Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
SQ22
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 1856
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 am

COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:32 pm

Welcome to the COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020. Please continue your discussion and to add your comments below.

Link to last thread:

COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - May 2020
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 24514
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:24 pm

ICAO is out with its health recommendations which they seek national authorities to adopt.

They call for following onboard passenger changes as air travel resumes

> Adjust the boarding/disembarking process
> Seat assignment to maximize physical distancing between passengers
> Strictly limit carry on baggage except for single small hand luggage under the seat
> Limit or suspend food and beverage service. Anything served should be in sealed, pre-packaged containers
> Remove all non-essential supplies onboard - pillows, blankets, magazines, newspapers, etc
> Designated crew lavatory
> Passenger lav use limited to minimize congregation and movement in the cabin
> Crew use of PPE
> Increase cleaning/sanitization
> Mandate face mask for passengers.

https://www.icao.int/covid/cart/Pages/C ... overy.aspx
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
fil87
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun May 05, 2019 10:53 am

Lufthansa lounges re-opening in Frankfurt & Munich

Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:18 pm

Lufthansa has re-opened its lounges at the Frankfurt & Munich hubs. At both airports there is currently only one combined lounge for all passengers. These lounges are located at the following locations:

Frankfurt: Senator Lounge A, Terminal 1
Munich: Business Lounge Schengen, Terminal 2

The usual subdivision into Business, Senator and First-class lounge is completely eliminated. Ridiculous, rather outrageous offering: very limited snacks, water only, no canned drinks, coffee machine not working. Below the link to some pictures:

https://travel-dealz.de/news/lufthansa- ... ronavirus/
 
User avatar
mercure1
Posts: 4758
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:14 pm

LAXintl wrote:
They call for following onboard passenger changes as air travel resumes



Good. They all seem sensible. Hopefully adopted by most countries so we can have some standardization and not each nation making up its own policies.
mercure f-wtcc
 
dcajet
Posts: 4654
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:18 pm

First ever non stop flight between Israel and Argentina, an El Al repatriation flight. 787-8, 4X-ERA.17hs 02mins planned flight time

https://www.flightradar24.com/ELY045/249dd62f
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
Miamiairport
Posts: 585
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:14 pm

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:38 pm

Some of those ideas are never going to happen. Lavs as it are too limited on a/c because a lav won't earn any revenue. Require to one be a crew only and the lines will be forming. Also what is the crew is suppose to do, time limit people. Also, you want space limitations either the government can keep handing over billions to the airline industry so that they can fly 35% full flights or we can go back to 1960s style pricing.

There hasn't been one confirmed case of COVID 19 from a commercial a/c. If you are under age 65 and in good health you were more at risk driving to the airport that sitting on that plane. But let's not let facts rule the day instead hysteria from morons that want to make a name for themselves. High risk people should not fly but they are, and in numbers. So we can either say that's on them if they get COVID 19 during travel (and not just on an airplane) or require that flyers show/exhibit proof of fitness to fly.
 
dcajet
Posts: 4654
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:16 pm

Miamiairport wrote:

There hasn't been one confirmed case of COVID 19 from a commercial a/c. .


That we know of...

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020/05/ ... -covid-19/

https://www.thesun.ie/news/5485968/flig ... ronavirus/
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
Toenga
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:55 am

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:19 pm

mercure1 wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
They call for following onboard passenger changes as air travel resumes



Good. They all seem sensible. Hopefully adopted by most countries so we can have some standardization and not each nation making up its own policies.


The threat from covid transmission is vastly different in some countries the in others.
With zero known community transmission only one known active case of covid in NZ, and most Australian States are in an equivalent position there is no logic in imposing conditions on internal flights in these jurisdictions, where there is only an infinitesimal chance of covid transmission just to achieve "uniformity" with places in the rest of the world where such use is extremely prudent.
 
User avatar
ADent
Posts: 1103
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:11 pm

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:25 pm

Miamiairport wrote:

There hasn't been one confirmed case of COVID 19 from a commercial a/c.


Not sure what you consider “confirmed“, but there was this:

“Later on Sunday, the health ministry said nine more people, all foreigners, on the same flight were confirmed to have contracted the virus. Seven are British, one is Mexican and one is Icelandic.”
From https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... es-vietnam

Total was 16 passengers (well one was a FA) tested positive.
 
Miamiairport
Posts: 585
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:14 pm

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:52 pm

mercure1 wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
They call for following onboard passenger changes as air travel resumes



Good. They all seem sensible. Hopefully adopted by most countries so we can have some standardization and not each nation making up its own policies.


So are you in favor of ongoing billion dollar bailouts or 1960s pricing or higher. You’d be the first batch to complain if a LGA/ATL coach fare was over $1K.
 
User avatar
UPlog
Posts: 558
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:45 am

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:03 pm

Ensuring passenger safety and regaining consumer confidence is key today.

Its logical we broadly adopt standards to accomplish this.

The last thing the travel industry needs are infections to be traced back to air travel or hotel stays. It will scare millions away for even longer.
I fly your boxes
 
Miamiairport
Posts: 585
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:14 pm

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:28 pm

The people with a brain like me they aren’t at risk will travel realizing we are putting ourselves at more risk driving to the airport. The people that actually believe the garbage on CNN will stay home hidden under the covers. One thing that would slow down my travel would be 1960s style prices. Those that think airlines can run with 30% load factors, charge current fares and somehow stay in business is astounding.
 
User avatar
janders
Moderator
Posts: 1104
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:27 pm

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:13 am

Rebuilding confidence and ensuring health will require policies to be put place which preferably are standardized so you know what to expect across your journey at airports, airlines, and countries. ICAO proposal starts the ball rolling on this.

Its critical everything is done to ensure safety for employees and customers all along the journey. Yes gone will be the frills of lounge dining and big buffets to feast at, fancy onboard bedding and food and drink.

Its a small price to pay in the short run to ensure the planet overcomes this pandemic and as many lives as possible are spared.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle
 
ArtV
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:29 pm

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:36 am

Miamiairport wrote:
Some of those ideas are never going to happen. Lavs as it are too limited on a/c because a lav won't earn any revenue. Require to one be a crew only and the lines will be forming. Also what is the crew is suppose to do, time limit people. Also, you want space limitations either the government can keep handing over billions to the airline industry so that they can fly 35% full flights or we can go back to 1960s style pricing.

There hasn't been one confirmed case of COVID 19 from a commercial a/c. If you are under age 65 and in good health you were more at risk driving to the airport that sitting on that plane. But let's not let facts rule the day instead hysteria from morons that want to make a name for themselves. High risk people should not fly but they are, and in numbers. So we can either say that's on them if they get COVID 19 during travel (and not just on an airplane) or require that flyers show/exhibit proof of fitness to fly.


There have been plenty of cases for flight crew, along with pax, being infected.

Just one example: https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/fligh ... 01406.html (approx 30 of the passengers from Russia were tested positive in government quarantine - the aircrew was held in separate quarantine).
 
User avatar
mercure1
Posts: 4758
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:12 am

IATA backs the ICAO guidance and hopes that a common set of practices are implemented quickly across industry.

The guidelines, backed by industry, address the current hodgepodge of rules put in place during the coronavirus pandemic that make flying different in almost every country. Aviation experts have said that a common set of safety practices will be instrumental in restoring passengers' confidence.
"The guidelines need to be in place quickly," said Alexandre de Juniac, director of the International Air Transport Association (IATA), said during a virtual press conference.


https://finance.yahoo.com/news/global-a ... 26372.html
mercure f-wtcc
 
Blerg
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:37 am

ADent wrote:
Miamiairport wrote:

There hasn't been one confirmed case of COVID 19 from a commercial a/c.


Not sure what you consider “confirmed“, but there was this:

“Later on Sunday, the health ministry said nine more people, all foreigners, on the same flight were confirmed to have contracted the virus. Seven are British, one is Mexican and one is Icelandic.”
From https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... es-vietnam

Total was 16 passengers (well one was a FA) tested positive.


There was a similar scenario on Croatia Airlines' flight from Frankfurt to Zagreb about two weeks ago.
 
User avatar
Antaras
Posts: 701
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:18 am

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:07 am

Miamiairport wrote:
There hasn't been one confirmed case of COVID 19 from a commercial a/c.


Hey yo have a look at Vietnam Airlines flight VN54 from LHR to HAN on March 2.
Read this article: https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/coronavirus-vietnam-confirms-three-more-infections-4070257.html

"Patient 59", the flight attendant was on the same flight VN54 as Nguyen Hong Nhung, Hanoi’s first Covid-19 patient and the nation's 17th, that flew from London and landed in Hanoi on March 2. She’s now the 21st infection related to the flight.


Exactly, there were at least 16 pax found infected with SARS-CoV-2 on that flight, by this Vietnamese article:

Mr. Chung said that out of 21 passengers of the Class C flight VN0054, 15 passengers were positive for COVID-19. In addition, there is a positive passenger in the common cabin.


Which version of Internet Explorer are you using, bro?
Edit signature
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 4106
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:23 pm

A special mask with a replaceable straw port would work. Ensure (hate them, but they are a meal substitute), wine, water. Until vaccine comes along I will not fly, and then if I do only flights under a couple hours. No need for bathroom trip, meals, but a canned wine with a straw might be tempting.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)
 
Miamiairport
Posts: 585
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:14 pm

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:29 pm

What were their health conditions? Did these people become so sick they needed hospitalization? I've got news for you an a/c is a dirty environment and I would never, ever take onboard an a/c either a loved elderly family member or family member/friend with serious health issues Irrespective of COVID 19. Planes get a deep clean about once a month. Imagine thousands of different people in your home over a month and only a superficial cleaning.

Again all of you screaming about all the infections supposedly killing paxs and crew are you in favor or the government continually bailing out airlines or 1960s style pricing so that airlines can implement these measures you claim are needed. So for none of you have had the wherewithal to opine.
 
User avatar
spinotter
Posts: 779
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 1:37 am

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:22 pm

Miamiairport wrote:
What were their health conditions? Did these people become so sick they needed hospitalization? I've got news for you an a/c is a dirty environment and I would never, ever take onboard an a/c either a loved elderly family member or family member/friend with serious health issues Irrespective of COVID 19. Planes get a deep clean about once a month. Imagine thousands of different people in your home over a month and only a superficial cleaning.

Again all of you screaming about all the infections supposedly killing paxs and crew are you in favor or the government continually bailing out airlines or 1960s style pricing so that airlines can implement these measures you claim are needed. So for none of you have had the wherewithal to opine.


It would be better for the human race, better for the biosphere, if human beings stop driving and flying around so much. Perhaps Covid-19 will give all of us 8 billion human beings a push in that direction.
 
dcajet
Posts: 4654
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:54 pm

dcajet wrote:
First ever non stop flight between Israel and Argentina, an El Al repatriation flight. 787-8, 4X-ERA.17hs 02mins planned flight time

https://www.flightradar24.com/ELY045/249dd62f


Not only a repatriation flight; it also carried 98 rabbis to Argentina. Turns out the country is short of rabbis to inspect slaughterhouses for kosher certification for onward export to Israel.

https://www.lanacion.com.ar/politica/co ... nid2373099
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
tphuang
Posts: 5067
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:58 pm

dcajet wrote:
dcajet wrote:
First ever non stop flight between Israel and Argentina, an El Al repatriation flight. 787-8, 4X-ERA.17hs 02mins planned flight time

https://www.flightradar24.com/ELY045/249dd62f


Not only a repatriation flight; it also carried 98 rabbis to Argentina. Turns out the country is short of rabbis to inspect slaughterhouses for kosher certification for onward export to Israel.

https://www.lanacion.com.ar/politica/co ... nid2373099


Quite interesting. Before I visited BA, I had no idea what a large Jewish community they had there.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 24514
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:27 pm

Sounds like temperature checks are coming to U.S. airports.

At United employee townhall today, it was mentioned airline is working with government stakeholders about implementing pax temperature checks at the airport. United already screens its frontline employees prior to duty at many locations including all hub cities.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
marcogr12
Posts: 422
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:36 pm

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:08 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Sounds like temperature checks are coming to U.S. airports.

At United employee townhall today, it was mentioned airline is working with government stakeholders about implementing pax temperature checks at the airport. United already screens its frontline employees prior to duty at many locations including all hub cities.


That practically offers no protection..You could be asymptomatic and still spread the virus, you could be having no high temp one day and start the next or you could have slight fever from various other reasons..
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..
 
trex8
Posts: 5554
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:04 am

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:00 pm

marcogr12 wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
Sounds like temperature checks are coming to U.S. airports.

At United employee townhall today, it was mentioned airline is working with government stakeholders about implementing pax temperature checks at the airport. United already screens its frontline employees prior to duty at many locations including all hub cities.


That practically offers no protection..You could be asymptomatic and still spread the virus, you could be having no high temp one day and start the next or you could have slight fever from various other reasons..


Its a lot better than no screening. I had to get some lab tests at the hospital today. They dont let you in the building without a temp check and asking questions about symptoms. When I go to my doctors appointment next week his office has already told me they will do the same when I arrive and they will also ask screening questions day before my appointment and it will be cancelled if I have any symptoms. They also want me to check in with them when I park as they dont want a crowded waiting room if they are running late. Yes I could lie about symptoms but Im not going to and the vast majority of people probably won't either! Nothing is going to be foolproof but there are some precautions one can take to mitigate the risk.
 
dcajet
Posts: 4654
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:05 am

tphuang wrote:
dcajet wrote:
dcajet wrote:
First ever non stop flight between Israel and Argentina, an El Al repatriation flight. 787-8, 4X-ERA.17hs 02mins planned flight time

https://www.flightradar24.com/ELY045/249dd62f


Not only a repatriation flight; it also carried 98 rabbis to Argentina. Turns out the country is short of rabbis to inspect slaughterhouses for kosher certification for onward export to Israel.

https://www.lanacion.com.ar/politica/co ... nid2373099


Quite interesting. Before I visited BA, I had no idea what a large Jewish community they had there.


Largest in Latin America, third in the Americas, behind the US and Canada and fifth in the world.
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
ZaphodHarkonnen
Posts: 1019
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:20 am

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:17 am

So NZ is now starting down going to Level 1 in our 4 level Covid response. For airlines that basically means all restrictions for domestic travel are lifted. There'll be no requirement to do checks, distance, or adjusted cleaning schedules. And at the current rate we're probably looking at going to Level 1 as early as next week.
 
User avatar
UPlog
Posts: 558
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:45 am

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:13 am

While temperature checks are obviously not sure thing to identify those afflicted with Covid, the screening does provide a helpful additional layer of protection for travelers and employees, so yes it should be utilized atleast in the short term while there remains a high level of infection danger.
I fly your boxes
 
alasizon
Posts: 2579
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:22 am

UPlog wrote:
While temperature checks are obviously not sure thing to identify those afflicted with Covid, the screening does provide a helpful additional layer of protection for travelers and employees, so yes it should be utilized atleast in the short term while there remains a high level of infection danger.


It is also a feel-good measure that will encourage more people to travel.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 11104
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:12 am

Qantas and Jetstar will increase domestic flights by the end of the month. Going from about 5% pre COVID-19 levels to around 15% by the end of June

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... ic-flights

Qantas

MEL-SYD - increases from 5 to 46 weekly
BNE-SYD - increases from 5 to 21 weekly
MEL-BNE - increases from 4 to 14 weekly
MEL-PER - remains at 7 weekly
SYD-PER - remains at 7 weekly
ADL-MEL - resumes at 3 weekly
DRW-ASP-SYD remains at 2 weekly
DRW-BNE - remains at 2 weekly
CBR-SYD - increases from 5 to 19 weekly
CBR-MEL - increases from 5 to 16 weekly
CBR-BNE - increases from 5 to 10 weekly
LST-MEL - increases from 2 to 3 weekly
MEL-MQL - increases from 2 to 6 weekly
ADL-PLO - increases from 2 to 6 weekly
ADL-KGC - increases from 2 to 3 weekly
ADL-WYA - increases from 2 to 3 weekly
ABX-SYD - increases from 2 to 6 weekly
ARM-SYD - increases from 2 to 3 weekly
SYD-BNK - new route, 4 weekly
SYD-CFS - 6 weekly non-stop (previously 2 weekly via PQQ)
SYD-DBO, increases from 2 to 6 weekly
SYD-LDH - remains at 1 weekly
SYD-MRZ - resumes at 3 weekly
SYD-PQQ, increases from 2 to 6 weekly
SYD-TMW - increases from 2 to 6 weekly
SYD-WGA - increases from 2 to 6 weekly
PER-ZNE - increases from 2 to 10 weekly
PER-KTA - increases from 2 to 9 weekly
PER-PHE - increases from 2 to 9 weekly (previously via PBO, now non-stop)
PER-BME - increases from 2 to 7 weekly
PER-KGI - increases from 2 to 5 weekly
PER-GET - increases from 2 to 3 weekly
PER-LEA - increases from 2 to 3 weekly
PER-PBO - remains at 2 weekly
BNE-CNS - resumes at 6 weekly
BNE-TSV - resumes at 6 weekly
BNE-EMD - increases from 2 to 6 weekly
BNE-GLT - increases from 2 to 7 weekly
BNE-HVB - resuming at 3 weekly
BNE-LRE - remains at 3 weekly
BNE-MKY - increases from 3 to 10 weekly
BNE-MOV - increases from 3 to 9 weekly
BNE-ISA - increases from 2 to 5 weekly
BNE-ROK - increases from 3 to 11 weekly
BNE-RMA - remains at 4 weekly
CNS-HID - increases from 2 to 3 weekly
CNS-TSV - increases from 6 to 8 weekly
CNS-WEI - increases from 2 to 3 weekly
CVL-RMA, remains at 2 weekly
MKY-ROC, increases from 2 to 5 weekly
MKY-TSV - increase from 3 to 5 weekly
TSV-CNJ-ISA - remains at 3 weekly

Jetstar

MEL-SYD - increases 7 to 21 weekly
BNE-SYD - increase from 7 to 9 weekly
MEL-BNE - increases from 3 to 5 weekly
ADL-MEL - remains at 7 weekly
ADL-SYD - remains at 7 weekly
HBA-MEL - remains at 7 weekly
SYD-BNK - increases from 2 to 4 weekly
MEL-BNK - resumes at 3 weekly
MEL-NTL - resumes at 3 weekly
BNE-CNS - increases from 2 to 3 weekly
BNE-TSV - increases from 2 to 3 weekly
BNE-PPP - resumes at 3 weekly
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
janders
Moderator
Posts: 1104
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:27 pm

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:18 am

ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:
So NZ is now starting down going to Level 1 in our 4 level Covid response. For airlines that basically means all restrictions for domestic travel are lifted. There'll be no requirement to do checks, distance, or adjusted cleaning schedules. And at the current rate we're probably looking at going to Level 1 as early as next week.


That’s great and all, however unless New Zealand will live in a bubble for years to come, the fact is that COVID19 will be reintroduced one way or the other into the country and far more vigorous precautions will need to be adopted.

Cant hide under a rock forever.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle
 
User avatar
PW100
Posts: 4112
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 9:17 pm

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:54 pm

Miamiairport wrote:
The people with a brain like me they aren’t at risk will travel realizing we are putting ourselves at more risk driving to the airport. The people that actually believe the garbage on CNN will stay home hidden under the covers. One thing that would slow down my travel would be 1960s style prices. Those that think airlines can run with 30% load factors, charge current fares and somehow stay in business is astounding.


Wow . . .


Not sure if you are serious. Your claim on Covid requires evidence. It seems to me that without such evidence you would be the one not using brain functionality . . .

I myself like to use the "driving to airport" carries (much) more risk than flight safety. However that is without Covid.

Without any lock down measures, Covid-19 infection rate is about 3. Meaning that each person that has been infected, will infect on average three other persons.

As a result, most countries (USA is no different) have shown that before lock down measures, number of infected persons double every three to five days.

For my country (the Netherlands) that means that (even taking a conservative 5 days doubling), after around 120 - 150 days the whole population will be infected**

** straight calculation shows only 90 days. However once the population infection rate is above 25 %, infection rate per person goes down as more and more persons are already infected and cannot be re-infected.

Worldwide data today shows that 6.5 million people are confirmed infected, with 387 000 deaths. Resulting in death rate of one in 16.8 (!).
This is not accurate as not all infected persons are recorded (and not all corona related deaths are recorded). So let's take the US number as accurate (since Mr. Trump is screaming that China is not reporting accurately, one would expect that his own administration should be much closer to being accurate). US: 1.86 million infected, 107000 deaths --> Death rate one in 17.4. = 5.7%.

That would mean that in say between 100 and 200 days one in 17.3 Americans would die . . .


Off course there's a lot wrong with this back-of-the-envelope calculation. But even when Covid-19 has a fatality rate comparable to a "regular" severe flue (0.5%), and ignoring that flue has effective medicine and vaccines unlike Covid-19 at the moment, then without any lock down measures the USA is still looking at like 7 million deaths in around 6 - 9 month time frame . . . That is several, if not many orders of magnitude away from road safety numbers.

I'm looking forward to your calculation/evidence that Covid-19 is less risky than driving to the airport . . .


PS. I don’t think it is coincidence that those administrations that were longest in denial mode (USA, Russia, Brazil, UK) are now topping the ranks of infections and deaths . . . :

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"
 
ZaphodHarkonnen
Posts: 1019
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:20 am

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:22 pm

janders wrote:
ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:
So NZ is now starting down going to Level 1 in our 4 level Covid response. For airlines that basically means all restrictions for domestic travel are lifted. There'll be no requirement to do checks, distance, or adjusted cleaning schedules. And at the current rate we're probably looking at going to Level 1 as early as next week.


That’s great and all, however unless New Zealand will live in a bubble for years to come, the fact is that COVID19 will be reintroduced one way or the other into the country and far more vigorous precautions will need to be adopted.

Cant hide under a rock forever.


Borders are still open for trade and people can apply for rare exemptions. Also when we drop to level 1 every person entering will not only be quarantined for two weeks but also be tested at least twice. I expect the borders to be 'opened' in a month or so for people who are willing to meet those requirements and pay for their quarantine.

Note there has already been a flight from LAX-WLG non stop to bring in crew for the filming of the Avatar sequels. The passengers are now in a 2 week quarantine being overseen by the relevant parts of the NZ civil service. With costs largely covered by the production company.

So no, NZ won't be in a bubble forever. But we do have an advantage of having it slightly easier to lock down the access points to the country.
 
User avatar
DL747400
Posts: 939
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:04 pm

Airline cabin interior design trends in a post-COVID19 world

Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:05 pm

There are multiple proposed designs in this article:

https://aviationweek.com/air-transport/ ... ign-trends

Some designs are new. Other designs are variations of what we've seen over the past few months. One design really stood out to me at a time when DELTA and other carriers are capping seating in all cabins and blocking middle seats at least through September 30th:

Image

It will be very interesting to see whether any airlines ever actually adopt any of these designs as a bridge until a vaccine is available.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.
 
qm001
Posts: 337
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:25 am

Covid-19 Testing on Arrival or Departure?

Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:11 pm

Given Greece's recent ban of QR, due to the arrival of 12 positive passengers, can one assume they are testing all arrivals?

I heard that VIE is testing arrivals who do not wish to quarantine, at a cost of €190.

Which other countries are testing, and at what cost, to whom? Frankly, I'd much rather be tested before departure, or even entering the airport, but I am curious as to the plans afoot.
I wish there was still a flying boat service on the African Lakes!
 
tnair1974
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:37 pm

Re: COVID-19 News and Reference Thread

Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:27 pm

Outside of the likes of FedEx and UPS, has demand for (passenger) airline small package delivery (Delta DASH, Southwest NFG, Air Canada Expedair, etc) seen a big uptick in use since the start of the pandemic? Even if any increase in small package and larger cargo service may still only be a drop in the bucket compared to the loss of passenger revenue.
 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Posts: 3533
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Re: Covid-19 Testing on Arrival or Departure?

Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:07 am

qm001 wrote:
Given Greece's recent ban of QR, due to the arrival of 12 positive passengers, can one assume they are testing all arrivals?

I heard that VIE is testing arrivals who do not wish to quarantine, at a cost of €190.

Which other countries are testing, and at what cost, to whom? Frankly, I'd much rather be tested before departure, or even entering the airport, but I am curious as to the plans afoot.


Not surprised that Greece would be super risk averse. I could see the price being built into the ticket.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 11104
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:14 am

Some photos of aircraft (British Airways, TUI and EasyJet) parked/stored at LGW

Image

Image

Image

https://twitter.com/SpeedBird_NCL/statu ... 12352?s=20
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 11104
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:15 am

The Australian government is extending the Domestic Aviation Network Support till 30 September (previously only until next week) and the Regional Airline Network Support till 31 December (previous plan was to end on 30 September). Leased airports will also be able to seek partial relief from land tax charges till 31 December 2020

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/aviati ... 881570100z
Forum Moderator
 
ZaphodHarkonnen
Posts: 1019
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:20 am

Re: Covid-19 Testing on Arrival or Departure?

Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:15 am

qm001 wrote:
Given Greece's recent ban of QR, due to the arrival of 12 positive passengers, can one assume they are testing all arrivals?

I heard that VIE is testing arrivals who do not wish to quarantine, at a cost of €190.

Which other countries are testing, and at what cost, to whom? Frankly, I'd much rather be tested before departure, or even entering the airport, but I am curious as to the plans afoot.


When NZ drops to Level 1 in our response process, all arriving passengers will be tested at least twice as part of their 2 week quarantine. The rules for crew will be different and hasn't been announced publicly. NZ will require a 2 week quarantine, the cost likely to be covered by the arriving passenger and they will have to prove they can pay for the quarantine. Likely restricting incoming passengers to business travel or the like.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 11104
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:50 am

MIAT Mongolian 763 at SYD after arriving last night for a repatriation flight

Image

Image

https://twitter.com/www16Right/status/1 ... 88226?s=20
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 11104
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:18 am

Qantas has suspended both the weekly MEL-LAX and 2 weekly MEL-PER-LHR repatriation flights pending on more funding from the government. Virgin has also suspended the weekly BNE-LAX for the same reason

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... os-angeles
Forum Moderator
 
AndoAv8R
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:29 pm

US Airlines/Airports mandating face masks?

Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:02 pm

I've been helping a buddy plan for a trip and I am finding a lot of discrepancies regarding what airports/airlines mandate face masks and what ones are requesting/not required. I wanted to get a thread started to clarify. (I know its a good idea to wear regardless of required or not)

Also unsure for the airports mandating them if they are actually enforcing/how they are enforcing it? (I know in Colorado a lot of places its required but cant be enforced legally).

As an example Charlotte-Douglas says on their website its either mandated or strongly encouraged, so not sure which one is the policy.
 
User avatar
T18
Posts: 492
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:28 am

Re: US Airlines/Airports mandating face masks?

Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:08 pm

Based on what I have from Company,
ORD,DEN,IAH,IAD,SFO, BOS, BWI, DCA, DFW, DTW, LGA, MIA and EWR all require for pax and employees
I'm also fairly sure STL requires as well.
Last publication I have shows CLT does not require them, so I'd bet CLT is still in the waffle phase on the decision making.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971
 
User avatar
DL747400
Posts: 939
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:04 pm

Re: US Airlines/Airports mandating face masks?

Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:15 pm

DL requires all passengers to wear face covering (nose/mouth) and provides one if you arrive at check-in without one.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.
 
User avatar
AirAfreak
Posts: 996
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:20 am

Re: US Airlines/Airports mandating face masks?

Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:16 pm

Make your life easier (and the flying public’s lives safer) by just telling your buddy to wear a mask at all times. It should be a non-issue for him now that it’s easier to purchase a face mask.
Korean Air | Excellence in Flight.
 
Miamiairport
Posts: 585
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:14 pm

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:27 pm

I’ve not be in one airport that has stopped people for not wearing a face mask. That includes MIA, ORD, DFW, CLT, ATL, PHL, LAX, PIT. Given the number of people talking, eating or rushing to a gate it’s impossible. Airlines are requiring them to board.
 
dcajet
Posts: 4654
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:46 pm

It appears Argentina may relax the current ban on domestic & international flights before the currently planned date of September 1st to sometime in July, at least with a reduced domestic services schedule. International flights would remain on hold until September 1st. Airlines would need to cap occupancy at 70% to enforce distancing and passengers would be asked to arrive at the airport an hour earlier than usual to comply with increased checks and on the spot testing. Provincial governors would have to OK service to their jurisdictions.

https://www.lanacion.com.ar/economia/ne ... nid2375753
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
User avatar
UPlog
Posts: 558
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:45 am

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:51 pm

So what does this mean for airlines like American that dumped tons of capacity in markets that opened up early ?


Texas reports a record high number of hospitalized coronavirus patients after the state reopened early
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/texas-r ... early.html

The virus might make a boomerang come back and take the wind out of airlines imo
I fly your boxes
 
ZaphodHarkonnen
Posts: 1019
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:20 am

Re: COVID-19 Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - June 2020

Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:09 pm

NZ is now in Level 1 of our 4 level response. All restrictions on domestic travel are now lifted. For aviation that means no requirement for masks or blocking out middle seats. For international travel the border is still closed. But for returning citizens, permanent residents, or those with a dispensation from the government (think films like Avatar 2), on arrival you will be quarantined in a government approved location for 2 weeks. And as part of that you will be tested for Covid twice.

No new news on a trans tasman bubble, and honestly that's unlikely until Australia can show they've stopped all domestic transmission of it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos