Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Velocity7

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2020

Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:44 am

Chipmunk1973 wrote:
Goodbye wrote:
The new 13/31 runway is operational at Sunshine Coast Airport today - first flight to land was an Alliance F100 from BNE.

About time the Sunny Coast airport had a decent length runway. I think the new runway is about 2450m. Does anyone know if they have land available to extend that if ever required/planned?

BNE-MCY would have been a bloody quick flight.

It's already handing 737/320 size aircraft and has been many years which I thought was the right size for the market. Are there some aspirational desires to attract international visitors on larger aircraft? Was there some load limitations due to existing runway length?
I love the Sunshine Coast but would think a lot of marketing work would need to happen to get any meaningful international numbers (NZ excluded) on direct services?

Chipmunk1973

Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:55 am

Velocity7 wrote:

It's already handing 737/320 size aircraft and has been many years which I thought was the right size for the market. Are there some aspirational desires to attract international visitors on larger aircraft? Was there some load limitations due to existing runway length?
I love the Sunshine Coast but would think a lot of marketing work would need to happen to get any meaningful international numbers (NZ excluded) on direct services?

I had read somewhere that the shortness of the existing runway meant that some flights were load restricted. I guess my question was future looking at maybe 10-15-20 years down the track when you’d be expecting A330/787 sized aircraft on occasions.
Cheers,
C1973

SCFlyer

Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:18 am

Some NZ flights are (were?) load restricted on the old MCY runway, depending on weather conditions. MCY's old runway was only long enough for short haul flights on 737/A320 aircraft at full payload.

Even longer domestic flights e.g to PER/DRW were likely to face payload restrictions on the old runway year round, making them unviable.

Deano969

Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:21 am

Velocity7 wrote:
Chipmunk1973 wrote:
Goodbye wrote:
The new 13/31 runway is operational at Sunshine Coast Airport today - first flight to land was an Alliance F100 from BNE.

About time the Sunny Coast airport had a decent length runway. I think the new runway is about 2450m. Does anyone know if they have land available to extend that if ever required/planned?

No there is no room for extension as at the western end is the Sunshine Motorway and east butts up against the existing runway, then 100m or so to houses

The new owners of the airport actually have plans to close the existing N/S runway and flog the land of to build industrial units to the north and turn the southern end of the runway into a taxiway
Short sighted cash grab IMO
2 intersecting runways work a treat particularly when strong southerly or northerly winds are happening particularly for smaller birds

ANZ seasonal Auckland to Maroochy is load restricted
SCA has ambitions of direct flights from Asia and Perth
If you look 200km south a much larger tourist area has only a few direct flights from Asia and Perth and I thing they are handling around 4x the flights from Sydney and Melbourne, so the likelihood of a lot of traffic from Asia or Perth would seem to be highly ambitious

ClassicLover

Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:01 am

NTLDaz wrote:
We're not going to risk what we've achieved. Even Australians returning have to go into 14 days mandatory quarantine. This is where nearly all our cases are coming from. They are locked in a hotel room for those 14 days, literally locked in.

Yes, and this needs to change. As an Australian citizen living abroad, I have flights booked for November to see my parents. Since I plan to be in Sydney for 15 days, the mandatory 14 day quarantine in a hotel means that there's no point to taking the trip. It's not like people have enough annual leave to book a month off so they can spend half in quarantine.

If it was "Australian citizens must self-quarantine in the location they are staying for 14 days", I'd be very happy with that. Even if they made me wear a damned ankle bracelet to make sure I stayed in the house, I'd be fine with that.

A friend of mine and his girlfriend did the hotel thing. Not only did they have separate rooms, but their quarantine was extended to 17 days. Sounds like hell to me.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

Goodbye

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:13 pm

Deano969 wrote:
Velocity7 wrote:
Chipmunk1973 wrote:

No there is no room for extension as at the western end is the Sunshine Motorway and east butts up against the existing runway, then 100m or so to houses

The new owners of the airport actually have plans to close the existing N/S runway and flog the land of to build industrial units to the north and turn the southern end of the runway into a taxiway
Short sighted cash grab IMO
2 intersecting runways work a treat particularly when strong southerly or northerly winds are happening particularly for smaller birds

ANZ seasonal Auckland to Maroochy is load restricted
If you look 200km south a much larger tourist area has only a few direct flights from Asia and Perth and I thing they are handling around 4x the flights from Sydney and Melbourne, so the likelihood of a lot of traffic from Asia or Perth would seem to be highly ambitious

I think it's laughable to expect MCY to handle flights to Asia anytime soon. All the locals are bleating on about flights north (CNS and TSV) and why aren't there any (if there was actual demand, and not a handful of people on Facebook, then I'm sure there would already be flights north), and then also wishing for flights to Asia soon.
✈︎

qf002

Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:31 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
Yes, and this needs to change. As an Australian citizen living abroad, I have flights booked for November to see my parents. Since I plan to be in Sydney for 15 days, the mandatory 14 day quarantine in a hotel means that there's no point to taking the trip.

How do you intend to leave the country as an Australian citizen? All outbound travel is currently banned without a formal exemption.

Enforced quarantine is the single most effective measure against spreading the virus.

Qantas16

Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:45 pm

qf002 wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:
Yes, and this needs to change. As an Australian citizen living abroad, I have flights booked for November to see my parents. Since I plan to be in Sydney for 15 days, the mandatory 14 day quarantine in a hotel means that there's no point to taking the trip.

How do you intend to leave the country as an Australian citizen? All outbound travel is currently banned without a formal exemption.

Enforced quarantine is the single most effective measure against spreading the virus.

If you are an Australian citizen but ordinarily reside outside of Australia, you do not need an exemption to leave the country.

CraigAnderson

Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:32 am

Seems that Cyrus held media interviews over the weekend, mounting a bit of a media blitz jut like Bain did before the bidding closed.

Summary: Cyrus wants the new Virgin Australia to be smaller, mid-market and more like Virgin America; would keep 'Virgin' brand but drop Tiger; focus on a smaller all-737 network; not chase the top end of the corporate market, so maybe goodbye to The Club.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... et-airline

SCFlyer

Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:37 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
Seems that Cyrus held media interviews over the weekend, mounting a bit of a media blitz jut like Bain did before the bidding closed.

Summary: Cyrus wants the new Virgin Australia to be smaller, mid-market and more like Virgin America; would keep 'Virgin' brand but drop Tiger; focus on a smaller all-737 network; not chase the top end of the corporate market, so maybe goodbye to The Club.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... et-airline

Looks like they were also intending on resuming NZ and Fiji on a limited basis (with the refitted "Split scimitar" winglet 738 fleet).

Can't see the Bali 'Bogan Bus' resuming however.

NTLDaz

Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:29 am

qf002 wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:

I'm sure being stuck in hotel quarantine sucks but is a small price to pay to keep Covid under control.

Flymetothemoono

Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:52 am

Sydscott wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
zkncj wrote:

Hopefully they don’t make the same mistakes with fare pricing as SYD when it comes to the rail link.

Otherwise we could end up paying $40 one way between the City and Western Sydney Airport.

As I understand it, both the Western Sydney Airport and the rail link will remain in government ownership (airport, federal and rail, state) whereas the AirportLink to SYD is privately owned. AirportLink did go broke in the 2000's but it is still privately held but the government now covers the station fee for entry to Mascot and Green Square stations whilst travellers still pay the station fee for Domestic and International.

People from the City won't use Western Sydney Airport via Public Transport because having to get to and from it via connecting Metro services and suburban train services will simply take too long. Realistically you're looking at Cargo Services plus people in Western Sydney being the users of the Airport unless the Government decides to put Express Trains through.
years ago was reading about southwest in USA. They said when they opened a new port, many people would drive up to 2 hours to save 5 bucks. Now $5 might be an exaggeration but many don't value their time, fuel & car running costs etc.

Think western Sydney will do very well with low cost international carriers like air Asia, scoot , Cebu Pacific & Jetstar internationsl as well as domestic & anyone flying to Bali.
Last edited by Flymetothemoono on Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flymetothemoono

Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:54 am

NTLDaz wrote:
qf002 wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:

I'm sure being stuck in hotel quarantine sucks but is a small price to pay to keep Covid under control.

Doubt if any quarantine required from around mid September when it appears most international routes ex Australia will reopen.

There are travel wholesalers right now selling cheap fares to USA departing late December or early January from around $900 return. Very low for school holidays.

tullamarine

Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:12 am

Flymetothemoono wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:
qf002 wrote:

Doubt if any quarantine required from around mid September when it appears most international routes ex Australia will reopen.

There are travel wholesalers right now selling cheap fares to USA departing late December or early January from around $900 return. Very low for school holidays.

Unlikely most international routes will reopen in September. At best, I'd expect NZ, Fiji and maybe Japan and Singapore around September. Government will see how this goes before attempting broadening allowed countries. I wouldn't expect Europe before January and USA, Easter 2021 at earliest.

Airlines and agents may be advertising $900 US fares for Christmas but they are speculative at best and you'd be foolish to buy them unless they came with a full refund guarantee.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

Flymetothemoono

Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:30 am

tullamarine wrote:
Flymetothemoono wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:

Unlikely most international routes will reopen in September. At best, I'd expect NZ, Fiji and maybe Japan and Singapore around September. Government will see how this goes before attempting broadening allowed countries. I wouldn't expect Europe before January and USA, Easter 2021 at earliest.

Airlines and agents may be advertising $900 US fares for Christmas but they are speculative at best and you'd be foolish to buy them unless they came with a full refund guarantee.
why ?

plenty of people think September will have to be go for all flights. We like NZ need all the tourists will can get. It would be insane to be able to fly to somewhere only via NZ but not direct.

ArtV

Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:51 am

Flymetothemoono wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
Flymetothemoono wrote:

why ?

plenty of people think September will have to be go for all flights. We like NZ need all the tourists will can get. It would be insane to be able to fly to somewhere only via NZ but not direct.

With the bulk of cases now imported (and contained in quarantine during the 14 days), the puzzle is how to allow people to travel without requiring (expensive/limited) quarantine and not letting new cases into the country. The only current source markets that will meet that requirement will be from countries with no local transmission. Hence why NZ is on top of this list, as should be Vietnam and Taiwan (if there is demand)....as most other markets (excluding pacific islands) present risks of local transmission importing covid and requiring ongoing quarantine arrangements. Japan, Korea and Singapore still have significant local transmission, and further time would be needed for them to stop this.

From the perspective of other countries, why would they permit flights from Australia when there is still cases of sustained local transmission (limited, and mostly in Victoria), but still - from the perspective from other authorities, Australia still presents a risk. Vietnam airlines had planned to resume Australian flights from 1 July, but had to cancel them until September at the earliest as they would not be able to get permission from the Vietnam end for Australian inbound flights.

tullamarine

Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:57 am

Flymetothemoono wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
Flymetothemoono wrote:

why ?

It is highly unlikely you will be able to fly outside the bubble via NZ either. Borders will reopen on a bilateral basis. For example, if Singapore is open, you will not require quarantine on return if you only visited Singapore but if you also visited another country, say India, whilst away, you would still be required to quarantine and probably at your own cost by then too.

We do need tourists but if other countries are still struggling to suppress Covid such as US is now then the government will not risk a reopening of the border. Even now, you can see that over half the cases are returning travellers. That tells you how serious the situation is overseas and how fortunate we are to have such low transmission rates.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

wstakl

Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:59 am

Surely Japan will be next to get the green light after New Zealand. They already want to let business travelers from both NZ and OZ into the country (no quarantine but still with restrictions) If all goes well I'm sure you'll be flying there by years end. NZ are resuming a once a week flight to NRT on 25JUN.

I'm itching to get on a plane and head up to Japan....

anstar

Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:16 am

Flymetothemoono wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
Flymetothemoono wrote:

why ?

I doubt the borders will be fully open in September. With how its spreading in other countries and still prevalent there is to high an economic and health risk. NZ and Pacific perhaps but anything else this year is very optimistic.

CraigAnderson

Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:54 am

Qantas to pull out of its Jetstar Pacific Vietnam JV, in which it holds 30% against Vietnam Airlines' 70%. The 'Jetstar Pacific' brand will be dropped for a return to the original 'Pacific Airlines' name.

https://www.reuters.com/article/qantas- ... SL4N2DS1CB

Deano969

Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:40 am

Financially
Tourism generates a lot, but this pales into insignificance compared to the cost that Coronavirus has had to Australia
Overseas students, whilst on the face of things may seem to be good for the economy, in effect is just a cash drain from our country as most students that come here enroll in cheap courses and sleep 4 to a bedroom, work above that permitted by their visa subclass an funnel money back overseas to their families where $200au is equivalent to a good weeks wage in their country

Our largest inbound tourist markets are
NZ no issues here as borders will be open soon
China, if you believe the CV numbers, there should be no reason travel can't start now
US out of the question
UK perhaps mid 2021

Then you have Japan, Vietnam, Taiwan etc where we could open up quite soon
Africa, South America, Europe and the US will all be a long way away

However
Just China and NZ alone could do a lot to get our tourism market up and running again....

FL420FT

Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:09 am

qf763 wrote:
Hello all,

Long time reader and fan of the Australian threads, first time poster.

Per @FL420FT post last month regarding the 744ERs departures to Mojave, does anyone have any more info on the tentative dates (and times) for OEE/16JUN and OEJ/30JUN? I noticed OEI didn’t depart SYD until 03JUN.

Additionally, does anyone know if the good spotting areas at SYD (Shep’s Mound etc) are accessible to the general public at the moment?

Thanks.
QF763

VH-OEE is still scheduled to depart tomorrow, Tuesday 16th June.

It still has and ETD of 0930.

All subject to change.

Yes, Shep's mound is still open. Not sure if the small beach at Botany Bay. The service road off Princess Highway (where the Salvo's warehouse is) would work if it's a northerly departure.

Two weeks ago when OEI departed she took off south then flew at about 2000 ft up the central coast district before turning right.

SYDSpotter

Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:05 am

Flymetothemoono wrote:

Plenty of people have opinions, doesn't mean they are right.

For now all we have is the Government guidance and press releases which indicate the only country we could possibly fly to/from by September is NZ.
319_320_321_332_333_359_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789

Captdasbomb

Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:41 am

Whatsaptudo wrote:
Captdasbomb wrote:
Whatsaptudo wrote:

Of course I agree in the long run. But if the 787’s are put into long term preservation (pilots will run out of qualification, not just regency) and a requirement arises for QF to operate a rescue (or some other such operation) flight places further afield, the A330 could easily do it. Not direct of course. So there is every chance the rumour is true.
So by the looks of it QF won’t fly to LAX or LHR, and pretty much every long haul destination, for potentially 12 months. As absurd as that may sound.

Pilots only need to do 3 take offs & landings every 90 days. This can be done in a simulator which Qantas has.

It's not quite that simple, at least not in Qantas. QF has many CASA exemptions to the rules due to them having a Cyclic Training Program. For example, we only need 1 TO/LDG every 45 days, we have no night recency, ILS recency, instrument time, Glide slope inoperative recency etc........... Because we do it all every 6 or 12 months in the SIM.
So, because the pilots will not be current in the Cyclic Training Program, depending on how long they are out of the system, their Qualification can lapse. If it does, they will need to do all the cyclical SIMS they miss, instrument rating renewals and in some cases will need to fly some real sectors on the line with Check Airmen to re qualify. Its not as simple as you make out.

So all that can be done in a SIM with the planes in Long Term Storage

Ishrion

Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:57 am

Qantas expected to retire the final two 747s this month: https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... retirement

qf763

Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:36 am

FL420FT wrote:
qf763 wrote:
Hello all,

Long time reader and fan of the Australian threads, first time poster.

Per @FL420FT post last month regarding the 744ERs departures to Mojave, does anyone have any more info on the tentative dates (and times) for OEE/16JUN and OEJ/30JUN? I noticed OEI didn’t depart SYD until 03JUN.

Additionally, does anyone know if the good spotting areas at SYD (Shep’s Mound etc) are accessible to the general public at the moment?

Thanks.
QF763

VH-OEE is still scheduled to depart tomorrow, Tuesday 16th June.

It still has and ETD of 0930.

All subject to change.

Yes, Shep's mound is still open. Not sure if the small beach at Botany Bay. The service road off Princess Highway (where the Salvo's warehouse is) would work if it's a northerly departure.

Two weeks ago when OEI departed she took off south then flew at about 2000 ft up the central coast district before turning right.

Thanks for the update FL420FT.

Gemuser

Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:29 pm

EK413 wrote:
wstakl wrote:
...and I thought the New Zealand Aviation thread was full of pessimists, but you lot are next level.

Your comments a non-constructive and not contributing to the discussion. Reminds me of National Lampoon's Vacation with the kids yelling “are we there yet” x 100 times...

The flu has a vaccine whilst covid19 has been declared a pandemic. If you follow the news you would’ve read or heard China are dealing with a 2nd wave whilst USA are dealing with a spike of covid19 cases...

I wouldn’t expect borders to the USA reopened until mid next year at the earliest... That’s if they get their act together...

IMHO it'll be more like mid/late 2022 unless they really, really get their act together. As mentioned above the experts are waiting to see the situation in the next northern winter. The way they are going there *could* be a massive second wave.

Gemuser

TN486T

Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:09 pm

ABC reporting restrictions being reapplied due to uptick in new cases (ABC News Report). Is this the start of the predicted second wave? If so it would be totally inadvisable to open our international border to anyone other than NZ. I would expect NZ to open from AU only. No arrivals nor departures other than AU. Wait for this second wave to diminish. Yep, the AU NZ bubble. But not before all domestic borders are open in AU.

Gael23

Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:38 pm

If I can I would like to visit family in WA in April 2021. I’m in Ireland where the situation is improving.
I would need to know if it’s possible by the end of November this year to organize the time off work though so it’s not likely

eta unknown

Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:49 pm

Gael23 wrote:
If I can I would like to visit family in WA in April 2021. I’m in Ireland where the situation is improving.
I would need to know if it’s possible by the end of November this year to organize the time off work though so it’s not likely

If you're an Australian citizen or permanent resident you can enter. Otherwise no- you can't visit at the moment.

TN486T

Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:06 pm

Re 228. Meant to say uptick of new cases in China.

ClassicLover

Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:33 pm

Gael23 wrote:

I'm in Ireland as well. I'd go ahead and book it, just taking care to book with an airline that allows your flight to be refunded/converted to a voucher. At least that way your money is protected to some extent. I'm sure your work will understand if you've booked the leave and then have to cancel it.

My flights are with Qatar Airways so they're able to be changed. If I can't go in November, then I'll push it out to end of February and if I can't go then I'll push it out again. It doesn't particularly concern me, but it is annoying not knowing what I will be doing.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

VCVSpotter

Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:11 am

Qantas 747-400ER VH-OEE on the first leg of her trip to the desert: SYD-LAX as QF6001. Currently taxiing out to the runway at SYD. As mentioned before, she will depart LAX for MHV as QF6001 on Wednesday June 17, 2020 at 9:30AM local time. Note, VH-OEE was the first 747-400ER, wearing test registration N747ER before starting her life at Qantas.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/vh-oee
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Just a normal teenager juggling AP classes and airplanes. No biggie • Love the 747 & 777-9 • Farewell Qantas A380s/744s

tullamarine

Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:28 am

VCVSpotter wrote:
Qantas 747-400ER VH-OEE on the first leg of her trip to the desert: SYD-LAX as QF6001. Currently taxiing out to the runway at SYD. As mentioned before, she will depart LAX for MHV as QF6001 on Wednesday June 17, 2020 at 9:30AM local time. Note, VH-OEE was the first 747-400ER, wearing test registration N747ER before starting her life at Qantas.

Given the current market for pilots, I assume this flight is very stressful for the flight crew also who are basically flying into redundancy. Hopefully the market begins to recover soon and they can be retrained onto 787s or Airbus or at least find employment with another airline.

downdata

Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:40 am

Deano969 wrote:
Financially
Tourism generates a lot, but this pales into insignificance compared to the cost that Coronavirus has had to Australia
Overseas students, whilst on the face of things may seem to be good for the economy, in effect is just a cash drain from our country as most students that come here enroll in cheap courses and sleep 4 to a bedroom, work above that permitted by their visa subclass an funnel money back overseas to their families where $200au is equivalent to a good weeks wage in their country

Eh. You need to backup those up with some evidence. International students, especially those for higher education, pay tuition fees of A$40k a year, not including food, utilities, boarding ...etc. All up for a 4 year bachelor degree course, it would typically costs an international student around A$300k. Working for A$200/w ($10k a year?) is not even going to cover more than 10% of these costs, let along "funneling" money back to wherever.

Even back in 2015, before the recent explosive growth in students, especially from Asia, it was already the third largest export for AU and support 130,000 full time roles in the country. You might want to read up on this government/deloitte paper https://internationaleducation.gov.au/r ... onalEd.pdf

eamondzhang

Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:44 am

downdata wrote:
Deano969 wrote:
Financially

Eh. You need to backup those up with some evidence. International students, especially those for higher education, pay tuition fees of A$40k a year, not including food, utilities, boarding ...etc. All up for a 4 year bachelor degree course, it would typically costs an international student around A$300k. Working for A$200/w ($10k a year?) is not even going to cover more than 10% of these costs, let along "funneling" money back to wherever.

Even back in 2015, before the recent explosive growth in students, especially from Asia, it was already the third largest export for AU and support 130,000 full time roles in the country. You might want to read up on this government/deloitte paper https://internationaleducation.gov.au/r ... onalEd.pdf

Indeed. While there are students doing exactly like Deano969 said (I know a certain background of international students tend to do this more than others but I won't say here as I don't want to be critised as racism), the vast majority of them are pumping billions into the economy. I was an international student myself down here so speaking this from first-hand observations.

Nothing's cheap here and even those who works above their legally allowed maximums usually spent most of these money to cover their living costs especially since being a person on visa means a lot of these people are underpaid at their workplace, some quite siginifcantly. Imagine you were paid $5 per hour when legal minimum was $16/$17? (That was back in the day of course)

Michael

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:45 am

Just a reminder to keep your post relevant to the topic and about aviation, for non aviation issued such as overseas students and cost of living take it to the non-aviation forum
Forum Moderator

Captdasbomb

Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:09 am

tullamarine wrote:
VCVSpotter wrote:

Given the current market for pilots, I assume this flight is very stressful for the flight crew also who are basically flying into redundancy. Hopefully the market begins to recover soon and they can be retrained onto 787s or Airbus or at least find employment with another airline.

Would be interesting to know what they do with the first batches of graduates from the Pilot Academy.

ArtV

Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:54 am

Captdasbomb wrote:

Would be interesting to know what they do with the first batches of graduates from the Pilot Academy.

Centrelink?

Flyingsottsman

Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:37 am

Deano969 wrote:
Financially

Our largest inbound tourist markets are
NZ no issues here as borders will be open soon
China, if you believe the CV numbers, there should be no reason travel can't start now
US out of the question
UK perhaps mid 2021

Then you have Japan, Vietnam, Taiwan etc where we could open up quite soon
Africa, South America, Europe and the US will all be a long way away

However
Just China and NZ alone could do a lot to get our tourism market up and running again....

No China at the moment, reports today are saying a 2nd break out of COVID has hit Beijing. So unless they can contain this and not lie about it China is out for the time being.

tullamarine

Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:38 am

ArtV wrote:
Captdasbomb wrote:

Centrelink?

It goes to show how the world has changed. Two years ago, both Boeing and Airbus estimated that there would be a global requirement for an extra 500,000 pilots over the next 15 years. Now Covid has meant the global fleet has shrunk and won't be coming back to 2019 levels any time soon. Many airlines who previously were offering huge incentives to attract pilots are now laying them off. As you say, this is even more dramatic for trainee pilots who suddenly find their path into a commercial airline role blocked and they are left with a huge training debt and no job.

eta unknown

Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:55 am

SCFlyer wrote:
Some NZ flights are (were?) load restricted on the old MCY runway, depending on weather conditions. MCY's old runway was only long enough for short haul flights on 737/A320 aircraft at full payload.

Even longer domestic flights e.g to PER/DRW were likely to face payload restrictions on the old runway year round, making them unviable.

NZ A320 AKL-MCY flights operated at full capacity westbound, but the last row was blocked from sale for the return journey- take off minimum height requirement issues.

SYDSpotter

Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:37 am

Flyingsottsman wrote:

No China at the moment, reports today are saying a 2nd break out of COVID has hit Beijing. So unless they can contain this and not lie about it China is out for the time being.

Given the Chinese Government issued an 'advisory' recommending their citizens not visit Australia for tourism purposes (and also for their students to reconsider studying here), I don't think the Aus Govt will be too rushed in reopening borders with China given the current tensions, so the Govt can afford to play it very safe with respect to travel to/from China for now.

SYDSpotter

Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:41 am

Deano969 wrote:

And COVID-19 has all but put any ambitions (which was wishful thinking to start with) to bed for the medium term given established markets aren't forecast to return to previous 'normal' levels of traffic until 2022-2024.

smi0006

Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:02 am

eta unknown wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:

NZ A320 AKL-MCY flights operated at full capacity westbound, but the last row was blocked from sale for the return journey- take off minimum height requirement issues.

I think at certain times it could be more than this, they also bulkloaded the aircraft. Prior to covid there was talks of 321s to MCY once the runway opened as the route doesn’t need freq- now I doubt we’ll see NZ return to MCY for several years.

cx777fan

Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:10 am

As a Northern NSW resident it's good to see a fairly rapid ramp up of flights in and out of BNK. JQ is up to 2 a day to SYD and one to MEL. Contrast to a complete JQ suspension around late March. Incidentally was on the last JQ SYD-BNK flight pre-temporary suspension. I was one of 18 pax that morning. We were the only pax in T2 at SYD. It was eerie.

QF is re-launching SYD-BNK as planned pre-COVID. What's interesting is that the schedule has gone from what was previously slated to be a Q300 to a Q400. Sadly for those of us up here who travel to Sydney for work, they're flying a daily return lunch time service. Earlier in the year when they announced they were launching the route it was going to be early am BNK-SYD and back up in the evening - basically mirroring what was the REX schedule before they had a tantrum and bailed.

Speaking of REX tantrums they are also threatening to pull out of Grafton (currently served in a triangle with Lismore) because a local councillor told REX to "pull their finger out" over a minor dispute about an airport fee rebate https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-11/ ... y/12343142

They're really not making any friends in this corner of the state with the way they constantly throw their toys out of the cot. It looks also like Lismore is collateral damage in this little spat. The REX ground team at LSY are absolute legends. I'm sorry that they are probably now having to look for new work.

Captdasbomb

Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:57 am

ArtV wrote:
Captdasbomb wrote:

Centrelink?

That would suck considering most would have exhausted the HECS limit & can’t study any other program without fronting the full fees

VCVSpotter

Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:33 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Qantas expected to retire the final two 747s this month: https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... retirement

I highly HIGHLY doubt that there's a change of plans to now send the remaining two to VCV instead of MHV. I could understand how they could get the two mixed up, but now TPG is reporting that they'll go to VCV (although citing ET as the source, see link below). Is this just a reporting slip-up that has been propagated across various outlets, or is there now a true change of plan?

https://thepointsguy.com/news/qantas-fi ... tirements/

Note: The ET article incorrectly stated that the picture of the 3 Qantas 747s (taken by me, yay!) was at Victorville, not Mojave. Could that be the origin for all of this confusion?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Just a normal teenager juggling AP classes and airplanes. No biggie • Love the 747 & 777-9 • Farewell Qantas A380s/744s

CraigAnderson

Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:04 pm

I think this was just "a reporting slip-up", and understandable as you say. The article now appears to have been corrected and I am hearing whispers that Qantas will make an announcement this week which will include formally announcing that yes, the age of the B747s is over. A shame we never had a chance to give the old girl a proper goodbye. When you look at everything which other airlines did around the retirement of their B747s, this would have been what QF had in mind before the coronavirus scuppered everything.

SCFlyer

Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:56 pm

smi0006 wrote:
eta unknown wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:

I think at certain times it could be more than this, they also bulkloaded the aircraft. Prior to covid there was talks of 321s to MCY once the runway opened as the route doesn’t need freq- now I doubt we’ll see NZ return to MCY for several years.

If I recall correctly the local council (SCRC) partially funds the seasonal flights under contract until 2023.

A recent paywall newspaper article had the council interested in starting talks of operating Summer Seasonal flights for the 2020-2021 season depending on the 'Travel Bubble' outcomes and ongoing COVID events.

Saying that, I can't see NZ up-gauging the MCY flights regardless of the outcome, at most using the existing A320neos removes the load restrictions on the eastbound flights.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos