Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VCy
Topic Author

Wizz Air (finally) announces LCA base.

Thu May 28, 2020 7:36 am

Wizz Air has today announced LCA, Cyprus as their new base, with 2 aircraft to be based there for the beginning.

11 new destinations will be added, including cities in Greece, Denmark, Finland, Austria, Poland and Germany. Wizz already served the following routes from LCA: Belgrade, Budapest, Chişinău, Cluj-Napoca, Iași, Katowice, Kiev–Zhuliany, Kraków, Kutaisi, London–Luton, Lviv, Skopje, Sofia, Varna, Vienna, Vilnius, Warsaw–Chopin, Yerevan.

The base will start in July.

Source in Greek for now, but I will post it in English once Wizz releases its statement. You can watch the live announcement from Wizz in the link as well.

http://www.reporter.com.cy/local-news/article/683341/

Someone83

Re: Wizz Air (finally) announces LCA base.

Thu May 28, 2020 8:32 am

Any news on routes and frequencies?

diesel1

Thu May 28, 2020 9:15 am

Destinations on this link, together with frequency, days of travel and lead in prices

https://inbusinessnews.reporter.com.cy/ ... i-wizz-air

(Article in Greek, destinations in picture, in English)
I don't like signatures...

Blerg

Thu May 28, 2020 10:55 am

I think they are still loading flights into the system but for the time being it seems like LCA-ATH will be at least 9 weekly with two flights on Mondays and Fridays. To be honest it never made sense for them to have 'only' daily flights in a market that has around 1.1 million passengers a year.

So far seems like these are the times that are being slowly loaded into the system.

LCA-ATH
06.40-08.30
19.35-21.25

ATH-LCA
09.15-10.55
21.55-23.35

This will be extremely interesting to follow as Aegean has so far dominated the market. I wonder how Blueair and Cyprus Airways will respond as they will all directly compete with Wizz Air from LCA.

VCy
Topic Author

Thu May 28, 2020 12:21 pm

For some reason a lot of the CPH and ATH flights appear as sold out on the website whereas the rest are available to book.

albertocsc

Thu May 28, 2020 1:33 pm

It seems they announced also today a base in Milan MXP. Tomorrow two more bases are due to be announced.

Blerg

Thu May 28, 2020 2:01 pm

VCy wrote:
For some reason a lot of the CPH and ATH flights appear as sold out on the website whereas the rest are available to book.

The base was only announced today, it will take a few days before all flights are loaded into the system.

SMKCosmopolitan

Thu May 28, 2020 2:11 pm

albertocsc wrote:
It seems they announced also today a base in Milan MXP. Tomorrow two more bases are due to be announced.

That's certainly some great news! Do you know which basis will be announced tomorrow?

SeanM1997

Thu May 28, 2020 2:24 pm

Athens (ATH) - Daily - begins 1 July 2020
Billund (BLL) - 2x weekly - begins 2 July 2020
Copenhagen (CPH) - 3x weekly - begins 1 July 2020
Dortmund (DTM) - 3x weekly - begins 11 July 2020
Karlsruhe / Baden-Baden (FKB) - 2x weekly - begins 4 July 2020
Memmingen (FMM) - 3x weekly - begins 11 July 2020
Salzburg (SZG) - 2x weekly - begins 12 July 2020
Suceava (SVC) - 2x weekly - begins 13 July 2020
Thessaloniki (SKG) - Daily - begins 1 July 2020
Turku (TKU) - 2x weekly - begins 12 July 2020
Wroclaw (WRO) - 2x weekly - begins 13 July 2020

Blerg

Thu May 28, 2020 2:25 pm

I am surprised they didn't go for LCA-TLV, it's a short flight (40 minutes) while the market is pretty big. Last summer there were over 40 weekly flights if I remember correctly.

VCy
Topic Author

Thu May 28, 2020 2:59 pm

Blerg wrote:
I am surprised they didn't go for LCA-TLV, it's a short flight (40 minutes) while the market is pretty big. Last summer there were over 40 weekly flights if I remember correctly.

They said during the conference that more will follow in the coming weeks.

marcogr12

Thu May 28, 2020 3:11 pm

29th base at MXP-20 new routes!

Destination Days Starts Fares from**
Milan Malpensa –Eindhoven Daily 3 July 2020 €19.99
Milan Malpensa – Reykjavík Monday, Wednesday, Friday 3 July 2020 €44.99
Milan Malpensa – London Luton Daily 3 July 2020 €24.99
Milan Malpensa – Tel Aviv Daily 3 July 2020 €44.99
Milan Malpensa – Tenerife Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday 4 July 2020 €44.99
Milan Malpensa – Gran Canaria Wednesday, Sunday 5 July 2020 €39.99
Milan Malpensa – Lisbon Daily 17 July 2020 €29.99
Milan Malpensa – Porto Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Sunday 17 July 2020 €29.99
Milan Malpensa – Valencia Daily 17 July 2020 €24.99
Milan Malpensa – Zakinthos Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday 1 August 2020 €34.99
Milan Malpensa – Tallinn Tuesday, Saturday 18 July 2020 €29.99
Milan Malpensa –Pristina Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday 18 July 2020 €29.99
Milan Malpensa – Santorini Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday 31 July 2020 €34.99
Milan Malpensa – Thessaloniki Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday 31 July 2020 €24.99
Milan Malpensa – Athens Daily 31 July 2020 €29.99
Milan Malpensa – Corfu Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday 31 July 2020 €29.99
Milan Malpensa – Fuerteventura Monday, Friday 31 July 2020 €39.99
Milan Malpensa – Mahon Daily 31 July 2020 €29.99
Milan Malpensa – Marrakesh Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday 1 August 2020 €34.99
Milan Malpensa – Rhodes Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday 1 August 2020 €34.99
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..

Blerg

Thu May 28, 2020 3:39 pm

VCy wrote:
Blerg wrote:

More what? Destinations? Frequencies?

VCy
Topic Author

Thu May 28, 2020 3:46 pm

Blerg wrote:
VCy wrote:
Blerg wrote:

More aircraft and destinations. They seem to be following destinations where the Cypriot government already announced that they won't have any restrictions this summer. As more countries will be opening up by the government they will probably follow. They mentioned during the press conference that they don't enter existing markets, but they enter markets that they can create demand.

Blerg

Thu May 28, 2020 3:53 pm

VCy wrote:
Blerg wrote:
VCy wrote:

More aircraft and destinations. They seem to be following destinations where the Cypriot government already announced that they won't have any restrictions this summer. As more countries will be opening up by the government they will probably follow. They mentioned during the press conference that they don't enter existing markets, but they enter markets that they can create demand.

I could see them launch AUH-LCA in the future though I have a feeling it will result in EK being replaced by FZ.

P1aneMad

Thu May 28, 2020 4:38 pm

If EK can send a daily 777W to LCA I highly doubt that they will relegate the route to a FZ 737.

davidjohnson6

Thu May 28, 2020 4:52 pm

The Emirates route to Larnaca is shared with Malta. I very much doubt that Larnaca is able to support a 777 to Dubai on its own

Draken21fx

Thu May 28, 2020 5:09 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
The Emirates route to Larnaca is shared with Malta. I very much doubt that Larnaca is able to support a 777 to Dubai on its own

There used to be a 2x weekly (if I remember correctly) Malta - Paphos Ryanair flights as well before the recent developments so I guess there is some traffic between the two islands.
Last edited by Draken21fx on Thu May 28, 2020 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blerg

Thu May 28, 2020 5:16 pm

P1aneMad wrote:
If EK can send a daily 777W to LCA I highly doubt that they will relegate the route to a FZ 737.

I think LCA was exclusively served by EK the last time many years ago (maybe 15 years ago) when one summer they boosted it to about 10 weekly with three flights at night. Since then LCA has varied between 5 and 7 weekly flights, always tagged to something. From the top of my head there was Athens, Beirut and now Malta.

omochiwokudasai

Thu May 28, 2020 6:19 pm

albertocsc wrote:

do you know where they are going to open those bases?

marcogr12

Thu May 28, 2020 6:31 pm

VCy wrote:
Blerg wrote:
VCy wrote:

If that were true why did they enter the overcrowded LCA-Greece market?
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..

VCy
Topic Author

Thu May 28, 2020 6:38 pm

marcogr12 wrote:
VCy wrote:
Blerg wrote:

If that were true why did they enter the overcrowded LCA-Greece market?

What they meant was in some cases. Not all of them. Of course if there's space in a successful market and they can enter, why not! I think a good example for this would be what they did for LCA - Poland. Wizz arrived and Poland became popular with Cypriots, similar with Ryanair and Jordan.

Blerg

Thu May 28, 2020 7:22 pm

I think any airline that decides to launch a base in Cyprus has to capture a part of Cyprus-UK and Cyprus-Greece market. Those are the only two destinations where there is enough demand to sustain multiple daily flights on a year-round basis.
Looking at the list of destinations, I don't think they are going to be stimulating much of a demand as all those places have been a large source of tourism for Cyprus. I mean there are days when in summer there are 30 flights from Nordic cities to LCA. So there isn't much to stimulate there, the market is quite mature. Naturally facts are one thing and Wizz Air PR a whole different thing.

VCy
Topic Author

Fri May 29, 2020 5:33 am

Blerg wrote:
I think any airline that decides to launch a base in Cyprus has to capture a part of Cyprus-UK and Cyprus-Greece market. Those are the only two destinations where there is enough demand to sustain multiple daily flights on a year-round basis.
Looking at the list of destinations, I don't think they are going to be stimulating much of a demand as all those places have been a large source of tourism for Cyprus. I mean there are days when in summer there are 30 flights from Nordic cities to LCA. So there isn't much to stimulate there, the market is quite mature. Naturally facts are one thing and Wizz Air PR a whole different thing.

True. I'll believe the "stimulate" comments if we see something to France, Spain or even Portugal.

Blerg

Fri May 29, 2020 5:39 am

VCy wrote:
Blerg wrote:

True. I'll believe the "stimulate" comments if we see something to France, Spain or even Portugal.

France has been tried over and over again and it always failed. I think this has to do with demand being spread out throughout the country (France) and not focused around one or two cities. Cyprus Airways struggled most of the time in Paris and by the end they had five weekly on the A320 even with all the transfers to Beirut and Tel Aviv. Aegean tried it as well and it failed and Cobalt also operated it for a while.

Seasonal flights could work as far as tourists go but I doubt there is enough demand for year-round flights, stimulation or not. That is why airlines that operate a hub and spoke system do so well in LCA. There is demand for so many different places but usually it is not enough to sustain a few flights here and there on a year-round basis. Just look at LCA numbers, over 1.100.000 passengers in August and then 300.000 in November. Seasonality is horrible in Cyprus.

albertocsc

Fri May 29, 2020 3:02 pm

omochiwokudasai wrote:
albertocsc wrote:

do you know where they are going to open those bases?

It was already commented in another thread, but it is Tirana as a base, and Salzburg not as a base but kind of a "focus city".

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos