Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
dstblj52
Posts: 408
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:38 pm

Re: The future of CLT Airport

Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:48 am

LAX772LR wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
The only true "Southern" hubs are ATL and CLT.

False.

For one to add to that list cause even cranky who knows more about this industry then most people on here basically agrees their are no other viable options in the region.
 
flyinggoat
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:38 am

Re: The future of CLT Airport

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:05 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Which isn't a particularly astute conclusion on their part, considering that that part of the country was once the actual capital of "the South," and it ain't the southcentral, nor southwest.....


I assume you are referring to the Confederacy. The capital of the Confederacy was Montgomery, AL and, later, Richmond, VA. Neither the District of Columbia or Maryland were even part of the Confederacy. So, no, that part of the country was not "once the actual capital of the South". I'm not even sure why you would want to use political boundaries, like the Confederacy, to determine geographical areas. However, seeing as there isn't a clear definition for the "Southeast", you are free to use whatever definition you prefer. If you want to use the Confederate boundaries to define what the "Southeast" is, that's your prerogative, but since neither D.C. or Maryland were a part of the Confederacy, that would contradict your earlier opinion that D.C. and Maryland should be part of the "Southeast".

Just because many other people, including the American Association of Geographers, disagree with YOUR opinion doesn't make them not astute. No offense to you, but I'd rather believe a well respected organization, like The American Association of Geographers. And given the 17 years that I spent in the NC, I can say a whole lot of people living in the Southeast would agree.

LAX772LR wrote:
Which again, makes zilch sense, seeing as multiple Florida gateways handle plenty of domestic transfer all day every day.


Seeing as Florida is in every reasonable definition of the Southeast, I would agree with that. I only brought it up because you said this...

LAX772LR wrote:
Charlotte/Concord/Gastonia isn't even in the top-5 metros for the Southeast.... nor is it second if discounting the Florida metros (which BTW makes no sense).


...which is not fact. Once again, if you left out D.C. and Maryland, and discounted Florida, Charlotte/Concord/Gastonia would be second.

Now, I'd love to see some actual numbers comparing domestic transfers of CLT, ATL, and those Florida gateways. My guess is CLT and ATL will be much higher.

Personally, I don't care what your definition of the "Southeast" is. You could include Idaho for all I care. The only reason I bring any of this up is because you bothered to correct enplaned with information you presented as fact, when in fact, it is just your opinion based on subjective information.

I don't want to go too far off topic here, so I think I'll just leave it at that. I'll bow out of the topic. :smile:
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 13208
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: The future of CLT Airport

Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:38 am

flyinggoat wrote:
Richmond, VA. Neither the District of Columbia or Maryland were even part of the Confederacy. So, no, that part of the country was not "once the actual capital of the South"

You are taking this to the point of absurdity if you're actually going sit here and argue that locations less than 100mi apart are somehow not the same part of the country, in the context of geographic regions. :roll:



flyinggoat wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Which again, makes zilch sense, seeing as multiple Florida gateways handle plenty of domestic transfer all day every day.

Seeing as Florida is in every reasonable definition of the Southeast, I would agree with that. I only brought it up because you said this...
LAX772LR wrote:
Charlotte/Concord/Gastonia isn't even in the top-5 metros for the Southeast.... nor is it second if discounting the Florida metros (which BTW makes no sense).

...which is not fact. Once again, if you left out D.C. and Maryland, and discounted Florida, Charlotte/Concord/Gastonia would be second.

Which, as clearly mentioned, I wouldn't, as there's no logical reason to do so.



flyinggoat wrote:
Now, I'd love to see some actual numbers comparing domestic transfers of CLT, ATL, and those Florida gateways. My guess is CLT and ATL will be much higher.

You're truly asking that in regard to the world's largest hub, which is predominantly domestic?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
flyinggoat
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:38 am

Re: The future of CLT Airport

Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:21 am

LAX772LR wrote:


I think I've made myself abundantly clear in my previous posts, particularly regarding your thoughts on the Confederate capital and the subjective definition of the "Southeast". Rather then cluttering up the thread further, I'll let you, and whomever else wishes, re-read my previous posts. The answers to your last post lie there. I'll let the fine readers of this forum decide for themselves who is being absurd or illogical. :)


Now, back to the topic at hand. If anybody has the number of domestic connections of CLT, ATL, MIA, and MCO; I'd love to see how those airports compare. Thanks!
 
HardeesBiscuit
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:46 am

Re: The future of CLT Airport

Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:26 am

flyinggoat wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:


I think I've made myself abundantly clear in my previous posts, particularly regarding your thoughts on the Confederate capital and the subjective definition of the "Southeast". Rather then cluttering up the thread further, I'll let you, and whomever else wishes, re-read my previous posts. The answers to your last post lie there. I'll let the fine readers of this forum decide for themselves who is being absurd or illogical. :)


Now, back to the topic at hand. If anybody has the number of domestic connections of CLT, ATL, MIA, and MCO; I'd love to see how those airports compare. Thanks!


generally the Mason Dixon line defines north vs. south geography back in the day. That line actually puts Md in the South, and in fact the US Naval Academy was placed in Maryland's capital city of Annapolis to gain a "Southern Influence." Today there is NOTHING southern about MD or Annapolis or DC.
I've lived throughout the region for most of my life, including Maryland, DC, VA, and the Carolinas. What feels Southern today as a description isn't necessarily what it's always been. For the purposes of airline and airport traffic, I'd agree with anyone who says there's no way the DC area can be a Southeastern hub the way ATL or CLT is. Florida feels to many like a whole separate country, it's not got the same characteristics as the south at all.

You're welcome to continue your geography lesson
 
USAirALB
Posts: 2267
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:46 am

Re: The future of CLT Airport

Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:36 am

LAX772LR wrote:
You are taking this to the point of absurdity if you're actually going sit here and argue that locations less than 100mi apart are somehow not the same part of the country, in the context of geographic regions. :roll:

Is New York City considered part of New England because Connecticut is less than 15 miles away from the northern part of the Bronx?

Downtown Albany is roughly 35 miles from Vermont and roughly 30 minutes from Massachusetts. Does that count as New England?
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388
 
n2dru
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:02 am

Re: The future of CLT Airport

Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:33 am

HardeesBiscuit wrote:
flyinggoat wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:


I think I've made myself abundantly clear in my previous posts, particularly regarding your thoughts on the Confederate capital and the subjective definition of the "Southeast". Rather then cluttering up the thread further, I'll let you, and whomever else wishes, re-read my previous posts. The answers to your last post lie there. I'll let the fine readers of this forum decide for themselves who is being absurd or illogical. :)


Now, back to the topic at hand. If anybody has the number of domestic connections of CLT, ATL, MIA, and MCO; I'd love to see how those airports compare. Thanks!


generally the Mason Dixon line defines north vs. south geography back in the day. That line actually puts Md in the South, and in fact the US Naval Academy was placed in Maryland's capital city of Annapolis to gain a "Southern Influence." Today there is NOTHING southern about MD or Annapolis or DC.
I've lived throughout the region for most of my life, including Maryland, DC, VA, and the Carolinas. What feels Southern today as a description isn't necessarily what it's always been. For the purposes of airline and airport traffic, I'd agree with anyone who says there's no way the DC area can be a Southeastern hub the way ATL or CLT is. Florida feels to many like a whole separate country, it's not got the same characteristics as the south at all.

You're welcome to continue your geography lesson


Northern Florida, the panhandle down to Central FL is very southern. Once past the the I-4 corridor I agree that part of FL isn't distinctly southern.
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 10516
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: The future of CLT Airport

Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:02 am

LAX772LR wrote:
flyinggoat wrote:
Now, I'd love to see some actual numbers comparing domestic transfers of CLT, ATL, and those Florida gateways. My guess is CLT and ATL will be much higher.

You're truly asking that in regard to the world's largest hub, which is predominantly domestic?

Perhaps you should do some critical analysis as to why ATL is the largest hub in the world, with CLT also being one of the world’s largest single airline hubs despite both being in metro areas smaller than Miami with less tourist demand to boot. I’ll give you a hint- it’s not just because Atlanta and Charlotte only have one commercial airport to serve their respective metro areas.

For the purpose of this discussion it makes total sense to ignore south Florida despite it being geographically in the Southeast. South Florida hubs are not targeting the same traffic as the likes of ATL and CLT. North Florida could, but only from JAX which is still a rather small airport/city.
 
CanadianRedneck
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:24 pm

Re: The future of CLT Airport

Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:59 pm

Apart from the whole geography debate, I hope to see CLT shrink the O&D gap with ATL in the coming years. Hopefully the satellite terminal is built in the next 10 years and clears way for new taxiways.
 
JohanTally
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:44 am

Re: The future of CLT Airport

Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:50 pm

CanadianRedneck wrote:
Apart from the whole geography debate, I hope to see CLT shrink the O&D gap with ATL in the coming years. Hopefully the satellite terminal is built in the next 10 years and clears way for new taxiways.


I agree with you but judging by the multiple story E concourse expansion happening currently beyond E32 it seems less likely that it will be torn down in 10 years. The best option if keeping E-Concourse as is would be adding the proposed runway east of 18L/36R behind the NC National Guard.
 
bigb
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:30 pm

Re: The future of CLT Airport

Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:55 pm

JohanTally wrote:
CanadianRedneck wrote:
Apart from the whole geography debate, I hope to see CLT shrink the O&D gap with ATL in the coming years. Hopefully the satellite terminal is built in the next 10 years and clears way for new taxiways.


I agree with you but judging by the multiple story E concourse expansion happening currently beyond E32 it seems less likely that it will be torn down in 10 years. The best option if keeping E-Concourse as is would be adding the proposed runway east of 18L/36R behind the NC National Guard.


I seriously don’t think it will be a multi story expansion at the end of E32...
 
WeatherPilot
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:51 am

Re: The future of CLT Airport

Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:22 pm

Went through CLT yesterday, seemed pretty busy. AA kept announcing no food or beverage service on their flights so I went looking for something in the terminal. A lot of places were closed up and the few that were open had a line a mile long; this was mid afternoon. Didn't have the time to wait in line so I just grabbed some candy at a CNBC SmartShop. After boarding my flight though the attendant asked if we wanted something to drink and eat. So???...wth.
 
USAirALB
Posts: 2267
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:46 am

Re: The future of CLT Airport

Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:24 pm

bigb wrote:
JohanTally wrote:
CanadianRedneck wrote:
Apart from the whole geography debate, I hope to see CLT shrink the O&D gap with ATL in the coming years. Hopefully the satellite terminal is built in the next 10 years and clears way for new taxiways.


I agree with you but judging by the multiple story E concourse expansion happening currently beyond E32 it seems less likely that it will be torn down in 10 years. The best option if keeping E-Concourse as is would be adding the proposed runway east of 18L/36R behind the NC National Guard.


I seriously don’t think it will be a multi story expansion at the end of E32...

I don't think it is a multi-story expansion per se but rather an enlarged/elevated expansion that takes advantage of the higher elevation at the end of the concourse that will allow E-Jets to park on the concourse, ultimately removing all Eagle flights from Concourse C.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 14426
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: The future of CLT Airport

Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:33 pm

USAirALB wrote:
bigb wrote:
JohanTally wrote:

I agree with you but judging by the multiple story E concourse expansion happening currently beyond E32 it seems less likely that it will be torn down in 10 years. The best option if keeping E-Concourse as is would be adding the proposed runway east of 18L/36R behind the NC National Guard.


I seriously don’t think it will be a multi story expansion at the end of E32...

I don't think it is a multi-story expansion per se but rather an enlarged/elevated expansion that takes advantage of the higher elevation at the end of the concourse that will allow E-Jets to park on the concourse, ultimately removing all Eagle flights from Concourse C.


Is there a need for more mainline gates during some or all banks? Moving aircraft off of C to E isn't great from a ramp congestion perspective.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
JohanTally
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:44 am

Re: The future of CLT Airport

Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:40 pm

USAirALB wrote:
bigb wrote:
JohanTally wrote:

I agree with you but judging by the multiple story E concourse expansion happening currently beyond E32 it seems less likely that it will be torn down in 10 years. The best option if keeping E-Concourse as is would be adding the proposed runway east of 18L/36R behind the NC National Guard.


I seriously don’t think it will be a multi story expansion at the end of E32...

I don't think it is a multi-story expansion per se but rather an enlarged/elevated expansion that takes advantage of the higher elevation at the end of the concourse that will allow E-Jets to park on the concourse, ultimately removing all Eagle flights from Concourse C.


I am currently 250 ft away from the construction and they are still working on an elevator shaft that I can't quite tell if it's two stories or three stories. There have been three different proposals a one-story a two-story and a three-story expansion. The fact that they are putting in an Elevator would hint at a multiple story section of the Concourse. If I can ever figure out how to upload pictures I would gladly keep everyone updated.
 
bigb
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:30 pm

Re: The future of CLT Airport

Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:04 pm

USAirALB wrote:
bigb wrote:
JohanTally wrote:

I agree with you but judging by the multiple story E concourse expansion happening currently beyond E32 it seems less likely that it will be torn down in 10 years. The best option if keeping E-Concourse as is would be adding the proposed runway east of 18L/36R behind the NC National Guard.


I seriously don’t think it will be a multi story expansion at the end of E32...

I don't think it is a multi-story expansion per se but rather an enlarged/elevated expansion that takes advantage of the higher elevation at the end of the concourse that will allow E-Jets to park on the concourse, ultimately removing all Eagle flights from Concourse C.


Don’t think you’ll see E-Jets at the end of E. The elevation change isn’t that big of a difference. The plans calls for just a single story expansion that will do away with folks walking outside to a/c. Expect something similar to the E14 and E16 expansion.
 
bigb
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:30 pm

Re: The future of CLT Airport

Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:11 pm

JohanTally wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
bigb wrote:

I seriously don’t think it will be a multi story expansion at the end of E32...

I don't think it is a multi-story expansion per se but rather an enlarged/elevated expansion that takes advantage of the higher elevation at the end of the concourse that will allow E-Jets to park on the concourse, ultimately removing all Eagle flights from Concourse C.


I am currently 250 ft away from the construction and they are still working on an elevator shaft that I can't quite tell if it's two stories or three stories. There have been three different proposals a one-story a two-story and a three-story expansion. The fact that they are putting in an Elevator would hint at a multiple story section of the Concourse. If I can ever figure out how to upload pictures I would gladly keep everyone updated.


Could be upstairs offices similar to the elevate that leads up to Offices similar across from Burger King.

https://www.cltairport.com/News/Pages/D ... jects.aspx

I am sure that I’ll be passing through CLT next month when I pick up a trip to maintain currency. I’ll be interested to see the progress.
 
USAirALB
Posts: 2267
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:46 am

Re: The future of CLT Airport

Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:13 pm

bigb wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
bigb wrote:

I seriously don’t think it will be a multi story expansion at the end of E32...

I don't think it is a multi-story expansion per se but rather an enlarged/elevated expansion that takes advantage of the higher elevation at the end of the concourse that will allow E-Jets to park on the concourse, ultimately removing all Eagle flights from Concourse C.


Don’t think you’ll see E-Jets at the end of E. The elevation change isn’t that big of a difference. The plans calls for just a single story expansion that will do away with folks walking outside to a/c. Expect something similar to the E14 and E16 expansion.

From the airport website:

"This expansion will also enable larger regional aircraft to utilize the concourse due to the rising elevation on the north end and up-gauging of regional aircraft."

'Larger regional aircraft to utilize the concourse' implies that the expansion would allow larger aircraft to access the concourse than presently possible. Not trying to argue, but just what the airport says and what I have been told. Plans may very well change.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos