Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sprite86
Topic Author

JET2 - what next ?

Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:14 pm

With the news today that Dart group the owner of JET2 and JET2 Holidays has sold its logistic arm Fowler Welch for £98 million Dart group says it will now focus solely on its airline and holiday company.

Now with a focus solely on its airline and holiday company and a strong balance sheet Once normality from the virus returns what do you think will be JET2’s next move ?

Long haul from Manchester seems like low hanging fruit with routes like Orlando and mexico and Dominican Republic underserved since the demise of Thomas Cook
Will they start Egypt flights to the Red Sea resorts ? There was talk of this happening in 2021
Will they pick up slots from other carriers at Gatwick ?

https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles ... istics-arm

marcogr12

Re: JET2 - what next ?

Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:56 pm

Jet2 has a very good and reputation, so a network from LGW would be possible if they get the slots with BA reducing..But do they want to, to expand to the 2nd biggest London airport and catch a share of the southwest area? I dont think they fear competition, going against EZY,after going against FR at STN and U2/FR at MAN
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..

by738

Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:55 pm

Long haul has been the failure of many... I still suggest they stick to what they know and apparently do well. Im not sure Florida and Caribbean are necessarily low hanging guarantees... (or ever have been)

jmc757

Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:10 pm

Jet2 have got to where they got today by expanding in a measured manner, when the time was right, and not over stretching themselves. I expect they will carry on in the same way when we begin to come out of the Covid crisis. Personally I think leaping into long haul or London Gatwick will not be at the forefront of their plans. UK leisure cariiers make most of their cash in the summer, which helps them through the lean winter period. Summer 2020 is a write off, so I can't see any massive expansion for 2021 or even 2022.

mandyhaslott

Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:24 pm

Does anyone know how they're doing in the current climate? Furloughed staff? Redundancies? Jet2 have been the only silent UK airline in all of this. It would be interesting to hear what's going on there.

OMAAbound

Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:12 pm

There was rumours before all of the current C19 pandemic, that some long haul flights were planned for 2021 onwards with 5 A333’s were rumoured to be arriving.

The usual holiday destinations were spoken of in the Caribbean & Florida from 3 UK airports.

As with most decisions made by Jet2, I’d imagine a lot of time and thought went into them. They’ve most likely been put on the top shelf at the very back, given the current situation.

OMAA

CWL757

Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:27 pm

I think in the distant future they will open a base in either BRS or CWL. Its probably the biggest gap in their UK network with the nearest base being BHX. BRS is already at near full capacity and LS tend to base more aircraft per base so I'd imagine CWL may be better choice as they will only be competing with TUI and VY/FR to a lesser extent. CWL will really struggle with the loss of BE/MT so I'd imagine some incentives may be offered. As for long haul I'd imagine it would mainly be from MAN,BHX and STN. I could see MCO/SFB doing well (Maybe SFB would try to get them now that BY is moving to MLB) and maybe seasonal BGI/MBJ flights to start.
A319, A320, 738, 743, 744, 752, 772, 788, C150, E175, E190, F70, R22

Boeing74741R

Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:16 am

by738 wrote:
Long haul has been the failure of many... I still suggest they stick to what they know and apparently do well. Im not sure Florida and Caribbean are necessarily low hanging guarantees... (or ever have been)

I think there's room for another player to these markets from the regions now Thomas Cook is no more. Taking Florida for instance, outside London your only options are TUI and Virgin Atlantic and I remember the mid-2000's for instance when VS and the various charter airlines that were around all had numerous flights to MCO/SFB. Take this year aside, the appetite for Florida holidays is still there. From a pricing perspective, Thomas Cook and also the Travel City Direct brand being retired by Virgin Holidays has left a gap at the lower end of the Florida market.

I'm in two minds though whether Jet2 should fill the gap here or not. As you and others have said, they've done really well doing what they've been doing and history is littered with airlines that stretched into long-haul and ultimately failed. The only long-haul route that works for them is EWR, but that's on a small scale in November/December.

All that said, haven't we been here before? Didn't Jet2 look at acquiring a 767 for Florida services many years ago or did I dream that?

Still, if their history is anything to go by I'd like to think any expansion into the long-haul market would have been thought through.

JannEejit

Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:44 am

OMAAbound wrote:

The usual holiday destinations were spoken of in the Caribbean & Florida from 3 UK airports.

As with most decisions made by Jet2, I’d imagine a lot of time and thought went into them. They’ve most likely been put on the top shelf at the very back, given the current situation.

OMAA

Which three UK airports where they ? I presume MAN to be one of them ?

DobboDobbo

Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:10 am

Boeing74741R wrote:
by738 wrote:

I think there's room for another player to these markets from the regions now Thomas Cook is no more. Taking Florida for instance, outside London your only options are TUI and Virgin Atlantic and I remember the mid-2000's for instance when VS and the various charter airlines that were around all had numerous flights to MCO/SFB. Take this year aside, the appetite for Florida holidays is still there. From a pricing perspective, Thomas Cook and also the Travel City Direct brand being retired by Virgin Holidays has left a gap at the lower end of the Florida market.

I'm in two minds though whether Jet2 should fill the gap here or not. As you and others have said, they've done really well doing what they've been doing and history is littered with airlines that stretched into long-haul and ultimately failed. The only long-haul route that works for them is EWR, but that's on a small scale in November/December.

All that said, haven't we been here before? Didn't Jet2 look at acquiring a 767 for Florida services many years ago or did I dream that?

Still, if their history is anything to go by I'd like to think any expansion into the long-haul market would have been thought through.

It is possible there is room for another long haul regional player in time, it’ll depend primarily on whether both of VS and TUi survive and if so how quickly they can (if they wish to do so) expand for meet any latent demand and where they base themselves from.

For example, if VS are unable to return to LGW for any reason and are unable to expand at LHR you would imagine this gives them a platform to focus any expansion at MAN in particular but also undertaking more flying from GLA and BFS. That might make it harder for Jet2 or anyone else to move into this part of the market, and they might prefer to purchase capacity for their holiday business.

However, if VS fails there is a significant gap for a new entrant assuming the market recovers to anywhere close to where it was before.

OA260

Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:18 am

by738 wrote:

Agreed Id hate to see Jet2 try it and fail. Of course they have done set dates for trips to NYC etc but there would need to be a very strong business case for them to expand into that market. Jet2 have been praised by many during this crisis of how they have responded so there is a lot of good will towards them.

caaardiff

Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:45 am

If Jet2 were to look in to Long Haul, they would need to introduce a new type to the fleet whether purchased or lease, set up all kinds of operations on the ground, move in to a market that they don't really know and then would need to find use for those aircraft out of season, which would mean some kind of Caribbean operation, expanding the NY trips or only having the aircraft for summer season on short term lease, adding to costs. I'm sure IF VS went under, which is now looking unlikely, things would be different, but for now, especially with COVID 19 affecting demand, it doesn't seem worth making the risk.
Jet2 know short haul, it's what they are good at and have proven if done properly they can make it work. The demise of Thomas Cook left a huge void that the likes of Jet2 and TUI were looking to fill, both desperately trying to bring new aircraft in to provide the capacity needed. Now the need of those aircraft has been wiped out and it's likely going to take a couple of years for that demand to return. With much weaker demand and even Airlines going under, there will likely be more used aircraft on the market, so the ideal opportunity for Jet2 to continue updating the fleet. They still have 9x 733's and 11x 757s in the fleet. The sensible option would be retire these over the next few months and dependant on demand, start looking at some more used 738's ready for Summer 2021, or even 2022.

CWL757 wrote:
I think in the distant future they will open a base in either BRS or CWL. Its probably the biggest gap in their UK network with the nearest base being BHX. BRS is already at near full capacity and LS tend to base more aircraft per base so I'd imagine CWL may be better choice as they will only be competing with TUI and VY/FR to a lesser extent. CWL will really struggle with the loss of BE/MT so I'd imagine some incentives may be offered. As for long haul I'd imagine it would mainly be from MAN,BHX and STN. I could see MCO/SFB doing well (Maybe SFB would try to get them now that BY is moving to MLB) and maybe seasonal BGI/MBJ flights to start.

Things have changed in the Southwest & Wales now. Whilst TUI have moderately filled the gap left from TCX, as have EZY at BRS, it's likely EZY will be reducing their offering at BRS. No signs yet of what TUI will be doing at CWL and BRS. BRS was going to be full when TCX were around, but there's still some slack been created. If EZY do reduce then there's plenty of capacity for Jet2 to turn up at BRS. Prior to TCX and COVID19 it was often said that BRS was full with regards to stand capacity and it's night slot quota, something that would restrict Jet2 from wanting to base as they would want to base at least a couple of aircraft at first then expand on that. With a reduction of flying Jet2 could jump in now and take up those available stands and night slots, but would be a risk if the demand is still weak. If they wait, they may not get what they want. BRS is by far the stronger Airport for the Southwest and South Wales market, but CWL has the spare capacity.

OMAAbound

Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:48 am

JannEejit wrote:
OMAAbound wrote:

OMAA

It never got mentioned in conversation, but, if I had to take a wild guess, MAN would be a certainty, STN as well I think and then perhaps GLA. That way they’ve got a vast majority of the U.K. covered apart from the South West, but Jet2 haven’t really entered the South West market which has been mentioned earlier.

OMAA

seahawk

Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:48 am

The main goal will be to get the business volume back to 2019 levels in the next years.

jomur

Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:06 pm

caaardiff wrote:
If Jet2 were to look in to Long Haul, they would need to introduce a new type to the fleet whether purchased or lease, set up all kinds of operations on the ground, move in to a market that they don't really know and then would need to find use for those aircraft out of season, which would mean some kind of Caribbean operation, expanding the NY trips or only having the aircraft for summer season on short term lease, adding to costs. I'm sure IF VS went under, which is now looking unlikely, things would be different, but for now, especially with COVID 19 affecting demand, it doesn't seem worth making the risk.
Jet2 know short haul, it's what they are good at and have proven if done properly they can make it work. The demise of Thomas Cook left a huge void that the likes of Jet2 and TUI were looking to fill, both desperately trying to bring new aircraft in to provide the capacity needed. Now the need of those aircraft has been wiped out and it's likely going to take a couple of years for that demand to return. With much weaker demand and even Airlines going under, there will likely be more used aircraft on the market, so the ideal opportunity for Jet2 to continue updating the fleet. They still have 9x 733's and 11x 757s in the fleet. The sensible option would be retire these over the next few months and dependant on demand, start looking at some more used 738's ready for Summer 2021, or even 2022.

CWL757 wrote:

Things have changed in the Southwest & Wales now. Whilst TUI have moderately filled the gap left from TCX, as have EZY at BRS, it's likely EZY will be reducing their offering at BRS. No signs yet of what TUI will be doing at CWL and BRS. BRS was going to be full when TCX were around, but there's still some slack been created. If EZY do reduce then there's plenty of capacity for Jet2 to turn up at BRS. Prior to TCX and COVID19 it was often said that BRS was full with regards to stand capacity and it's night slot quota, something that would restrict Jet2 from wanting to base as they would want to base at least a couple of aircraft at first then expand on that. With a reduction of flying Jet2 could jump in now and take up those available stands and night slots, but would be a risk if the demand is still weak. If they wait, they may not get what they want. BRS is by far the stronger Airport for the Southwest and South Wales market, but CWL has the spare capacity.

As Jet2 has experience of operating the A330 it won't be that much to bring back again.

As to redundancies nothing planned but they cannot rule any out in the future.

JannEejit

Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:09 pm

OMAAbound wrote:
JannEejit wrote:
OMAAbound wrote:

OMAA

It never got mentioned in conversation, but, if I had to take a wild guess, MAN would be a certainty, STN as well I think and then perhaps GLA. That way they’ve got a vast majority of the U.K. covered apart from the South West, but Jet2 haven’t really entered the South West market which has been mentioned earlier.

OMAA

Thanks, GLA makes sense, there had already been some discussion locally about introducing the A330 and with TCX gone and who knows how much Virgin will do pax wise without the 747, there's certainly a gap now for Orlando customers.

B757236GT

Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:44 pm

Bristol is my local airport and i have to say now there are around 12 free stands each night as both BMI and TCX have gone and they have recently introduced some new stands where the old terminal was so Bristol now has the capacity to serve Jet2 if they were to rock up. Having said that i cant see Easyjet being too happy as it has become very much a fortress for team orange of late that i cant see much if any long term pruning of routes going forward from them. Ryanair on the other hand i could see doing some route/schedule reductions as it has been very noticeable over the last few years how their operations have reduced to the extent i think they only have 3-4 based aircraft compared to Easyjets 18.
It depends whether Jet2 feel there is much to be gained from Bristol in their future plans, from what i understand speaking to airport ops employees nothing formal has been said however that doesn't mean things arent going on in the background. The other small curve ball is Birmingham. Now depending upon where you live in the Bristol area it can take an hour to get across Bristol to the airport whereas you can get to Birmingham in an hour and a half, is that too close for them to want to mount a charge? I suppose it depends upon whether they want to use Delboys mantra of "He who dares, wins!" as there are certainly opportunities for the taking at Bristol at the moment and i would love to see them here but if i were a betting man i think i would probably lose quite alot.

In terms of the fleet i think the 733s days are numbered. I dont believe they were due to go past this season anyway so i suspect may get pensioned off early but i have a feeling some may end up as 733Fs rather than coke cans. The same can be said for the 757s. While they have spent alot of money on them and i would dearly love to see them at Bristol they arent youngsters anymore and possibly by the time they become useful again for the capacity requirements they may be life expired. I wonder if it might be better to use this as an oppoortunity to expand the A321 fleet and B738 fleets and standardise on those two narrowbody subfleets. The only problem with getting rid of the 757s and the one feather in their cap is they are pretty much valueless now (with all the ex USA ones being parked so plenty of freighter feedstock) so maybe it might make sense to get a few more years out of them where they can. I suppose it all comes down to the maths.

Of course i could be completely wrong.......

IrishLessor

Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:24 pm

There is huge logic in Jet2 consolidating their position at existing airports. There is also a case for Orlando and potentially Las Vegas. STN is an ideal airport and this could be a huge challenge for Virgin if it happened..

aemoreira1981

Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:01 pm

jomur wrote:
caaardiff wrote:

CWL757 wrote:

As Jet2 has experience of operating the A330 it won't be that much to bring back again.

As to redundancies nothing planned but they cannot rule any out in the future.

Not under their own AOC. Those were damp-leased from AirTanker.

LS also has eight remaining B733s in the fleet. With at least 6 A321s set to be inducted, I expect that their days are numbered. As for the B752s, 7 of the 9 are 30 years or older...2 (both ex-TZ) are about 24 years old, but I can't see them remaining in a subfleet of just 2 in a fleet of about 81 planes (with the B733s and B752s eliminated). Instead, I see the B752 pilots transitioned to the A321, and shopping trips to EWR would add a fuel stop at BGR or YYR.

marcogr12

Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:45 pm

Could Jet2 replace their old 752s with..newer ones that could be in the market? Newer in the sense that they have some 10yrs left in them? American retired them all..Were they really 30yrs old all of them or could they have some used ones in good condition? On the other hand if Jet2 wants to go ahead with TATL, even the occasional EWR trip, a non-stop option would be the 321LR..Like the ones Primera would use..

jmc757

Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:06 pm

marcogr12 wrote:
Could Jet2 replace their old 752s with..newer ones that could be in the market? Newer in the sense that they have some 10yrs left in them? American retired them all..Were they really 30yrs old all of them or could they have some used ones in good condition? On the other hand if Jet2 wants to go ahead with TATL, even the occasional EWR trip, a non-stop option would be the 321LR..Like the ones Primera would use..

I would expect not. Last year after Thomas Cook failed, Jet2 quite rightly looked to expand quickly into the void. They couldn't expand quickly with used B738s, due to the MAX situation decent frames just weren't available. So they went with A321s. Even with the set-up costs for a new type, it made sense. Aircraft were available, as were crew and engineering (ex-TCX). For Jet2 the A321 could do nearly everything the 757 can, and fills that gap of a larger frame over the 738. These days, decent used 757s are going to freight, it's a great aircraft but it's pax hauling days are rapidly coming to an end.

Boeing74741R

Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:22 am

jmc757 wrote:
marcogr12 wrote:

I would expect not. Last year after Thomas Cook failed, Jet2 quite rightly looked to expand quickly into the void. They couldn't expand quickly with used B738s, due to the MAX situation decent frames just weren't available. So they went with A321s. Even with the set-up costs for a new type, it made sense. Aircraft were available, as were crew and engineering (ex-TCX). For Jet2 the A321 could do nearly everything the 757 can, and fills that gap of a larger frame over the 738. These days, decent used 757s are going to freight, it's a great aircraft but it's pax hauling days are rapidly coming to an end.

Additionally, they haven't acquired additional 757's for the last 8 years. Until they made the decision last year to acquire A321's, aircraft acquisitions over the last few years have been a mix of new and used 737-800's and they've shown no interest in replacing 737-300 capacity like-for-like with -700's - or A319's for that matter - so it's clear their growth moving forward will revolve around aircraft other than 757's and the 737-800 will form the backbone of the fleet for a very long time.

The 757 is a great plane and I will miss them when they finally go, but for most things Jet2 use the 757 for the A321 can do the same job for less fuel and likely to be more plentiful on the second-hand market in the future. They did really well to acquire the ex-Thomas Cook ones that are all under 7 years old, so they could theoretically get 15-20 years use out of them.

Does anybody have any rough figures on fuel consumption for a typical Jet2 757 duty compared to an A321?

ranbidaraxflo

Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:57 am

Don't go Long haul!!!!! Other than the winter NYC breaks stick to what they do best short haul. Long haul just haemorrhages cash!

Nickd92

Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:55 am

OMAAbound wrote:
There was rumours before all of the current C19 pandemic, that some long haul flights were planned for 2021 onwards with 5 A333’s were rumoured to be arriving.

OMAA

Rumours with no truth. The airline has put 2021 on sale and had begun this process before Coronavirus had taken over the world, at the point of putting in sale it was big in the east and very little known about in Europe. I can't even see them operating 5 A333's for short haul myself. The 3 they were going to have for Summer 2020 was to operate into TFS, ACE, PMI, ALC, FAO, AYT & DLM.

Where would they get the 5 A333's from? 5 A330-300's is a quite a bit of capacity with no proven history that it works. 5 A330-300's to displace 5 A330-200's after experience of operating long haul i get. But not when you're new to the game. Jet2 wont, imo, go long haul for another few years, if not at all in this decade. I see them in 2030's going into long haul but focussing on short haul for the remainder of this decade. There is still a lot that can be done. Another UK base, More destinations - Italy seems an obvious one which they don't operate into yet, build on the new destinations they were due to launch this summer - Greece (PVK, MJT, JSI, JMK, JTR, KLX), ZAD, TIV, LIS, INN for Summer, back to Egypt hopefully, acquisition of A321 and eventual replacement of the B757. Growth of other UK bases.

AirBourne

Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:13 pm

Nickd92 wrote:
OMAAbound wrote:

OMAA
Italy seems an obvious one which they don't operate into yet.

Jet2 fly to Rome, Venice, Pisa, Naples, Verona and Turin. There are a few more places they could go in the future though - Scilly, Sardinia, Bergamo and Lamezia Terme all spring to mind.

Nickd92

Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:17 pm

AirBourne wrote:
Nickd92 wrote:
OMAAbound wrote:

OMAA
Italy seems an obvious one which they don't operate into yet.

Jet2 fly to Rome, Venice, Pisa, Naples, Verona and Turin. There are a few more places they could go in the future though - Scilly, Sardinia, Bergamo and Lamezia Terme all spring to mind.

I saw my error after i could edit. They do fly to Italy but there is much more to do. That is what i was meant to say. More holiday destinations which are niche - exactly what Jet2 are starting to do with Greece now.

TheWorm123

Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:15 pm

EasyJet have announced 727 pilot job cuts and the closure of bases at Newcastle, Southend and Stanstead. Any opportunity for Jet2 expansion maybe post-COVID?
B752 B753 A332 A321 B738

OA260

Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:33 pm

I think it will be a while before they think about any expansion even if others close bases. Demand just is not there and Jet2 are starting to cancel flights and reduce schedules for Aug and Sept. with more to come it seems.

TheWorm123

Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:30 pm

OA260 wrote:
I think it will be a while before they think about any expansion even if others close bases. Demand just is not there and Jet2 are starting to cancel flights and reduce schedules for Aug and Sept. with more to come it seems.

That’s a good point, my Jet2 flight to TFS on the 17th hasn’t been cancelled so I’m one of the lucky ones, I think they’ve merged cancelled flights onto mine as Jet2 have confirmed we’re definitely flying that day.
B752 B753 A332 A321 B738

danipawa

Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:03 pm

Boeing 737 -33A 25743 2206 G-GDFB Jet2 ferried 26jun20 LBA-QLA, for part-out & scrap ex SX-BBU

B757236GT

Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:43 pm

danipawa wrote:
Boeing 737 -33A 25743 2206 G-GDFB Jet2 ferried 26jun20 LBA-QLA, for part-out & scrap ex SX-BBU

Thats an interesting development. Do they do much in the way of parting out at Lasham as so far i think most have ended up at Kemble although from a local news report the other night it seems Kemble is now full and cannot accept anymore arrivals. I'm also aware that they do alot of maintenance for Jet2 at Lasham as i believe their aircraft have routed through there quite often (i'm not sure if one of their 757s is still there at this present time). Saying that GDFB is the oldest by at least 6 years of those left. The others are all late build 733s of which they would have 7 left. Also is there any word on their 757 fleet and its status?

CarbonFibre

Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:21 pm

A few aircraft have been scrapped at QLA over the years. The most recent being a former FedEx 727.

https://flic.kr/p/2hE6F6N

Maintenance is their thing though.

B757236GT

Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:20 am

CarbonFibre wrote:
A few aircraft have been scrapped at QLA over the years. The most recent being a former FedEx 727.

Thanks for that, i know most Jet2 ones ended up at Kemble so was surprised to see Lasham mentioned. It will be interesting to see when their remaining 733s leave the fleet where they end up as in a normal situation i would expect them to have good life left as package freighters. At the moment who knows!! Also Ive been looking for info on the A321s and different sites say different things. Some suggest 3 have been delivered, others only 1. Anyone got any hard gen on those?

Thanks

TheWorm123

Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:34 pm

B757236GT wrote:
CarbonFibre wrote:

Thanks for that, i know most Jet2 ones ended up at Kemble so was surprised to see Lasham mentioned. It will be interesting to see when their remaining 733s leave the fleet where they end up as in a normal situation i would expect them to have good life left as package freighters. At the moment who knows!! Also Ive been looking for info on the A321s and different sites say different things. Some suggest 3 have been delivered, others only 1. Anyone got any hard gen on those?

Thanks

None seem to be in use yet looks like all of Jet2’s flights are 737-800’s as of now, shame I was hoping to catch the A321.
B752 B753 A332 A321 B738

marcogr12

Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:59 am

Do we know, when Jet2 restarts flights where the 757 will be used mostly? Canaries? LCA?Croatia So far i see only 738s on the seat-plans

sdbelgium

Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:12 am

B757s only come into the picture end of August, on selected routes from MAN (mainly PMI,IBZ and FAO). Once a week on the Monday MAN-CFU as well.

sdbelgium

Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:16 am

TheWorm123 wrote:
None seem to be in use yet looks like all of Jet2’s flights are 737-800’s as of now, shame I was hoping to catch the A321.

One A321 will be operating out of MAN initially (starting on 15JUL20 when the flights resume), mainly on Spanish routes - ALC morning, TFS afternoon rotation seem to happen fairly often and the occasional PMI in between.

B757236GT

Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:48 pm

I notice that G-LSAH is now also allocated for scrap with LSAI mooted to follow. That leaves 7 as far as i can see it. Of those AA,AB and AE are past their 32nd birthdays and AJ past its 30th. It will indeed be interesting to see how the late summer/early autumn period works. Word on the remaining a321s seems to be very quiet at the moment which makes me wonder Jet2 are still considering what to do next.

bennett123

Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:58 pm

B757 G-LSAH (arrived Kemble 09/06/2020)

B757236GT

Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:36 pm

bennett123 wrote:
B757 G-LSAH (arrived Kemble 09/06/2020)

Didn't think it looked right when i checked earlier but i couldnt put my finger on it. I think I'm one aircraft disposal behind where i should be as I thought that was LSAD but now the numbers make sense if it was LSAH. Was it really a month ago!!

bennett123

Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:47 pm

They have G-LSAD, G-LSAG and now G-LSAH.

a350lover

Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:47 pm

They had a cabin crew base in Alicante, which I assume is all vanished now?

TheWorm123

Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:28 pm

sdbelgium wrote:
TheWorm123 wrote:

One A321 will be operating out of MAN initially (starting on 15JUL20 when the flights resume), mainly on Spanish routes - ALC morning, TFS afternoon rotation seem to happen fairly often and the occasional PMI in between.

Interesting you say that, I’m flying to TFS from MAN on the 18th in the afternoon, I wonder if that will see the A321? The dummy booking I did on the website was only showing 33 rows which is a 737 so far, but things could change I suppose.
B752 B753 A332 A321 B738

sdbelgium

Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:53 am

Both MAN-TFS on the 18th will see B738 operating, the A321 is planned to do the route on the 17th though. A321 plan on the 18th is MAN-ALC-MAN-DLM-MAN.

APYu

Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:17 am

The market is currently virtually non existent and will stay small for years. All airlines will be consolidating on key markets to survive. Any talks of expansion is a bit silly.
There is no Thomas cook gap, as the market has shrunk by more than any capacity TCX ever provided.
Similarly, there’s no VS gap to fill.

And while jet2 may not have ANNOUNCED any redundancies, don’t assume they aren’t planned.
We'd like to welcome in particular our Executive Club members and those joining us from our Oneworld alliance partners.

User001

Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:27 am

And while jet2 may not have ANNOUNCED any redundancies, don’t assume they aren’t planned

Huh? They got rid of about 500 flight deck and cabin crew just a few weeks ago?

Nickd92

Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:29 pm

APYu wrote:
The market is currently virtually non existent and will stay small for years. All airlines will be consolidating on key markets to survive. Any talks of expansion is a bit silly.
There is no Thomas cook gap, as the market has shrunk by more than any capacity TCX ever provided.
Similarly, there’s no VS gap to fill.

And while jet2 may not have ANNOUNCED any redundancies, don’t assume they aren’t planned.

8 million passengers flew in TC in 2018, who knows for the period of 2019 they were around. I'm sorry to say this but you are wrong about the TC market gap. That still does exist, and many airlines know this despite COVID. Their biggest base was funnily enough Jet2's biggest base. I suspect Jet2, and easyJet, TUI, are all too aware that there is still a gap left behind by TC. Otherwise why would easyJet continue to push ahead with "easyJet holidays"?

B777LRF

Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:44 pm

The biggest problem any UK carrier* faces right now, is that the UK haven't gotten the infection rate down to a level where its residents are welcome in countries to which they might like to travel.

This means the actual gap is a big fat zero, which is about the same size as the travelling market from the UK at the moment.

I'm fairly convinced that the UK will get things under control, question is how long that's going to take and whether it'll be soon enough to save Jet2. Having built a business almost exclusively on ferrying people from the UK to sandy destinations and back again, a market which currently is either non-existent or at the most a mere fraction of it's former self, survival is by no means assured.

So all this talk about filling in a gap left by TCX or Easy is baloney; the markets they served have quite simply ceased to exist for the time being, and it's anyone's guess when they will reemerge. It's way outside the control of Jet2, as it's decisions taken by various governments on when and under which circumstances to allow visitors from the UK.

* BA's got a bigger problem, in that their bread & butter is ferrying people across the Atlantic to the US. The trans-Atlantic market is extremely hard hit, and it doesn't help one bit that neither the US nor the UK are governed by people who seem able to do what it takes to get things under control.
Signature. You just read one.

TheWorm123

Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:56 pm

sdbelgium wrote:
Both MAN-TFS on the 18th will see B738 operating, the A321 is planned to do the route on the 17th though. A321 plan on the 18th is MAN-ALC-MAN-DLM-MAN.

Thank you very much for that, either way it’s a first for me I’ve not been on a 737 yet.

Do you have any idea for TFS-MAN on the 28th? I think it’s a 2:30 pm flight.
B752 B753 A332 A321 B738

seansasLCY

Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:03 pm

B777LRF wrote:
The biggest problem any UK carrier* faces right now, is that the UK haven't gotten the infection rate down to a level where its residents are welcome in countries to which they might like to travel.

This means the actual gap is a big fat zero, which is about the same size as the travelling market from the UK at the moment.

I'm fairly convinced that the UK will get things under control, question is how long that's going to take and whether it'll be soon enough to save Jet2. Having built a business almost exclusively on ferrying people from the UK to sandy destinations and back again, a market which currently is either non-existent or at the most a mere fraction of it's former self, survival is by no means assured.

So all this talk about filling in a gap left by TCX or Easy is baloney; the markets they served have quite simply ceased to exist for the time being, and it's anyone's guess when they will reemerge. It's way outside the control of Jet2, as it's decisions taken by various governments on when and under which circumstances to allow visitors from the UK.

* BA's got a bigger problem, in that their bread & butter is ferrying people across the Atlantic to the US. The trans-Atlantic market is extremely hard hit, and it doesn't help one bit that neither the US nor the UK are governed by people who seem able to do what it takes to get things under control.

Except that’s not true. Brits can visit Spain, Portugal (currently have to isolate on return but not in Portugal), Greece (from 15th July), Italy , Croatia and Turkey without the need for quarantine measures. Pretty much the main markets for these package operators.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos