Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
cessna2
Topic Author
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:16 am

Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Wed May 27, 2020 11:44 pm

Rumor from a reliable source says DL is set to acquire the 7 A350’s QR currently has on order. I’m sure more details will be released in the coming days. If true this would explain the $62 million paid to LATAM to let go of the 4 used frames. Ed has said it would’ve costed more to refurbish the jets than to order directly from Airbus. Thoughts?
 
airzona11
Posts: 1746
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:44 am

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Wed May 27, 2020 11:48 pm

Clear out salaries and other expenses due to Covid related business adjustments and they can make the finances work.
 
maverick4002
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:14 pm

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Wed May 27, 2020 11:48 pm

hmmmm, buying 7 new widebody jets in these unique times whilst begging the government for money and inevitably cutting jobs. The optics will not be nice.
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 19734
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Wed May 27, 2020 11:54 pm

If true, wise. How much would QR subsidize DL? This is getting so complicated! Only in a global shutdown would this even be plausible.

Seriously, what does it say about the state of aviation that we can seriously discuss DL forfeiting $62M and then cheaply taking over QR A350 orders and saving DL cash over the suddenly retired 777s.

If DL doesn't pay anything for 2 years, the optics self correct. With 34 QR A359s on order... plausible.

My question becomes, why only 7? :duck:

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.
 
phxa340
Posts: 1105
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:07 am

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Wed May 27, 2020 11:55 pm

After receiving billions is US aid and then turns around and buys a European jet .... while we know that airlines should buy what’s best for them , the optics on this will be terrible. Hope Trump doesn’t get word , I can already see his twitter post ...
 
klkla
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:51 am

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 12:01 am

Seems strange considering Delta just payed LATAM millions to NOT take A350s.
 
strfyr51
Posts: 4900
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 12:02 am

the 62 million? It what it might have cost to reconfigure the used A350's on top of buying them It stands to reason that DL was trying to avoid that expense. Maybe ?
United should have sold their OWN slots to Delta.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 7773
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 12:03 am

cessna2 wrote:
. Ed has said it would’ve costed more to refurbish the jets than to order directly from Airbus. Thoughts?


Noodle that for a bit... If that were true there would be no demand for used jets, ever.
 
UA444
Posts: 2993
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:03 am

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 12:04 am

Maybe they’ll throw in the 777-200LRs as a trade
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 1920
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 12:13 am

Is DL trying to cozy up to QR now and remove it from the BA/AA and broader Oneworld orbit? Since DL has orders outstanding for the A350 anyway, would it not be possible to bring 7 forward and renegotiate the order? It's a buyer's market for new jets right now.
 
ILikeTrains
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:18 am

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 12:20 am

I smell DL trying to bring QR into their fold. Would not bode well for OneWorld.
 
catiii
Posts: 3517
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:18 am

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 12:24 am

phxa340 wrote:
After receiving billions is US aid and then turns around and buys a European jet .... while we know that airlines should buy what’s best for them , the optics on this will be terrible. Hope Trump doesn’t get word , I can already see his twitter post ...


Except 100% of the funds are for payroll support. Payroll support through the CARES Act sits in a segregated account specific for just that, payroll support. It is also audited. There's no way to spend it on CAPEX.
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 1920
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 12:27 am

maverick4002 wrote:
hmmmm, buying 7 new widebody jets in these unique times whilst begging the government for money and inevitably cutting jobs. The optics will not be nice.


It's not that simple. AA and UA also are proceeding with new aircraft deliveries in 2020 amid the crisis. UA confirmed an order for 7 more 787-10s just last month and AA is taking a number of new 787's this year. The finances and payments (and in some cases leases) are hammered out ahead of time. DL might have also opted to retire the 777 fleet as a way to offset the costs associated with new planes and it may need to acquire the A350s which may be cheaper to operate than keeping the 777s they are replacing in many markets.
 
CALMSP
Posts: 3187
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:18 am

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 12:43 am

ILikeTrains wrote:
I smell DL trying to bring QR into their fold. Would not bode well for OneWorld.


except that this doesn't sound like QR giving DL airplanes, simply DL taking delivery slots from the manufacturer. But we'll have to wait and see what else surfaces on this topic to be sure.
 
tphuang
Posts: 5067
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 12:58 am

This seems quite unlikely.
 
JAMBOJET
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:23 pm

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 12:59 am

Are we really giving all this attention to a “rumor from a reliable source” with no link whatsoever?
 
onwFan
Posts: 432
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:02 am

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 1:01 am

ILikeTrains wrote:
I smell DL trying to bring QR into their fold. Would not bode well for OneWorld.

LOL.. And what - make QR sell their 25% stake in IAG? 10% stake in CX? And instead make them invest in all DL's bankrupt partners?

That being said, I would absolutely love that, especially if it means EK cozying up to oneworld fold! :P
 
Ishrion
Posts: 2674
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 1:09 am

cessna2 wrote:
Rumor from a reliable source says DL is set to acquire the 7 A350’s QR currently has on order.


Would these be the current A350-1000s on order or would they be converted to -900s similar to Delta acquiring LATAM’s order?

Could this order be Delta’s “enhanced” A350 fro South Africa?
 
DTWLAX
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:19 pm

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 1:14 am

JAMBOJET wrote:
Are we really giving all this attention to a “rumor from a reliable source” with no link whatsoever?

If there was a credible source/link, it would not be a rumor.
 
cessna2
Topic Author
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:16 am

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 1:49 am

I think if this deal saves American jobs it won't get any pushback. The 62 million to LATAM helps DL in the short term. The rumored deal with QR would help it in the long term when traffic recovers. I think there will be more announcements about fleet simplification in the coming weeks. Now is the time to make these changes without having to worry about not having enough capacity for current bookings.
 
wingnutmn
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:27 am

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 1:59 am

lightsaber wrote:
If true, wise. How much would QR subsidize DL? This is getting so complicated! Only in a global shutdown would this even be plausible.

Seriously, what does it say about the state of aviation that we can seriously discuss DL forfeiting $62M and then cheaply taking over QR A350 orders and saving DL cash over the suddenly retired 777s.

If DL doesn't pay anything for 2 years, the optics self correct. With 34 QR A359s on order... plausible.

My question becomes, why only 7? :duck:

Lightsaber


Because the 7 QR A359's, and the 10 new orders they took from LATAM, is 17 of the 18 777s that were just retired.

Wingnut
Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing! It's a bonus if you can fly the plane again!!
 
x1234
Posts: 834
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 1:59 am

Delta's solution to the hot & high JNB airport is to make it a triangle flight by adding Cape Town (ATL->JNB->CPT->ATL) allowing them to take full payload.
 
Ishrion
Posts: 2674
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 2:00 am

JAMBOJET wrote:
Are we really giving all this attention to a “rumor from a reliable source” with no link whatsoever?


Considering OP was the creator of the Delta rumored BOS expansion thread (confirmed to be BOS-LGW/MAN) and Delta closing NRT and moving to HND thread (before official announcement), I'd say he's fairly credible.
 
User avatar
zkojq
Posts: 4283
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 2:13 am

In my opinion, the real news story here is QR not taking A350s they have on order. Has the Qatari state finally decided to stop capital injections?
First to fly the 787-9
 
flyinghippo
Posts: 768
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:48 am

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 2:14 am

Since QR is helping out LATAM and might be a big stakeholder for the post-chapter 11 LATAM, DL might be trying to mend fences with QR so DL can continue their JV with LATAM. And I think DL should make peace with the ME3 airlines. In these days, airlines are more likely to come out in better shape by working with each other. IIRC, DL's issue with the ME3 was started by Anderson, the last CEO. Ed might have a different view on this and, if this rumor is true, extending an olive branch to QR.

As for prying QR away from OW... I seriously doubt it - as another poster said, QR's investment in OW partners (IAG, CX) is would be difficult to untangle. Even if QR wants to sell their share, it would be a terrible time since IAG and CX value has more than halved this year.
 
cessna2
Topic Author
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:16 am

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 2:42 am

flyinghippo wrote:
Since QR is helping out LATAM and might be a big stakeholder for the post-chapter 11 LATAM, DL might be trying to mend fences with QR so DL can continue their JV with LATAM. And I think DL should make peace with the ME3 airlines. In these days, airlines are more likely to come out in better shape by working with each other. IIRC, DL's issue with the ME3 was started by Anderson, the last CEO. Ed might have a different view on this and, if this rumor is true, extending an olive branch to QR.

As for prying QR away from OW... I seriously doubt it - as another poster said, QR's investment in OW partners (IAG, CX) is would be difficult to untangle. Even if QR wants to sell their share, it would be a terrible time since IAG and CX value has more than halved this year.

This was my initial thought as well. Now is not the time to continue building divides. Now is the time to work together to ensure each others survival.
 
alfa164
Posts: 3514
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 2:43 am

CALMSP wrote:
ILikeTrains wrote:
I smell DL trying to bring QR into their fold. Would not bode well for OneWorld.

except that this doesn't sound like QR giving DL airplanes, simply DL taking delivery slots from the manufacturer. But we'll have to wait and see what else surfaces on this topic to be sure.


:checkmark: And, depending on the financing options airframe manufacturer offers, there may be no payments due until 2-4 years after delivery (a la AirTran). With a minimum financial liability, this could be very viable.
Last edited by alfa164 on Thu May 28, 2020 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
User avatar
CarlosSi
Posts: 654
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:29 pm

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 2:44 am

wingnutmn wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
If true, wise. How much would QR subsidize DL? This is getting so complicated! Only in a global shutdown would this even be plausible.

Seriously, what does it say about the state of aviation that we can seriously discuss DL forfeiting $62M and then cheaply taking over QR A350 orders and saving DL cash over the suddenly retired 777s.

If DL doesn't pay anything for 2 years, the optics self correct. With 34 QR A359s on order... plausible.

My question becomes, why only 7? :duck:

Lightsaber


Because the 7 QR A359's, and the 10 new orders they took from LATAM, is 17 of the 18 777s that were just retired.

Wingnut


I agree. It’s probably in the interest of fleet simplification. A solid a330/a350 (and 767) wide body fleet.... shoot that’s it?
 
32andBelow
Posts: 4804
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 3:13 am

catiii wrote:
phxa340 wrote:
After receiving billions is US aid and then turns around and buys a European jet .... while we know that airlines should buy what’s best for them , the optics on this will be terrible. Hope Trump doesn’t get word , I can already see his twitter post ...


Except 100% of the funds are for payroll support. Payroll support through the CARES Act sits in a segregated account specific for just that, payroll support. It is also audited. There's no way to spend it on CAPEX.

Why’s the difference? It’s more money in their other accounts if their payroll is subsidized.
 
xwb565
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:01 pm

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 3:36 am

There are a few aspects of this rumor which are doubtful. DL is likely interested in the a359. All of QR's upcoming birds(parts will be in the pipeline) are a35ks. If they are taking slots further down the road, they might as well just stick to their current deal with Airbus as there will be no great delivery timeline advantage. Perhaps it is not QR but rather some of the empty shell white tails emerging from the covid situation?
 
jbs2886
Posts: 2330
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 3:51 am

xwb565 wrote:
There are a few aspects of this rumor which are doubtful. DL is likely interested in the a359. All of QR's upcoming birds(parts will be in the pipeline) are a35ks. If they are taking slots further down the road, they might as well just stick to their current deal with Airbus as there will be no great delivery timeline advantage. Perhaps it is not QR but rather some of the empty shell white tails emerging from the covid situation?


Valid points, but: (1) I wouldn't necessarily rule out A350-1000s from DL's plan because that plan has changed since COVID-19 (e.g., 777 retirement and, my personal opinion, is a large widebody order was likely this year, and now that plan has changed), and (2) I think you will see *a lot* of slot/production changes (i.e., someone else takes the A35Ks already having parts produced and then A359s could get reassigned to DL).

I doubt it on the white tails mainly because if they were interested in existing aircraft, they would have kept the 4 LATAM aircraft. Picking up order slots allows DL to avoid a sub-fleet and/or have the aircraft according to its requirements.

I think this is possible and frankly makes sense in light of LATAM (and to a lesser extent, Virgin Australia), but it would represent a fundamental shift in relations between DL and ME3.
 
klkla
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:51 am

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 4:06 am

I just don't see the point in this. If Delta wants 350's that bad I'm sure they could get them on their own without Qatar's help. Unless Qatar is paying Delta to take them, which doesn't make sense either. Qatar could just defer them.
 
LJ
Posts: 5290
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 1999 8:28 pm

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 5:14 am

klkla wrote:
I just don't see the point in this. If Delta wants 350's that bad I'm sure they could get them on their own without Qatar's help. Unless Qatar is paying Delta to take them, which doesn't make sense either. Qatar could just defer them.


Unless QR doesn't need them anymore and doesn't want to pay any cancellation fee (if there is any).
 
marcelh
Posts: 1011
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 6:26 am

How does the payload-range chart of the A35K compare to the B77L?
 
Westerwaelder
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:27 pm

Re: ⁷: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 6:26 am

ILikeTrains wrote:
I smell DL trying to bring QR into their fold. Would not bode well for OneWorld.


Not impossible but bit of a tall order. QR out of oneworld is not unthinkable given past records but what would they get out of it? They have a great relationship with IAG which would at least be complicated by a close partnership/JV with DL... what can DL offer that AA can"t? Connectivity from CVG, SLC and MSP?
 
bcbhokie
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:30 am

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 6:27 am

This makes total sense. There is no way Delta has the political capital to contribute in any way to bailing out LATAM after taking US government assistance, although they really need to salvage some value out of their investment and try to move forward with a healthy partner once the recovery begins.

Meanwhile, Qatar can throw around money like a drunken sailor to help out LATAM, but has too many aircraft on order for a post-COVID19 world... and would really like to reach some level of detente with the American carriers.

Delta takes 7 unwanted A350s from QR (typical actual sale price: 150 million each => ~1 billion dollars). QR and partners make a debtor-in-possession loan to LATAM of... 900 million.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. Delta's not investing more in LATAM, they're making an opportunistic purchase of fuel efficient planes to save money in a crisis - at least when the US public is asking. Behind the scenes, I'm sure there's much, much more to this than just acquiring a few cheap airframes.
 
Westerwaelder
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:27 pm

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 6:28 am

JAMBOJET wrote:
Are we really giving all this attention to a “rumor from a reliable source” with no link whatsoever?


Good point. So easy to get carried away..
 
Westerwaelder
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:27 pm

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 6:36 am

bcbhokie wrote:
This makes total sense. There is no way Delta has the political capital to contribute in any way to bailing out LATAM after taking US government assistance, although they really need to salvage some value out of their investment and try to move forward with a healthy partner once the recovery begins.

Meanwhile, Qatar can throw around money like a drunken sailor to help out LATAM, but has too many aircraft on order for a post-COVID19 world... and would really like to reach some level of detente with the American carriers.

Delta takes 7 unwanted A350s from QR (typical actual sale price: 150 million each => ~1 billion dollars). QR and partners make a debtor-in-possession loan to LATAM of... 900 million.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. Delta's not investing more in LATAM, they're making an opportunistic purchase of fuel efficient planes to save money in a crisis - at least when the US public is asking. Behind the scenes, I'm sure there's much, much more to this than just acquiring a few cheap airframes.


Great thinking. Only, what's in it for QR? They are putting up money to protect their previous investment in LA. DL's contribution would be the comparably small cancellation fee for the four frames. I can't see the seven frames being that much of an issue for QR that they go through all of this just to get close to DL? They are clearly talking now but if we all know it, so do AA and the rest of oneworld. Not much of a secret trick...
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3583
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 6:41 am

maverick4002 wrote:
hmmmm, buying 7 new widebody jets in these unique times whilst begging the government for money and inevitably cutting jobs. The optics will not be nice.


The optics are "We believe that service levels will come back" When everyone is worried in all industries, that is a good Optic for others to see.
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3583
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 6:44 am

phxa340 wrote:
After receiving billions is US aid and then turns around and buys a European jet .... while we know that airlines should buy what’s best for them , the optics on this will be terrible. Hope Trump doesn’t get word , I can already see his twitter post ...


You realize a large part of every Airbus plane is made from US parts!
 
jagraham
Posts: 1075
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:10 pm

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 6:44 am

lightsaber wrote:
If true, wise. How much would QR subsidize DL? This is getting so complicated! Only in a global shutdown would this even be plausible.

Seriously, what does it say about the state of aviation that we can seriously discuss DL forfeiting $62M and then cheaply taking over QR A350 orders and saving DL cash over the suddenly retired 777s.

If DL doesn't pay anything for 2 years, the optics self correct. With 34 QR A359s on order... plausible.

My question becomes, why only 7? :duck:

Lightsaber


Probably because DL needs latest and greatest A359s to do a decent job of replacing 77Ls on the three ULH routes. Especially JNB.

Discussions in other posts suggest DL has 3 or 4 A359s with high MTOW, new winglet, and wing twist that can do JNB with CPT stop westbound. 7 more would take them up to 10 or 11 of the latest and greatest, about a 1 for 1 replacement of the soon to be gone 77Ls.

There is still the question of, why take over slots from a ME3 carrier??? I thought DL hated the ME3. But I guess considering DL took the payroll protection money (with its limitations), and something needed to be done for LATAM, once the finances become clear, it might make some sense.
 
bcbhokie
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:30 am

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 6:52 am

Westerwaelder wrote:
bcbhokie wrote:
This makes total sense. There is no way Delta has the political capital to contribute in any way to bailing out LATAM after taking US government assistance, although they really need to salvage some value out of their investment and try to move forward with a healthy partner once the recovery begins.

Meanwhile, Qatar can throw around money like a drunken sailor to help out LATAM, but has too many aircraft on order for a post-COVID19 world... and would really like to reach some level of detente with the American carriers.

Delta takes 7 unwanted A350s from QR (typical actual sale price: 150 million each => ~1 billion dollars). QR and partners make a debtor-in-possession loan to LATAM of... 900 million.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. Delta's not investing more in LATAM, they're making an opportunistic purchase of fuel efficient planes to save money in a crisis - at least when the US public is asking. Behind the scenes, I'm sure there's much, much more to this than just acquiring a few cheap airframes.


Great thinking. Only, what's in it for QR? They are putting up money to protect their previous investment in LA. DL's contribution would be the comparably small cancellation fee for the four frames. I can't see the seven frames being that much of an issue for QR that they go through all of this just to get close to DL? They are clearly talking now but if we all know it, so do AA and the rest of oneworld. Not much of a secret trick...


I think the main benefit for QR is a graceful exit from purchasing too many aircraft. Delta likely wants slots soon for 777 backfill, and soon is exactly when QR does not want more lift.

The money is just gravy on top - not hard to imagine the deal being structured such that QR saves $10-20M per aircraft in cancellation fees, which can then be 10% or more of the needed financing for LATAM. If Delta had to pay $15M each to not take 3 year old used aircraft, I have to imagine Airbus's cancellation fee for new orders is at least in the same ballpark, if not larger.

In other words, if QR was going to cancel these anyway, Delta taking over the slots is a substantial amount of money back in QR's pockets they don't have to spend.
 
IWMBH
Posts: 614
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:01 pm

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 7:01 am

Well I haven’t seen any legitimate source, so I don’t about this. This deal seem weird to me because of multiple reasons.

But, "the time to buy is when there's blood in the streets." DL might be using these bad times to improve their positions for when the market returns to normal. Cheap fuel efficient planes can help them with that.
 
VV
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 7:14 am

cessna2 wrote:
Rumor from a reliable source says DL is set to acquire the 7 A350’s QR currently has on order. I’m sure more details will be released in the coming days. If true this would explain the $62 million paid to LATAM to let go of the 4 used frames. Ed has said it would’ve costed more to refurbish the jets than to order directly from Airbus. Thoughts?


If Qatar does not need the 7 aircraft any more and if Delta needs more A350 then it may not be a rumor at all.
 
Jomar777
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:45 am

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 10:56 am

It is a Rumour so not much is known. DL needs A350s so it can retire their B777s.It is best to buy those as Airbus' slots because if avoids conversion and refurbishment costs. QR might have theirs on a deliver schedule that is the best for DL and do not want them.

All very feasible but we will only know once it is formally published. Obviously UA's A350s are gone so no joy there. Who knows? Maybe Airbus broke this deal to avoid losing QR's ones?

But I think that the story ends here. Nothing to deal with fleecing QR to an Alliance it does not want to join (if they ever leave OW will be not to join any other alliance probably...) neither cosy them up in regards to DL's participation in LATAM (which will probably become a different monster once they are through their Chapter 11 process for their Chilean arm...)
 
DCA350
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 11:21 am

Jomar777 wrote:
It is a Rumour so not much is known. DL needs A350s so it can retire their B777s.It is best to buy those as Airbus' slots because if avoids conversion and refurbishment costs. QR might have theirs on a deliver schedule that is the best for DL and do not want them.

All very feasible but we will only know once it is formally published. Obviously UA's A350s are gone so no joy there. Who knows? Maybe Airbus broke this deal to avoid losing QR's ones?

But I think that the story ends here. Nothing to deal with fleecing QR to an Alliance it does not want to join (if they ever leave OW will be not to join any other alliance probably...) neither cosy them up in regards to DL's participation in LATAM (which will probably become a different monster once they are through their Chapter 11 process for their Chilean arm...)


Interesting that UA's A350s are gone even though they have expanded the order 3 times.. Something will have to replace that huge fleet of 777ERs over the next decade. Sure 787s will replace some but it's very likely the A350s take over the heavy lifting routes that can't handle the capacity of the 777W, ORD to HKG for instance.
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 8278
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 11:32 am

ILikeTrains wrote:
I smell DL trying to bring QR into their fold. Would not bode well for OneWorld.


Both together can buy majority stake in IAG, Delta(UK) would get control of LHR hub.
All posts are just opinions.
 
User avatar
chunhimlai
Posts: 597
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:03 am

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 11:43 am

Is it a signal that QR takeovers DL and we will see Qatari American Airline
 
onwFan
Posts: 432
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:02 am

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 11:57 am

DCA350 wrote:
Jomar777 wrote:
It is a Rumour so not much is known. DL needs A350s so it can retire their B777s.It is best to buy those as Airbus' slots because if avoids conversion and refurbishment costs. QR might have theirs on a deliver schedule that is the best for DL and do not want them.

All very feasible but we will only know once it is formally published. Obviously UA's A350s are gone so no joy there. Who knows? Maybe Airbus broke this deal to avoid losing QR's ones?

But I think that the story ends here. Nothing to deal with fleecing QR to an Alliance it does not want to join (if they ever leave OW will be not to join any other alliance probably...) neither cosy them up in regards to DL's participation in LATAM (which will probably become a different monster once they are through their Chapter 11 process for their Chilean arm...)


Interesting that UA's A350s are gone even though they have expanded the order 3 times.. Something will have to replace that huge fleet of 777ERs over the next decade. Sure 787s will replace some but it's very likely the A350s take over the heavy lifting routes that can't handle the capacity of the 777W, ORD to HKG for instance.

Except UA does not fly ORD-HKG anymore.
 
sxf24
Posts: 993
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:22 pm

Re: Rumor: DL to acquire 7 A350’s from QR

Thu May 28, 2020 12:31 pm

Uh, hello? If recipients of CARES Act Payroll Support can’t provide capital to their investments, how could they go commit $1B to airplanes they don’t need? I see a desperate attempt to create a narrative.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos