Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

IrishTexan

Re: Irish 6/20: The behemoth reawakens ...

Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:36 pm

Eirules wrote:
IrishTexan wrote:
AA loaded their new schedule last night and the DFW-DUB flight times have changed significantly from last summer. From the loaded schedule the equipment either stays at DUB for over 24 hours, or more likely operates as alternating passenger/cargo legs allowing layover for cabin crew.
Is the daily DFW-DUB-DFW cargo flight still operating?
AA132 DFW-DUB Dep.17.00/Arr.07.35 Mon/Thu/Fri
AA133 DUB-DFW Dep.09.45/Arr.13.00 Wed/Sat/Sun
Excellent arrival times for onward connections.

Where are you seeing that? I’ve a DFW-DUB booked for August and it’s still showing a 22.20 departure

I was looking at July flights on AA.com and just rechecked. 17.00 dep still showing for July reverting to 22.20 for August.
July flights had a 22.20 departure yesterday and changed when the schedules were loaded last night.
DFW-LHR departure times have also been reshuffling each month.

usairways85

Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:47 pm

EK770 wrote:
IrishTexan wrote:
AA announced June 4 that DFW-DUB will restart July 7 as 3xWeekly service. I'm curious which days will have service as it's currently showing as daily service on aa.com. Anyone have any info? Tks.
http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/20 ... aspx#chart
On a related note, it seems that DFW is currently the busiest airport in the world, with AA restoring significant numbers of flights at/through it's home base.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1447221

Really interesting that AA is reinstating DFW before ORD or PHL?

As far as PHL goes, they still are not an approved airport to receive international travelers. I'm not sure how that works with pre-clearance.

Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:12 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
Route casualties so far (i.e. routes that won't be returning/commencing this summer as scheduled):

DUB-YUL (AC)
DUB-YVR (AC)
DUB-CLT (AA)
DUB-ATL (DL)
DUB-CAI (MS)
DUB-TLV (LY)
DUB-CAX (LM)
DUB-INV (LM)
DUB-ORD (UA)
DUB-IAD (UA)

NOC-GRO (FR)
NOC-CGN (AL)

SNN-EDI (RE)
SNN-PHL (AA)
SNN-JFK (DL)
SNN-EWR (UA)

Open to any corrections/amendments.

SNN-BOS is running? For real??

OA260

Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:43 am

DAA could ask State to help finance airport plan
CEO says it will apply if markets make retreat from €2bn funding

The Government should be prepared to step in to help bankroll major infrastructure development at Dublin Airport if the DAA finds it difficult after the pandemic to borrow more funds, according to the airport operator's chief executive Dalton Philips.

The semi-State company had embarked on a massive €2bn infrastructure development plan designed to boost passenger and aircraft capacity at Dublin Airport.

But with Mr Philips warning this week that combined passenger numbers at Dublin and Cork could plummet this year to just nine million from more than 35 million in 2019, most of its infrastructure projects are now under review.

https://amp.independent.ie/business/iri ... 67076.html

Aer Lingus confirms job cuts due to ‘decimation in demand’
Airline refuses to say how many contractors affected with other staff facing 70% pay cuts

Aer Lingus has cut a number of jobs due to what the airline described as the “decimation in demand for travel” during the coronavirus pandemic.

With almost all business and leisure travel suspended, and global commerce greatly impacted by the spread of coronavirus, the IAG-owned carrier confirmed that it had “deferred” a number of “planned appointments”.

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... 9?mode=amp

Fliplot

Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:38 am

A bit amused by Dalton Philips comments. The DAA chose, some time ago, to fund its capital expenditure to avoid Government interference! Now it seems that interference is acceptable again.

AmricanShamrok

Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:58 am

Dieuwer wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:
Route casualties so far (i.e. routes that won't be returning/commencing this summer as scheduled):

DUB-YUL (AC)
DUB-YVR (AC)
DUB-CLT (AA)
DUB-ATL (DL)
DUB-CAI (MS)
DUB-TLV (LY)
DUB-CAX (LM)
DUB-INV (LM)
DUB-ORD (UA)
DUB-IAD (UA)

NOC-GRO (FR)
NOC-CGN (AL)

SNN-EDI (RE)
SNN-PHL (AA)
SNN-JFK (DL)
SNN-EWR (UA)

SNN-BOS is running? For real??

Due to resume on 17th August at the time of compilation. Obviously schedules very fluid at the moment so subject to change.

JAmie2k9

Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:03 am

Fliplot wrote:
A bit amused by Dalton Philips comments. The DAA chose, some time ago, to fund its capital expenditure to avoid Government interference! Now it seems that interference is acceptable again.

That's incorrect.

The Government never had a policy to fund there projects. He says he will seek support if borrowing costs rise or borrowing contracts are terminated (i.e. if credit rating downgraded) and borrow via Goverment at lower rates and guaranteed security but pay it back.

Fliplot

Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:59 pm

Ir is not incorrect! Go back to when the late Seamus Brennan was transport minister. The DAA refused Government funding opting instead for commercial funding!. The reasons given were more flexibility for the DAA and to reduce EI influence in the department - EI's down town office at the time!!! In the same period Seamus started the two carrier policy.

EIBoston

Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:36 pm

Question on travel into Ireland right now. I know EI are stilling operating limited flight from JFK,ORD and BOS. Also know about filling in the Covid forms and the current 14 day quarantine. However is there a restriction on US Passport holders from entering right now? Thanks for any info.

S0Y

Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:01 pm

EIBoston wrote:
Question on travel into Ireland right now. I know EI are stilling operating limited flight from JFK,ORD and BOS. Also know about filling in the Covid forms and the current 14 day quarantine. However is there a restriction on US Passport holders from entering right now? Thanks for any info.

Non-essential travel is not allowed, though its unclear how hard that is being applied. Furthermore the advice from the EU seems to be pointing at extending the external EU border closure until July.

That said, there was a blog post over the weekend about a US citizen that was trying to get to Italy to visit his girlfriend. https://liveandletsfly.com/a-readers-il ... ed-europe/

He was not allowed to board his original flight in JFK, so tried to route via DUB instead. Apparently he got an earful from immigration at DUB, appears that supervisors were also involved. Eventually was let in, whereupon he could not check into a hotel because he needed proof of essential worker/travel. In the end it seems he basically turned around and went right back to the US

EI564

Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:16 pm

Interesting. I didn't know that about the hotels.

As far as I know, the Irish government advises against all non-essential travel. That's it. There is no law to say you can't make non-essential travel. The only legal requirement is that you fill in the quarantine form when you arrive into the country.

And clearly having somewhere to stay arranged would be advisable.

EI564

Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:18 pm

Fliplot wrote:
The DAA chose, some time ago, to fund its capital expenditure to avoid Government interference! Now it seems that interference is acceptable again.

These days, you can't rule out any options. There is a danger that any company could run out of money. But hopefully not.

JAmie2k9

Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:11 pm

Fliplot wrote:
Ir is not incorrect! Go back to when the late Seamus Brennan was transport minister. The DAA refused Government funding opting instead for commercial funding!. The reasons given were more flexibility for the DAA and to reduce EI influence in the department - EI's down town office at the time!!! In the same period Seamus started the two carrier policy.

The chosen business model is irrelevant. I don't think you or anyone would have predicted the current issues and incorporated them into a risk management plan. I also think he article is not accurate and it will only be a credit facility not Government funding them if the need arises.

You know with an incoming Green Transport Minister I suspect daa will do whatever to avoid having any discussions with Goverment.

AmricanShamrok

Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:49 pm

S0Y wrote:
EIBoston wrote:

Non-essential travel is not allowed, though its unclear how hard that is being applied. Furthermore the advice from the EU seems to be pointing at extending the external EU border closure until July.

That said, there was a blog post over the weekend about a US citizen that was trying to get to Italy to visit his girlfriend. https://liveandletsfly.com/a-readers-il ... ed-europe/

He was not allowed to board his original flight in JFK, so tried to route via DUB instead. Apparently he got an earful from immigration at DUB, appears that supervisors were also involved. Eventually was let in, whereupon he could not check into a hotel because he needed proof of essential worker/travel. In the end it seems he basically turned around and went right back to the US

I think the issue this passenger encountered at GNIB was that he could not provide an address to declare where he would self-isolate for 14 days. As far as I'm aware, the border is not actually closed to non-residents/EU/UK passport holders.

OA260

Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:48 pm

“ When asked about some airlines sending marketing emails to customers stating that flights to places like Portugal would soon be available to book, Harris said it was inappropriate.

“I take my travel advice from public health experts. Now is not the appropriate time to take non-essential trips abroad.

“We all love our summer holidays but now is not the right time to go,” he said.

He said he would like to see airlines who send marketing emails to include advice to customers that there is a 14-day quarantine period in Ireland once you arrive home, but he didn’t think airlines would ever include that on their advertising.

Harris said he could not predict when the foreign travel restrictions would be lifted but said the government would not keep them in place for any longer than is necessary.”

www.thejournal.ie/ireland-airdbridge-5116616-Jun2020/

kaitak
Topic Author

Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:54 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:
Fliplot wrote:

You know with an incoming Green Transport Minister I suspect daa will do whatever to avoid having any discussions with Goverment.

Is that likely? Or is it just one of the portfolios they have asked for. Not something I'd be comfortable with, from an aviation standpoint.

EIBusiness

Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:10 am

OA260 wrote:
“ When asked about some airlines sending marketing emails to customers stating that flights to places like Portugal would soon be available to book, Harris said it was inappropriate.

“I take my travel advice from public health experts. Now is not the appropriate time to take non-essential trips abroad.

“We all love our summer holidays but now is not the right time to go,” he said.

He said he would like to see airlines who send marketing emails to include advice to customers that there is a 14-day quarantine period in Ireland once you arrive home, but he didn’t think airlines would ever include that on their advertising.

Harris said he could not predict when the foreign travel restrictions would be lifted but said the government would not keep them in place for any longer than is necessary.”

http://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-airdbr ... 6-Jun2020/

As the article points out - such travel even now is not illegal and the faux quarantine is entirely unenforceable. Once again we see another day with more mixed comments from someone who is allegedly leading Ireland’s COVID-19 response but also so detached from commercial reality it is frightening.

Any restrictions will be gone by the end of June. We are already seeing moves to accelerate the opening of Ireland and that is going to continue. Anything other than that will see thousands permanently unemployed in the Aviation sector in Ireland with multiplier effects across the economy.

This is about so much more than a summer holiday. This is about the global economic connectivity of an island nation and the survival of so many businesses that rely on same.

OA260

Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:25 am

Shannon Airport meeting described as ‘positive’

The first meeting between airport management and the newly formed all-party Shannon Airport Oireachtas Group has been described as ‘positive’.

Shannon Group CEO Mary Considine said: “With Shannon Airport passenger traffic expected to be down circa 70% this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we were pleased to have had the opportunity to meet with and brief the Oireachtas members who have pledged to do all they can to support Shannon Airport in these unprecedented times. This crisis is having a catastrophic impact on international aviation and our business, and the support pledged by the Oireachtas members is very welcome.

http://clareherald.com/2020/06/shannon- ... ive-41411/

BA to resume flights at Belfast City Airport on July 1 as new data reveals 99 per cent fall in passengers during April

BRITISH Airways will resume twice daily flights from Belfast City Airport on July 1 as new figures reveal that just 2,669 passengers flew in or out of Northern Ireland on commercial flights during the entire month of April.

www.irishnews.com/business/2020/06/09/n ... l-1967239/

JAmie2k9

Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:54 am

kaitak wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:
Fliplot wrote:

Is that likely? Or is it just one of the portfolios they have asked for. Not something I'd be comfortable with, from an aviation standpoint.

It would be surprising if the Green's don't get one senior ministerial role and I don't think Communications, Climate Action and Environment department would satisfy them. More high profile department like Transport is the most likely to be given away just like it was to Mr Ross.

I hope its not but with how discussions have been going would appear Green's have compromised a lot so they must have something major out of it.

Good thing is the new Goverment will be distracted dealing with current issues and unlike before prepared to pull the plug. I can't see any radical polices affecting aviation passing.

OA260

Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:21 am

Most bucket and spade routes with Aer Lingus from DUB to Greece , Croatia, Turkey , Bulgaria have been zeroed out until 4/7.

IrishTexan

Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:19 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:

Unconfirmed rumours circulating online that the An-225 will be visiting SNN this Tuesday for the first time since 2013. A reminder not to visit unless you're a resident of Co. Clare or are within 20km of the airport ;)

Not today it seems. Maybe tomorrow.
http://www.clare.fm/headlines/arrival-w ... n-delayed/
If full, that's a lot of PPE on board.

AmricanShamrok

Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:35 pm

RE update:
- DUB-EDI and DUB-GLA to resume on 14th July
- Most remaining DUB and ORK services to resume on 1st August
- SNN-BHX to resume on 3rd September

https://www.independent.ie/business/aer ... 72566.html

It seems the seasonal DUB-JER and DUB-RNS routes will not return this year.

OA260

Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:37 pm

Interesting piece on Prime Time this evening and touched on this story currently .

Aer Lingus proposes pay cuts and work practice reforms

Aer Lingus has proposed a programme of pay cuts and permanent work practice reforms, which includes a staff commitment not to engage in industrial action where grievances arise until February 2022, according to a document seen by RTÉ News.

The document proposes an agreement that would run until February 2022, but unions have this evening insisted that no such agreement has been finalised.

The document states that the parties have worked together to invoke a set of industrial measures in the first instance to support Aer Lingus through the crisis and rebuild it in years to come.

www.rte.ie/amp/1146442/

Vicenza

Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:35 am

EIBusiness wrote:
OA260 wrote:

As the article points out - such travel even now is not illegal and the faux quarantine is entirely unenforceable. Once again we see another day with more mixed comments from someone who is allegedly leading Ireland’s COVID-19 response but also so detached from commercial reality it is frightening. .

To any sensible person 'commercial reality' should play very little, to no, part when dealing with a worldwide pandemic. As seems usual nowadays, too many businesses are only concerned with their own profits, and nothing else. Going forward in any major situation, businesses can/will adapt and if they can't/won't and go under, then too bad because it is a given that others will arrive to replace them.

RebelDJ

Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:49 am

AmricanShamrok wrote:

NOC-GRO (FR)
NOC-CGN (AL)

Interesting list - thanks!

Isn't NOC-CGN (FR) rather than (AL)?

OA260

Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:49 am

Passengers face queuing in car parks at Dublin Airport
DAA chief says social distancing restrictions will reduce terminal capacity by about 70%

Social distancing requirements will reduce capacity at Dublin Airport by 70 per cent once air travel recovers from the coronavirus pandemic, while travellers face queuing outside in repurposed car parks before gaining access to terminals, the airport’s owner has said.

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... 3?mode=amp

Aircraft lessor Nordic to seek lender scheme on €5bn debts

The High Court has given Irish-based aircraft lessor Nordic Aviation Capital the go-ahead to seek to enter into a scheme of arrangement with its creditors.

The NAC group of companies is the largest lessor of aircraft to regional airlines, and the fifth-largest aircraft lessor in the world. It employs over 100 people at its Limerick Headquarters.

Nordic wants to enter into scheme with its lenders due to the dire effects of the Covid-19 pandemic on the aviation industry.

If approved, the scheme will secure a six to 12-month standstill on millions of euro in principle and interest payments due to NAC's lenders of approximately €5bn of debt.

https://amp.independent.ie/business/iri ... 73995.html

AmricanShamrok

Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:28 am

RebelDJ wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:

NOC-GRO (FR)
NOC-CGN (AL)

Interesting list - thanks!

Isn't NOC-CGN (FR) rather than (AL)?

AL is the IATA code for Malta Air, a subsidiary of Ryanair Holdings, but I can see the confusion ;)

EIBusiness

Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:23 pm

Vicenza wrote:
EIBusiness wrote:
OA260 wrote:

As the article points out - such travel even now is not illegal and the faux quarantine is entirely unenforceable. Once again we see another day with more mixed comments from someone who is allegedly leading Ireland’s COVID-19 response but also so detached from commercial reality it is frightening. .

To any sensible person 'commercial reality' should play very little, to no, part when dealing with a worldwide pandemic. As seems usual nowadays, too many businesses are only concerned with their own profits, and nothing else. Going forward in any major situation, businesses can/will adapt and if they can't/won't and go under, then too bad because it is a given that others will arrive to replace them.

The reality, like it or not, is that the world must go on. This is absolutely nothing to do with making profits, it’s about the very survival as I already said of so many businesses in Ireland who rely upon international travel for trade etc. But you’re right - because if Ireland doesn’t open up in a meaningful way then the businesses and trade will simply move elsewhere and residual tax payers will have to pay for the long term burden for structural unemployment.

That said - we have seen good momentum towards an accelerated but safe reopening program from the Irish government in the past week in stark contrast to the variable nonsense that was being floated beforehand.

AmricanShamrok

Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:36 pm

IrishTexan wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:

Unconfirmed rumours circulating online that the An-225 will be visiting SNN this Tuesday for the first time since 2013. A reminder not to visit unless you're a resident of Co. Clare or are within 20km of the airport ;)

http://www.clare.fm/headlines/arrival-w ... n-delayed/

Anyone know the scheduled time of its departure to KBP tomorrow?

Phen

Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:47 pm

Vicenza wrote:

EIBusiness is correct. Aviation serves many more interests than paying the staff that are directly employed within it. Ireland's tourism sector to name one relies very heavily on inbound air traffic, without which that sector of the economy will collapse. Domestic tourism is not enough to sustain many businesses in the tourism industry here and being an island nation, Ireland relies even moreso on aviation than other continental European countries, for example, which have assess to realistic alternative international travel methods via road and rail.

It is not feasible to keep the aviation/tourism sector of the economy, which employs hundreds of thousands of people (directly and indirectly), closed for the foreseeable future. Many public health experts have already commented on the need for all sectors of the economy to reopen to some extent. In order for people to be able to look after themselves (i.e. buy food, pay rent, feed their families), stay healthy and be able to pay for healthcare, they need to be earning money. Letting these businesses (from airlines to B&Bs) go bust will result in another pandemic - of unemployment - which means less income for the Government, more outgoings on social welfare and less money to spend on the health service.

Nobody disagrees that striking a safe balance is extremely difficult. But the way it is now with only a fraction of normal activity ongoing in aviation cannot be sustained, Covid or no Covid.

EIEIDW

Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:23 pm

Reached out to ET and they confirmed they don’t have any flights scheduled from ADD to DUB

Vicenza

Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:06 pm

[/quote]
EIBusiness is correct. Aviation serves many more interests than paying the staff that are directly employed within it. Ireland's tourism sector to name one relies very heavily on inbound air traffic, without which that sector of the economy will collapse. Domestic tourism is not enough to sustain many businesses in the tourism industry here and being an island nation, Ireland relies even moreso on aviation than other continental European countries, for example, which have assess to realistic alternative international travel methods via road and rail.

It is not feasible to keep the aviation/tourism sector of the economy, which employs hundreds of thousands of people (directly and indirectly), closed for the foreseeable future. Many public health experts have already commented on the need for all sectors of the economy to reopen to some extent. In order for people to be able to look after themselves (i.e. buy food, pay rent, feed their families), stay healthy and be able to pay for healthcare, they need to be earning money. Letting these businesses (from airlines to B&Bs) go bust will result in another pandemic - of unemployment - which means less income for the Government, more outgoings on social welfare and less money to spend on the health service.

Nobody disagrees that striking a safe balance is extremely difficult. But the way it is now with only a fraction of normal activity ongoing in aviation cannot be sustained, Covid or no Covid.[/quote]

Extremely difficult indeed, and I was not suggesting that aviation be kept closed indefinitely. Of course it is vitally important, and that goes without saying. However, the safety of a nations population is even more vital. What I was stating was the seemingly primary motive of aviation is solely to protect it own interests and profits. I agree entirely with what you say in general, but would equally state that airlines aren't in the least bit interested in the wider economy nor the people employed in it. It is important to remember that the unprecedented spread of the pandemic itself was caused primarily by airlines and the ease of travel.Those same airlines didn't stop flying/shut down out of their 'concern' for people's safety......the shutdown was forced on them by passengers themselves. As I said, in any type of critical scenario businesses will adapt, against their will usually of course, and for those that don't others will take their place.

S0Y

Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:38 pm

IrishTexan wrote:

RTE website has a clip of the AN-225 touching down https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/06 ... e-shannon/

The title of this months thread is quite fitting for this event

kaitak
Topic Author

Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:51 pm

S0Y wrote:
IrishTexan wrote:

RTE website has a clip of the AN-225 touching down https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/06 ... e-shannon/

Some of us have the gift of foresight! (If only I had that gift last year, I'd have put myself in suspended animation for the next two years!)

Incidentally, what is the current position as regards the EU and our quarantine? It's now around 3 weeks to go until the 1st July and if things are going to get back to normal on that date, then there would need to be a firm announcement ... or is it's something that's going to happen on the 29th at 23.59?

Don't understand why so many airlines are starting within the next week; are they comfortable with very low loads for the rest of June?

AmricanShamrok

Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:18 pm

kaitak wrote:
S0Y wrote:
IrishTexan wrote:

Some of us have the gift of foresight! (If only I had that gift last year, I'd have put myself in suspended animation for the next two years!)

Incidentally, what is the current position as regards the EU and our quarantine? It's now around 3 weeks to go until the 1st July and if things are going to get back to normal on that date, then there would need to be a firm announcement ... or is it's something that's going to happen on the 29th at 23.59?

Don't understand why so many airlines are starting within the next week; are they comfortable with very low loads for the rest of June?

It will be interesting to see which countries the so-called "air bridges" are initially extended to. Will Britain be on the list? Our nearest neighbour and biggest trading partner but continues to be among the countries producing the highest amount of new cases in Europe...

European countries that have similar or lower numbers to ourselves (by number of cases reported in last 14 days* relative to the population size) may be an indicator of the first "air bridge" destinations:
- Austria
- Bulgaria
- Croatia
- Cyprus
- Czech Republic
- Denmark
- Finland
- Germany
- Greece
- Hungary
- Iceland
- Latvia
- Lithuania
- Luxembourg
- Malta
- Norway
- Slovakia
- Switzerland

Destinations that may NOT be on the "air bridge" list going by this metric:
- Great Britain
- France
- Italy
- Moldova
- Netherlands
- Poland
- Portugal
- Romania
- Russia
- Spain
- Sweden

*Source: https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/geographi ... ncov-cases

OA260

Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:21 am

DAA to suspend new office plan at Dublin Airport - CEO

The DAA will slow development of its Dublin Airport Central office plan in light of the Covid-19 pandemic and speculation that it could result in more people working from home in the long term, according to CEO Dalton Philips.

The project already has tenants including Kellogg's and ESB International in phase one, with the cereal giant set to move in later this year. There are three office blocks in the phase.

https://amp.independent.ie/business/iri ... 76770.html

Ireland West Airport Knock's managing director appointed to new aviation taskforce

Joe Gilmore, managing director of Ireland West Airport Knock, has been appointed to the new National Taskforce for Aviation Recovery.

Transport Minister Shane Ross yesterday announced the members of the new taskforce, which will make recommendations to the Minister on what needs to be done to get Irish aviation back up and running after the Covid-19 pandemic, as a major driver of economic recovery.

www.midwestradio.ie/index.php/news/3924 ... kforce/amp

iRISH251

Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:39 am

AmricanShamrok wrote:

0900 on the 12th.

OA260

Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:54 am

Bombardier to cut 600 jobs in Northern Ireland

One of Northern Ireland's largest employers is to cut 600 jobs.

Canadian aircraft manufacturing Bombardier says the move is in response to the impact of Covid-19.

Bombardier employs around 3,600 people across several sites in Northern Ireland.

Around a sixth of those jobs are to go.

400 core staff and around 200 agency workers are to lose their jobs.

http://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2020/0611 ... ombardier/

AmricanShamrok

Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:19 pm

iRISH251 wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:

0900 on the 12th.

Thanks.

Great flight deck video here of yesterday's An-225 approach to RWY06, landing and taxi at SNN. I'd love to know what they're conversing about; they mention Aer Lingus at 10:45 when passing one of the parked A330s!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGvXVnJOUY0

Clydenairways

Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:28 pm

Thanks for sharing. Not sure what they were talking about but didn't sound too happy when asked to make a 180 turn to backtrack.

OA260

Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:00 pm

daa Implements Enhanced COVID-19 Measures At Dublin And Cork Airports

Passengers strongly recommended to wear face masks inside airport buildings
Only those travelling should enter the terminals
Enhanced deep cleaning measures throughout the airport
960 hand sanitisers, 720 protective plexiglass screens, 10,500 pieces of COVID-19 related signage

Passengers should bring their own face mask from home, but if they forget to do so, masks will be available for purchase at the airport. Ten dedicated face mask vending machines are being installed at Dublin and Cork airport and most will be in situ by the end of next week. Masks will also be available in a large number of existing vending machines.

http://www.dublinairport.com/latest-new ... k-airports

kaitak
Topic Author

Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:12 pm

Clydenairways wrote:
Thanks for sharing. Not sure what they were talking about but didn't sound too happy when asked to make a 180 turn to backtrack.

That was my impression too! I would love to see the translation subtitles, if they're ever added, but I can't think that a 180 in an aircraft of that size is easy; tyre scrub must be quite something!

iRISH251

Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:37 pm

I believe the An-225 was offered runway 24 but opted for 06, which presumably necessitated the backtrack to reach the designated parking position. Especially given that SNN is currently full of stored airliners, I imagine that the whole operation was carefully planned and choreographed.

alancostello

Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:51 pm

iRISH251 wrote:
I believe the An-225 was offered runway 24 but opted for 06, which presumably necessitated the backtrack to reach the designated parking position. Especially given that SNN is currently full of stored airliners, I imagine that the whole operation was carefully planned and choreographed.

24 would've definitely needed the backtracking, have a look at the satellite imagery and you'll see there are no exit points for the last third of the runway

AmricanShamrok

Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:18 pm

Maybe taxiways E/D2/D1 are unable to handle an aircraft of that size?

It had a fairly swift deceleration from watching the video so if it had landed on 24, it should have made taxiway A without having to backtrack I’d have thought. Open to correction though. The winds at time of arrival yesterday (though very light) favoured a 06 arrival.

OA260

Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:19 pm

Belfast International Airport resumes first passenger flight on Monday

Budget airline easyJet is commencing a reduced flying schedule to eight destinations.

Belfast International Airport resumes its first passenger flight on Monday following the coronavirus lockdown.

Budget airline easyJet is commencing a reduced flying schedule to eight destinations: London Gatwick, Liverpool, Birmingham, Bristol, Newcastle, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Faro.

https://amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news ... 79125.html

Phen

Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:32 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
Maybe taxiways E/D2/D1 are unable to handle an aircraft of that size?

It had a fairly swift deceleration from watching the video so if it had landed on 24, it should have made taxiway A without having to backtrack I’d have thought. Open to correction though. The winds at time of arrival yesterday (though very light) favoured a 06 arrival.

Yes that may well be it, perhaps taxiway D2/D1 or the central part of the apron are not AN225 capable. D2 also seems to be a bit narrower than A. But equally possible is the fact that the wingspan is so large that there might not have been sufficient clearance for the wings from other parked aircraft if it had taxied in on the Deltas. There are aircraft currently parked either side of the Deltas.

Interestingly in the cockpit video posted earlier, the tower calls out westerly winds throughout the approach so despite them landing on 06, 24 would actually have been more favourable for a headwind landing. I'm not sure why they would have preferred to land on 06 with a tailwind but in any case, by most accounts PPE is very light but bulky. So I'm sure the aircraft was nowhere near max landing weight with a belly of PPE considering it was built to carry space shuttles!

OA260

Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:57 pm

Aer Lingus reintroducing select routes from 1st July.

AmricanShamrok

Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:20 pm

Video of the An-225 departing SNN this morning. It did a wing wave for the crowd gathered near the RWY24 threshold just after rotation which was a nice touch.

https://twitter.com/ShannonAirport/stat ... 5658546178

AmricanShamrok

Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:38 pm

Unions and management at Aer Lingus agree on Covid-19 crisis recovery plan

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/06 ... very-plan/

Good news for EI staff based at SNN in that previously announced layoffs will now be averted. Hopefully this coupled with any ease of travel restrictions to be announced by the government will mean the resumption of EI ops at SNN before September.