Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Labeach259
Topic Author

Skywest...... Goes out on it own.... possible?

Thu May 28, 2020 1:40 am

Skywest has been doing some of its own flights while also running for the Majors...
In the post COVID-19 landscape with majors downsizing.... is there room for Skywest to move out on its own??
Just wondering

jetmatt777

Re: Skywest...... Goes out on it own.... possible?

Thu May 28, 2020 1:46 am

Do you have any sources on this? I am not aware of any flying OO has done branded and marketed on their own, at least for close to 20 years. They have at-risk flying but the majors still handle ticket sales and handling.

Moosefire

Thu May 28, 2020 1:48 am

Sounds like a great idea, especially with all the unmet demand these days. I think the Industry as a whole could really benefit from a little extra capacity
MD-11F/C-17A Pilot

flyfresno

Thu May 28, 2020 1:49 am

Based on all the amazing success Expressjet and Atlantic Coast (AKA Independence Air) had* "moving out on their own," I would guess no...

strfyr51

Thu May 28, 2020 2:05 am

flyfresno wrote:
Based on all the amazing success Expressjet and Atlantic Coast (AKA Independence Air) had* "moving out on their own," I would guess no...

Atlantic Coast did it out of spite and Haphazardly. They thought they were going to leave UAX service and take slots with them that didn't belong TO them. they got the bad news the hard way. On the day they Left! I watched them struggle as Independence air with their A320's at SFO. Where we at United might have helped then. We couldn't and we didn't. when we could have. Their management was arrogant and Stupid.

strfyr51

Thu May 28, 2020 2:15 am

strfyr51 wrote:
flyfresno wrote:

Atlantic Coast did it out of spite and Haphazardly. They thought they were going to leave UAX service and take slots with them that didn't belong TO them. they got the bad news the hard way. On the day they Left! I watched them struggle as Independence air with their A320's at SFO. Where we at United might have helped then. We couldn't and we didn't. when we could have. Their management was arrogant and Stupid.

And? Later on after the Damage was done? They wanted to come back to the UAX fold as Atlantic Coast, Air Wisconsin was another nearly sob story, they pushed their luck and got cut down to the core, I'd hope they get back in the fold but memories seem to remember for a LONG time. As meanwhile? Carriers like SkyWest? Are doing the DO. I remember they started with 27 Banderante airplanes, now they have what? 500? regional Jets?

bigb

Thu May 28, 2020 2:15 am

Skywest has always done at-risk flying.

strfyr51

Thu May 28, 2020 2:20 am

I think a number of regionals might go out on their own if David Neeleman actually initiates MOXY and flies independently across the USA. I think Mesa might even follow that scenario as they've been itching to cut their own path independent of the Express routes they've been flying.

flyfresno

Thu May 28, 2020 2:22 am

bigb wrote:
Skywest has always done at-risk flying.

I guess the poster has to clarify: at-risk flying and completely independent flying are two totally different animals...

alasizon

Thu May 28, 2020 2:25 am

strfyr51 wrote:
I think a number of regionals might go out on their own if David Neeleman actually initiates MOXY and flies independently across the USA. I think Mesa might even follow that scenario as they've been itching to cut their own path independent of the Express routes they've been flying.

Mesa can't even run their branded operations where the commercial side (ticketing, pax, customer support, etc.) is handled for them. Their SOC no longer even staffs aircraft routers, they just run the routing as stuff goes and if it breaks, then they deal with it. Not to mention go! wasn't a big success, nor was their attempt at setting up an airline in China, nor was their Air Midwest flying back in the day.

SkyWest has the market development folks on staff and the ability but immediately post-COVID likely isn't the right market for them to start branded Ops. Plus, they probably do better with their existing at-risk arrangements as they get the best of both worlds (the revenue for the flights plus the connections from the majors).
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

strfyr51

Thu May 28, 2020 3:14 am

alasizon wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:

Mesa can't even run their branded operations where the commercial side (ticketing, pax, customer support, etc.) is handled for them. Their SOC no longer even staffs aircraft routers, they just run the routing as stuff goes and if it breaks, then they deal with it. Not to mention go! wasn't a big success, nor was their attempt at setting up an airline in China, nor was their Air Midwest flying back in the day.

SkyWest has the market development folks on staff and the ability but immediately post-COVID likely isn't the right market for them to start branded Ops. Plus, they probably do better with their existing at-risk arrangements as they get the best of both worlds (the revenue for the flights plus the connections from the majors).

I don't remember mentioning SkyWest going independent. I know they have a well run operation and are well respected. Could they? I'm sure they could?
Would they? That I wouldn't bet on. I've listened to some of the morning conference calls for UAX while at the WHQ. they were interesting. you could tell who had their program together and who was flying by the seat of their Pants. I always thought they should have had some UAX managers in house at the Willis. We could have done some good work with them in ops and Maintenance. I've He lives at home where he works and he's happy as a clam,

dcajet

Thu May 28, 2020 3:17 am

Labeach259 wrote:
Skywest has been doing some of its own flights while also running for the Majors...
In the post COVID-19 landscape with majors downsizing.... is there room for Skywest to move out on its own??
Just wondering

Independence Air - Part Deux?
Keep calm and wash your hands.

alasizon

Thu May 28, 2020 3:41 am

strfyr51 wrote:
alasizon wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:

I don't remember mentioning SkyWest going independent.

That is what the OP asked about
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos