Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mattyfitzg

Re: JET2 - what next ?

Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:32 am

User001 wrote:
And while jet2 may not have ANNOUNCED any redundancies, don’t assume they aren’t planned

Huh? They got rid of about 500 flight deck and cabin crew just a few weeks ago?

200 office staff to go in August too.

TheWorm123

Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:35 am

Interesting to note, SeatGuru is showing an A330 being allocated to MAN-TFS flights this month, along with a 757 and the A321.

The A321 has already been established but is SeatGuru still using the original pre-COVID schedule or has an A330 been returned from AirTanker?
B752 B753 A332 A321 B738

davidjohnson6

Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:10 am

Have you tried looking at the seat map for the same flights on Jet2's website, instead of just SeatGuru ?

sportzbar

Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:39 am

TheWorm123 wrote:
Interesting to note, SeatGuru is showing an A330 being allocated to MAN-TFS flights this month, along with a 757 and the A321.

The A321 has already been established but is SeatGuru still using the original pre-COVID schedule or has an A330 been returned from AirTanker?

Definitely no A330 flying for jet2. I was booked on one on 22 August to TFS from MAN and it's now a 737. I think SeatGuru is using old data.

TheWorm123

Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:42 am

sportzbar wrote:
TheWorm123 wrote:

Definitely no A330 flying for jet2. I was booked on one on 22 August to TFS from MAN and it's now a 737. I think SeatGuru is using old data.

I had a feeling, I’m assuming the 757 is an anomaly as well as the only aircraft currently active seem to be a few 737-800’s and the A321.
B752 B753 A332 A321 B738

B777LRF

Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:47 am

seansasLCY wrote:
Except that’s not true. Brits can visit Spain, Portugal (currently have to isolate on return but not in Portugal), Greece (from 15th July), Italy , Croatia and Turkey without the need for quarantine measures. Pretty much the main markets for these package operators.

That's not the full story either. I will admit that my blanket statement was not entirely correct, but here are the countries which are open (and the associated restrictions):

France (14 days quarantine on arrival)
Germany (quarantine on arrival, can't figure out for how long)
Italy (no restrictions)
Portugal except Madeira and Azores (no restrictions)
Spain (no restrictions)
Croatia (proof of accommodation booking or residency)
Czech republic (test within 72 hours of arrival, quarantine awaiting result)

Couldn't find anything on Greece.

Not quite as bleak as I portrayed it, and for that I apologise. Still, the market is but a shadow of it's former self and there really are no gaps in the market worth exploring following the demise of TCX. It is my sincere hope that residents from the UK are allowed unrestricted travel within the EU as soon as possible, but it may not come soon enough to save Jet2. The same, however, can be said of virtually every single EU airline catering to the bucket and spade market; the summer 2020 season has been shot to pieces, and it's doubtful if many, or even any, will survive until the 2021 season starts.

On the bright side, once the season starts again and presents a lot of opportunity, existing or new players will be eager to take a slice of the pie. One can only hope it is not done on the back of hard working employees, employed under vastly reduced terms and conditions.
Signature. You just read one.

APYu

Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:52 am

Nickd92 wrote:
Otherwise why would easyJet continue to push ahead with "easyJet holidays"?

EasyJet are getting rid of 1 in every 3 pilots.

They aren’t expanding into any TCX gap based on this figures. Theyre going back to 2015 (or even earlier) capacity levels.
We'd like to welcome in particular our Executive Club members and those joining us from our Oneworld alliance partners.

APYu

Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:59 am

seansasLCY wrote:

Except that’s not true. Brits can visit Spain, Portugal (currently have to isolate on return but not in Portugal), Greece (from 15th July), Italy , Croatia and Turkey without the need for quarantine measures. Pretty much the main markets for these package operators.

While these markets have just re-opened, the numbers still wanting to travel has fallen through the floor. None of the airlines have just switched on their full programme to these destinations again, far from it. EZY normally operate 5 AGPs a day during summer. They have scheduled only 1, as the demand simply isn’t there.

Numerous industry figures have said it will be 2/3 years before traffic gets back to 2019 levels. They know what they’re talking about.

Some planes with BA, EZY, TUI and jet2 will never fly in those colours again.
We'd like to welcome in particular our Executive Club members and those joining us from our Oneworld alliance partners.

OA260

Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:45 am

User001 wrote:
And while jet2 may not have ANNOUNCED any redundancies, don’t assume they aren’t planned

Huh? They got rid of about 500 flight deck and cabin crew just a few weeks ago?

They have also made some managers and sales Reps redundant just this week too.

IrishLessor

Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:56 am

Jet2 have a very differentiated business model and they are more a tour operator than low cost airline, hence they can go alongside easyJet and Ryanair at bases like STN BHX etc. Not technically apples with apples.

I'd be inclined to agree with above comments, Jet2 should stick to what they know and that is short haul sun and cities focussing on their holiday product. The airline has scale with hotels and resorts in Europe and the Med in particular. Looking to replicate this in the US would logically be Florida and Las Vegas. In the holiday space these are Virgin strong holds, Virgin would likely defend their patch and in those markets Virgin has huge scale with land plant.

Jet2 will come out of this, we will get through this virus and I think 2021 particularly summer time will see a return to foreign travel at scale... but likely 2022 will be the year that we head towards 2019 volumes ..

sdbelgium

Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:03 am

TheWorm123 wrote:
Thank you very much for that, either way it’s a first for me I’ve not been on a 737 yet.

Do you have any idea for TFS-MAN on the 28th? I think it’s a 2:30 pm flight.

LS918 (14.10 dep) is showing a B738 operating as well for the time being.

jomur

Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:05 am

IrishLessor wrote:
Jet2 have a very differentiated business model and they are more a tour operator than low cost airline, hence they can go alongside easyJet and Ryanair at bases like STN BHX etc. Not technically apples with apples.

I'd be inclined to agree with above comments, Jet2 should stick to what they know and that is short haul sun and cities focussing on their holiday product. The airline has scale with hotels and resorts in Europe and the Med in particular. Looking to replicate this in the US would logically be Florida and Las Vegas. In the holiday space these are Virgin strong holds, Virgin would likely defend their patch and in those markets Virgin has huge scale with land plant.

Jet2 will come out of this, we will get through this virus and I think 2021 particularly summer time will see a return to foreign travel at scale... but likely 2022 will be the year that we head towards 2019 volumes ..

Virgin has lost tens of thousands of repeat and potential new customers due to their handling of refunds. Virgin would struggle if Jet2 brought their style to the Florida holiday market, you will be suprised how many Jet2 customers want them to expand to Florida...not that it makes Jet2 want to jump into this market yet.

APYu

Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:18 am

jomur wrote:
IrishLessor wrote:

Virgin has lost tens of thousands of repeat and potential new customers due to their handling of refunds. Virgin would struggle if Jet2 brought their style to the Florida holiday market, you will be suprised how many Jet2 customers want them to expand to Florida...not that it makes Jet2 want to jump into this market yet.

The Florida market alone is now much smaller now you have to book specific days at the theme parks whose capacity has also been slashed making it difficult to book those days.

APYu

Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:24 am

IrishLessor wrote:

It’s the winters that kill these businesses. We can now see how quiet a covid summer is. A winter covid season will be very harsh.
I think jet2 will survive, but like all airlines will be much smaller in order to do so. I just find the talk of expansion in the current market (and the next two years) a little ridiculous.

jamsco99

Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:56 am

I had 3 holidays booked with jet2 this summer. All cancelled (1 for next week was cancelled with 6 days notice).
They refund quick but I can't trust a company that cancels your holiday with 6 days notice.

rugeley123

Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:20 am

I think Jet2, like easyJet and TUI, will probably shrink their operations for the Winter 2020, and possibly the Summer 2021, travel seasons. However, I do see some expansion on the cards if we were to look onwards towards 2025, but who knows what the next few years has in store for us! I feel I can categorise my predictions for Jet2 (and the UK Tour Operator industry) into 4 points:

1) I do not see expansion into Gatwick, or any other London Airport (outside of Stansted) for Jet2. I was definitely surprised when I heard they were expanding into both Birmingham and Stansted a few years ago. I do not know how successful Stansted has been for them, but I do know the airport does have a good catchment from outside London & The Southeast. Gatwick (as a base) and Jet2 doesn't feel right, even though I think they have operated to the airport in the past.

2) I think any long-haul operations for Jet2 are still a couple of years away, and I think 2021, without COVID-19, would have been an unlikely starting point for places like Florida, Las Vegas, and the Caribbean. I know they have leased A330s for a couple of years now, and I do also remember talk of 767 operations a few years ago, but I cannot remember where from or how credible such talk was. However, their A330 operations have all been one-class with no premium product, even on trips down to the Canary Islands, and I have not seen or heard of any development into a more premium product for longer flights. Although one-class operations to North America are entirely possible, especially on leisure airlines and tour operators, I think there is still an expectation of an "upgraded" service, and I feel that Jet2 would trial such product on longer routings they currently have before expanding into the long-haul market.

3) I see possible expansion in Cardiff or Bristol, but I would also add Exeter into this mix. Since the shutdown of FlyBe (which used to also fly passengers on package holidays, I think sometimes on behalf of Thomson / TUI), I do see Jet2 having a small base in Exeter, with probably no more than 2 aircraft.

4) (Not directly related to Jet2's operations, but would definitely have an impact towards them in the future) I see Hayes Travel either chartering in, or adopting, an in-house airline to coincide with their operations, in the next 5-10 years. Currently, we are down to two major tour operators within the UK serving short-haul bucket-and-spade operations (TUI and Jet2), and I feel there is a genuine gap in the market, particularly in the Midlands. Although there are airlines like Air Malta and BH Air which also fill a smaller percentage of this market, I think families and couples, especially with this pandemic in mind, will still feel anxious about booking independently in comparison to package holidays, especially as it seems our largest non-package holiday airline is Ryanair (although cheap, I don't think people have much confidence with them when booking expensive family holidays). Yes, some people will travel up to Manchester or down to Stansted or Luton if they have to, but people seem to much prefer flying from their local airports (whether that is Birmingham or East Midlands) for these types of trips. From those I have spoken to, Gatwick is not a popular choice.

B757236GT

Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:32 am

rugeley123 wrote:

3) I see possible expansion in Cardiff or Bristol, but I would also add Exeter into this mix. Since the shutdown of FlyBe (which used to also fly passengers on package holidays, I think sometimes on behalf of Thomson / TUI), I do see Jet2 having a small base in Exeter, with probably no more than 2 aircraft.

The only one of those i could seem them have even half a chance is Bristol. Exeter doesn't have the footfall and the travel from there doesn't seem to fit with what Jet2 are doing. Cardiff a little more likely but been tried many times and failed many times. Bristol has a better chance as TC had a decent operation there but i wonder if Tui and Easyjet will look to consolidate their position there to keep Jet2 from being tempted. Having said that look at what they achieved with Leeds/Bradford so maybe they may see an oppportunity which my eyes might be missing.

OA260

Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:48 pm

jamsco99 wrote:
I had 3 holidays booked with jet2 this summer. All cancelled (1 for next week was cancelled with 6 days notice).
They refund quick but I can't trust a company that cancels your holiday with 6 days notice.

To be honest they are all at it but there are some that sit on your money for weeks and weeks so credit to Jet2 to get you the money back .

sprite86
Topic Author

Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:00 pm

Rugeley123
I’m glad you mention Hayes travel I have been thinking similar to you about them starting an airline or charter flights

This week the news broke that Hayes would open a new office in Glasgow taking on 100 former Travel 2 staff, the sole purpose of this new office is it scale up Hayes own in house tour operation
At the start of the year travel weekly said Hayes has had conversations with the CAA but doesn’t mention what about I Can see Hayes chartering or starting and airline very soon if they are trying to extend there own product rather than selling Tui and jet2 products

Back to topic with Jet 2 on travel weekly last week jet2 said they would hold station on growth until 2022 focusing on core Markets only
Interestingly the article said that big plans for 2021 had been put on the back burner but doesn’t say any more
Was this the start of long haul Do we think ? Or more short haul destinations

jomur

Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:26 pm

Jet2.com's winter programme is now going to be 50% of what was originally planned and next year summer is 20% less than what was originally planned. Both these could increase with demand but just as equally drop. Also they haven't taken up the £300 million Government backed loan they secured either yet.

Channex757

Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:14 pm

On the subject of survival, LS owns quite a fair chunk of its aircraft inventory. That's always a bonus as it means less outgoings and also collateral if necessary. The company was always debt-averse in that until recently and a killer deal from Boeing, they preferred to buy aircraft for cash.

It's a company that has grown explosively by just being good at what they do; the basics. Once it became clear that they were going to be a leisure airline many early routes were dropped or retimed, and this means they have a two-pronged offering of airline and holiday company. It's a good place to be in and saw them consistently profitable through the 2008 and onwards recession.

Expect them to consolidate and claw back their pre-2020 position before expanding to places like Bristol and Bournemouth.

GibbonUK

Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:52 pm

rugeley123 wrote:
1) I do not see expansion into Gatwick, or any other London Airport (outside of Stansted) for Jet2. I was definitely surprised when I heard they were expanding into both Birmingham and Stansted a few years ago. I do not know how successful Stansted has been for them, but I do know the airport does have a good catchment from outside London & The Southeast. Gatwick (as a base) and Jet2 doesn't feel right, even though I think they have operated to the airport in the past.

As I am lead to believe , Jet 2 have been very successful at STN, so much so that I think they very quickly had to up the number of aircraft based their from the original 6 to 12 due to demand in a short period of time

I don't know the exact 2019 figure of based aircraft, but they also employ TITAN most years (pre covid)

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/br ... ndon-base/

rugeley123

Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:25 am

GibbonUK wrote:
rugeley123 wrote:

As I am lead to believe , Jet 2 have been very successful at STN, so much so that I think they very quickly had to up the number of aircraft based their from the original 6 to 12 due to demand in a short period of time

I don't know the exact 2019 figure of based aircraft, but they also employ TITAN most years (pre covid)

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/br ... ndon-base/

I know they have been using Titan, but I’ve seen Titan aircraft being used by Jet2 prior to Stansted and Birmingham opening. Out of interest, do we know how many passengers flying with Jet2 from Stansted are from London & Southeast?

TheWorm123

Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:19 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Have you tried looking at the seat map for the same flights on Jet2's website, instead of just SeatGuru ?

Sorry I just saw this, yes that’s what I did I checked the flight with a dummy booking and then checked with SeatGuru to confirm which aircraft it is by comparing the number of seat rows.
B752 B753 A332 A321 B738

TheWorm123

Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:31 am

Does anyone know the planned rotation for the A321 on the 28th?
B752 B753 A332 A321 B738

sdbelgium

Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:41 am

TheWorm123 wrote:

For the time being it’s only LS831/2 MAN-PMI-MAN.

TheWorm123

Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:02 am

I’m due to fly on Jet2 tomorrow so I can report back here if anything newsworthy or interesting happens

sdbelgium wrote:
TheWorm123 wrote:

That’s a shame, thank you for checking I appreciate it. Ironically PMI is next years holiday..
B752 B753 A332 A321 B738

armadillomaster

Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:22 pm

B757236GT wrote:
rugeley123 wrote:

The only one of those i could seem them have even half a chance is Bristol. Exeter doesn't have the footfall and the travel from there doesn't seem to fit with what Jet2 are doing. Cardiff a little more likely but been tried many times and failed many times. Bristol has a better chance as TC had a decent operation there but i wonder if Tui and Easyjet will look to consolidate their position there to keep Jet2 from being tempted. Having said that look at what they achieved with Leeds/Bradford so maybe they may see an oppportunity which my eyes might be missing.

Leeds/Bradford is a massive catchment area. The only hindrance is the runway and the terminal.

Jet2 saw the potential at LBA and went for it where others didn't. TUI and TC both were dragging their heels and missed a trick.

TheWorm123

Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:10 pm

sdbelgium wrote:
TheWorm123 wrote:

By a stroke of luck LS 1676 the MAN-TFS flight before mine was cancelled in favouring of putting those passengers onto my flight LS 917 so we got the A321 in a last minute change :).

The flight attendants are still getting used to the new plane and getting into the swing of things again I think. We had two captains as well strangely enough, the command captain also made sure to let passengers know this is a new plane type to Jet2 and to make sure we read the new safety cards.

A very good plane/flight on the whole it looks brand new as well inside since being refurbed into Jet2’s interior and exterior.
B752 B753 A332 A321 B738

OA260

Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:58 am

Jet2holidays will operate 20 fewer aircraft in 2021, as operator's boss Steve Heapy urges the rest of industry to approach next year with care in Travel Weekly webcast

www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/380212/ ... of-caution

airhansa

Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:32 am

Would anyone see a takeover of Jet2 by TUI?

davidjohnson6

Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:40 am

Would a takeover of Jet2 by TUI be allowed by competition regulators ? If so, what kind of penalty might the regulator demand to allow a takeover ?

bennett123

Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:57 am

Not looking good for the B737-300 or B757.

Channex757

Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:31 am

airhansa wrote:
Would anyone see a takeover of Jet2 by TUI?

Not wishing to sound snarky, but what would be the point? The CMA (competition body in the UK) would be all over it like a rash.

The only intention would be to eliminate a competitor and drive prices up. When BA took over BCal, they promoted the deal on the basis of there being huge amounts of competition at LHR even if the two merged. That would be questionable if TUI took over Jet2 as there is no longer a comparably size competitor now that TCX has gone.

In addition, a lot of jobs would need to go to right-size the new airline and travel company. It's just a bad deal for the British consumer.

airhansa

Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:49 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Would a takeover of Jet2 by TUI be allowed by competition regulators ? If so, what kind of penalty might the regulator demand to allow a takeover ?

You would have plenty of competition in the UK airline market. There's BA, Easy Jet and Ryanair directly competing with TUI, with smaller regional airlines such as Loganair and international airlines such as KLM also providing sufficient competition. Considering that Virgin Atlantic, Flybe and Thomas Cook were't problems of the anti-trust authorities, why would TUI be a problem?

davidjohnson6

Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:08 am

Would a competition regulator view TUI and Jet2 simply as airlines, or would they be regarded instead as package holiday companies ?
Competition bodies tend to be very forgiving when they see a company will go bankrupt if not allowed to merge - hence willingness around Virgin/Flybe in Feb this year pre-Covid. Jet2 and TUI do not seem anywhere near bankruptcy so a regulator would be a bit more demanding on terms
Would the disappearance of Thomas Cook perhaps make a competition body more concerned over concentration in the package holiday market from the UK ?
Would KLM or Loganair be regarded as competition for taking people on holiday from Newcastle to Mallorca ? Probably not

SueD

Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:36 am

airhansa wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

You would have plenty of competition in the UK airline market. There's BA, Easy Jet and Ryanair directly competing with TUI, with smaller regional airlines such as Loganair and international airlines such as KLM also providing sufficient competition. Considering that Virgin Atlantic, Flybe and Thomas Cook were't problems of the anti-trust authorities, why would TUI be a problem?

Airhansa - You consisting misunderstand the dynamics of the UK complete package holiday industry.

Jet2’s main client is its OWN package holiday business selling transfers, room, differing levels of board, and provision of rep support with a selected range of contracted and dedicated hotel chains.
Its quite an ageing business model, but it still works for many families on a tight budget . Excess plane capacity is they sold on.

They have also built their business model around regional airports , where most those same families on budgets reside.

Those few minoes are domestic commuters serving a completely different market.

And the likes of AFKL take LONG HAUL traffic through their hubs .

IMHO- I despise the idea of using Hubs for inter European flights and indeed so does a significant market - That’s why Ryanair has such a successful business model in secondary and leisure markets - Fares are only part of it; who else would get you from Edinburgh to Santander or Manchester to Béziers for instance .

Only Tui ( a German company remains in the same space; however their First Choice offerings are rather higher price and quality) is a competitor and offers similar one stop shopping today.

BA aren’t in the same markets in anyway, other than a few weekend BACF flights (that also carry some third party package business).

Go learn a thing or two about the inclusive tour/package holiday business model .

Virgin remain in business just. Flybe closed after dire management, and Thomas Cook were so heavily indebted (The holiday business - not the airline) and while the Scandinavian and German businesses have survived the non interventionist UK government and markets refused continued credit lines forcing the collapse.

And of those three businesses only Thomas Cook were in the same business field as Jet2 - indeed they owned even more real estate than planes !

OA260

Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:00 pm

Jet2holidays suspends flights and holidays to mainland Spain and The Algarve

Jet2holidays is to suspend all its flights and holidays to mainland Spain and to The Algarve in Portugal from July 28 until August 16.

The tour operator and airline said it had made the decision in light of the government’s latest advice requiring travellers to quarantine on their return from Spain and the FCO’s change in advice against all but essential travel, just to mainland Spain.

This represents a U-turn’s on the company’s statement yesterday (July 26) when it confirmed it would continue to operate to mainland Spain as normal despite the change in quarantine rules and FCO advice for the mainland.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/ ... land-spain

TheWorm123

Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:47 pm

Looks like I’ll be on possibly one of the last flights out of TFS tomorrow afternoon then.

Edit - anyone know where G-HLYF will be flying tomorrow?
B752 B753 A332 A321 B738

OA260

Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:11 pm

The Foreign Office has changed its advice and is now advising against all non-essential travel to Spain, the Balearic and Canary Islands, after initially only advising against travel to mainland Spain

TheWorm123

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:30 pm

Jet2 have sent an email to travel agents advising them to tell customers that no outbound flights to Spain are flying from the UK tomorrow.

I think it’s possible/likely that any planes currently in Spain or enroute will probably stay overnight and fly out back to the UK tomorrow.

G-HLYf for example is still mid Atlantic on LS 917 en route to TFS so possibly will wait for the early afternoon LS 918 back to MAN?
B752 B753 A332 A321 B738

sportzbar

Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:28 am

TheWorm123 wrote:
Jet2 have sent an email to travel agents advising them to tell customers that no outbound flights to Spain are flying from the UK tomorrow.

I think it’s possible/likely that any planes currently in Spain or enroute will probably stay overnight and fly out back to the UK tomorrow.

The outbound flights from UK airports will still operate, just without passengers. There will still be passengers on the inbound flights coming back to the UK. Easier to repatriate holidaymakers using the original inbound flights so I think we will still see Jet2 flights to Spain, just with no passengers....

TheWorm123

Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:59 am

sportzbar wrote:
TheWorm123 wrote:

The outbound flights from UK airports will still operate, just without passengers. There will still be passengers on the inbound flights coming back to the UK. Easier to repatriate holidaymakers using the original inbound flights so I think we will still see Jet2 flights to Spain, just with no passengers....

You’re right there’s still outbound flights when I checked to Spain from Jet2, Ryanair and EasyJet heading to the usual destinations.
B752 B753 A332 A321 B738

Boeing74741R

Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:17 am

airhansa wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

BA do not compete with Jet2 at all from any of the UK airports Jet2 serve - except for maybe STN at a push. Yes you could connect via LHR or LGW to a number of these destinations, but only those who are bothered about getting BA Executive Club/Avios points/statuses or those that wouldn't be seen dead on any form of leisure or low-cost airline will do that and there aren't that many of them. You also won't see people viably entertaining a one-stop option to get to the holiday hotspots around the Mediterranean either. History has shown there's plenty of demand for direct flights to these places from the regions that BA, to all intents and purposes, have no interest in serving. The only thing that comes close are the weekend flights using BA CityFlyer from the likes of MAN in recent years, but even that's not done in scale.

I also don't think a merger between Jet2 and TUI will be in the best interests of the consumer either, especially after the loss of one key player within the last 12 months. I imagine TUI have enough on their plate to be dealing with at the moment and I imagine buying a competitor in the UK isn't on their list of priorities.

You mention Thomas Cook. Their merger with MyTravel was way back in 2008 when there was more competition and one of them had been through a period of financial turbulence. The market was a bit different then too. It was also around that time when TUI was buying First Choice and merging it into what when then called Thomson, and all before the recession towards the end of that decade.

jomur

Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:51 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:

For a start it would have to be a hostile takeover as there is no way Phillip Meason would allow that.
Jet2 was on course to overtake TUI in a few years so its more likely the other way around with Jet2 taking over TUIs UK arm.

OA260

Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:47 pm

Jet2 cancel flights and holidays to Tenerife, Gran Canaria, Fuerteventura, Lanzarote, Majorca, Menorca and Ibiza up to 9 August.

lee757

Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:10 pm

jomur wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

For a start it would have to be a hostile takeover as there is no way Phillip Meason would allow that.
Jet2 was on course to overtake TUI in a few years so its more likely the other way around with Jet2 taking over TUIs UK arm.

Whilst i don't think Tui would go after Jet2 or be allowed to, it's absolute rubbish to think Jet2 would get Tui. For a start they'd have the same competition issues, plus the UK source market is too important for Tui. Also unlike Jet2 they're vertically integrated so they need their customers to fill their own shops, hotels, planes and buses etc. They don't just pay a third-party travel agent commission, buy a bed from a bed bank and stick you in a hotel and package it up like jet2 do (well they do with skytours but its a tiny proportion of their business).

Think the biggest problem for both jet2 and Tui will be any new entrant. Granted Fosun didn't get the Thomas Cook deal but they did get the brand. Imagine its a hell of a lot cheaper to buy some second hand 320's or 737's over the next year or so, potentially buy Hays travel stores and voila - you've got yourself a tour operator for a lot less than the 900 Million they were going to spend. Plus without the hangover debt from covid or any tarnished image from the handling of covid. Funny how Cook's site is no longer about administration but 'stay in the know' citing holidays :stirthepot:

jomur

Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:18 pm

lee757 wrote:
jomur wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

Whilst i don't think Tui would go after Jet2 or be allowed to, it's absolute rubbish to think Jet2 would get Tui. For a start they'd have the same competition issues, plus the UK source market is too important for Tui. Also unlike Jet2 they're vertically integrated so they need their customers to fill their own shops, hotels, planes and buses etc. They don't just pay a third-party travel agent commission, buy a bed from a bed bank and stick you in a hotel and package it up like jet2 do (well they do with skytours but its a tiny proportion of their business).

Think the biggest problem for both jet2 and Tui will be any new entrant. Granted Fosun didn't get the Thomas Cook deal but they did get the brand. Imagine its a hell of a lot cheaper to buy some second hand 320's or 737's over the next year or so, potentially buy Hays travel stores and voila - you've got yourself a tour operator for a lot less than the 900 Million they were going to spend. Plus without the hangover debt from covid or any tarnished image from the handling of covid. Funny how Cook's site is no longer about administration but 'stay in the know' citing holidays :stirthepot:

Oh I know Jet2 would have no interest in taking over TUI just that that was more likely than TUI trying to takeover Jet2, both equally not likely to happen. We have EasyJet trying their own branded holiday packages but are currently struggling so I doubt any new entrant will worry Jet2 for some time.

TheWorm123

Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:32 pm

757s have been brought back from storage apparently they came back with a bang:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-jet2-boeing-757-circles-22498582

I do like the MEN for local news but they don’t half fear monger and the stock photos are 737s just to top it off.

If there were flames it was more likely an engine surge than a bird strike.
B752 B753 A332 A321 B738

B757236GT

Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:15 pm

OA260 wrote:
Jet2holidays will operate 20 fewer aircraft in 2021, as operator's boss Steve Heapy urges the rest of industry to approach next year with care in Travel Weekly webcast

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/ ... of-caution

Only just come back to do some browsing after a very busy period away and i saw this which didn't really get commented on. Now i would guess this includes the 733s and 752 but they only number 15 i believe, what are the other 5ish as i note he states "close to 20 fewer aircraft? I initially though the regular summer leases however they aren't on lease at the moment so i'm not sure whether they count or not.

He also states they have taken delivery of all aircraft on order so where does this leave the A321s of which they only have one in service but with more that were due to come?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos