Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

masaccio
Topic Author

Whatever happened to Air France Vacances?

Sat May 30, 2020 8:52 pm

In the summer of 1980 I flew them JFK-ORY. The meals were carry-on and there was no movie. Basically a 747 full of rowdy backpackers. Just curious if anyone out there had that experience.

cedarjet

Re: Whatever happened to Air France Vacances?

Sun May 31, 2020 7:47 am

I know up until the 90s they had a few old 747-128 bangers in very high density config, like almost all Y, which did ORY EWR, and beaches (Guadeloupe, Martinique). Not sure it said Vacances on the side (did yours?). What’s a carry on meal btw? 500 brown paper bags in the gate containing a sarnie a banana and a drink?
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

VSMUT

Sun May 31, 2020 7:57 am

Wikipedia has absolutely nothing on them, not even if I search the French and German versions. Late 70s and early 80s makes it sound like it was an attempt to thwart Laker Airways' Skytrain service.

HBJZA

Sun May 31, 2020 8:04 am

I found this related to AF vacances
https://images.app.goo.gl/LHbERL5QgrmnAasB6

PaulYUL

Sun May 31, 2020 4:34 pm

I remember it and always wondered how they came with that (rather stupid) idea which was creating chaos at the boarding area (not to speak of the logistic of bring the meals there). What was the point of distributing the meal before boarding when they had a full complement of cabin crew (who were still doing a beverage service if I remember it well)? The only reason I could come with was to “punish” the passengers for choosing a cheap fare. In any case, it was (thankfully!) a short lived experiment.

VSMUT

Sun May 31, 2020 7:24 pm

PaulYUL wrote:
I remember it and always wondered how they came with that (rather stupid) idea which was creating chaos at the boarding area (not to speak of the logistic of bring the meals there). What was the point of distributing the meal before boarding when they had a full complement of cabin crew (who were still doing a beverage service if I remember it well)? The only reason I could come with was to “punish” the passengers for choosing a cheap fare. In any case, it was (thankfully!) a short lived experiment.

Punishing passengers is a common tactic for many low cost airlines. It strengthens the perception that they are cheap.

MIflyer12

Sun May 31, 2020 7:37 pm

PaulYUL wrote:

Have you been around long enough to remember Bistro Bags on AA?

The critical review of roll-out: https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct- ... story.html

A picture with the gate cart: https://viewfromthewing.com/american-ai ... r-4-hours/

It's different and 'fun' - as well as cheap. It's not intended as punishment -- that's UA's shtick (like no carry-on with Basic Economy fares). :)

Aesma

Sun May 31, 2020 7:46 pm

Small mention on AF website : https://corporate.airfrance.com/en/board-service

To recover a tourist clientele that was starting to move towards charter companies, Air France launched the "Holiday" class, a highly pared-down service with fares barely above those of charter companies. It inaugurated its first "Air France Vacances" flight on a Paris - Fort de France - Pointe à Pitre route in 1979, followed by a route to New York. These flights were operated by Boeing 747s.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

VSMUT

Sun May 31, 2020 8:07 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
PaulYUL wrote:

The critical review of roll-out: https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct- ... story.html

A picture with the gate cart: https://viewfromthewing.com/american-ai ... r-4-hours/

It's different and 'fun' - as well as cheap. It's not intended as punishment -- that's UA's shtick (like no carry-on with Basic Economy fares). :)

SAS still does that on domestic flights in Denmark. Early morning flights there are bags with a croissant and yoghurt available, rest of the day they have those sealed water cups in a rack next to the gate.

eta unknown

Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:05 am

I didn't know AF operated these flights to JFK. I knew about FDF, PTP and RUN and also heard the configuration was hell- as can be seen here:
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ZIwKw-Yb2dg/ ... 7+A310.jpg

Cointrin330

Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:50 am

Did the concept live on in the higher density 77W's that AF positioned at ORY for leisure and DOM/TOM flights?

Breathe

Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:01 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
PaulYUL wrote:

LOL at handing out AOL installation CDs, those things were a menace in the 90s! :lol:

masaccio
Topic Author

Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:27 pm

The carry-on meal was in what was essentially a clear plastic brief case containing a full, albeit cold, dinner. I recall it was actually good, sort of French picnic fare. You picked them up right where the two jetways split as you were boarding. As it was the old International Terminal at JFK (T-4) one of the jetways may have gone over the wing; I don't remember but I know I sat in the last cabin. The flight attendants came through with drinks at the beginning but after that the carts were left stocked for self-service while the crew hung out in the galleys. And yes, "Vacances" appeared on the side of the plane after "Air France." I remember being slightly disappointed we weren't going into CDG as I was fascinated by Aerogare 1 with its futuristic look. But I did love being bussed into the gate at ORY. I felt like we parked very far out on the field. Thanks for your great responses. Fun to revisit that trip.

Antarius

Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:52 pm

PaulYUL wrote:

The same genii likely came up with the equally successful idea of Joon
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

workhorse

Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:45 pm

eta unknown wrote:
I didn't know AF operated these flights to JFK. I knew about FDF, PTP and RUN and also heard the configuration was hell- as can be seen here:
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ZIwKw-Yb2dg/ ... 7+A310.jpg

It wasn't as hellish as you think. Look, for example, at the aft cabin: it has 17 rows. The "Classic" AF 744 (the one with Premium Economy on the upper deck) had 16 rows in that cabin, but it didn't have this block of two seats near doors L4 and R4. Now look at the next cabin: it has 11 rows, just as the classic 744. So the config you posted has the same 31-32 pitch as the classic one, the only difference is that it has no J.

mchei

Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:32 pm

VSMUT wrote:
SAS still does that on domestic flights in Denmark. Early morning flights there are bags with a croissant and yoghurt available, rest of the day they have those sealed water cups in a rack next to the gate.

Would that be Århus to CPH or Billund to CPH?

Those must be some very short flights :)
F70-F100-E145-E170-E190-319-320-321-735–736-737-738-752-763–742-744-333-343-ATR72-Metroliner-Saab2000-Lockheed Electra-C172-C182-C182RG-MD11

cedarjet

Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:10 pm

477 seats! That said it could be worse, JAL were over 500 on their all-economy 747-200SRs, same on Corsair’s 747-200Bs.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

TWA302

Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:44 pm

Found an print advertisement from 1980

workhorse

Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:54 pm

cedarjet wrote:
477 seats! That said it could be worse, JAL were over 500 on their all-economy 747-200SRs, same on Corsair’s 747-200Bs.

Corsair's 747-200s were SUDs, so that's where your difference comes from.

Aesma

Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:56 pm

cedarjet wrote:

I've only experienced the 747 on a Corsair charter flight, however it had the SUD so 743 or 744. Cramped yes but I'm not sure current economy seats in most aircraft (except the A380) are better.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

cedarjet

Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:53 pm

Aesma wrote:
cedarjet wrote:

I've only experienced the 747 on a Corsair charter flight, however it had the SUD so 743 or 744. Cramped yes but I'm not sure current economy seats in most aircraft (except the A380) are better.

Yes I have flown Corsair on two round trips to Guadaloupe, even in high density configuration, the 747 is spacious. It's a product of it's time. Because you can't squeeze 11 abreast, the width is always pretty nice, no matter how miserly the airline. And the high ceilings, vertical walls, big galleys, big doors etc. MD-11 was the same. When the MD-11 and 777-200 overlapped at KLM, and you flew them almost back to back, you really felt the difference, and it was those factors -- galley areas etc, just felt more open and not as "maxed out" (and hence, a bit less hectic and claustrophobic).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos