Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jamsco99
Topic Author

LGW has 21 departing passengers in 1 day

Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:39 am

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... oronavirus

I'm not too sure what the short term future will be for gatwick, with virgin and delta pulling out and news that wizz want to gain more slots at gatwick could we see it become more of a low cost hub ?

Andy33

Re: LGW has 21 departing passengers in 1 day

Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:44 am

jamsco99 wrote:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/02/eerily-quiet-just-21-passengers-at-gatwick-in-one-day-as-air-traffic-plummets-coronavirus

I'm not too sure what the short term future will be for gatwick, with virgin and delta pulling out and news that wizz want to gain more slots at gatwick could we see it become more of a low cost hub ?

I don't think that a-net users realise just how trivial Virgin (and Delta) were in terms of flight movements at Gatwick. This is a slot controlled airport in normal times and the slot allocation details are available from the slot coordinators ACL.
https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/uploa ... Report.pdf
The numbers represent air traffic movements per week, so divide by two to get arrival/departure pairs and then by seven to get average daily departures.

Had summer 2020 slots operated to plan, Virgin and Delta together would have used just 1.2% of the allocated slots, as against Easyjet with 43%. Wizzair already had the same number of slots as Virgin+Delta..

SueD

Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:45 am

Any more than it already is ?

Easyjet and BA Gatwick , Vueling , Wizz, Ryanair, dominate

Virgin weren’t that large and Delta planned return has be canned .

Virgin on average operated six flight per day , Easy operate that in about twenty minutes under normal conditions !

Leej

Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:30 am

BA will return pretty smart I'm sure - already showing Caribbean flights 01 July (ANU) - I know that can all change of course.

Leej

Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:36 am

Mind you - with just 21 pax, I bet there were still bloody queues at security!

chunhimlai

Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:50 pm

Congratulation

Brickell305

Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:34 pm

Leej wrote:
BA will return pretty smart I'm sure - already showing Caribbean flights 01 July (ANU) - I know that can all change of course.

BA has already relayed to tourism officials there that it intends to restart from LHR.

jomur

Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:24 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
Leej wrote:

BA has already relayed to tourism officials there that it intends to restart from LHR.

No decision has been made,the threat of pulling out was aimed at the Unions. BA would be stupid to give up Gatwick. WW has stated since the threat that Gatwick is good for BA. Any way we would know by now if the where going to pull out, too many flights sold for next year to move all to LHR...

Leej

Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:33 am

jomur wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
Leej wrote:

No decision has been made,the threat of pulling out was aimed at the Unions. BA would be stupid to give up Gatwick. WW has stated since the threat that Gatwick is good for BA. Any way we would know by now if the where going to pull out, too many flights sold for next year to move all to LHR...

Weird - schedules now not showing ex LGW - I thought it was odd when I found them (now nothing at all showing). This is pi**ing a lot of my friends off in ANU who want to get back here. VS have said August back to LHR. I can understand consolidating ops until the dust settles, but poor show BA.

FlyCaledonian

Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:43 pm

Leej wrote:
jomur wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:

Weird - schedules now not showing ex LGW - I thought it was odd when I found them (now nothing at all showing). This is pi**ing a lot of my friends off in ANU who want to get back here. VS have said August back to LHR. I can understand consolidating ops until the dust settles, but poor show BA.

Given the UK Government's instance that anyone arriving from overseas by air will be required to self-quarantine for fourteen days (with random spot checks at the address given and hefty fines for non-compliance) the limited market for reopening flights is further affected by that. Even if you are desperate for a holiday after months of lockdown who is going to fly out to the Caribbean for 7-14 nights, only to have to spend a further 14 nights in quarantine on your return home? Many employers have said that anyone doing that will either have to book 3-4 weeks holiday to cover the trip and quarantine period, or accept that the time in quarantine will be unpaid. As a leisure orientated route the demand for flights to/from ANU won't be huge at the present time.
Let's Go British Caledonian!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos