Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JQ321

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2020

Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:03 am

anstar wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
Do they need to order NEOs? Could they not add some J seating to the JQ 321 and move them to QF- I don’t believe JQ have received any NEOs yet. In saying this not sure how long the lead time is for new seats? Maybe a project over 12-18months, but this won’t be a quick recovery. If they do receive NEOs could be handy for when Asia starts to slowly reopen.

The initial batch of NEO's are not LR so would not make it to Asia unless from PER/DRW.

The initial batch is LR's the follow up batch is XLRS. Jetstar has no regular A321NEOS on order. They have 28LRS and 36XLRS

Whatsaptudo

Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:11 am

JQ321 wrote:
anstar wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
Do they need to order NEOs? Could they not add some J seating to the JQ 321 and move them to QF- I don’t believe JQ have received any NEOs yet. In saying this not sure how long the lead time is for new seats? Maybe a project over 12-18months, but this won’t be a quick recovery. If they do receive NEOs could be handy for when Asia starts to slowly reopen.

The initial batch of NEO's are not LR so would not make it to Asia unless from PER/DRW.

The initial batch is LR's the follow up batch is XLRS. Jetstar has no regular A321NEOS on order. They have 28LRS and 36XLRS

Minor correction. The A321XLR’s are not confirmed to be for JQ.

JQ321

Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:39 am

Whatsaptudo wrote:
JQ321 wrote:
anstar wrote:

They are. Maybe just not all of them.

Morrofinch

Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:55 am

My thoughts are with the over 5000 QANTAS staff set to be axed on Friday.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 555st.html

Whatsaptudo

Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:57 am

JQ321 wrote:
Whatsaptudo wrote:
JQ321 wrote:

They are. Maybe just not all of them.

Fair enough. I think you said that all 36 were for JQ. That's not what AJ said.

Flymetothemoono

Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:06 pm

qf2220 wrote:
timtam wrote:
Its not just about international travel. Domestic travel is going to be tough. Just opening the interstate borders does not mean travel will return back to near normal levels. Hard to imagine too many corporates allowing non essential travel. It seems possible that the corporate travel market could be depressed for quite some time.

This situation has demonstrated that a lot of corporate travel is not really required. Most business can be done without travelling. Yes, face to face meetings traditionally have more impact. However there is now bit of a stigma attached to face to face meetings with people who you dont know well - I imagine even more so if they have travelled from interstate. Plus everyone in business has become comfortable with using video calls.

The VA bidders are very brave and must have invested in a very good crystal ball.

Corporate travel was not just about the 1 hour meeting that is now being done online. It was also about the side conversation and cultivation of relationships with other, secondary people you might have seen say on a day in Melbourne. It was also a perk, with some travellers (me included in a former life) making weekend trips out of a Friday/Monday meeting in Melbourne.

I dont think we will return to the full normal but at the same time our lives will never be fully online either.

Think things will return to normal much faster than some here suggesting.

Too much talk of cases & not of deaths. Healthy people don't die. That's truely healthy.

The unhealthy won't be flying.

a36001

Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:32 pm

Morrofinch wrote:
My thoughts are with the over 5000 QANTAS staff set to be axed on Friday.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 555st.html

The townhall tomorrow should be very interesting. A lot of nervous people right now! We were really really hoping this could be avoided :cry:

EK413

Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:03 pm

Flymetothemoono wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
timtam wrote:
Its not just about international travel. Domestic travel is going to be tough. Just opening the interstate borders does not mean travel will return back to near normal levels. Hard to imagine too many corporates allowing non essential travel. It seems possible that the corporate travel market could be depressed for quite some time.

This situation has demonstrated that a lot of corporate travel is not really required. Most business can be done without travelling. Yes, face to face meetings traditionally have more impact. However there is now bit of a stigma attached to face to face meetings with people who you dont know well - I imagine even more so if they have travelled from interstate. Plus everyone in business has become comfortable with using video calls.

The VA bidders are very brave and must have invested in a very good crystal ball.

Corporate travel was not just about the 1 hour meeting that is now being done online. It was also about the side conversation and cultivation of relationships with other, secondary people you might have seen say on a day in Melbourne. It was also a perk, with some travellers (me included in a former life) making weekend trips out of a Friday/Monday meeting in Melbourne.

I dont think we will return to the full normal but at the same time our lives will never be fully online either.

Too much talk of cases & not of deaths. Healthy people don't die. That's truely healthy.

I consider myself healthy, let me to you my wife & I have no plans to jump on a plane in any great hurry...

With QF’s announcement I’d expect things to get worse before they get better...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

anstar

Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:07 pm

JQ321 wrote:
anstar wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

Regardless of whatever we want to call the first batch... they don't have the legs for Asia.

eamondzhang

Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:53 pm

Qantas has just announced to ASX that 6000 jobs are cut, an immediate retirement of all 747-400ERs, and deferrals of A321neo and 787-9 delivery.

The airline is also expecting a grounded fleet of almost 100 aircrafts by 12 months (I assume mostly are widebodies) and a significant write-downs of A380's fair values.

Source: https://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20200625/ ... p3h22r.pdf

Michael

qf2220

Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:41 pm

EK413 wrote:
Flymetothemoono wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

I consider myself healthy, let me to you my wife & I have no plans to jump on a plane in any great hurry...

The last 3 days have pushed my expectation of date of return to 'normality' out by quite a margin...... I was thinking domestic economy open by September but am now thinking that it may not be until December.

eamondzhang

Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:49 pm

anstar wrote:
JQ321 wrote:
anstar wrote:

Regardless of whatever we want to call the first batch... they don't have the legs for Asia.

Well Indonesia is part of Asia and these things are supposed to have legs to DPS, which is part of Indonesia :stirthepot:

Michael

tullamarine

Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:09 am

qf2220 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
Flymetothemoono wrote:

The last 3 days have pushed my expectation of date of return to 'normality' out by quite a margin...... I was thinking domestic economy open by September but am now thinking that it may not be until December.

Yes, realistically domestic is going to come back slowly. QF is estimating 70% in FY21 which still feels optimistic though I assume they are expecting that VA may reduce their route network a bit. International is a black-hole and anything is a guess. At the moment timeframes keep slipping and developments in US etc means things look like deteriorating further. I have a European river cruise booked in September 2021 and, at this stage, I'm not expecting this to happen.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

CraigAnderson

Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:27 am

Joyce says all A380s to be grounded “for at least three years”

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... retirement

qf2220

Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:30 am

Im going out on a limb and am going to call it now. A380 won't return to service with QF at all.....

anstar

Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:37 am

Sad news for the industry.

allrite

Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:07 am

EK413 wrote:

From what I have read there is increasing evidence that even milder cases of covid-19 can cause long term damage to the circulatory system which may not always be immediately obvious and lead to increased risk of strokes and other issues. Many sufferers are also reporting long term chronic fatigue rendering them unable to work, which is not good from an economic perspective. Then add an ideological obsession with austerity leading to job cuts, less disposable income and household belt tightening, all meaning less travel (unless you think it'll work *this* time...).

How can anyone book with confidence?

On the positive side I've heard second hand from our experts that there is confidence in getting a working vaccine.

I foresee a number of countries, possibly including Australia, following Japan's lead and opening up to limited number of business travellers, for which they will presumably require a visa or strong evidence of a business relationship. This makes sense from a contact tracing perspective. I guess using the premium heavy QF789s makes sense in this context.

Interesting that Taiwan is not being talked about more as a destination. Or is it a desire not to offend Mainland China?

What about the Jetstar 788s? While Qantas will not want to spend any money on refurbishment or rebranding right now, are there any contexts where they might make sense for use instead of, say, the A330s they replaced in Jetstar?
I like artificial banana essence!

anstar

Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:16 am

allrite wrote:
EK413 wrote:

What about the Jetstar 788s? While Qantas will not want to spend any money on refurbishment or rebranding right now, are there any contexts where they might make sense for use instead of, say, the A330s they replaced in Jetstar?

Not sure how much of a refit they would need if they were going to operate on say domestic or TT services to replace 330's. Perhaps just a recovering of the seats and new J class seats installed.

tullamarine

Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:18 am

allrite wrote:
EK413 wrote:

From what I have read there is increasing evidence that even milder cases of covid-19 can cause long term damage to the circulatory system which may not always be immediately obvious and lead to increased risk of strokes and other issues. Many sufferers are also reporting long term chronic fatigue rendering them unable to work, which is not good from an economic perspective. Then add an ideological obsession with austerity leading to job cuts, less disposable income and household belt tightening, all meaning less travel (unless you think it'll work *this* time...).

How can anyone book with confidence?

On the positive side I've heard second hand from our experts that there is confidence in getting a working vaccine.

I foresee a number of countries, possibly including Australia, following Japan's lead and opening up to limited number of business travellers, for which they will presumably require a visa or strong evidence of a business relationship. This makes sense from a contact tracing perspective. I guess using the premium heavy QF789s makes sense in this context.

Interesting that Taiwan is not being talked about more as a destination. Or is it a desire not to offend Mainland China?

I think the 788s will probably remain parked for the foreseeable future. It is possible that they may eventually transfer to mainline domestic though, in a perfect world, I assume QF's ultimate preference would be a miracle buyer to take them off their hands. Of course, that is unlikely. In the meantime, I expect domestic will remain largely a 737 operation with the A330s continuing to be used for regional int'l operations as they hopefully reopen. The 789s will probably start coming back as longer haul routes reopen which probably means not before Easter 2021.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

VH-BZF

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:25 am

This environment will make it difficult for the relaunched VA2.0 or whatever it is to be called in the future. QF having to make the tough decisions now to protect the business into the future. Global airlines suffering across the board. I've just heard from a staff member at QF, that QF were looking to either make a small profit or break even, however given the provision of write downs on the value of the A380 fleet, some fuel hedging losses and provision for redundancies, they will make a full year loss. They have also gone to market this morning to raise over a $1b to add to it's coffers.

On a positive note, plenty of pent up demand from Aussies wanting to fly, with the QF & JQ sales last week going off!

BZF
Ansett Australia - (was) One of the worlds great airlines!

ArtV

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:38 am

VH-BZF wrote:
This environment will make it difficult for the relaunched VA2.0 or whatever it is to be called in the future. QF having to make the tough decisions now to protect the business into the future. Global airlines suffering across the board. I've just heard from a staff member at QF, that QF were looking to either make a small profit or break even, however given the provision of write downs on the value of the A380 fleet, some fuel hedging losses and provision for redundancies, they will make a full year loss. They have also gone to market this morning to raise over a $1b to add to it's coffers.

On a positive note, plenty of pent up demand from Aussies wanting to fly, with the QF & JQ sales last week going off!

BZF

Most of the issues at Qantas relate to their international fleet/staff - and the feed that international traditionally brings. Conversely, VA has always been much more domestic focussed, and the new opportunity for a (relatively) clean slate with new owners focussing almost solely on domestic without an international "noose" (can I use that symbolism at the moment?), probably puts VA2.0 in a better position in some ways.

tullamarine

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:51 am

ArtV wrote:
VH-BZF wrote:

BZF

Most of the issues at Qantas relate to their international fleet/staff - and the feed that international traditionally brings. Conversely, VA has always been much more domestic focussed, and the new opportunity for a (relatively) clean slate with new owners focussing almost solely on domestic without an international "noose" (can I use that symbolism at the moment?), probably puts VA2.0 in a better position in some ways.

You are correct, they both have major but different issues. QF retains a strong albeit underutilised domestic operation but is hampered by a crippled international business that consumes massive amounts of capital even when doing nothing. VA2 will probably return with a massively cleaned up balance sheet but has a potentially damaged brand. Both rely heavily on a recovery in the domestic sector that is currently based more on hope than anything else. If domestic recovers slower than planned, both businesses are in for a lot more pain.

qf002

Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:47 am

anstar wrote:
Not sure how much of a refit they would need if they were going to operate on say domestic or TT services to replace 330's. Perhaps just a recovering of the seats and new J class seats installed.

They already have plenty of brand new (or virtually brand new) J suites which were intended for the A380s. Won't be a perfect fit for the 787 cabin but it could be a cheap and quick way to convert those aircraft to full QF standards.

melpax

Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:13 am

What a difference a week or so makes.... Early last week there was hope that unrestricted domestic ops might restart in July or so, with NZ possibly in September. Now just a pipe dream with what's happening here in Melbourne. As others have said, with the other State Premiers basically saying that people from Melbourne are unwelcome in their states, can't see domestic travel opening back up anytime soon.

And as others have said, with the 380's being parked up for 3 years, sadly looks like they're done as well....
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

allrite

Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:31 am

According to Executive Traveller Alan Joyce remains confident that Project Sunrise will proceed and that Airbus has agreed to delay the A350s. In my opinion, point to point travel may make sense in the nearer term as it enables you to fly directly to destinations bypassing potential hotspots and transit hubs where infected travellers may mix. You could have a really interesting destination map of countries with low virus spread! Not sure that the service will be available soon enough for that though.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/post-pandemic-alan-joyce-sees-qantas-project-sunrise-as-a-ray-of-hope

tullamarine

Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:32 am

allrite wrote:
According to Executive Traveller Alan Joyce remains confident that Project Sunrise will proceed and that Airbus has agreed to delay the A350s. In my opinion, point to point travel may make sense in the nearer term as it enables you to fly directly to destinations bypassing potential hotspots and transit hubs where infected travellers may mix. You could have a really interesting destination map of countries with low virus spread! Not sure that the service will be available soon enough for that though.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/post-pandemic-alan-joyce-sees-qantas-project-sunrise-as-a-ray-of-hope

The long range A35Js that QF want are years away. If we are still as hesitant about international travel by the time these are available, it is safe to say the entire global aviation industry will have collapsed so the whole concept would be probably moot.

moa999

Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:21 am

I think though it increases the propensity of people to go direct where they can.

The most promising vaccines only seem to promise to give 12-month immunity to Covid-19 or any future strains (though it seemingly mutates more slowly than the normal flu).

So even if we get a vaccine we might live in a world where we continue to get flare-ups from time to time

allrite

Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:41 am

tullamarine wrote:
The long range A35Js that QF want are years away. If we are still as hesitant about international travel by the time these are available, it is safe to say the entire global aviation industry will have collapsed so the whole concept would be probably moot.

moa999 wrote:
I think though it increases the propensity of people to go direct where they can.

The most promising vaccines only seem to promise to give 12-month immunity to Covid-19 or any future strains (though it seemingly mutates more slowly than the normal flu).

So even if we get a vaccine we might live in a world where we continue to get flare-ups from time to time

It won't be the last pandemic either, though if you look at the responses of some countries like Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam that have previously dealt with SARS and other viruses, the future responses will probably be much more effective globally. Long range point-to-point also gives you some flexibility in dealing with regional conflicts or natural disasters. Much depends on how quickly they could be redeployed however.

What I could see as useful for Australian (and other) travellers in the near future are packaged trips where most of the travel is centrally organised through the airline/travel agent allowing for simple rebooking if needed. As was pointed out elsewhere, rebookable sales fares are all very good until the future flights are full priced and you need to handle the accommodation and activities as well. It's going to be interesting what the travel industry come up with. Good time to be innovative.

NTLDaz

Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:19 am

Sad news with JQ closing the Newcastle maintenance and crew bases. The first ever Jetstar flight took off from Newcastle. Given where it came.from you could just about call Jetstar a Newcastle airline.

SYDSpotter

Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:48 am

Flymetothemoono wrote:
[

Well QF certainly has different view as their announcement today shows. And they are in a pretty good position to make such an assessment given they have plenty of contacts with the Government and will have been engaged in ongoing discussions with the Government in the recent months and weeks. When a business makes a multi-billion dollar decision like they have today, you can bet they've done their homework and aren't making it based off the "word on the street".

Lets hope its not as dire as QF believes it will be, but reading today's announcement was sad because of those who lost their jobs and but also sad because the "recovery" may not be coming as fast as we are all hoping.
319_320_321_332_333_359_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789

HM7

Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:11 pm

Can anyone confirm if VH-OEJ’s last flight into LA is next Tuesday the 30th?
CRJ200, CRJ700, CRJ900, Q400, E175, E195, MD88, MD90, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A388, B712, B734, B738, B739, B752, B762, B763ER, B789, B744, B744ER

VHZNE

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:33 pm

HM7 wrote:
Can anyone confirm if VH-OEJ’s last flight into LA is next Tuesday the 30th?

It’s July 22nd at this stage.

Qantas16

Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:45 am

For the BNE Spotters, SQ will send their 787-10 to BNE tomorrow arriving as SQ245 at 1705. Aircraft will depart the following day as SQ246 at 0905. First visit for SQ 787-10 to BNE.

CraigAnderson

Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:10 am

Now confirmed, Bain Capital will take over Virgin Australia: https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... -australia

qf2220

Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:55 am

I know it has been mentioned, but i cannot find it atm, but which one was the Qld Government linked with?

SCFlyer

Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:57 am

qf2220 wrote:
I know it has been mentioned, but i cannot find it atm, but which one was the Qld Government linked with?

Qld Government/QIC IIRC had reportedly drew an agreement with both bidders to keep the HQ in Brisbane for a certain sum.

qf789
Topic Author

Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:55 am

A Qantas pilot has put on Twitter that while details are sketchy Qantas is possibly drawing up some plans for some sort of final farewell tour for the 747 with something to be firmed up next week

https://twitter.com/Keg767/status/12763 ... 94880?s=20
Forum Moderator

VCVSpotter

Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:06 am

qf789 wrote:
A Qantas pilot has put on Twitter that while details are sketchy Qantas is possibly drawing up some plans for some sort of final farewell tour for the 747 with something to be firmed up next week

That could explain the delay on SYD-LAX from June 30 to July 22...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Just a normal teenager juggling AP classes and airplanes. No biggie • Love the 747 & 777-9 • Farewell KLM 747-400M

tullamarine

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:12 am

It is interesting to see Bain nominating a commitment to regional services. I wonder if this is part of the Queensland Government deal given most of VA's regional RPK services are in that state. FIFO has always been profitable so I always thought it would survive or be on-sold by the winning bidder.

QAN shares have lost over 7% of their value today. Some of this will be because of the dilution caused by the additional shares whilst some will be because some had priced the stock on the basis that VA2 wouldn't happen and QAN would achieve a virtual domestic monopoly.
Last edited by tullamarine on Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

EK413

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:32 am

VCVSpotter wrote:
qf789 wrote:

That could explain the delay on SYD-LAX from June 30 to July 22...

& flight number QF7474...

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

timtam

Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:09 am

QF saying its outlook is that the international borders will not open for at least the next 12 months. Australian PM responding to this outlook that he hopes the border to NZ may open earlier than that.

The situation can change quickly. But the current outlook is pointing to the borders remaining closed to the Americas and Europe for another year.

zkncj

Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:29 am

timtam wrote:
QF saying its outlook is that the international borders will not open for at least the next 12 months. Australian PM responding to this outlook that he hopes the border to NZ may open earlier than that.

The situation can change quickly. But the current outlook is pointing to the borders remaining closed to the Americas and Europe for another year.

With the current issues going on in Melbourne, the changes of the Tasman happening now by September are weak.

Flymetothemoono

Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:31 am

allrite wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

moa999 wrote:

It won't be the last pandemic either, though if you look at the responses of yours 7 faysome countries like Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam that have previously dealt with SARS and other viruses, the future responses will probably be much more effective globally. Long range point-to-point also gives you some flexibility in dealing with regional conflicts or natural disasters. Much depends on how quickly they could be redeployed however.

What I could see as useful for Australian (and other) travellers in the near future are packaged trips where most of the travel is centrally organised through the airline/travel agent allowing for simple rebooking if needed. As was pointed out elsewhere, rebookable sales fares are all very good until the future flights are full priced and you need to handle the accommodation and activities as well. It's going to be interesting what the travel industry come up with. Good time to be innovative.

Yes 7 day packages make it easy for hotels.

This way hotels in tourist regions don't have many unsellable odd nights so 7 might actually work out cheaper than 5 or 6.

Chipmunk1973

Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:53 am

qf789 wrote:

That’d be nice if they did. Earlier in the year before the world went mad, I booked a trip to Japan for August and was excited it’d be my last chance on a QF 747. And my enthusiasm was over the top because they had a very good sale on business fares so I specifically selected a seat on the upper deck.

Sadly my last QF experience on a 747 was a 300 series that managed to do a BNE-SYD run at a very quick pace; departed late, arrived early. :cloudnine:
Cheers,
C1973

B707, B717, B727, B734, B737, B738, B743, B77W, A300, A320, A332, A333, A339, A388, BAe146, Cessna 206.

Chipmunk1973

Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:58 am

tullamarine wrote:

QAN shares have lost over 7% of their value today. Some of this will be because of the dilution caused by the additional shares whilst some will be because some had priced the stock on the basis that VA2 wouldn't happen and QAN would achieve a virtual domestic monopoly.

Don’t remind me :headache: Just last week they really did seem like the Goose that laid a Golden Egg when they were almost hitting $5. Considering I bought them at $2.34.

Weighing up wether to add more with their recent proposal for capital raising. :confused:
Cheers,
C1973

B707, B717, B727, B734, B737, B738, B743, B77W, A300, A320, A332, A333, A339, A388, BAe146, Cessna 206.

Flymetothemoono

Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:22 am

If V2 employ 80% of old virgin staff at 80% of previous pay that's a 36% saving on wages bill.

% employed could even be lower.

anstar

Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:12 am

zkncj wrote:
timtam wrote:

With the current issues going on in Melbourne, the changes of the Tasman happening now by September are weak.

Tasman bubble opening by September was optimistic given the NZ elections. I did have little chuckle when the chamber of commerce said it would be open by July 1... perhaps they meant July 1 2021.

Flymetothemoono wrote:
If V2 employ 80% of old virgin staff at 80% of previous pay that's a 36% saving on wages bill.

I doubt they will employ 80%. Given Long haul will be gone ie 777/330's thats a lot of jobs to go.

SCFlyer

Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:33 am

anstar wrote:
zkncj wrote:
timtam wrote:

Tasman bubble opening by September was optimistic given the NZ elections. I did have little chuckle when the chamber of commerce said it would be open by July 1... perhaps they meant July 1 2021.

Flymetothemoono wrote:

I doubt they will employ 80%. Given Long haul will be gone ie 777/330's thats a lot of jobs to go.

The A330s are undoubtedly gone (back to lessors), however given 4 of the 5 77Ws are considered owned and with no market for widebodies as of the moment, there's no choice but to mothball the 77W fleet for the foreseeable future.

Whether if the market picks up in a year or two time to either sell the 777s (or as reported alternatively trade them in for 787s in partnership with other international airlines) is yet to be seen.
Last edited by SCFlyer on Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chipmunk1973

Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:34 am

anstar wrote:

I thought both Bain and Cyrus indicated that sometime in the future/ down the road/ In the long haul, they’d be looking to get 787s. I’d presume it’d be a 787 versus the A350 given the amount of deposits they have for Born Again MAXs. That’d have to be in a 18-48 month timeframe. Would it not be prudent to maintain a small amount of long haul fliers to eventually use as fleet captains and training captains?
Cheers,
C1973

cx777fan

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:57 am

qf2048 wrote:
Heard on ABC NSW radio this morning on my way to work Rex a threatening to pull out of ARM over airport security screening charges.
Does explain why I saw a QFlink Q400 on FR24 ARM - SYD.

Sounds like the council are standing their ground though. Rex are also in a stoush with Grafton council over fees.

Sounds about right from Rex. Still trying to get Dubbo City council to waive the fees their too.
QFlink were meant to be commencing a brand new route to my City but has been put on hold due to COV 19. Rex not happy about that either.

The REX dummy spits are seriously getting very very old. Local ABC news up here on the North Coast suggested that Fly Pelican are sniffing around Grafton if REX really do decide to bail over a local councillor (rightly) telling them to pull their finger out.

So Pelican will have BNK-NTL, BNK-CBR, GFN-SYD and presumably LSY-SYD too seeing as I doubt LSY is viable for REX without the GFN stop. I've flown with FP on the BNK-NTL route a couple of times. They're a decent operation. I love that there's no cockpit door on their Jetstream 32s so you can watch all the action :-) Though 2:20 flight time from BNK-CBR would get pretty long and uncomfortable rattling about at 16,000 feet on a 20+ year old turboprop.