Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

stylo777

Re: Turkish Aviation June 2020

Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:02 pm

the only two potential A380 operators to IST (before Corona...) were in my opinion EK and QR. In fact, there was even an "unofficial" rally for the first-mover between both.
well, the virus has changed a lot and most if not all a380 operators set already a retirement date. sad, but thats the reality right now thus I honestly don't think that the airport will see the A380 on regular basis at all.

regarding the new runway:
at one point there was a planning to divide the terminal and concourses into geographical areas. as far as I remember, anything going "East - South-East" would depart from concourse F which actually is closest to the new runway. they even have some A380 gates built at this concourse. therefore, it's not only beneficial for domestic flying, but it also helps all Middle-East and Asia bound flights cutting down taxitimes to the minimum compared to a 16R departure to the South :)

emre787

Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:59 pm

TK105 wrote:
Perhaps not in near future but I think we will see EK A380 at IST.

If I remember correctly EK wanted to come with the A380 but the civil aviation authority SHGM didn't give clearance to them. Maybe members like LAXintl or so can give more details about it or correct me :)

lightsaber

Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:17 pm

mafaky wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
The 3rd runway was always planned to be shorther.

Also 45m width is the global (ICAO) standard for large commercial jet operations. 60m only recommended for category F aircraft(A380), but even they can still operate from 45m without issues.

It is publicly known that there will be 5(five) south/north direction runways at IST, eventually, all capable of completely independent operations. This is according to the BOTs Agreement and master plan. The tender was based on these criteria.

The first two of these are 16/34 (3.750x60) & 17/35 (4.100x60) runways which also boast an identical length emergency runways each 45 mt. wide, and 210 mt. apart from the main (60 mt. wide) rwys. Taxiways are not counted here. The third runway (one recently made operational) is the 18/36 originally planned as 3.750 mt. and without any emergency runway. It's width has been debated recently. Some insist saying that it was planned as a 60 mt. wide rwy but personally I very much doubt that. I strongly think that it was already projected as a 45 mt. one.The BOTs agreement's details are are not disclosed to public knowledge (kept as a closely guarded secret!!!), so there's no way for us to know the truth.

This runway could not be completed as a 3.750 mt. one but has been presently built as 3.060x45 mt. The reason given for the shortage (by IGA, the BOTs Consortium) is that the excavation and earth flattening process needed for that last 700 mt. will take too long (like a year's time) but that runway was urgently needed for operations. Of course, this was the situation before Covid-19 pandemic era.

Now, as the original project envisages a 3.750 mt. rwy:
a) Either IGA & DHMI (=State Airports Directorate, as the Project Owner) have reached an agreement that this rwy will be finished as 3.060 mt. and have amended the Original Agreement (but this has not been publicly announced),
b) DHMI will (or already has) made a temporary acceptance for this rwy and that it will be completed to 3.750 mt. at some undisclosed future. (There are some unofficial murmors on this, from IGA)

We will come to know about this, maybe only years ahead!

What the fact is: the 18/36 rwy is declared operational for the very moment but only daytime departures are allowed and no landings because its ILS are still not been made operational.

In my gutfeel, the two remaining south/north rwys (a long time in the future not less than 5-8 years...) will be constructed as 3.750x45 mt. and without and any emergency rwys.

A final note about 60 mt. wide rwys: Some claim a 60 mt. wide rwy is safer than a 45 mt. in order to avoid/minimise runway excursions when landing at heavy crosswinds. Well, this is a valid reason but not the full one. The foremost reason is that's "well being"! of the F-Category civil aircraft, particularly the a380.

a380's wingspan is almost 80 mt. and even if the pilot manages to land at exactly the center line, the wings actually protrude over the width of the 45 mt. rwy. That's ok, as long as there will be no obstacles to collide the wings at the sideways but there's another sinister threat: that's the presence of FODs on the unpaved ground on the two sideways. It is possible that No. 1 & 4 engines can suck in any possible FODs that may incur serious damages to the engines with very expensive and time taking repairs. That's why a 60 mt. wide runway is much preferable for a380 operations.

Do you know when the 3rd runway ILS is scheduled for completion? Until it is landing and night time takeoffs, the usefulness in cutting taxi times is much less

As the only likely A380 flights are short hauls, the length will work.

Good to see expansion!

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

mercure1

Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:26 pm

The 60 vs 45m discussion is probably overblown. 60m is the rarer, with 45m being more typical at international airports (30m runways also exist).

Other frequent A380 in Europe airports don't have all 60m either - CDG 2 of 4 are 60m, FRA 1 of 4 is 60m, LHR none are 60m.
mercure f-wtcc

mafaky

Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:36 pm

[quote]...at one point there was a planning to divide the terminal and concourses into geographical areas. as far as I remember, anything going "East - South-East" would depart from concourse F which actually is closest to the new runway. they even have some A380 gates built at this concourse.[quote]

There actually are 12 gates/parking positions compatible with F-category aircraft at IST. 4 of these have triple M.A.R.S PBBs that can also serve the upper decks of 380s. Three of these are located next to one another at Pier (Concourse) F. F is the the eastern concourse adjacent to Concourse G (dedicated to domestic flights...)The fourth one is located in Concourse A. The other 8 F-capable gates have dual M.A.R.S. PBBs dispersed in Concources A, B and possibly western pocket of F.

As for 3rdRunway's ILS capability: should be certified in near future I guess. However, today someone was claiming (according to FR24 readings) a domestic flight actually landed at the new rwy (daytime hours...).
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

TK787
Topic Author

Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:06 pm

Nice conversation here :)
Who would have thought when we first started having these threads 14+ years ago, that we would be sharing opinions about:
-What would be the first airline to use A380 to IST?
-That there are rumors of ILS problems on the 3rd runway at a new airport that was built North of the city??
Hey, by the way TK is flying a 787-9 to Almaty today. I think this is the first time.

Thenoflyzone

Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:24 am

It's a bit stupid that they built a brand new airport with closely spaced parallel runways with no parallel taxiway in between. That is a huge mistake. If you use both runways simulatenously, the risk of runway incursion is far greater in this configuration.

That why an airport like LAX built a parallel taxiway in between the 25s, as an example.

YYZ has a lot of incidents on the south complex (the 06/24s) precisely for this reason as well. No parallel taxiway in between.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

Jetty

Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:04 am

TK787 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
What happens if a tourist arrives?
-Passengers with a positive test result will not be allowed to enter Turkey and will be deported.

How does that work? Normally deporting a refused passenger is the responsibility of the airline of the inbound flight. Will airlines have to carry passangers known to be infected on a plane with other passengers? :o That seems highly irresponsible. Most other nations have a quarantine rule in place for such cases instead of deportation.

LAXintl

Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:02 am

Thenoflyzone wrote:
It's a bit stupid that they built a brand new airport with closely spaced parallel runways with no parallel taxiway in between. That is a huge mistake. If you use both runways simulatenously, the risk of runway incursion is far greater in this configuration.

That why an airport like LAX built a parallel taxiway in between the 25s, as an example.

YYZ has a lot of incidents on the south complex (the 06/24s) precisely for this reason as well. No parallel taxiway in between.

:confused: :confused:

All the runways are wholly independent. Don't confuse the adjacent narrower taxiways which can serve as backup runway if needed. (such as at LGW and other airports do)
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Blerg

Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:07 am

Jetty wrote:
TK787 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
What happens if a tourist arrives?
-Passengers with a positive test result will not be allowed to enter Turkey and will be deported.

How does that work? Normally deporting a refused passenger is the responsibility of the airline of the inbound flight. Will airlines have to carry passangers known to be infected on a plane with other passengers? :o That seems highly irresponsible. Most other nations have a quarantine rule in place for such cases instead of deportation.

Don't know how it will work in Turkey but in Cyprus, before the total corona-meltdown, JU couldn't depart back to BEG until all passengers cleared the passport control. In case someone was suspicious or had a fever they were immediately taken back to the plane and sent back to Belgrade.

Thenoflyzone

Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:28 am

LAXintl wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:

All the runways are wholly independent. Don't confuse the adjacent narrower taxiways which can serve as backup runway if needed. (such as at LGW and other airports do)

So they never plan on using more than 3 runways? Kind of setting the bar low. Why build 5 runways and then only use 3. Stupid, either way.

Only airports with a single runway (like LGW) need to make an emergency runway out of a taxiway. IST built a brand new airport, with 5 runways, and wants to only use 3. No one builds multi-million dollar emergency runways to just sit there like that, especially at airports with 3 other functioning runways, except in Turkey I guess. Waste of money.

LAXintl wrote:
With the 3rd independent runway at IST, the airport joins CDG with the highest authorized hourly capacity - 120 movements in Europe.
120 is actually somewhat conservative and likely we raised once the operational experience is gained.

CDG has done 148 movements/hour, which is their record, back in 2010 I believe.

The 120 cap at CDG is artificial, and takes into account A380s, which need more spacing on final. The CDG runways can handle more than 120, easily, as the record they hold clearly shows.

By contrast, IST's figure of 120 is by no means conservative. 120 movements on 3 runways is 40 per runway.

120 movements on 4 runways - like at CDG - is conservative. (30 movements per runway).
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

calstanford

Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:10 am

Hi all,
I am trying to fly out of IST to HKG in the coming day (not a Turkish national and thus don't have Kimlik numerasi). THY gives me the runaround for days with emails that tell me to input my HES code in order to fly out but then the form doesn't give me the option to fill in my HES code. Whenever I go to it it tells me "as you are flying internationally you don't need it". Meanwhile customer service keeps telling me I do need it to fly out, just not to fly into Turkey. This kept going in circles.

Does anyone have an idea what I can do? I was able to finally get a HES number, but neither does the form on turkishairlines .com allow me to type it in, nor does customer service understand what to do.

leftyboarder

Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:29 am

Thenoflyzone wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:

So they never plan on using more than 3 runways? Kind of setting the bar low. Why build 5 runways and then only use 3. Stupid, either way.

Only airports with a single runway (like LGW) need to make an emergency runway out of a taxiway. IST built a brand new airport, with 5 runways, and wants to only use 3. No one builds multi-million dollar emergency runways to just sit there like that, especially at airports with 3 other functioning runways, except in Turkey I guess. Waste of money.

LAXintl wrote:
With the 3rd independent runway at IST, the airport joins CDG with the highest authorized hourly capacity - 120 movements in Europe.
120 is actually somewhat conservative and likely we raised once the operational experience is gained.

The 120 cap at CDG is artificial, and takes into account A380s, which need more spacing on final. The CDG runways can handle more than 120, easily, as the record they hold clearly shows.

By contrast, IST's figure of 120 is by no means conservative. 120 movements on 3 runways is 40 per runway.

120 movements on 4 runways - like at CDG - is conservative. (30 movements per runway).

I think you got the whole plan wrong. The final airport will have 6 independent runways, of which only 3 have been built. it just so happens that they added parallel taxiways to two of these 3 that can also be used as backup runways. There are still 3 more independent runways planned. And the backup runways are handy as in case one or two of the main ones goes inop you don't have to revert to 2 or single runway operations.

TK787
Topic Author

Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:15 pm

For all interested; here are some plans from 2016 to see the different phases of IST. As of now, IIRC, Phase One is almost complete except for support buildings. Many things have changed but it gives you an idea.
Who knows when will another terminal be needed, or 3 more runways. But, there is a plan:
http://www.experiencetheskies.com/istan ... n-in-2018/

mafaky

Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:58 pm

The two emergency rays at IST (which actually are 3.750*45 mt. and 4.100*45 mt. respectively) are marked as runways and are 210 mt. apart from their main runways, centerline to centerline.

This means that actually two planes can land or take-off, with some safety distance part (eliminating wake-turbulence) but on visual approaches/take-offs (no ILS utilization). Not much used in practice, nowadays! Also, it is possible that a plane lands at the main runway while another plane can take off from the emergency runway after a while, thus improving the overall efficiency. This scenario has been tried and tested, in the past.
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

Blerg

Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:06 pm

German Sunexpress is no more, this should not affect the Turkish side. I guess it has to do with lower operating costs on the Turkish side.

https://www.airliners.de/lufthansa-sune ... usiv/55695

Mystic

Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:02 pm

Blerg wrote:
German Sunexpress is no more, this should not affect the Turkish side. I guess it has to do with lower operating costs on the Turkish side.

https://www.airliners.de/lufthansa-sune ... usiv/55695

They're also announcing further growth in the Turkish domestic market.

stylo777

Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:17 am

What does it mean for Sunexpress to focus more on the domestic market?
In my opinion, both ADB and AYT were already well connected to all major cities of Turkey with direct flights.
I have a hard to believing that XQ will be successful in filling 189 seats on their 738 to smaller cities; unless, the growth in the domestic market is linked to the opening of another base or even the complete takeover of Anadolujet operations at ESB. Ankara is already a big crew base since they do most of the AJ flying for TK (in wetlease).
This is the only meaningful scenario considering they only operate one aircraft type. It would be a different story let's say with the A220 or E90/E2.

lightsaber

Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:57 pm

leftyboarder wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

LAXintl wrote:

I think you got the whole plan wrong. The final airport will have 6 independent runways, of which only 3 have been built. it just so happens that they added parallel taxiways to two of these 3 that can also be used as backup runways. There are still 3 more independent runways planned. And the backup runways are handy as in case one or two of the main ones goes inop you don't have to revert to 2 or single runway operations.

Expanding, so we have a 3 runway airport with *wide* taxiways already approved as backup runways.

This is an airport that will be trivial to maintain the runways.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

TK787
Topic Author

Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:45 pm

TK is using 787-9s for today's IAD, ORD, MIA and LAX flights.

fil87

Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:26 am

Below is the link to a trip report from few days ago on a TK long-haul flight. Once again, such a service is NOT acceptable in a premium cabin. Full stop.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish ... 020-a.html

TK787
Topic Author

Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:52 am

fil87 wrote:
Below is the link to a trip report from few days ago on a TK long-haul flight. Once again, such a service is NOT acceptable in a premium cabin. Full stop.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish ... 020-a.html

Thanks for the TR. Wow, what a difference since the last time I took that exact flight, 9 months ago :(
That's why this is no time to fly unless you absolutely have to. These are extraordinary times and most of this should be expected.
Hey, I am in NYC and I am still washing all my groceries with soap still, for the last 3 months :) I haven't been on any kind of transportation except my bicycle. So, it is only understandable that TK is trying to save its crew and its passengers by doing whatever they think is necessary.
It is all about safety and financial survival.
Oh, by the way, I am sure the middle seats were not empty. TK CEO said that that is not viable and the latest pax numbers from US flights suggest, most flights ar full.
If other airlines take the lead and normalize their service standards, TK will eventually follow. But, knowing TK culture, they are not going to take the lead on this.

TK787
Topic Author

Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:07 pm

Well, this is strange:
TK had 4 x 787-9s at KPAE waiting to be delivered. TC-LLL, TC-LLM, TC-LLN, TC-LLO. Making TC-LLO (line number 1021) the 15th for TK and the next one will be delivered next year. The 16th would be TC-LLP (line number 1113)
Here is a picture of TC-LLP at KPAE yesterday:
http://www.paineairport.com/kpae18446g.htm
So, TK has 5 frames ready? What do you make of this??

VCVSpotter

Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:15 pm

TK787 wrote:
Well, this is strange:
TK had 4 x 787-9s at KPAE waiting to be delivered. TC-LLL, TC-LLM, TC-LLN, TC-LLO. Making TC-LLO (line number 1021) the 15th for TK and the next one will be delivered next year. The 16th would be TC-LLP (line number 1113)
Here is a picture of TC-LLP at KPAE yesterday:
http://www.paineairport.com/kpae18446g.htm
So, TK has 5 frames ready? What do you make of this??

Has there been any news of immediate deferrals? They may just be adding up at PAE as production continues....
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Just a normal teenager juggling AP classes and airplanes. No biggie • Love the 747 & 777-9 • Farewell BA/KL 744s

TKflyer

Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:15 pm

I couldn‘t find any pictures and infos about TC–LLL (msn and CN)

TK787
Topic Author

Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:47 pm

TKflyer wrote:

Well .... 1001 was to be TC-LLL.
Could it be that somehow, they skipped TC-LLL and went to TC-LLM ??
What could be the reason?

AirbusA343

Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:41 pm

TK787 wrote:
TKflyer wrote:

Well .... 1001 was to be TC-LLL.
Could it be that somehow, they skipped TC-LLL and went to TC-LLM ??
What could be the reason?

There's another aircraft registered TC-LLL, a Cessna I think.

OTTOMANAIR

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:12 am

TK starting flights to Tehran on July, 16th. I don’t understand why they are rushing to fly to countries that are hit really hard by the virus.

Blerg

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:16 am

OTTOMANAIR wrote:
TK starting flights to Tehran on July, 16th. I don’t understand why they are rushing to fly to countries that are hit really hard by the virus.

My guess is that with all the uncertainty regarding this year's tourist season, the government is pushing TK to resume as many flights as possible to reduce losses.

TK787
Topic Author

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:26 am

OTTOMANAIR wrote:
I don’t understand why they are rushing to fly to countries that are hit really hard by the virus.

The virus is moving faster than TK making schedule decisions.
Why fly to MIA, LAX and not JFK ?

LLA001

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:34 am

Hello, I need some help on London-IST Flights

We have relatives who want to come back to Turkey but their mid-july TK flights are being cancelled and re-instated again.

What I hear is, if a flight gets full or good enough load at a specific day, they open the flight as a repatriation flight and go on with it. If there is not enough demand they cancel the flight. However there is no way to find which flight has better loads.

Will be there a regular scheduled flight in Mid-July end of July, or any idea how to get tickets for a flight that will actually happen? ( UK and IST callcenters were very helpful, so instead asking you guys :) )

TK787
Topic Author

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:51 am

Not sure about London-IST, but if they are in a hurry....there were LGW flights to AYT and DLM today, in the air.
About the loads, maybe someone with expertflyer.com subscription might help you.

767Forever

Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:24 pm

LLA001 wrote:

We have relatives who want to come back to Turkey but their mid-july TK flights are being cancelled and re-instated again.

What I hear is, if a flight gets full or good enough load at a specific day, they open the flight as a repatriation flight and go on with it. If there is not enough demand they cancel the flight. However there is no way to find which flight has better loads.

Will be there a regular scheduled flight in Mid-July end of July, or any idea how to get tickets for a flight that will actually happen? ( UK and IST callcenters were very helpful, so instead asking you guys :) )

Flight TK7799 (AnadoluJet) STN-SAW has been flying everyday for the last 2 weeks for as far as I can tell. Have your relatives looked into this flight?

Mystic

Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:56 pm

Any idea why TK is sending a 2nd B777 to Amsterdam today? TK1952 is the regular daily flight. TK6033 is now heading to AMS as well.

emre787

Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:36 pm

Mystic wrote:
Any idea why TK is sending a 2nd B777 to Amsterdam today? TK1952 is the regular daily flight. TK6033 is now heading to AMS as well.

TK6xxx flight numbers are usually Turkish Cargo fligths, so that 77W is only carrying cargo to/from Amsteram :)

fil87

Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:13 pm

After both the EU & the Lufthansa shareholders backed the German government bailout, I would expect TK to switch back to the old onboard service & dining experience very soon. Turkish Airlines was never a first mover: the Lufthansa Group is to increase number of flights significantly within the next weeks and, most importantly in this case, their onboard service was not drastically reduced after Covid-19, unlike Turkish Airlines.

TK787
Topic Author

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:34 pm

Do you guys know what is the deal with the TK's JFK-IST flights?
Supposed to start on July 1st (5 x Weekly), when I try to look for fares, it says, flights don't exist.
So, I tried IAD-IST flight one-way and it is $1700. One way Y.

LLA001

Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:34 pm

767Forever wrote:
LLA001 wrote:
Flight TK7799 (AnadoluJet) STN-SAW has been flying everyday for the last 2 weeks for as far as I can tell. Have your relatives looked into this flight?

Thank you 767Forever, they totally skipped Anadolu Jet and will check that. SAW works much better for them as well.

TK787, I am suprised about LGW- DLM and AYT flights. I have few friends living in UK waiting for direct BJV flights this summer but I wonder if DLM and AYT flights are for repatriation or pure summer vacation flights.

Mystic

Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:09 am

Flew on TK1952 out of AMS yesterday. Schiphol was empty! The only active checking desk was for TK, there were barely other pax other than us. Everyone had to check in their carry-on's to the cargo belly. Backpacks were allowed inside the cabin if they weren't too big. The flight was full, not sure about BC. Hygiene kits were available for everyone. Covid19 announcements were made several times and included on the entertainment system. People who had problem breathing with a mask were handed a face shield instead. During service they gave us a bag with a bottle of water, a juice drink, a cake and sandwich. Everyone was handed a form that we had to sign for any signs of covid, contact information, etc. Before landing we were circling around the black sea, I wonder why that was. Congested traffic or change of wind?

After landing, we had a very short 4 minute taxi to the gate. In the terminal we were met with a thermal screening, also announcements were to mind social distancing. Passport control was quite busy, but people did keep distance and we passed quicky. They asked for the inflight health form. We waited an hour at the baggage pickup. Some of the dutyfree shops were entirely closed. Exit terminal was dead. Nobody was waiting for pick up. Most shops closed.

stylo777

Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:00 pm

fil87 wrote:
After both the EU & the Lufthansa shareholders backed the German government bailout, I would expect TK to switch back to the old onboard service & dining experience very soon. Turkish Airlines was never a first mover: the Lufthansa Group is to increase number of flights significantly within the next weeks and, most importantly in this case, their onboard service was not drastically reduced after Covid-19, unlike Turkish Airlines.

I don't quite get your connection between EU/Germany government support for Lufthansa and the inflight service of Turkish?!?

fil87

Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:30 pm

stylo777 wrote:
fil87 wrote:

I don't quite get your connection between EU/Germany government support for Lufthansa and the inflight service of Turkish?!?

At the moment, Lufthansa has a better onboard product compared to TK, especially in premium classes. We are all aware of the drastic cuts TK has made on their catering & service while Lufthansa decided to keep the same level of service. Many people I know are thinking of switching to Lufthansa and, with a broader network within the next weeks, Lufthansa will represent a real threat to TK at this stage, also considering they are both Star Alliance member.

mercure1

Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:40 pm

fil87 wrote:
At the moment, Lufthansa has a better onboard product compared to TK, especially in premium classes. We are all aware of the drastic cuts TK has made on their catering & service while Lufthansa decided to keep the same level of service. Many people I know are thinking of switching to Lufthansa and, with a broader network within the next weeks, Lufthansa will represent a real threat to TK at this stage, also considering they are both Star Alliance member.

I hardly think LH is much of a threat. They have their own problems to deal with.

Turkey and TK have prudently adopted published ICAO recommended best practices which includes reduced meal/beverage service, reduction in carrying on baggage, hygiene kits, aircraft cleaning, reduced airport services, etc.

These are unique times, and the health and safety employees and customers need to be the priority and kudos to TK for doing all they have.
mercure f-wtcc

stylo777

Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:23 pm

fil87 wrote:
stylo777 wrote:
fil87 wrote:

I strongly believe that you are overestimating this since LH has it's own problems at the moment and didn't even reimplement flights to Turkey yet. In fact, in current situation they probably don't even care about their competitors and instead try to restart as many destinations as possible. And quite honestly, except us a.net'ers who actually would even know that there is a difference in inflight catering and ammenities?!? Majority of people flying nowadays are glad to even find a suitable flight (see London and Amsterdam examples above). If things improve in near future, we can discuss this topic again, but currently airlines are in extreme survival-mode and do whatever they have to do in order to safeguard operational stability, adherence to safety regulations and keeping financial liquitity in balance.

TK787
Topic Author

Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:14 pm

Mystic wrote:
Flew on TK1952 out of AMS yesterday.

Thank you for the brief Trip Report.
Things are very different that 3 months ago, when I last flew.
Like I said earlier, you have to have a very good reason to fly these days.
Today I turned down an immediate job opportunity, where I had to fly to Istanbul this week. Not ready to jump in, yet.
As of now, I have two International flights out of New York for next February and March. Let's see what happens by then.

fil87

Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:21 am

stylo777 wrote:
fil87 wrote:
stylo777 wrote:

I strongly believe that you are overestimating this since LH has it's own problems at the moment and didn't even reimplement flights to Turkey yet. In fact, in current situation they probably don't even care about their competitors and instead try to restart as many destinations as possible. And quite honestly, except us a.net'ers who actually would even know that there is a difference in inflight catering and ammenities?!? Majority of people flying nowadays are glad to even find a suitable flight (see London and Amsterdam examples above). If things improve in near future, we can discuss this topic again, but currently airlines are in extreme survival-mode and do whatever they have to do in order to safeguard operational stability, adherence to safety regulations and keeping financial liquitity in balance.

Do agree with you. But am strongly convinced that airlines (like companies in many other industries) are heavily taking advantage of the situation to cut on costs.

MeCe

Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:45 pm

TK787 wrote:
Do you guys know what is the deal with the TK's JFK-IST flights?
Supposed to start on July 1st (5 x Weekly), when I try to look for fares, it says, flights don't exist.
So, I tried IAD-IST flight one-way and it is $1700. One way Y.

Just 2 more weeks ;)

TK787
Topic Author

Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:11 pm

MeCe wrote:

Just 2 more weeks ;)

Thank you :)
TK changed their front page with a not so easy, interactive map of July flights. I will save you the hassle and give you the latest N. America dates:
-JFK 3 x W July10
-YUL 3 x W July15
-YYZ 4 x W July1
-IAH 3 x W July26
-SFO 3 x W July15

TK787
Topic Author

Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:38 pm

Please continue here: Turkish Aviation July 2020
Moderators, could you please archive this thread, since I've started a new one. Thank you.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos