Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetmatt777

Re: United announces Voluntary Separation Program

Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:16 pm

There's plenty of seats if you don't care where you are going and re just flying just to fly. Pass travel is useless if you have any definite plans. I'm not going to throw away hotel or cruise reservations because I gambled trying to fly for free. I always buy tickets now, not worth the stress or hassle when I am trying to enjoy my time off traveling.

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:49 pm

I know lots of people who have gotten alot of uses of passes travelled both domestic and international quite often right before covid. Younger people who want to explore and have fun can get lots of use! Again alot will book airbnbs day of and be flexible you have to want to travel not need to get on a specific flight for a cruise departure. If you have a cruise to catch you are exactly not the person who a pass works for, and I don't think most considering this offer have cruises to catch. Only the very junior staff would even consider this offer, and for them a pass could be very valuable. Some barely started working and have not had time to travel yet

N649DL

Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:25 pm

DoctorVenkman wrote:
If you take this deal you better be ready to go into a different industry. It's not like there's anyone hiring out there.

That's not necessarily true. I work for a consulting firm and all our manufacturing clients are still going strong. Construction is especially still active. I'm on brief Medical Leave for a potential Heart Condition (for testing to make sure it's nothing severe.) However, before I took leave we had a team of almost 15 people working on this particular client on various technology and marketing consulting projects. Our team even expanded during the spread of COVID-19 because we actually had a large backlog of work available.

I would think the United Cargo branch could be an OK division to step into if you're a front line employee. Yet based on the messaging, it just sounds like UAL wants to cut headcount in general so they can slim down payroll expenses in the short term. You have to figure that eventually this is all going to end and they'll need to increase headcount once again at some point. Benefits don't seem horrible, but if I were to take the deal I'd want consistent pay for at least 3-6 months.

Also keep in mind, UA has been probably wanted to pull a plan like this off in some way at corporate in Willis Tower for a while as well. They've always have had way too many highly paid middle management roles (likely with bloated overlap between divisions; stemming to when they brought some CO folks up from Houston after the merger) and figure this is a good time to consolidate HQ headcount.

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:03 am

99% of people who get laid off will find jobs in other Industries , at least temporarily. They are not hiring

DoctorVenkman

Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:02 pm

N649DL wrote:
DoctorVenkman wrote:
If you take this deal you better be ready to go into a different industry. It's not like there's anyone hiring out there.

That's not necessarily true. I work for a consulting firm and all our manufacturing clients are still going strong. Construction is especially still active. I'm on brief Medical Leave for a potential Heart Condition (for testing to make sure it's nothing severe.) However, before I took leave we had a team of almost 15 people working on this particular client on various technology and marketing consulting projects. Our team even expanded during the spread of COVID-19 because we actually had a large backlog of work available.

I would think the United Cargo branch could be an OK division to step into if you're a front line employee. Yet based on the messaging, it just sounds like UAL wants to cut headcount in general so they can slim down payroll expenses in the short term. You have to figure that eventually this is all going to end and they'll need to increase headcount once again at some point. Benefits don't seem horrible, but if I were to take the deal I'd want consistent pay for at least 3-6 months.

Also keep in mind, UA has been probably wanted to pull a plan like this off in some way at corporate in Willis Tower for a while as well. They've always have had way too many highly paid middle management roles (likely with bloated overlap between divisions; stemming to when they brought some CO folks up from Houston after the merger) and figure this is a good time to consolidate HQ headcount.

I'm not sure how your example of manufacturing and technology being unaffected means that laid off FAs, pilots, desk agents, etc. would be able to find new jobs in the aviation industry? Imagine you're a laid off FA - where do you go? Who is hiring FAs right now? Even if there were someone hiring, the competition would be fierce since every laid off employee would be applying for the same position. This is a deal with the devil unless you're looking to leave the aviation industry for good.

nws2002

Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:56 pm

Pass travel is great. I nonreved every weekend for awhile. You have to be flexible, with both dates and destinations. Also be willing to just go to the airport and see if you get on. I know many of my coworkers will just look at loads and not even go to the airport. I've gotten on many flights that were scheduled to fly out full of revenue passengers and had a long list of nonrevs

I definitely wouldn't use it for something like a cruise or major family event unless I had a backup plan and was willing to risk spending the money on a last-minute ticket to get there. I enjoy looking the night before and seeing what is open and then taking a quick weekend trip, but I know some people prefer more planning. Also, until some level of normal happens, pass travel is very difficult. Limitied flights and connection opportunities and seat blocking are all factors in that.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos