Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Chugach
Topic Author

DL1327 (FAI-SEA) diverts to YXY

Sun May 31, 2020 12:07 am

According to the Whitehorse Star, an electrical issue caused the diversion.

Based on where the plane was when it turned around, I’m pretty surprised they didn’t land at JNU instead of dealing with the headaches of an international diversion on a domestic flight. My guess is they wanted the straight-in approach and longer runway that YXY offers. JNU weather this morning was calm and 10 miles visibility so it wasn’t a weather issue.

https://www.facebook.com/14902414859158 ... 69288/?d=n

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL1 ... /PAFA/CYXY

Boeing744

Re: DL1327 (FAI-SEA) diverts to YXY

Sun May 31, 2020 1:18 am

Looks like it won't be fixed too fast as there is a 737-900 on its way to rescue everyone. Surprised they sent something so big when there were only about 20 passengers on the A220!

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL ... /KSEA/CYXY

alasizon

Sun May 31, 2020 4:42 am

Boeing744 wrote:
Surprised they sent something so big when there were only about 20 passengers on the A220!

Likely the only spare Mainline aircraft and crew available in SEA at the moment. As I recall, DL doesn't have a 320 base in SEA
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

Insertnamehere

Sun May 31, 2020 5:05 am

Chugach wrote:
According to the Whitehorse Star, an electrical issue caused the diversion.

Based on where the plane was when it turned around, I’m pretty surprised they didn’t land at JNU instead of dealing with the headaches of an international diversion on a domestic flight. My guess is they wanted the straight-in approach and longer runway that YXY offers. JNU weather this morning was calm and 10 miles visibility so it wasn’t a weather issue.

https://www.facebook.com/14902414859158 ... 69288/?d=n

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL1 ... /PAFA/CYXY

I would assume they would just keep the passengers onboard or in some sort of sterile area until the second aircraft is coming up.

yeginleduc

Sun May 31, 2020 5:25 am

Hopefully YXY has a sterile area they sectioned off. The 20 pax were there for quite awhile.

CanadianNorth

Sun May 31, 2020 5:38 am

I believe it was the first 220 to visit here, nice to have something new to geek out to.

I was also surprised they chose here and not Juneau to avoid the customs hassles. Whitehorse usually has non-stop flights from/to Frankfurt with 767s during the summer so facilities aren't an issue, but first I'd be surprised if the passengers all had passports, and secondly the Yukon's borders are currently COVID closed to anyone not either a resident or an essential service.

Word on the street is they de-planed but kept them isolated.

Maybe the wanted down fast? Runway might also be a reason, three runways here with the main one having over 9500 feet of useable runway with long straight in approaches at both ends (also ILS and a selection of RNAV approaches available), as well as services available upon arrival (fire trucks, customs, local airline here offers ground handling and fuel and is equipped for little biz jets right up to A330s). Weather here was not the greatest today, but this morning wasn't super bad either, the regular airlines here come and go in much worse.
HS-748, like a 747 but better!

32andBelow

Sun May 31, 2020 5:59 am

Why would you go to yxy and not jnu

formeraa

Sun May 31, 2020 6:16 am

JNU is way too difficult, particularly for pilots who may be unfamiliar with the approach and a plane with mechanical difficulties. Hence, they chose YXY.

32andBelow

Sun May 31, 2020 6:36 am

formeraa wrote:
JNU is way too difficult, particularly for pilots who may be unfamiliar with the approach and a plane with mechanical difficulties. Hence, they chose YXY.

Makes no sense. Unless the weather was bad they have a localizer approach. The cirus club flies it every year

GalaxyFlyer

Sun May 31, 2020 3:24 pm

JNU is a special category airport for 121; possibly crew not qualified. If you have an electrical emergency don’t need to complicate things with a mountainous airport requiring special quals.

as739x

Sun May 31, 2020 3:44 pm

32andBelow wrote:
formeraa wrote:

Makes no sense. Unless the weather was bad they have a localizer approach. The cirus club flies it every year

Your comparing a Cirrus to a comercial passenger jet? Part 61 GA flying is a whole different world from Part 121 rules and regulations. DL may not have OpsSpecs for JNU, performance penalty on a possible mechanical issue, etc. Numerous reasons to not choose JNU. We don't willy-nilly put the airplane down on any old runway unless you have uncontrollable flames. An American airplane diverting to Canada is literally no big deal and this is not the first time its happened, won't be the last.
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

Passedv1

Sun May 31, 2020 3:48 pm

"International" considerations are pretty minimal in this case since we are talking about Canada. You don't want to take a transport into any airport on the coast pf SE Alaska/BC unless you are familiar.

Cubsrule

Sun May 31, 2020 4:18 pm

Passedv1 wrote:
"International" considerations are pretty minimal in this case since we are talking about Canada. You don't want to take a transport into any airport on the coast pf SE Alaska/BC unless you are familiar.

Yup. Likely the passengers were mostly US people who were admissible to Canada barring some criminal history. And flying to or from Alaska without a passport in hand is lunacy.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Dominion301

Sun May 31, 2020 10:31 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Passedv1 wrote:

Yup. Likely the passengers were mostly US people who were admissible to Canada barring some criminal history. And flying to or from Alaska without a passport in hand is lunacy.

From my 1 visit to YXY, I seem to recall the gate holdroom area could be easily partitioned.

Ironically YXY has (in normal times) seasonal service to JNU with tiny outfit Alaska Seaplanes.

IPFreely

Sun May 31, 2020 11:10 pm

32andBelow wrote:
formeraa wrote:

It's not just the approach, depending on the weather not every airplane/crew is certified to depart. This repaired plane or a rescue plane could have been stuck in JNU for hours or even days. No airline is more aware of this than Delta.

MIflyer12

Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:34 am

Cubsrule wrote:
And flying to or from Alaska without a passport in hand is lunacy.

I can imagine that domestic flights to/from Alaska are just filled with lunatics. How many diversions a year to Canada? How often does Canada trouble Americans w/o passports who are diverted - no fault of their own? Canadian authorities are typically pretty pragmatic about this stuff:

An estimated 1,500 Americans illegally and unexpectedly washed up in Canada late Sunday after strong winds blew them across the St. Clair River near Sarnia, Ont.

They were participating in the annual Port Huron Float Down, during which people simply float down the river on rafts, inner tubes and other flotation devices from Port Huron, Mich.

High winds pushed them to a number of points along the Canadian shore. They had to be rescued by Sarnia police, the OPP, the Canadian Coast Guard, Canada Border Service Agency and employees from a nearby chemical company Lanxess Canada.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/ ... -1.3730792

Cubsrule

Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:06 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

I can imagine that domestic flights to/from Alaska are just filled with lunatics. How many diversions a year to Canada? How often does Canada trouble Americans w/o passports who are diverted - no fault of their own? Canadian authorities are typically pretty pragmatic about this stuff:

An estimated 1,500 Americans illegally and unexpectedly washed up in Canada late Sunday after strong winds blew them across the St. Clair River near Sarnia, Ont.

They were participating in the annual Port Huron Float Down, during which people simply float down the river on rafts, inner tubes and other flotation devices from Port Huron, Mich.

High winds pushed them to a number of points along the Canadian shore. They had to be rescued by Sarnia police, the OPP, the Canadian Coast Guard, Canada Border Service Agency and employees from a nearby chemical company Lanxess Canada.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/ ... -1.3730792

Oh, the Canadians are generous, as are most governments dealing with unexpected but innocent “incursions.” But passports grease the skids.

usxguy

Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:29 am

32andBelow wrote:
formeraa wrote:

Juneau requires special training, especially since DL has seasonal service- the captain has to have gone thru the training and performed all the approaches in the sim a few times.

Lotsa gusty winds on those 3000-5000' mountains surrounding PAJN
xx

ytib

Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:47 am

usxguy wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
formeraa wrote:

Juneau requires special training, especially since DL has seasonal service- the captain has to have gone thru the training and performed all the approaches in the sim a few times.

Lotsa gusty winds on those 3000-5000' mountains surrounding PAJN

Thus why Juneau has JAWS (Juneau Airport Wind System)
https://www.weather.gov/ajk/JAWS

The channel can get a little bumpy at times, especially around Sheep Creek.
318, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 388, 707, 717, 722, 732, 733, 734, 73Q, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 739, 752, 753, 742, 74L, 744, 762, 763, 772, 77L, 77W, 789, 142, CN1, CR2, CR7, DC8, DH2, DH8, D8Q, D10, D95, EM2, ER3, ER4, E70, 100, J31, M11, M83, M88, M90, SF3

usxguy

Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:27 am

derr should have said.. BECAUSE DL has seasonal service, they have Ops Specs for Juneau. But its super specific in the type of plane & crew.

The C series should have all the bells & whistles to land here, but the crew did not.

Sitka may have been more suitable. Even Yakutat (which HAS an ILS).
xx

IPFreely

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:03 am

Cubsrule wrote:

What an absurd statement. I know you are trying to act smart but it isn't working. Do you carry a passport to fly from BOS to ORD, LGA to MSP, or other similar flights?

32andBelow

Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:56 am

usxguy wrote:
derr should have said.. BECAUSE DL has seasonal service, they have Ops Specs for Juneau. But its super specific in the type of plane & crew.

The C series should have all the bells & whistles to land here, but the crew did not.

Sitka may have been more suitable. Even Yakutat (which HAS an ILS).

Yakutat would be dumb. There’s a good Lda and a good RNAV into Sitka. KTN also has an ILS. I don’t know where this mechanical happened exactly.

trueblew

Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:30 am

Cubsrule wrote:
Passedv1 wrote:

Pure lunacy!!! Same with those pax flying from the NE US to the PNW and cross over Canada... lunatics!

Cubsrule

Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:19 am

IPFreely wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

What an absurd statement. I know you are trying to act smart but it isn't working. Do you carry a passport to fly from BOS to ORD, LGA to MSP, or other similar flights?

Absolutely. There’s really no downside in doing so.

OzarkD9S

Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:13 pm

Cubsrule wrote:

There’s really no downside in doing so.

Nope, none at all. I always use my passport when flying, domestically or otherwise,
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer's Night Dream

Polot

Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:29 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Nope, none at all. I always use my passport when flying, domestically or otherwise,

So do I. But the notion that flying to Alaska without a passport is lunacy, is...lunacy.

Procedures are in place for this kind of thing. Canada doesn’t expect Americans on a US domestic flight to have a passport on hand. Having a passport on hand is not going to get you special treatment...you are going to be handled and kept with all the other passengers.

Thenoflyzone

Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:37 pm

32andBelow wrote:
Why would you go to yxy and not jnu

http://twinandturbine.com/article/the-p ... th-juneau/
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

Cubsrule

Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:53 pm

Polot wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

So do I. But the notion that flying to Alaska without a passport is lunacy, is...lunacy.

Procedures are in place for this kind of thing. Canada doesn’t expect Americans on a US domestic flight to have a passport on hand. Having a passport on hand is not going to get you special treatment...you are going to be handled and kept with all the other passengers.

Wait, hang on. Canada won't admit US passport holders who are admissible if a diversion turns into a long stay in Canada? I have a hard time believing that.

ghYHZ

Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:53 pm

Just about everything between the Maritimes: Halifax, Moncton, Fredericton etc and Central Canada: Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto etc will be in US airspace for about 200 miles across Maine.....and all I ever use is my Driver's License as ID...... but I could end-up at BGR in an emergency (it has happened).

On a flight between Halifax and Toronto last year we even ventured further into the States and from the New Brunswick-Maine border we were in US airspace all the way to Buffalo due to thunderstorms. They gave Rochester as our alternate to YYZ …..but I still boarded with just my Driver’s License as ID. They weren’t looking for a Passport ‘just in case’ we ended up in the US!

So I imagine with the long standing relationship between the US and Canada agreements are already in place for just such diversions as they could happen to citizens of either country with the number of daily over flights that occur between the two countries. Domestic US passengers on a flight from the east coast to the upper mid-west (BOS-MSP) or in this case Alaska could very easily find themselves in Canada so hopefully common sense would prevail!

And going back to the ‘90s…..the Air Canada/Air Nova early morning flight on a Dash-8 from Halifax to Boston stopped in YQI on the way. Yarmouth at the very southern tip of Nova Scotia is known for its morning fog….so when these flights couldn’t land there an intending YHZ-YQI domestic passenger would just be carried over to BOS and dropped off in YQI on the return flight later that morning after the fog burned off. This was pre-9-11 and that domestic passenger to YQI didn’t even need a photo ID to board the aircraft let alone a passport.

Polot

Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:13 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Polot wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:

Wait, hang on. Canada won't admit US passport holders who are admissible if a diversion turns into a long stay in Canada? I have a hard time believing that.

If it is going to be a long stay arrangements will be made for all passengers. It’s not like passport holders will be allowed into Canada and everyone else left to fend for themselves on board the plane or in a small waiting room. It’s not just governments that want the passengers all together, the airline would prefer that all the passengers are together so that information can quickly and easily be relayed to them, and they can keep track of where everyone is.

Cubsrule

Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:31 pm

Polot wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
Polot wrote:

If it is going to be a long stay arrangements will be made for all passengers. It’s not like passport holders will be allowed into Canada and everyone else left to fend for themselves on board the plane or in a small waiting room. It’s not just governments that want the passengers all together, the airline would prefer that all the passengers are together so that information can quickly and easily be relayed to them, and they can keep track of where everyone is.

Of course. But if the situation turns into everyone being admitted, it's much easier to get admitted with a valid travel document in hand. Nobody goes and gets a Russian visa to fly from the US to China or Japan, but where it's so easy to avoid a potential hassle there's no downside.

usxguy

Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:32 pm

I was on this flight that was bound for Whitehorse BUT diverted to Anchorage:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/ai ... -1.5401211

and US/CA customs have a handshake agreement in instances like this. They have a way to put you in the system like at a land crossing, with just your Yukon/BC license. Myself and a few others had our passports (living in Juneau I always keep it handy when flying). Customs was almost leaving for home when they got the call an A319 was inbound.

Clearing for me and a few others was easy, but it took a while for the others who didn't have their Canadian passports. I heard some didnt make it out of customs until 4am.
Last edited by usxguy on Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xx

32andBelow

Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:33 pm

Lmao a passport to fly to Alaska. You guys know it’s a state right. A real US state.

YOWVIEWER

Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:28 pm

As a Canadian flying across the country from time to time, I have learned from experience its better to pack the passport, but leave the marijuana at home. It works both ways......

LAXffDUB

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:18 pm

Take a tip from a long time traveller; never, ever leave on any trip without your passport. I've found myself being rerouted though Canada and other times having to cross the land border unexpectedly. It make life a lot easier when you have it with you. And don't get me started on airport staff, some wearing government badges, who can't recognize a valid US driver license...seriously!

chrisair

Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:36 pm

LAXffDUB wrote:
Take a tip from a long time traveller; never, ever leave on any trip without your passport.

I always have my passport and NEXUS card when I'm flying. It lives in my bag next to my wallet. You never know if you'll get stuck someplace and a route through Canada is your only way home.

Plus the NEXUS card is better at TSA than my non-travel ID license. I'm not paying $25 for one of those.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos