Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

qf789
Topic Author

New Zealand Aviation Thread - June 2020

Sun May 31, 2020 12:07 pm

Welcome to New Zealand Aviation Thread - June 2020. Please continue to add your comments below

Link to last thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1445543&start=200
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - June 2020

Sun May 31, 2020 12:11 pm

Air New Zealand 789 ZK-NZJ seen departing WLG for AKL after arriving earlier from LAX

https://twitter.com/SpeedBird_NCL/statu ... 10369?s=20
Forum Moderator

NZ516

Sun May 31, 2020 6:31 pm

Now that we are in June, hopefully soon we can go into level one without any social distancing requirements for flights. Especially that there is only one active COVID person remaining in the entire country. The risk of a new outbreak is virtually zero now. Let's hope that the last person is in isolation and the rest of us can go about our lives.

zkncj

Sun May 31, 2020 8:08 pm

NZ516 wrote:
Now that we are in June, hopefully soon we can go into level one without any social distancing requirements for flights. Especially that there is only one active COVID person remaining in the entire country. The risk of a new outbreak is virtually zero now. Let's hope that the last person is in isolation and the rest of us can go about our lives.

Hopefully an level 1 would encourage JQ to restart domestic services soon, currently they have flight loaded from July onwards.

They currently have two a320’s stored at gate 20/21 in AKL, just waiting for the day them resuming domestic flights.

I think JQ restarting is going to be important in the re-birth of the domestic market, currently NZ’s got the market to it self and can charge what they like.

There doesn’t seem to be an shortage of any domestic passengers either, there seems to be decent loads (albeit the empty middle seats).

Whoopeecock

Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:17 am

NZ516 wrote:

Just remember, pretty much all the cases were originally brought in from overseas; and now we have charter flights bringing in film workers from the worlds epicentre of Covid 19, the USA. It won’t surprise me if we see more cars in the next month. Some of the cases of overseas travellers bringing it back were diagnosed over 2 weeks of them getting back.
I know we need to open the borders soon, but I think we’ll get hit again unfortunately with travellers from the States.

Motorhussy

Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:06 am

Whoopeecock wrote:
NZ516 wrote:

Just remember, pretty much all the cases were originally brought in from overseas; and now we have charter flights bringing in film workers from the worlds epicentre of Covid 19, the USA. It won’t surprise me if we see more cars in the next month. Some of the cases of overseas travellers bringing it back were diagnosed over 2 weeks of them getting back.
I know we need to open the borders soon, but I think we’ll get hit again unfortunately with travellers from the States.

Agreed. I think we should adopt the strategy of Pacific Island countries like Samoa and Cook Islands in the immediate term and insist on two weeks of quarantined isolation at each end.

Film productions are desperate to get to work here, there’s nowhere they’ll be safer.
come visit the south pacific

ZaphodHarkonnen

Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:53 pm

Good news for Singapore fans.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/121 ... d-services

No news on a restart of the Wellington leg. :'(

backfiah

Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:13 pm

ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:

Can't imagine they would restart SIN-MEL-WLG before there's a trans-tasman bubble.

Unclekoru

Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:50 pm

Whoopeecock wrote:
NZ516 wrote:

It looks like stringent measures are being applied to the recent Hollywood arrivals, including 24hr serveillance at the place of quarantine. As long as the quarantine process and any screening is thorough, the number of people allowed in is minimal, and those coming in meet their fair share of the costs, I'm happy to see these exceptions allowed. I agree though, you'd want to be very careful as they're a high risk group.

Source: https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/1 ... quarantine

backfiah wrote:
ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:

Can't imagine they would restart SIN-MEL-WLG before there's a trans-tasman bubble.

Yes, SQ's WLG-MEL-SIN would seem unlikely to recommence prior to any trans-Tasman bubble being introduced. WLG might see a few SQ aircraft if the proposed charter flights go ahead for Vic University. You'd think SQ (and NZ) would be prime contenders.

Source: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/121687 ... wellington
It sounds like english, but I can't understand a word you're saying

ZK-NBT

Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:25 am

backfiah wrote:
ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:

Serious question, will the SQ WLG service come back? Maybe a Trans Tasman bubble will give it a chance given SQ can't carry pax to too many places atm? I'm almost surprised AKL/CHC aren't being run as tags in the short term from Australia or tagged together at least.

GW54

Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:11 pm

There are very strong rumours coming out from Air NZ staff that even with a Trans Tasman bubble in place Air NZ will not be resuming TT in or out of Wgtn. Apparently you will have to transit thru AKL or CHC. Not sure how much truth you can attach to these rumours or what Qantas will do. Historically for the Tasman WLG has generally been better served by Qantas. Will we see SQ back when a bubble is in place? Personally I don't think so unless there is something in their agreement with the Wgtn Council around subsidies .

a7ala

Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:51 pm

GW54 wrote:
There are very strong rumours coming out from Air NZ staff that even with a Trans Tasman bubble in place Air NZ will not be resuming TT in or out of Wgtn. Apparently you will have to transit thru AKL or CHC. Not sure how much truth you can attach to these rumours or what Qantas will do. Historically for the Tasman WLG has generally been better served by Qantas. Will we see SQ back when a bubble is in place? Personally I don't think so unless there is something in their agreement with the Wgtn Council around subsidies .

While the new bubble is tested that might be the case. AKL-SYD would be the test route with all domestic traffic funnelled through there. But within a few weeks if all well you would see the other Tasman routes open pretty quickly.

QF will being serving WLG with a non-stop service to their SYD and MEL hubs. NZ will get no WLG traffic by forcing them to fly via AKL. If QF does it then NZ will have to as well.

zkncj

Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:08 am

GW54 wrote:

When I flew out of WLG on the weekend, the entrance to the International Departures was boarded up.

Take it WLG has taken the chance to take the International terminal out of primary use for the next while and do some
Upgrades?

NZ516

Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:30 pm

NZ516 wrote:

Looking like June 10 to go to Level one cabinet will decide next Monday.

wstakl

Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:23 pm

Maybe already mentioned, but I was randomly checking expertflyer and notice QF has blocked he middle seat on their trans tasman 737's from August. Sure I read Alan Joyce saying they weren't going to do it as it wasn't necessary.

NZ516

Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:26 am

Don't think it will be needed during August . Should be able to sell all seats on all flights.. Perhaps expertflyer is not been updated lately.

NZ516

Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:29 am

Plans by Australian and New Zealand business groups to create a Wellington-Canberra travel bubble have been described as ''curious'' by the government-sanctioned group that's been working for weeks on the project.

Chambers of commerce on both sides of the Tasman said today they will take a detailed proposal to link the capitals to both governments this week.

But the Australia New Zealand Leadership Forum, which is backed by the two governments, says the new proposal has come out of the blue.

more:
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/new ... d=12337090

Hopefully things can progress better in the next few weeks to get Tasman flying back up and running.

NZ516

Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:37 am

Jetstar planning return of NZ domestic services following months of hibernation

A restart of Jetstar's New Zealand domestic operation looks to be imminent with pilots preparing to return to work and cut-price airfares on sale from July 1.

Jetstar's operations ground to a halt at the same time its parent company Qantas suspended all international flights in late March due to fallout from the coronavirus outbreak.

Both airlines have largely been in hibernation since then with the majority of their 30,000 staff stood down.

Jetstar now appears to be preparing for a return to New Zealand skies with fares from Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, Queenstown and Dunedin available from July 1, including Auckland to Wellington for as little as $34.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indust ... ibernation

Air New Zealand unveils new domestic schedule

Air New Zealand has unveiled an increased domestic schedule for July and August.

Operating at 55 per cent of the usual capacity, the airline will resume the Invercargill-Auckland A320 jet service, as well as operating Invercargill-Wellington, Christchurch-Rotorua and Christchurch-New Plymouth routes. The Timaru-Wellington and Taupo-Auckland routes resume on Monday.

Air New Zealand General Manager Networks Scott Carr said the airline has been encouraged by the demand from "leisure travellers".

"We’re also expecting demand for business travel to continue to build. As a result, we have been working to add more flying to our domestic schedule from next month and this includes additional services for the July school holidays," said Carr.

more:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/back-you ... c-schedule

This is good news, however some routes are yet to return no Christchurch - Napier but its nearly all back to normal just not at the same frequency as before. It will be a long time before we have hourly flights from both Wellington and Christchurch to Auckland like what we had pre covid.

zkncj

Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:46 am

NZ516 wrote:
This is good news, however some routes are yet to return no Christchurch - Napier but its nearly all back to normal just not at the same frequency as before. It will be a long time before we have hourly flights from both Wellington and Christchurch to Auckland like what we had pre covid.

Once JQ gets back into auction, I think you’ll find NZ got get back to normal on the main trunk pretty quick at around 80% of normal.

Likely we will see the a321NEOs still at peak times, rather than the every 30min at peak.

ZK-NBT

Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:27 am

zkncj wrote:
NZ516 wrote:

Once JQ gets back into auction, I think you’ll find NZ got get back to normal on the main trunk pretty quick at around 80% of normal.

Likely we will see the a321NEOs still at peak times, rather than the every 30min at peak.

80% on the main trunk? Overall domestic usually relies on around 50% International connections, I’m not sure if that’s the case on the main trunk aswell but 80% seems pretty optimistic to me in the short to medium term.

NZ516

Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:07 pm

zkncj wrote:
NZ516 wrote:

Regarding main trunk routes by July they have scheduled up to 11 daily flights CHC to AKL. At one time there use to be 19 daily flights. That is about 60% so still a way to go yet. But much better than the last couple of months.

afterburner33

Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:11 pm

Air India flight AI1306 (a B777-200LR) is about an hour away from touchdown in AKL.

I think this is the first of the AI repatriation flights? If so, have AI ever been to NZ before?

Gasman

Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:48 pm

Mike Hosking criticised Greg Foran on the radio this morning for being visibly absent during this crisis. Not remotely surprising in my view. Foran was bought in to NZ as a hatchet man - and while Covid-19 has given him a wonderful scapegoat for his agenda; I wouldn't expect him to be raising his head above the parapet anytime soon.

ZK-NBT

Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:02 am

afterburner33 wrote:
Air India flight AI1306 (a B777-200LR) is about an hour away from touchdown in AKL.

I think this is the first of the AI repatriation flights? If so, have AI ever been to NZ before?

Yes first repatriation flight. The exact same 77L VT-ALH did 2 commonwealth games charters to AKL in 2010, other than that AI 744s with the Indian prime minister or key people have visited.

NZ516

Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:35 am

Anger and dismay at Air New Zealand proposal to remove extra $150 million from its wages bill

Air New Zealand may need to slash more jobs on top of 4000 redundancies it's already made as it responds to Covid-19, its chief executive says.

In a letter sent to staff on Friday Greg Foran laid out a plan and timeline to get Air New Zealand back on its feet which included removing around $150 million more from its wages bill starting Friday.

"We are open to explore all options with unions that help meet our cost saving goals, but I do want to be clear that we need to brace ourselves for more discussions around leave without pay, reduced hours, job share, voluntary exits with redundancies as the last option," Foran said.

more:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indust ... wages-bill

Could see another 4000+ jobs gone with all roles outsourced in the future to save the business from going under. Not good for the workers affected for sure and more to join the dole line. All maintenance could potentially be done in SIN etc. All ground handling done by Swissport etc. A very big restructure is on the horizon!

zkncj

Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:42 am

NZ516 wrote:
Anger and dismay at Air New Zealand proposal to remove extra $150 million from its wages bill

Air New Zealand may need to slash more jobs on top of 4000 redundancies it's already made as it responds to Covid-19, its chief executive says.

In a letter sent to staff on Friday Greg Foran laid out a plan and timeline to get Air New Zealand back on its feet which included removing around $150 million more from its wages bill starting Friday.

"We are open to explore all options with unions that help meet our cost saving goals, but I do want to be clear that we need to brace ourselves for more discussions around leave without pay, reduced hours, job share, voluntary exits with redundancies as the last option," Foran said.

more:

Could see another 4000+ jobs gone with all roles outsourced in the future to save the business from going under. Not good for the workers affected for sure and more to join the dole line. All maintenance could potentially be done in SIN etc. All ground handling done by Swissport etc. A very big restructure is on the horizon!

Yet on the same day the New Zealand Government has just splashed 1.5billion(NZD) on purchasing 5x replacement C130s (https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/fiv ... orce-fleet)

Seems like some of the governments aviation spending isn’t going to the right places at the moment....

Zkpilot

Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:03 am

zkncj wrote:
NZ516 wrote:

more:

Yet on the same day the New Zealand Government has just splashed 1.5billion(NZD) on purchasing 5x replacement C130s (https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/fiv ... orce-fleet)

Seems like some of the governments aviation spending isn’t going to the right places at the moment....

While Air NZ does need support, your facetious comment really wasn’t necessary. The issues are distinct from each other and yes the Air Force absolutely needs replacement C-130 as the current ones are half a century old!
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

tullamarine

Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:03 am

zkncj wrote:
NZ516 wrote:

more:

Air NZ is a private company, not a government department. Why is it some people like privatised airlines to be nationalised when it suits them?
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

wstakl

Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:23 am

Gasman wrote:
Mike Hosking criticised Greg Foran on the radio this morning for being visibly absent during this crisis. Not remotely surprising in my view. Foran was bought in to NZ as a hatchet man - and while Covid-19 has given him a wonderful scapegoat for his agenda; I wouldn't expect him to be raising his head above the parapet anytime soon.

Judging by his email PR piece I just read, I get the feeling he doesn't want NZ as a long haul passenger airline in the future. Just remember they are determined to Survive, Revive and Thrive.....
Last edited by wstakl on Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZKNCI

Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:26 am

zkncj wrote:
NZ516 wrote:

more:

The MoD would have allocated the money last year when the initial deal was signed and was recorded in this year's budget, so it's not "just splashed".
(https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/391728/nz-defence-force-spends-1-billion-on-newer-aircraft-fleet)

40sqn's Hercs are the oldest operational C-130Hs in the world, NZ7001 being the first built, delivered in 1965. The Hercs form a key part of NZ and the Pacific's emergency relief and civil defence effort, as well as Antarctic support and other defence support work. Yet they're often in the media due to how often they break down, the entire fleet being grounded occasionally (eg, https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/391985/new-zealand-defence-force-s-hercules-planes-all-grounded-for-maintenance-faults) ; not surprising when they're 55 years old. Imagine Air NZ still flying DC-8s today as their primary equipment.
They should have been replaced in the early 2000s when the RAAF got J-Hercs, but we know how those years turned out for the RNZAF...
It is vital spending which has been too long deferred, like much other critical NZ infrastructure. The timing of the final deal just happens to be exceptionally unfortunate.

tullamarine

Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:51 am

wstakl wrote:
Gasman wrote:

Judging by his email PR piece I just read, I get the feeling he doesn't want NZ as a long haul passenger airline in the future. Just remember they are determined to Survive, Revive and Thrive.....

I think he has rightly identified that Air NZ is a relatively small airline from a fairly small country. There is no need for it to be a long-haul carrier as combined with partners such as SQ, UA and CX it can offer one-stop connections to just about everywhere be it on NZ metal or the partners' or both. This is a more sustainable approach than trying to be everything to everyone and losing money. Sure, it is not as glamorous as seeing NZ tails around the world but that would be an ego driven decision not a business decision.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

NZ321

Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:56 am

tullamarine wrote:
wstakl wrote:
Gasman wrote:

I think he has rightly identified that Air NZ is a relatively small airline from a fairly small country. There is no need for it to be a long-haul carrier as combined with partners such as SQ, UA and CX it can offer one-stop connections to just about everywhere be it on NZ metal or the partners' or both. This is a more sustainable approach than trying to be everything to everyone and losing money. Sure, it is not as glamorous as seeing NZ tails around the world but that would be an ego driven decision not a business decision.

I think that there is not enough information on exactly what NZ's strategy is right now in the public sphere to determine whether or not this is a "more sustainable approach" or that Foran "doesn't want NZ to be a "long haul carrier" etc. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. For a country that counts tourism so high in its priorities it doesn't make sense for NZ to be just a local regional player. I can't see NZ abandoning all long haul flying quite frankly. But not ready to put my cards on the table as to how things will look. I'd say what we're seeing now is more a case of NZ getting it's house in order to re-emerge as a more competitive airline for sure.
Plane mad!

Zkpilot

Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:19 pm

tullamarine wrote:
wstakl wrote:
Gasman wrote:

Well until Covid19 hit, NZ had been very profitable (one of only 3 investment grade airlines in the world), it was also growing rapidly. For now a smaller airline yes, but going forward if Covid19 goes away then it should be back to pre-Covid size within a few years. This is even more possible due to the many airlines around the world that are either ceasing to exist, or are drastically downsizing giving NZ even more possibility to be profitable.

NZ516

Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:13 pm

On last nights Radio NZ Checkpoint interview Greg was talking about why they still need to reduce labour costs by $150m. The airline is burning through $5 million per day which equals another $500 million gone in the next 100 days and he said we will be using the $900 million loan very soon. The length of the downturn is much longer than we anticipated a month ago and it's deteriating. Also if they paid out all the refunds they will go under so pleaded for the public to be patient at the moment and consider credits instead. He also said that they would like to go to New York but likely in the end of 2021 once things improve and a vaccine is available.

anstar

Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:41 pm

wstakl wrote:
Maybe already mentioned, but I was randomly checking expertflyer and notice QF has blocked he middle seat on their trans tasman 737's from August. Sure I read Alan Joyce saying they weren't going to do it as it wasn't necessary.

Middle seat blocks get removed from 12th June.

Zkpilot

Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:38 am

NZ516 wrote:
On last nights Radio NZ Checkpoint interview Greg was talking about why they still need to reduce labour costs by $150m. The airline is burning through $5 million per day which equals another $500 million gone in the next 100 days and he said we will be using the $900 million loan very soon. The length of the downturn is much longer than we anticipated a month ago and it's deteriating. Also if they paid out all the refunds they will go under so pleaded for the public to be patient at the moment and consider credits instead. He also said that they would like to go to New York but likely in the end of 2021 once things improve and a vaccine is available.

Won’t be $500m, most if not all of the 4000 redundancies take effect at the start of June (or earlier there have been a lot already gone). The grounding costs have now been done, flights are starting up again as are bookings.
I’d guess probably half that figure from next month.

zkncj

Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:01 am

NZ516 wrote:

How do they plan to honour these credits? If they would be broke if they were to refund, it would tend to suggest they have or will be spending funds already received to stay a float.

Tend to think post COVID-19, New Zealand rules and airlines around get funds before passengers travelling is revised.

I get that some funds are needed before the flight, but not 100%.

Maybe 80% should be held in trust, with 20% going to the airline straight away.

NZ516

Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:14 am

Zkpilot wrote:
NZ516 wrote:

Won’t be $500m, most if not all of the 4000 redundancies take effect at the start of June (or earlier there have been a lot already gone). The grounding costs have now been done, flights are starting up again as are bookings.

Here is the link to the checkpoint interview which you might find interesting:
https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programm ... ir-nz-boss

Anger and dismay at Air New Zealand plans to slash another 2000 jobs

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/121712 ... -2000-jobs

Foran now estimates that the workforce will end up being "well under half" of what it was pre covid so we can expect below 6000. Will it be enough and will they need another 3rd round of job cuts to make the magic number they need to finally break even. This is still the unknown as its a constant moving target.

NZ516

Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:18 am

Perhaps its time for some good news for a change.The IVC-AKL route must be strong enough as not need the International connections for it to survive:

Auckland flights to resume to Invercargill

Air New Zealand’s direct A320 jet service between Auckland and Invercargill will resume on July 6.

The airline has today released its domestic schedule for July and August with the airline to operate four return jet services a week on its Auckland-Invercargill route.

The airline resumed flights between Christchurch and Invercargill at the start of Alert Level 2 with that route operated by its 68-seat turboprop aircraft.

more:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/back-you ... vercargill

dc10s2hnl

Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:34 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
afterburner33 wrote:

Yes first repatriation flight. The exact same 77L VT-ALH did 2 commonwealth games charters to AKL in 2010, other than that AI 744s with the Indian prime minister or key people have visited.

There will now be five additional AI repatriation flights to AKL during June -- bookings have opened for both inbound and outbound:

DEL-AKL AI1316 77W. Depart 14 June 14:30, arrive 15 June 11:30.
    DEL-AKL AI1316 77W. Depart 17 June 19:30, arrive 18 June 16:30.
    DEL-AKL AI1316 77W. Depart 19 June 19:30, arrive 20 June 16:30.
    DEL-AKL AI1316 77W. Depart 21 June 19:30, arrive 22 June 16:30.
    BOM-AKL AI1316 77W. Depart 23 June 14:00, arrive 24 June 12:00.

Zkpilot

Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:25 am

NZ516 wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:
NZ516 wrote:

Foran now estimates that the workforce will end up being "well under half" of what it was pre covid so we can expect below 6000. Will it be enough and will they need another 3rd round of job cuts to make the magic number they need to finally break even. This is still the unknown as its a constant moving target.

Yes that article says they’ve spent $500m and are currently spending $5m per day. It doesn’t say they expect to spend $500m in the next 100 days.

Zkpilot

Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:27 am

NZ516 wrote:
Perhaps its time for some good news for a change.The IVC-AKL route must be strong enough as not need the International connections for it to survive:

Auckland flights to resume to Invercargill

Air New Zealand’s direct A320 jet service between Auckland and Invercargill will resume on July 6.

The airline has today released its domestic schedule for July and August with the airline to operate four return jet services a week on its Auckland-Invercargill route.

The airline resumed flights between Christchurch and Invercargill at the start of Alert Level 2 with that route operated by its 68-seat turboprop aircraft.

more:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/back-you ... vercargill

Of all the domestic flights in NZ, IVC would have to the the least dependant (or close to it) on international traffic.

NZ516

Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:58 pm

Zkpilot wrote:
NZ516 wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:

Yes that article says they’ve spent $500m and are currently spending $5m per day. It doesn’t say they expect to spend $500m in the next 100 days.

Foran in the interview points out that there is $640m left in the bank and it will be all spent and they will start using the $900m loan before the end of the year. At FEB they had $1.2b in the bank so they are burning through cash very fast.

Gasman

Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:01 pm

NZ516 wrote:
Also if they paid out all the refunds they will go under so pleaded for the public to be patient at the moment and consider credits instead.

If paying out the refunds will force them "under", then they have gone under already except on paper. Those credits still represent a liability that the airline won't be able to honour.

NZ516 wrote:
He also said that they would like to go to New York but likely in the end of 2021 once things improve and a vaccine is available.

I always said New York would never actually happen, although of course I never suspected it'd not happen quite so convincingly. It's a very high risk route both for both technical and economic reasons and one which will rely on rock solid economies, tourism, weather and market forces. If not Covid-19, a banking crisis, 787 technical issue, adverse weather patterns, US politics or any one of myriad of unpredictable factors could've put paid to it. "End of 2021" translates into "we have no idea, and maybe never".

NZ will certainly survive and ultimately, in my view prosper. For a while - perhaps a year or so - the route map will look like something out of the 1970s, but that phase will pass. If the picture in 10 years time is one of an airline more focused on legacy routes with bigger cash reserves and less of a sharmarket focus, in my world that's a good thing.

Zkpilot

Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:56 pm

NZ516 wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:
NZ516 wrote:

Foran in the interview points out that there is $640m left in the bank and it will be all spent and they will start using the $900m loan before the end of the year. At FEB they had $1.2b in the bank so they are burning through cash very fast.

There are 210 days left in the year....
As for the burning cash, they had a lot of refunds to issue (US flights for example), they had costs associated with grounding planes, redundancy payments, etc. Now that many of those costs have been finalised and their staff numbers are less they should have reduced burn. Add in the return of many flights, bookings and freight operations picking up that should also help to balance things somewhat. Yes that isn’t enough, but it is enough to reduce that burn to last more than 100 days.

NZ6

Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:39 am

I have to be extremely careful what I say here. However a few a-net myths which should be put to bed are:

a) Foran was brought in with some hidden agenda to cull staff numbers. He was brought in as a result of his extensive business experience in the sales and distribution sector, very much like Luxon was. All large businesses have a workforce that naturally mushrooms overtime and although a restructure is a bit of a taboo topic, is also necessary and healthy at times. COVID isn't the silver bullet to some hidden agenda.

b) Refunds vs Credits: NZ carries over 17m passengers annually, therefore a loose average of 1.4m per month. I can't go into exact details on numbers per month that have traveled vs had booked but even one months worth of credits at $300 per credit gives you $420M. Yes, it's very very loose math. Yes many are refundable within the fare rules others via the US Dot rules, yes some will be $39 Grab-a-Seat deals and yes, some will be tickets issued on other airline paper. Either way, you can see that over say 6 months you're still talking about a significant sum money tied up in these credits.

Could NZ offer refunds without going bankrupt. The short answer is yes, this money is in the business and isn't part of the quoted $1b of "savings" nor is it obviously part of the loan. The reason the airline states it can't afford to refund this is they need that cash in the business in the coming months/years as they start up again. If they did refund all tickets, we''d likely have to see other drastic measures taken to further reduce the normal operating costs of the business and instead of a 30% shrinkage, we'd see an airline 30% of what it was.

The loan and savings is being used to essentially pay for your normal business expenses, wages, rent, power, insurance and so forth.

COVID has wiped out over 90% of the companies annual revenue income. Wages alone are over $110m per month, there's a large number of staff who unfortunately simply have little to no work for the foreseeable future and those that do have work, the workload is significantly reduced.

It's a sad but an expected method for the airline to use. I don't think the airline is has done enough to explore all possible options especially around rehire process or even job security/review in 12,18 or 24 months time for example.

c) One from last month. EZE was a Luxon project. EZE is a key piece of the long term network strategy and you will find links/references from the Fyfe days around this. Unfortunately it's clear now is not the time to carrier such a route on your books but South America will return one day.

d) SQ's MEL-WLG flight under a Tasman bubble. Although the details of this aren't yet confirmed or public, this won't or can't happen. Airlines and Airports will not be able to mix passengers in the "bubble" with those moving in or out of either country. If SQ was to restart it's WLG-MEL-SIN it's highly highly likely any pax boarding in WLG will need to be destined for SIN or beyond.

One point I will agree on and that's Foran hasn't fronted NZ's response to the pandemic the way he should have. We've seen far more from Cam than Greg, online and in other channels.

Gasman

Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:02 am

NZ6 wrote:
I have to be extremely careful what I say here. However a few a-net myths which should be put to bed are:

a) Foran was brought in with some hidden agenda to cull staff numbers. He was brought in as a result of his extensive business experience in the sales and distribution sector, very much like Luxon was. All large businesses have a workforce that naturally mushrooms overtime and although a restructure is a bit of a taboo topic, is also necessary and healthy at times. COVID isn't the silver bullet to some hidden agenda.

Unless you personally are on the board of NZ you wouldn't have a clue what agendas were at play in terms of Foran's appointment. Sure, I have no hard evidence to prove he was bought in as a hatchet man either; except for a lifetime of experience observing corporates who have employed those of a similar mould to Foran. The Walmart background speaks volumes for a start.

ZK-NBT

Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:19 am

Re SQ MEL-WLG I agree they would be relying on WLG-MEL traffic only and given WLG is a comparatively small city I personally don’t see it returning at least not until there is some normality in other parts of the world and they can carry SIN bound pax.

I have said and do wonder if the likes of EK and TG will look at TT ex AKL with aircraft carrying freight DXB/BKK- Australia then pax to AKL and CHC in EK case, they would need to be able to have crews based in Australia would seem the safest so they only fly the Tasman for a period of time after a self isolation period.

NZ6

Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:35 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
Re SQ MEL-WLG I agree they would be relying on WLG-MEL traffic only and given WLG is a comparatively small city I personally don’t see it returning at least not until there is some normality in other parts of the world and they can carry SIN bound pax.

I have said and do wonder if the likes of EK and TG will look at TT ex AKL with aircraft carrying freight DXB/BKK- Australia then pax to AKL and CHC in EK case, they would need to be able to have crews based in Australia would seem the safest so they only fly the Tasman for a period of time after a self isolation period.

I'm not sure you're with me on this one 100%, it's about eliminating risk of exposing those moving around within the bubble to the virus.

So bubble passengers and non bubble passengers cannot be mixed. Onboard or at the airport. This will likely include crew. So both governments allowing 3rd national carriers TG,SQ,EK to fly "bubble" passengers without isolation measures will be off the cards.

An arrival into NZ who flew on SQ, SIN-MEL-WLG will need to stay in managed isolation like every other inbound arrival. Of course this is pending it being extended to include WLG. Very little point doing this if they were sat close to, or shared facilities with a "bubble passenger".

Then, I can't see SQ having an interest in MEL-WLG-MEL bubble only flights.

NZ6

Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:41 am

Gasman wrote:
NZ6 wrote:

Unless you personally are on the board of NZ you wouldn't have a clue what agendas were at play in terms of Foran's appointment. Sure, I have no hard evidence to prove he was bought in as a hatchet man either; except for a lifetime of experience observing corporates who have employed those of a similar mould to Foran. The Walmart background speaks volumes for a start.

Based on that, no one outside of the boardroom would know. Therefore it can't be ruled in or out.

There's nothing to suggest this was on the cards pre-COVID, the airline preforming very well, no excessive people/HR spend under the previous CEO and only a minor repositioning or realignment of some reporting lines were being looked at (that I'm aware of). Almost all CEO's do this when they take over within the first 6-12 months.

Air NZ isn't Walmart so I'm not sure if anyone can suggest that this single element of his background is the sole reason the business hired him for $1.6m and moved him across to the other side of the earth. If that was his "calling" would he really take such a wild pay cut.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos