Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mercure1
Topic Author

Armenia added to EU blacklist

Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:21 pm

European Union prohibits flights by Armenia based carriers following safety assessments that took place in November 2019 and February 2020.

The European Commission today updated the EU Air Safety List, the list of airlines that are subject to an operating ban or operational restrictions within the European Union as they do not meet international safety standards.
Following today’s update, all airlines certified in Armenia have been added to the list, after further assessment of the country’s safety oversight capabilities. This decision follows review of the Armenian Civil Aviation Committee (CAC) and six Armenian air carriers.

https://www.aviation24.be/organisations ... fety-list/
mercure f-wtcc

Thenoflyzone

Re: Armenia added to EU blacklist

Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:13 pm

This is pretty embarrassing for Armenia. Hope they rectify the situation and get off the list as soon as possible.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

davidjohnson6

Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:29 pm

Anyone know details of what Armenia or Armenian carriers were doing wrong beyond some bland "deficiencies in safety procedures and supervision". It seems that the EU gave Armenia plenty of warning - Armenia entered what was publicly described as "higher scrutiny" in December 2019, so the private warnings must have started considerably earlier
https://www.aerotime.aero/clement.charp ... r-scrutiny

mercure1
Topic Author

Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:01 pm

According to a French media report, EU held 6 months of discussions with Armenia related to ongoing safety concerns over its weak certification and regulatory oversight. The nation was added to blacklist when it became apparent Armenia was not making any progress and would be unable to meet the basic international standards.
mercure f-wtcc

cedarjet

Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:54 pm

I’m really surprised. I guess they’re a bit of a basket case economically but this is a developed, functioning nation. Wonder what the issues are?
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Aeroflot777

Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:40 am

This is only my personal opinion, but I recently flew Tbilisi-Yerevan-Moscow on Air Company Armenia’s sole classic 737. Lack of flight options, and trying to evacuate Georgia during COVID-related border closures necessitated a last minute booking. The state of the aircraft was so bad that for the first time in my life, even as an aviation enthusiast normally super excited to try out new and exotic things, I told myself during takeoff that I would not be surprised if we weren’t going to make it. I have never in my life seen a more worn out and decrepit bird. Everything inside was falling apart and falling off, whether off of seats, walls, signage and so forth. The state of the aft lavatory I can’t even begin to describe. 30 minutes into the flight it was the worst bathroom I’ve seen out of all my flights throughout my life. If this is the way they take care of airplane interiors, I will blissfully just close my ears to anyone who wants to explain to me the maintenance on the ground. I’d rather not know. I took a few photos for myself to document the experience and have avoided looking at them since March.

pdxav8r

Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:03 am

Aeroflot777 wrote:
This is only my personal opinion, but I recently flew Tbilisi-Yerevan-Moscow on Air Company Armenia’s sole classic 737. Lack of flight options, and trying to evacuate Georgia during COVID-related border closures necessitated a last minute booking. The state of the aircraft was so bad that for the first time in my life, even as an aviation enthusiast normally super excited to try out new and exotic things, I told myself during takeoff that I would not be surprised if we weren’t going to make it. I have never in my life seen a more worn out and decrepit bird. Everything inside was falling apart and falling off, whether off of seats, walls, signage and so forth. The state of the aft lavatory I can’t even begin to describe. 30 minutes into the flight it was the worst bathroom I’ve seen out of all my flights throughout my life. If this is the way they take care of airplane interiors, I will blissfully just close my ears to anyone who wants to explain to me the maintenance on the ground. I’d rather not know. I took a few photos for myself to document the experience and have avoided looking at them since March.

Do share.

Phosphorus

Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:01 pm

Beautiful country, a lot of under-explored tourist potential, not necessarily stable airline market.
Its flag carriers were going out of business one after another: Armenian Airlines, then Armavia and Air Armenia, all closed. Private operators also don't survive well.
The current flag carrier, Armenia Air Company, does not seem to be doing too well. Two disparate frames, one 737 classic, the other NG. Not a strong basis for long-term success. But apparently, politics dictate that the country needs an airline, as a lifeline to the outside world.
If this airline is in as bad a shape, as other members posit, and is kept in the air, by the regulators, regardless, it might give a clue, why EU has no confidence in the regulator.

Anecdotally, the "exotics of Caucasus" works as a magnet for some tourists. Last autumn, I flew home, from Germany to KBP, with PS (Ukraine International). Found myself surrounded by a group of German retirees, who were on a "Caucasus package tour" -- Armenia+Georgia -- arriving in EVN/Yerevan, touring Armenia by bus, then on to tour Georgia by bus -- with a return flight from TBS/Tbilisi.
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos