Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Antarius

Re: Why no second commercial airport for Atlanta?

Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:12 pm

n2dru wrote:
Antarius wrote:
n2dru wrote:

The link I posted is from Atlanta Business Chronicle and Coca Cola isn't in the top 5. As stated previously Emory University is the largest employer in the city.

"Coca Cola, Aflac, UPS and The Home Depot employ more ppl in the state. Delta comes in fifth." - Your words.

I also said in the link I provided Coca Cola isn't in the top 5. I corrected myself. Move on, that's all.

As of December 31, 2019, Aflac Japan had 6,178 employees, Aflac U.S. had 4,799 employees, and the Company's other operations had 752 employees.

Per their SEC filing: https://www.sec.gov/ix?doc=/Archives/ed ... 11910k.htm

Fact check, that's all.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

n2dru

Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:16 pm

Antarius wrote:
n2dru wrote:
Antarius wrote:

"Coca Cola, Aflac, UPS and The Home Depot employ more ppl in the state. Delta comes in fifth." - Your words.

I also said in the link I provided Coca Cola isn't in the top 5. I corrected myself. Move on, that's all.

As of December 31, 2019, Aflac Japan had 6,178 employees, Aflac U.S. had 4,799 employees, and the Company's other operations had 752 employees.

Per their SEC filing: https://www.sec.gov/ix?doc=/Archives/ed ... 11910k.htm

Fact check, that's all.

Thank you very much. Enjoy the rest of your day!

NYC-air

Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:10 am

PDK is exactly the sort of airport I'd expect David Neelman to consider with Moxy. Amazing location and there is a Marta stop (Chamblee) within walking distance. Heck if one built a terminal on the north side of the airport you could have a pedestrian bridge to the Marta.

But, of course, there is no terminal there at the moment :(

APhoto

Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:09 am

by the way, what is going on at the google maps satellite 3D image of Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport?
There is barely any airplane visible . From the position of the sun/shadows, it might be noon. any ideas?

https://goo.gl/maps/9McBVanYdsSxYS18A

KFTG

Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:28 am

APhoto wrote:
by the way, what is going on at the google maps satellite 3D image of Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport?
There is barely any airplane visible . From the position of the sun/shadows, it might be noon. any ideas?

https://goo.gl/maps/9McBVanYdsSxYS18A

Google "machine learning" automatically removes the aircraft.

sfjeff

Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:12 am

blockski wrote:
HunterATL wrote:

Some airports completely closed - BWI replaced BAL (which is now a container port). The most recent American is example is DEN replacing Stapleton.

The only examples of small airports emerging are for adding terminals and commercial service to existing airfields, and usually the impact is so small as to be insignificant.

According to the Wikipedia article on Baltimore-Washington International Airport, the airport was named Friendship International Airport with the IATA code of BAL until the airport name was changed to Baltimore-Washington International Airport effective November 16, 1973. However, the IATA code remained BAL until the IATA code change to BWI became effective on October 26, 1980. It is the same airport. I assume from what you said that the code BAL has been reused.
Jeff in Málaga

Trippe747

Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:09 am

n2dru wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
Don’t all the wealthy people live out of the city though? That’s why the braves moved.

That's not why the Braves moved. They wanted upgrades to the old stadium the city wasn't willing to pay for. There is plenty of wealth within the city.

Actually, you're both kind of off on that. The Braves were at an impasse in trying to work with former Mayor Kasim Reed to address some of the challenges in the area of town where Turner Field was located. The location on the south side of the city just below I-20 was an impediment to some fans and there was a rising crime rate in there area. Having been told that they were essentially on their own to deal with the local environment, the Braves negotiated a back room deal with Cobb County's 5 member board in the middle of the night to essentially pull the rip cord on leaving the city for a suburban location (bucking the trend of most stadiums being in an urban location). At the time, the team looked at the concentrations of fans who were coming to the games outside of the City limits. The largest were from Gwinnett and Cobb. Gwinnett is already the home of the AAA affiliate Gwinnett Stripers (formerly Braves), so the team moved to Cobb and built a very impressive campus and regional entertainment destination that has a year round draw beyond the guaranteed (in any other year) 81 home games.

At first, I swore I'd never go to a game. I live in Gwinnett and contemplating that drive to the other side of the perimeter on a Friday after work made my head hurt. Through my wife I was able to get some tickets and realized that it's about the same in time as the old stadium with better logistics leaving the park with multiple access points to the adjacent highways. It was a shame to see them leave the city though. I love being in the stands and looking at skylines in the background. The Braves, in the end, made the best decision for their business needs.
"This is the most important aviation development since Lindbergh's flight. In one fell swoop, we have shrunken the earth." - Juan Trippe

blockski

Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:22 pm

sfjeff wrote:
blockski wrote:
HunterATL wrote:

Some airports completely closed - BWI replaced BAL (which is now a container port). The most recent American is example is DEN replacing Stapleton.

The only examples of small airports emerging are for adding terminals and commercial service to existing airfields, and usually the impact is so small as to be insignificant.

According to the Wikipedia article on Baltimore-Washington International Airport, the airport was named Friendship International Airport with the IATA code of BAL until the airport name was changed to Baltimore-Washington International Airport effective November 16, 1973. However, the IATA code remained BAL until the IATA code change to BWI became effective on October 26, 1980. It is the same airport. I assume from what you said that the code BAL has been reused.

No, I'm talking about the old BAL... Baltimore Municipal Airport, also known as Harbor Field: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore ... al_Airport

The airport, like many, had its start in the 1920s. But the site was inherently constrained and therefore they looked for newer options, which eventually lead to moving airline service to Friendship. The site is now a container port for the Port of Baltimore.

Chasensfo

Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:04 pm

catiii wrote:
Chasensfo wrote:
As others have said, ATL is close to downtown, is large enough to easily accommodate all traffic, and has room to expand if needed.

ATL is also massively inconvenient for anyone north of 285, especialy in the high growth areas of north Cobb, Cherokee, Bartow, Forsyth, and Paulding etc counties. That area could support a smaller second airport. As the Atlanta MPO expands outward ATL is well suited to capture all the growth south of 285, down those 75/85 corridors.

The group that privatized PAE had a plan some years back to do the same at LZU, which fell apart when the community voted out some of the commissioners who were supportive. The Paulding airport would be the most likely candidate given geography, community support, and the ability to expand but Delta has tied it up in litigation for some time.

I agree with that, but I still think if it were to happen that you'd only see the likes of Allegiant and perhaps Frontier or similar, no major airlines offering real connectivity. But I'd love to be wrong, as I am always a fan of route expansion.

dstblj52

Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:25 pm

Chasensfo wrote:
catiii wrote:
Chasensfo wrote:
As others have said, ATL is close to downtown, is large enough to easily accommodate all traffic, and has room to expand if needed.

ATL is also massively inconvenient for anyone north of 285, especialy in the high growth areas of north Cobb, Cherokee, Bartow, Forsyth, and Paulding etc counties. That area could support a smaller second airport. As the Atlanta MPO expands outward ATL is well suited to capture all the growth south of 285, down those 75/85 corridors.

The group that privatized PAE had a plan some years back to do the same at LZU, which fell apart when the community voted out some of the commissioners who were supportive. The Paulding airport would be the most likely candidate given geography, community support, and the ability to expand but Delta has tied it up in litigation for some time.

I agree with that, but I still think if it were to happen that you'd only see the likes of Allegiant and perhaps Frontier or similar, no major airlines offering real connectivity. But I'd love to be wrong, as I am always a fan of route expansion.

I wouldn't expect to see allegiant or frontier fly from that airport because the CPE is going to be higher than Atlanta which means LCC's will avoid it unless it's subsidized by increasing the CPE in Atlanta which would be a political third rail.

Boeing757100

Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:52 pm

What benefit would this new airport have that the ATL doesn't already have?

TTailedTiger

Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:33 pm

I used to think a second airport was needed but not anymore. Delta has abandoned their C and most of their D gates. They could probably consolidate all domestic to the A and B concourse and F is now more than large enough for international flights.

CitrusCritter

Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:24 am

Thinking more along the lines of a Skybus type operation, or at least just Allegiant, how about AHN? Doesn’t do anything for Cobb, but it does for Gwinnett.
- CitrusCritter
Long Live the 717!
XNA

catiii

Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:40 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
I used to think a second airport was needed but not anymore. Delta has abandoned their C and most of their D gates. They could probably consolidate all domestic to the A and B concourse and F is now more than large enough for international flights.

Demand will return at some point. It always does.

strfyr51

Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:19 pm

enilria wrote:
One word answer: Delta

that's right, Delta would revolt if Atlanta were to open a second international airport as Georgia would have to allocate funds away form Hartsfield-Jackson to build and Maintain it. And where would they actually Build it? Out by Marietta? Expand Charlie Brown? It might take a LOT of funds away from Hartsfield-Jackson. So?
Delta isn't about to hear that. and Atlanta isn't about to antagonize them either.

lightsaber

Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:32 pm

[list=][/list]
strfyr51 wrote:
enilria wrote:
One word answer: Delta

that's right, Delta would revolt if Atlanta were to open a second international airport as Georgia would have to allocate funds away form Hartsfield-Jackson to build and Maintain it. And where would they actually Build it? Out by Marietta? Expand Charlie Brown? It might take a LOT of funds away from Hartsfield-Jackson. So?
Delta isn't about to hear that. and Atlanta isn't about to antagonize them either.

For Georgia, it is best to maintain those connections and the jobs and taxes they provide. A second airport only dilutes that. Multiple airports destroy connection opportunities. Atlanta thrives on extreme connection opportunities. It needs a 6th runway and more gates.

Atlanta should be like Denver and Salt Lake City and speed up expansion.

Lightsaber
Flu+Covid19 is bad. Consider a flu vaccine, if not for yourself, to protect someone you care about.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos