontier users are SUBSTANTIALLY less satisfied than passengers choosing American Airlines.

United passengers are also COLLECTIVELY equally or more satisfied than they would be by using Frontier or Spirit.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

Ziyulu

Thu May 28, 2020 8:50 pm

I don't like how Southwest suspended in flight service during COVID where not even water was served. Only recently, have they brought back pretzels.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos