Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VTORD

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - June 2020

Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:28 pm

trinidadeG wrote:

Anyway, I came across an article on the topic. Apart from looking into the allegations made in the video, it also addresses the HR point of view regarding employees sharing workplace details on social media.

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/busin ... 10161.html

Classic case of SM vigilante culture. I am sure there are 3 sides to this story: His side, Their side and the Truth so I will refrain from taking sides.

I am personally don't follow either his YT or Twitter channels but what I saw was trolls started building this massive "vigilante" safety campaign and unfortunately THAT was what it took for DGCA to act on it. The worst was that people who couldn't tell where a ruddy flap was located on an aircraft started trolling Air Asia for Flaps 3 landing!! I mean c'mon, if I knew what flaps setting the pilot used every single time a plane I was on landed, I'd be in the wrong profession. I am not sure what Air Asia does in it's SOPs or what other airlines do or don't, but I wonder if he's making himself unemployable by outing his employer like this.

VTORD

Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:29 pm

In other news, looks like Dreamliner #2 will be on it's way shortly:
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/bus ... TOIDesktop

maint123

Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:57 pm

VTORD wrote:
trinidadeG wrote:

Anyway, I came across an article on the topic. Apart from looking into the allegations made in the video, it also addresses the HR point of view regarding employees sharing workplace details on social media.

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/busin ... 10161.html

Classic case of SM vigilante culture. I am sure there are 3 sides to this story: His side, Their side and the Truth so I will refrain from taking sides.

I am personally don't follow either his YT or Twitter channels but what I saw was trolls started building this massive "vigilante" safety campaign and unfortunately THAT was what it took for DGCA to act on it. The worst was that people who couldn't tell where a ruddy flap was located on an aircraft started trolling Air Asia for Flaps 3 landing!! I mean c'mon, if I knew what flaps setting the pilot used every single time a plane I was on landed, I'd be in the wrong profession. I am not sure what Air Asia does in it's SOPs or what other airlines do or don't, but I wonder if he's making himself unemployable by outing his employer like this.

Certain immaturity in his working and method of raising safety issues.
Lets be clear, rocking the boat is totally frowned upon anywhere in the corporate or government world. He has been in this airline for less than 1 year and is obviously unhappy with their work culture.
Expecting a work life balance in a pvt concern , that also in India is never going to happen. Probably this led to his dissatisfaction.
On the flip side, he was in indigo for a decade and never complained about their culture.
Personally i feel , never a bad idea fir dgca to take a serious look into safety issues , even if due to personal misfit issues of a single employee.

unnayan

Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:18 am

US limits repatriation flight from AI. Yo be honest I was wondering with the amount of flights now in Vande Bharat.. this seemed anti competitive

https://indianexpress.com/article/coron ... s-6471900/

dtw2hyd

Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:54 pm

India shouldn't have turned repatriation flights in to commercial operation. I thought ex-India bookings were based on requests from respective destination countries. Apparently not. Hope India and US resolve this issue as more repatriation flights may be need with the latest work visa executive order.
All posts are just opinions.

hohd

Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:59 pm

https://travelobiz.com/airasia-may-even ... jv-report/

There is a report that Air Asia India may exit India. The report says at present they are not looking to add any planes. I think they will try to sell their share if they are not successful in getting approval to start international flights.

FligtReporter

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:54 am

Can anyone here clarify if IndiGo A321Neos are LR or just normal 321Neos and wether all 321Neos are LR or LR is a different version of 321Neos cause when I see indiGo 321Neos on FR24 it says 321NX so whats this NX ? is this new type of 321neo

unnayan

Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:43 am

FligtReporter wrote:
Can anyone here clarify if IndiGo A321Neos are LR or just normal 321Neos and wether all 321Neos are LR or LR is a different version of 321Neos cause when I see indiGo 321Neos on FR24 it says 321NX so whats this NX ? is this new type of 321neo

No these are not LR. Below should help for NX designation

viewtopic.php?t=1388129

VTORD

Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:28 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
India shouldn't have turned repatriation flights in to commercial operation. I thought ex-India bookings were based on requests from respective destination countries. Apparently not. Hope India and US resolve this issue as more repatriation flights may be need with the latest work visa executive order.

With all the different visa expiry dates and slowed down USCIS processes, it's gonna be a mess!! Keep in mind, people currently in the US won't be affected unless and until there is a denial of extension. They are eligible for extensions per the EO.

unnayan wrote:
US limits repatriation flight from AI. Yo be honest I was wondering with the amount of flights now in Vande Bharat.. this seemed anti competitive

https://indianexpress.com/article/coron ... s-6471900/

I am sure the H'nble MoCA tomtomming on Twitter didn't help the cause...the dude was practically tweeting minute-by-minute update on the whole thing.

airhansa

Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:29 pm

hohd wrote:
https://travelobiz.com/airasia-may-eventually-exit-india-jv-report/

There is a report that Air Asia India may exit India. The report says at present they are not looking to add any planes. I think they will try to sell their share if they are not successful in getting approval to start international flights.

I'm surprised they didn't build their network from Chennai.

CPS001

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:12 pm

airhansa wrote:
hohd wrote:

They had a fallout with AAI Chennai before they launched ops, otherwise their initial plan was to hub at MAA (subsequently moved to BLR). In the 6 months prior to Covid, they had significantly increased their MAA presence, perhaps in the lead up to international ops from MAA (both AirAsia Malaysia and Thai AirAsia had MAA as their first Indian station) given the "safe" options of MAA-KUL/SIN are among the busiest international routes in the country.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:44 pm

CPS001 wrote:
airhansa wrote:
hohd wrote:

They had a fallout with AAI Chennai before they launched ops, otherwise their initial plan was to hub at MAA (subsequently moved to BLR). In the 6 months prior to Covid, they had significantly increased their MAA presence, perhaps in the lead up to international ops from MAA (both AirAsia Malaysia and Thai AirAsia had MAA as their first Indian station) given the "safe" options of MAA-KUL/SIN are among the busiest international routes in the country.

I remember Tony Fernandes very openly talking about Chennai as the base then the subsequent AAI fallout.

FligtReporter

Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:49 pm

unnayan wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:

No these are not LR. Below should help for NX designation

viewtopic.php?t=1388129

Oh Okiez..thanka for the response :)

dtw2hyd

Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:45 pm

If AAI(airline) fails, BLR would keep the record of being base for most defunct AOCs in India. Kingfisher, Deccan 360,Simplify Deccan, Kingfisher Red?? and Air Pegasus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... s_of_India
All posts are just opinions.

unnayan

Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:15 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
If AAI(airline) fails, BLR would keep the record of being base for most defunct AOCs in India. Kingfisher, Deccan 360,Simplify Deccan, Kingfisher Red?? and Air Pegasus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... s_of_India

Very interesting observation...

sand26391

Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:20 pm

Do ppl still care abt these useless observations? oh wait, its dtw2hyd guy... yeah makes absolute sense now.

sand26391

Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:30 pm

CPS001 wrote:
airhansa wrote:
hohd wrote:

Not completely true abt the Intl ops by I5. They had planned BLR/CCU-SIN/KUL and integrate it with their hub at BLR(which is stiil their biggest hub by pax carried) for connections. They actually did have plans to increase presence at MAA and build up by the end of 2020 and launch Intl ops As far as I hear.

On a different issue i.e AirAsia India....I think I5 is at a dire situation right now. Not sure whats going to happen, I saw the YT video abt an ex-pilot and the I5. Apparently some huge safety issue by the airline(?), apparently DGCA sent the airline a notice regarding this. Something fishy going on thats for sure in the airline IMHO. Had a few friends leave the airline due to poor mgmt in the past 18 months, I just hope they dont turn up like 9W. I actually miss 9W as a whole, but i honestly dont think AirAsia will "Die" or "shut down" like 9W. But for sure it is an interesting turn of events and will be watching closely on the I5 issue.

maint123

Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:57 am

https://m.timesofindia.com/business/ind ... 676602.cms

"Safety concern: DGCA issues show cause to AirAsia India
Saurabh Sinha | TNN | Updated: Jun 28, 2020, 21:15 IST
NEW DELHI: AirAsia India is under regulator probe for alleged violation of safety practices. The Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) has issued show cause notice to the JV airline’s head of flight operations and safety. The violations are learnt to be related to pilot fatigue and a landing technique of questionably using flaps in a way to save fuel."

DGCA taking action , a learning experience for FAA
All without the president getting involved.

airhansa

Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:44 am

^ I read that the latter part about flaps isn't a major problem though it isn't standard in India. The former might be a new issue that's just been raised.

anshabhi

Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:22 am

maint123 wrote:
https://m.timesofindia.com/business/india-business/safety-concern-dgca-issues-show-cause-to-airasia-india/amp_articleshow/76676602.cms

"Safety concern: DGCA issues show cause to AirAsia India
Saurabh Sinha | TNN | Updated: Jun 28, 2020, 21:15 IST
NEW DELHI: AirAsia India is under regulator probe for alleged violation of safety practices. The Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) has issued show cause notice to the JV airline’s head of flight operations and safety. The violations are learnt to be related to pilot fatigue and a landing technique of questionably using flaps in a way to save fuel."

DGCA taking action , a learning experience for FAA
All without the president getting involved.

Big win and vindication for Gaurav Taneja.

trinidadeG

Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:36 pm

sand26391 wrote:
CPS001 wrote:
airhansa wrote:

Not completely true abt the Intl ops by I5. They had planned BLR/CCU-SIN/KUL and integrate it with their hub at BLR(which is stiil their biggest hub by pax carried) for connections.

Yes, BLR will forever be AirAsia India's biggest hub. but because BIAL wanted it that way. :) The airline is bound by a contract to base 50% of its fleet at BLR!!

In 2014, the operators of BLR offered a 50% discount on landing and housing charges and waived night parking fees, provided the airline made BLR their 'Home airport'.

Bangalore airport grants indirect sops to AirAsia India

airhansa

Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:19 pm

What would be the chances of a situation where AirAsia bought Air India, with airline base in Chennai, turning into a major low cost airline? For TATA it would remove a major competitor. I'm skeptical that it would fail due to the baggage of firing former staff and media circus etc...

Maavomm

Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:55 pm

airhansa wrote:
What would be the chances of a situation where AirAsia bought Air India, with airline base in Chennai, turning into a major low cost airline? For TATA it would remove a major competitor. I'm skeptical that it would fail due to the baggage of firing former staff and media circus etc...

An LCC based in MAA would not work, as terminals are at capacity and the sluggish pace of new terminal development wouldn't help. The positioning of the runways are also not feasible for simultaneous operation. Moreover, MAA would be a suitable connecting hub only for budget passengers travelling from North India/Arab Countries to SE Asia and not otherwise. Similar story for BLR but they have a new(er) airport with capability to expand. IndiGo and SpiceJet basically cover most domestic/short international flights from Chennai. However, the A321XLR could bring new and thin potential markets to MAA, such as Perth, and Manila(?), probably 3x or 5x weekly(Post-recovery). AI does not operate these routes, so airlines would be incentivized to capture the market sooner than later.

CPS001

Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:31 pm

^^ MAA-ICN on the A321xlr (if possible) or a future A220xlr would be a game changer.

airhansa

Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:21 pm

Maavomm wrote:
airhansa wrote:

An LCC based in MAA would not work, as terminals are at capacity and the sluggish pace of new terminal development wouldn't help. The positioning of the runways are also not feasible for simultaneous operation. Moreover, MAA would be a suitable connecting hub only for budget passengers travelling from North India/Arab Countries to SE Asia and not otherwise. Similar story for BLR but they have a new(er) airport with capability to expand. IndiGo and SpiceJet basically cover most domestic/short international flights from Chennai. However, the A321XLR could bring new and thin potential markets to MAA, such as Perth, and Manila(?), probably 3x or 5x weekly(Post-recovery). AI does not operate these routes, so airlines would be incentivized to capture the market sooner than later.

I was thinking more about ferrying passengers between SEA and Tamil Nadu. It's also close to Kerala which doesn't have a core airport but has a large amount of PAX flying to the ME.

Maavomm

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:19 am

airhansa wrote:
Maavomm wrote:
airhansa wrote:

I was thinking more about ferrying passengers between SEA and Tamil Nadu. It's also close to Kerala which doesn't have a core airport but has a large amount of PAX flying to the ME.

Agreed with the first point. But saying that Chennai is close to Kerala is not true. Geographically Kerala is closer to the Gulf than Chennai is.

CPS001 wrote:
^^ MAA-ICN on the A321xlr (if possible) or a future A220xlr would be a game changer.

Considering the large Korean diaspora in Chennai, I'm surprised that neither Korean Air nor Asiana has a service to MAA yet. Would be stoked to see a direct MAA-ICN service soon.

airhansa

Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:50 am

Maavomm wrote:
airhansa wrote:
Maavomm wrote:

Agreed with the first point. But saying that Chennai is close to Kerala is not true. Geographically Kerala is closer to the Gulf than Chennai is.

CPS001 wrote:

Considering the large Korean diaspora in Chennai, I'm surprised that neither Korean Air nor Asiana has a service to MAA yet. Would be stoked to see a direct MAA-ICN service soon.

What I meant was that there's no "hub" airport in Kerala in the same manner that MAA is. So the nearest are either Chennai or Bengaluru, but the former just "feels" more closer to Kerala than the latter.

hohd

Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:42 pm

BLR is closer to Kerala than MAA. BLR traffic potential is higher than MAA and if Air Asia remains in India, it will continue with BLR. But that remains in doubt, Tata would be well advised to choose Vistara over Air Asia and sell their share to some one (i.e. if any one wants to buy it).

SQ22
Topic Author

Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:22 pm

Please continue your discussion and to add your comments here:

Indian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Thread will be locked.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos