Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXintl
Topic Author

United eliminates 13 executive positions

Fri May 29, 2020 8:45 pm

A bunch of musical chairs announced today that will see 13 executive positions eliminated.

United cuts 13 high-level executives
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/29/united- ... t-was.html

Following exec leaving by October 1:
Lynda Coffman, VP United Ground Express
Jim DeYoung, VP Network Operations
Sharon Grant, VP Chief Community Engagement Office
Steve Jaquith, VP Denver Hub
Jill Kaplan, SVP NY/NJ
Mark Krolick, VP Marketing
Praveen Sharma, VP Digital Products and Analytics
Don Wright, VP Line Maintenance.
In addition five additional Officer roles which will not be back filled as those execs move to new positions.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Boof02671

Re: United eliminates 13 executive positions

Fri May 29, 2020 8:57 pm

They are also cutting 30% of management and support staff

UPlog

Fri May 29, 2020 9:25 pm

Kirby not wasting much time shuffling his lieutenants. Reassignment of Greg Hart COO biggest move by far.

Boof02671 wrote:
They are also cutting 30% of management and support staff

Yes those upcoming M&A cuts were posted a few weeks ago.
I fly your boxes

FlyingElvii

Fri May 29, 2020 9:48 pm

VP UGE....
Turning those stations over to Skywest ground?

rocANDtpa

Fri May 29, 2020 10:21 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
VP UGE....

Are you asking if UGE might cease to exist? The reason I ask is because I work at UGE even though I am currently on a leave of absence. In other news UGE announced a few days ago that front line employees will be eligible retiree travel benefits after meeting certain requirements.

tpaewr

Fri May 29, 2020 10:44 pm

I feel bad for everyone losing their jobs but Sharon Grant is amazing. Hate to see her go.

jayunited

Fri May 29, 2020 10:52 pm

UPlog wrote:
Kirby not wasting much time shuffling his lieutenants. Reassignment of Greg Hart COO biggest move by far.

This isn't about him shuffling his lieutenants, these cuts (more to come) should have happened years ago. Of the US3 United has always been management heavy, (I realize the irony here seeing that I am in management myself). However during and especially after bankruptcy UA's management ranks exploded while frontline employees were asked to to more with less. During the early days of the merger Smisek promised to cut management he didn't do it. Oscar (the best CEO thus far in my career) promised to cut management but he backed off and took a different approach. When Kirby first joined United privately he noted just how top heavy United is compared to American. I take no pride in saying this but now that I'm in management I've found it to be absolutely true United literally has people making a six figure salary but do literally nothing. Before COVID hit once it was confirmed that Kirby would be taking over for Oscar it was unspoken but absolutely clear that Kirby would be thinning out the ranks of management. COVID-19 is just helping him get rid of people who whose job never should have existed in the first place.

As far as Greg Hart I'm not 100% sure why he is out but his name is all over UA's attempt to cut IAM represented employees down to part-time and then threaten to take action in June if the IAM's participation rate did not increase. It is my understanding a few days ago Kirby extended an olive branch to the IAM and the announcement of Roitman is no coincidence. Roitman has been with United for over 22 years he started in the trenches and while no one gets to this level without a few enemies, Roitman has more people who respect him than hate him especially frontline employees. I've had interactions with Roitman over the years and Greg Hart over the years, personally I think Roitman is a far better choice than Hart. One last thing is Munoz is still here although chairman of the board he made it clear he did not want to see all his hard work and legacy destroyed.

Hart made a mistake the lawyer in him saw a loophole in the CAREs act and thought he could get away with cutting frontline employees hours like Delta has gotten away with it. What Hart did expect was the lawsuit the IAM filed, then Hart dug in his heels by threatening IAM employees. As much as I believe this was Kirby's decision to ask Hart to step down, I also believe Oscar had a hand in this as well because after all Oscar was still CEO when this happened and it is his legacy that is at stake.

adamblang

Fri May 29, 2020 10:53 pm

Praveen Sharma's a fantastic guy, too.

COSPN

Sat May 30, 2020 12:46 am

Good riddance Greg Hart .

what he tried to do to the IAM employees should have gotten him fired on the spot .. It took years to build the trust of the employees and he flushed it away with a letter that he said he Mailed on May 1 but no one can find a postmark and most got the letters many days later... If you lie you should be fired just like any other employee

atrude777

Sat May 30, 2020 3:03 am

FlyingElvii wrote:
VP UGE....

Unlikely...

Other way around usually. A few of the stations UGE took were former SkyWest that gave up the GH Contract.MTJ, HDN, EGE, JAC..all former SkyWest that UGE took over. SkyWest pulled out of the ground handling.

rocANDtpa wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:
VP UGE....

Are you asking if UGE might cease to exist? The reason I ask is because I work at UGE even though I am currently on a leave of absence. In other news UGE announced a few days ago that front line employees will be eligible retiree travel benefits after meeting certain requirements.

Never say Never, but UGE isn't going to cease to exist anytime soon. Lynda departing is simply a change of positions, not reflective of the UGE Company.

rocANDtpa, Thank you for taking a leave to help all of us at UGE, it's appreciated!

I am so excited at the announcement of the retirement flight benefits too! Great news!

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

strfyr51

Sat May 30, 2020 3:38 am

LAXintl wrote:
A bunch of musical chairs announced today that will see 13 executive positions eliminated.

United cuts 13 high-level executives
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/29/united- ... t-was.html

Following exec leaving by October 1:
Lynda Coffman, VP United Ground Express
Jim DeYoung, VP Network Operations
Sharon Grant, VP Chief Community Engagement Office
Steve Jaquith, VP Denver Hub
Jill Kaplan, SVP NY/NJ.
Mark Krolick, VP Marketing
Praveen Sharma, VP Digital Products and Analytics
Don Wright, VP Line Maintenance.
In addition five additional Officer roles which will not be back filled as those execs move to new positions.

I actually worked for Don Wright and I'm sorry he got the Axe, Jim DeYoung was a pretty good Ops Boss, Another airline would do WELL to get him. The rest of those Guys? SVP of a HUB? or hub Area? All those stations Have Station Managers and a VP over them was a Made up position anyway. And WTF is a community Engagement office? before the Merger United had Regional managers who oversaw multiple station.s in their region. For some reason? United always seems to put on Fat so they can cut it when things go sideways. Maybe they should make it a policy to run "Lean and Mean" with Fewer layers of FAT so the Managers are closer to where the Rubber meets the Road!

kondoo

Sat May 30, 2020 3:50 am

If Nocella and Quayle get to stay, God help UA.

Blerg

Sat May 30, 2020 10:01 am

What does this office do? Seems like one of those made up positions.

Community Engagement Office

simairlinenet

Sat May 30, 2020 1:10 pm

Blerg wrote:

See https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/co ... unity.html

Builds corporate goodwill so it's a positive balance when it needs to be drawn on (like today's difficult times).

jayunited

Sat May 30, 2020 1:17 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
I actually worked for Don Wright and I'm sorry he got the Axe, Jim DeYoung was a pretty good Ops Boss, Another airline would do WELL to get him. The rest of those Guys? SVP of a HUB? or hub Area? All those stations Have Station Managers and a VP over them was a Made up position anyway. And WTF is a community Engagement office? before the Merger United had Regional managers who oversaw multiple station.s in their region. For some reason? United always seems to put on Fat so they can cut it when things go sideways. Maybe they should make it a policy to run "Lean and Mean" with Fewer layers of FAT so the Managers are closer to where the Rubber meets the Road!

You are absolutely correct, when I think back to when I first started with United on the ramp, we had 2 dayshifts, 2 afternoon shifts, and midnight shift. There was one supervisor in each zone on days and afternoons, while midnights had 2 supervisors for the entire ramp operation. There were only 2 operations managers and they reported to the vice president for ORD. Fast forward to today and at the hubs we now have 2 - 3 supervisors in every zone per shift (days, afternoons only), supervisors report to managers, they report to operations managers, then things really get convoluted because we then have managing directors, senior mangers, directors, then vice president of ORD. There are so many layers of Fat created during and after bankruptcy and it was just a way for people to try an insulate themselves against a layoff. The problem is operations managers and higher in most cases are being paid over six figures a year. Willis Tower is no different just in the short time that I've been at Willis Tower the work that one or two people use do we now have six people but the reality is out of the six people there are only two people actually working.

What United needs to end is the ability people in positions of power have to create totally fictional positions specifically designed to insulate the person in power against taking any type of responsibility when things go wrong and insulations against layoffs.

tistpaa727

Sat May 30, 2020 1:33 pm

Blerg wrote:

This is a more important group, office, division (depending on where you work) than one might initially think. Not only does it build a positive image in the community for the company it also engenders goodwill within the employee base...a feeling of giving back and working for a company that is doing the right thing. DL does an amazing job at this and promotes it quite heavily. The office builds a perception that has long-term tangible impact not to mention all of the good it brings to communities around the world.
Don't sweat the little things.

ramprat74

Sat May 30, 2020 2:02 pm

Since the merger, line stations started to get Assistant General Managers. We always had one Station Manager and a few supervisors. We also had double the departures. Now we have two managers and a lot more supervisors. They removed all payroll duties from the supervisors and gave it to the admins, just more workload added to them. Now all these supervisors with less workload just hang out most of their shift.

codc10

Sat May 30, 2020 3:20 pm

kondoo wrote:

Quayle? Really? The architect of the international expansion? What’s your issue with him?

Sometimes, I scratch my head.

Judge1310

Sat May 30, 2020 3:35 pm

codc10 wrote:
kondoo wrote:

Quayle? Really? The architect of the international expansion? What’s your issue with him?

Exactly. All that tells you is that folks who make statements like that have no idea what those individuals actual do/manage.

rocANDtpa

Sat May 30, 2020 3:36 pm

atrude777 wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:
VP UGE....

Unlikely...

Other way around usually. A few of the stations UGE took were former SkyWest that gave up the GH Contract.MTJ, HDN, EGE, JAC..all former SkyWest that UGE took over. SkyWest pulled out of the ground handling.

rocANDtpa wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:
VP UGE....

Never say Never, but UGE isn't going to cease to exist anytime soon. Lynda departing is simply a change of positions, not reflective of the UGE Company.

rocANDtpa, Thank you for taking a leave to help all of us at UGE, it's appreciated!

I am so excited at the announcement of the retirement flight benefits too! Great news!

Alex

Glad to hear Lynda leaving is not indicidive of something bad happening with UGE. Thank you for the compliment but I don't deserve that much credit because its more lucrative staying home with federal stimulus and unemployment funds. However I am looking forward to getting back once demand rebounds. I am equally excited about the retiree travel benefits. A great inventive to stay on until I am 55.

Varsity1

Sat May 30, 2020 3:55 pm

simairlinenet wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Builds corporate goodwill so it's a positive balance when it needs to be drawn on (like today's difficult times).

Sounds like a position that makes no money, yet spends it. Shouldn't exist.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

Blerg

Sat May 30, 2020 3:57 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
simairlinenet wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Sounds like a position that makes no money, yet spends it. Shouldn't exist.

It seems very silly, it can easily be under the marketing department.

CobaltScar

Sat May 30, 2020 3:59 pm

Tons of positions like this at all airlines that need to be cut.

kiowa

Sat May 30, 2020 4:27 pm

jayunited wrote:
UPlog wrote:

Hart made a mistake the lawyer in him saw a loophole in the CAREs act and thought he could get away with cutting frontline employees hours like Delta has gotten away with it. What Hart did expect was the lawsuit the IAM filed, then Hart dug in his heels by threatening IAM employees. As much as I believe this was Kirby's decision to ask Hart to step down, I also believe Oscar had a hand in this as well because after all Oscar was still CEO when this happened and it is his legacy that is at stake.

What has Delta gotten away with?

jayunited

Sat May 30, 2020 4:34 pm

kiowa wrote:
jayunited wrote:
UPlog wrote:

The answer to your question is right there in the same sentence. Please don't pretend like you have no idea what I'm talking about and since this thread is not about Delta I'm going to leave it at that.

LawAndOrder

Sat May 30, 2020 4:36 pm

Can’t have one Ua topic without bringing up Delta. Focus on UA employees and not DL.

777Mech

Sat May 30, 2020 4:36 pm

kiowa wrote:
jayunited wrote:
UPlog wrote:

I'm also interested in this as well.
How can you "get away" from something that wasn't even a part of the deal?

N312RC

Sat May 30, 2020 4:44 pm

jayunited wrote:
You are absolutely correct, when I think back to when I first started with United on the ramp, we had 2 dayshifts, 2 afternoon shifts, and midnight shift. There was one supervisor in each zone on days and afternoons, while midnights had 2 supervisors for the entire ramp operation. There were only 2 operations managers and they reported to the vice president for ORD. Fast forward to today and at the hubs we now have 2 - 3 supervisors in every zone per shift (days, afternoons only), supervisors report to managers, they report to operations managers, then things really get convoluted because we then have managing directors, senior mangers, directors, then vice president of ORD. There are so many layers of Fat created during and after bankruptcy and it was just a way for people to try an insulate themselves against a layoff. The problem is operations managers and higher in most cases are being paid over six figures a year. Willis Tower is no different just in the short time that I've been at Willis Tower the work that one or two people use do we now have six people but the reality is out of the six people there are only two people actually working.

What United needs to end is the ability people in positions of power have to create totally fictional positions specifically designed to insulate the person in power against taking any type of responsibility when things go wrong and insulations against layoffs.

You hit the nail right on the head with this one. We’ve had the same problem where I work. I can’t believe how the organization which was at one point mostly flat has been stratified to the point that there’s up to 8 levels of management between the employee and the CEO. And some of these positions they’ve created, you need a secret decoder ring to figure out what the person actually does all day.

kiowa

Sat May 30, 2020 7:42 pm

jayunited wrote:
kiowa wrote:
jayunited wrote:

The answer to your question is right there in the same sentence. Please don't pretend like you have no idea what I'm talking about and since this thread is not about Delta I'm going to leave it at that.

eh? but you brought Delta up in this thread.

UA444

Sat May 30, 2020 8:03 pm

kiowa wrote:
jayunited wrote:
kiowa wrote:

eh? but you brought Delta up in this thread.

UAL isn’t in a vacuum. What DL and AA do has enormous impact on UA.

jayunited

Sat May 30, 2020 11:34 pm

777Mech wrote:

Play this game with someone else. A group of US senators on May 21st requested Delta reverse course immediately and restore all frontline employees hours. Delta got away with reducing frontline employees hours, UA's Greg Hart tried the same thing and it blew up in his face. Stop pretending like this is some secret that has not been discusses at length in other threads on this site. The difference here is the IAM filed a lawsuit against UA while DL's frontline employees are on their own. That is not an endorsement for or against unions it is simply the facts UA's union fought back, while DL's was able to get away with cutting non management employees hours allowing DL to take full advantage of the legal loophole in the CAREs act.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN22X2IO

AA94

Sat May 30, 2020 11:49 pm

jayunited wrote:
Play this game with someone else. A group of US senators on May 21st requested Delta reverse course immediately and restore all frontline employees hours. Delta got away with reducing frontline employees hours, UA's Greg Hart tried the same thing and it blew up in his face. Stop pretending like this is some secret that has not been discusses at length in other threads on this site. The difference here is the IAM filed a lawsuit against UA while DL's frontline employees are on their own. That is not an endorsement for or against unions it is simply the facts UA's union fought back, while DL's was able to get away with cutting non management employees hours allowing DL to take full advantage of the legal loophole in the CAREs act.

:checkmark:

What the CARES Act does and what people *think* it does are two different things entirely. DL/AS instituted their cuts pre-CARES, so they've mostly flown under the radar. B6/UA took it on the chin for announcing cuts in the same breath as CARES funding. Not intended to be a shot, just the reality.

jayunited wrote:
Roitman has been with United for over 22 years he started in the trenches and while no one gets to this level without a few enemies, Roitman has more people who respect him than hate him especially frontline employees. I've had interactions with Roitman over the years and Greg Hart over the years, personally I think Roitman is a far better choice than Hart.

On the money again. Roitman is more a man of the people.

strfyr51

Sun May 31, 2020 12:07 am

tistpaa727 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

This is a more important group, office, division (depending on where you work) than one might initially think. Not only does it build a positive imagen the community for the company it also engenders goodwill within the employee base...a feeling of giving back and working for a company that is doing the right thing. DL does an amazing job at this and promotes it quite heavily. The office builds a perception that has long-term tangible impact not to mention all of the good it brings to communities around the world.[/quoteg
Good Damn SERVICE builds good community relations. 1 "Aw s45t" erases al bunch of "Attaboys" so you have to keep the "Aw S#$t's" to a minimum.
And you need a VP for that? YGBSM!

stlgph

Sun May 31, 2020 2:40 am

Community Relations and Goodwill is important to just about any major corporation these days as it's more cost effective to retain good customers than acquire new ones.

Clearly some people here aren't cut out for true leadership positions but by all means, bitch and flame away.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

777Mech

Sun May 31, 2020 3:20 pm

jayunited wrote:
777Mech wrote:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN22X2IO

So when did DL cut hours and when did the CARES act go into effect?

And those senators will be told to pound sand, they have no grounds.

jayunited

Sun May 31, 2020 6:46 pm

777Mech wrote:
So when did DL cut hours and when did the CARES act go into effect?

And those senators will be told to pound sand, they have no grounds.

I can't tell whether you are being serious or are joking so I'm just going to say do a simple google search it all there. Also there are threads on this site talking about this very issue.

The only reason I brought up Delta is because United's Greg Hart tried cut frontline employees hours as well. It didn't work out for him, he then followed up his failed attempt with a threat to all frontline employees on Flying Together. There is speculation the reason Hart is out is because of the actions he attempted to take following Delta's lead. I for one believe the rumors because Roitman is the polar opposite of Hart and many frontline employees like and respect Roitman. The fact that Roitman was chosen also leads me to believe this was not just Kirby's decision, but Munoz had a hand in Harts removal as well.

sailsail

Sun May 31, 2020 8:32 pm

Since Paul Wroble left American Airlines I bet Kirby brings him to UA and without the handcuffs he was forced to wear at American.

CALMSP

Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:19 am

sailsail wrote:
Since Paul Wroble left American Airlines I bet Kirby brings him to UA and without the handcuffs he was forced to wear at American.

what was his role?

malaysia

Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:14 am

CALMSP wrote:
sailsail wrote:

what was his role?

Vice President of Line Maintenance of AA?
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

sailsail

Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:27 pm

malaysia wrote:
CALMSP wrote:
sailsail wrote:

what was his role?

Vice President of Line Maintenance of AA?

Yes.
Smart guy and knows how to lead an M&E organization.

Exeiowa

Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:41 pm

stlgph wrote:
Community Relations and Goodwill is important to just about any major corporation these days as it's more cost effective to retain good customers than acquire new ones.

Clearly some people here aren't cut out for true leadership positions but by all means, bitch and flame away.

These positions exist because it is cheaper to employee a few people that go around saying you are doing the right thing than for a company to do the right thing.

Its interesting how lean principles are applied at the working part of organizations but not the management part. Its almost like they removed part of the functional part, realized its not working so hired more management to make it work, but none of those managers are actually going to do the task themselves so instead "manage" harder by proliferating a bureaucracy to track and control everything thereby creating more work for the people at the doing stuff part of the operation reducing their effectiveness. Rather than hire a few more workers, because they are too expensive while ignoring the army of people in the no added value portion of the equation.

FlyHossD

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:22 pm

If I'm reading it all correctly, the DEN Hub VP is being replaced by another person, so the position isn't being eliminated, just changed. Or am I misunderstanding the changes?
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

wn676

Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:10 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
If I'm reading it all correctly, the DEN Hub VP is being replaced by another person, so the position isn't being eliminated, just changed. Or am I misunderstanding the changes?

Correct, another current hub VP will move to DEN to assume that role, so it will be retained. That VP role will be filled by consolidating another position.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

CALMSP

Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:01 pm

FlyHossD wrote:

Correct. He is retiring. The current SFO VP to DEN, the current domestic line station VP move to SFO. That position being eliminated and consolidated under airport ops VP (non hub).

AEROFAN

Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:04 pm

It is fascinating how many people make remarks about others not doing any work or don't know what position x does.
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ~Harlan Ellison~

AZORMP

Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:20 pm

stlgph wrote:

I was about to say the same thing. I’ve been a UA customer once, I believe before this office was created, and I was appalled at the service. Flew IAH-DTW and couldn’t leave Houston for two hours because the ramp couldn’t get the W&B right. Left 40 bags at the gate from a flight that canceled before ours then had to go back a second time to defuel because we were over MTOW. On the way down, we were asked four times if we would leave so a party who missed their flight could get on instead. We were already on board so we said no, we aren’t going to volunteer. They just gave up. Never will fly UA again.

Additionally: the first thing they teach us at the college of business is that you need to be in good standing with the community. If you want to grow in a community, you have to have the support of the people, not just the government. An office specifically dedicated to community outreach is incredibly valuable to a corporation. Money isn’t everything, you know.

strfyr51

Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:57 pm

codc10 wrote:
kondoo wrote:

this shouldn't be about Personal Dislikes. What Job do they Do? And? Is the Jpb they do even Necessary TO the operation? If it ain't? then they need to hit the Door TOO! Everybody isn't going to like somebody! I wasn't fond of all my Bosses because a few of them were pure Ass Wipes. But if they were good at what they did?
I respected them For what they did.

strfyr51

Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:25 pm

N312RC wrote:
jayunited wrote:

You hit the nail right on the head with this one. We’ve had the same problem where I work. I can’t believe how the organization which was at one point mostly flat has been stratified to the point that there’s up to 8 levels of management between the employee and the CEO. And some of these positions they’ve created, you need a secret decoder ring to figure out what the person actually does all day.

You can guess pretty quickly, The guy above them's actual job where he get's the gold mine? And they get the shaft!

strfyr51

Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:26 pm

sailsail wrote:

what did he do at American?

HVN2HEL2LAX

Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:02 am

AEROFAN wrote:
It is fascinating how many people make remarks about others not doing any work or don't know what position x does.

No. That just shows how bloated an organization is with no work to do.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos