Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BAeRJ100

Re: CCTV in Aircrafts

Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:10 pm

LABA wrote:
mmo wrote:
LABA wrote:
Lastly - FDR and CVR provide data and audio. An image is worth 1000 words.

Not really, especially in aviation. A CVR transcript is worth its weight in gold. It is fair and impartial. Plus, where is the need for a CVR?

I presume here you refer to Cockpit Video Recorder?

Yes, CVR is industry standard for Cockpit Voice Recorder. This is rookie stuff. The fact that you had to ask for clarification tells me all I need to know about your aviation knowledge.
B737/738/739/744ER/752/753/763/77L/77W/788/789
A223/320/321/332/333/346/359/388
MD82/MD88/717/F100/RJ85/RJ100/146-100/200/300
E175/190/CRJ700/900

LABA
Topic Author

Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:16 pm

BAeRJ100 wrote:
LABA wrote:
mmo wrote:
Not really, especially in aviation. A CVR transcript is worth its weight in gold. It is fair and impartial. Plus, where is the need for a CVR?

I presume here you refer to Cockpit Video Recorder?

Yes, CVR is industry standard for Cockpit Voice Recorder. This is rookie stuff. The fact that you had to ask for clarification tells me all I need to know about your aviation knowledge.

Please re-read your post and let me know what you mean with the need for a CVR. That is what I am questioning. I admit, I am not the aviation 'expert' like others - but you want might to brush up on your reading skills.

blandy62

Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:20 pm

mmo wrote:

That died a very quick death when ALPA dug it's heels in and determined the real reason was to use the videos for potential disciplinary action. And you are justifying the use of CCTVs for the exact same thing. As long as the number of takeoffs and landings are equal and no limits are busted, we can thank glass cockpits for the snitch function, what difference does CCTVs make? None!

" As long as the number of takeoffs and landings are equal, and no limits are busted": Everybody wants to see thant, and people to work by the book. By how do you ensure that no limits are busted? You always have staff company cutting corners and that's how people get killed.

"ALPA dug it's heels in and determined the real reason was to use the videos for potential disciplinary action": of course, there will always be some rotten employers who will use it that way. But in the end, if you do the job you are paid for well, follow the rules...., there is very little to be afraid of. Similar to speed camera, CCTV in shops.... if you don't drive too fast if you don't steal in shops....

How many accidents are never really fully solved because we just don't have a full picture of the situation in the cockpit at the time of the accident? Voice recorder, telemetry tells a lot but not everything, as others stated too.

But again, we all have our views on the topics. And the decision to have stuck equipment or not has to be taken by regulators... but I am fairly sure that we will see it in the future under one form or another and for one reason or another.

bigb

Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:46 pm

blandy62 wrote:
mmo wrote:

That died a very quick death when ALPA dug it's heels in and determined the real reason was to use the videos for potential disciplinary action. And you are justifying the use of CCTVs for the exact same thing. As long as the number of takeoffs and landings are equal and no limits are busted, we can thank glass cockpits for the snitch function, what difference does CCTVs make? None!

" As long as the number of takeoffs and landings are equal, and no limits are busted": Everybody wants to see thant, and people to work by the book. By how do you ensure that no limits are busted? You always have staff company cutting corners and that's how people get killed.

"ALPA dug it's heels in and determined the real reason was to use the videos for potential disciplinary action": of course, there will always be some rotten employers who will use it that way. But in the end, if you do the job you are paid for well, follow the rules...., there is very little to be afraid of. Similar to speed camera, CCTV in shops.... if you don't drive too fast if you don't steal in shops....

How many accidents are never really fully solved because we just don't have a full picture of the situation in the cockpit at the time of the accident? Voice recorder, telemetry tells a lot but not everything, as others stated too.

But again, we all have our views on the topics. And the decision to have stuck equipment or not has to be taken by regulators... but I am fairly sure that we will see it in the future under one form or another and for one reason or another.

The accidents that haven’t been solved has been either, aircraft disappeared, wreckage unable to be recovered, or government cover up.

Accident investigators already have access to a lot of data with the CVR and FDR. They have access to ATC recordings and weather data. Between all that, accident investigators have been able to find cause of a lot of accidents and provide lessons learned for the industry. A CCTV isn’t really needed.

Noshow

Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:32 am

This is what Airbus is offering for cabin monitoring. Strange that cockpits are not included in what is recorded for safety and accident investigation.
https://services.airbus.com/en/in-fligh ... -cvms.html