Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Miami
Topic Author

Rumor: Richard Anderson to replace Doug Parker at AA

Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:37 pm

Title says it all. No link. No source. But heard from multiple people I know these past few days from folks at AA and DL of what they’ve been hearing.

For those who don’t know who Richard Anderson is; he’s the former CEO at Delta.

Supposedly happening at the end of the year.

Thoughts?

- Miami
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

WA707atMSP

Re: Rumor: Richard Anderson to replace Doug Parker at AA

Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:43 pm

The rumors about Doug leaving AA have been on this web site at least once a month since the merger. I'll believe it when it actually happens.

hayzel777

Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:45 pm

Must be that one FA that "knows it all" telling everyone in the break room! Or it might be the ramper that just so happens to be privy to the BOD's decisions letting his friends know! Extremely reliable sources!!! :white:

Ishrion

Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:47 pm

So he’s with Amtrak right now?

graham697

Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:59 pm

Ishrion wrote:

No he left under somewhat pecuilar circumstances.

wjcandee

Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:03 am

And they replaced him with the head of Atlas Air.

Replacing Parker is another internet wet dream. He put the thing together. He's well in control. And some people like him.

If Anderson wanted still to have all the headaches -- I mean "joys" -- of being the CEO of an airline, he would still be running Delta.

randomdude83

Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:09 am

what could he possibly do better than what parker is doing? lets just discuss that instead

Flflyer83

Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:13 am

hayzel777 wrote:
Must be that one FA that "knows it all" telling everyone in the break room! Or it might be the ramper that just so happens to be privy to the BOD's decisions letting his friends know! Extremely reliable sources!!! :white:

That would be a pilot that knows it all... the FA just regurgitates what the pilots say as far as rumors go. You don’t mess with the all-mighty ones in the front end.

SteelChair

Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:21 am

randomdude83 wrote:
what could he possibly do better than what parker is doing? lets just discuss that instead

Um, everything? Parker is a train wreck and RA is a very shrewd operator indeed. He doesn't just do win-wins. He does win-win-wins.

Like replacing 367 seat 747-400s with 306 seat A350s that burn 45% less fuel and also takes excess seats out of the marketplace. And then sign a deal with RR (stolen from AA I believe) to insource large engine overhauls. Just one deal he did.

afcjets

Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:24 am

I can't help but think the BOD wanted to replace him before all this happened. He lost money flying passengers 4Q18 in the greatest economy on record in a year where Delta made $8 billion.

11C

Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:31 am

Flflyer83 wrote:
hayzel777 wrote:

That would be a pilot that knows it all... the FA just regurgitates what the pilots say as far as rumors go. You don’t mess with the all-mighty ones in the front end.

Maybe my airline is different. In my experience pilots are nearly always wrong about big announcements. There is always a dedicated group of rumor-mongers, but they are usually full of crap. Maybe pilot committee members and pilot managers take the NDA’s more seriously, and don’t spread the info before it is announced. It may work differently at other airlines.

gen2stew

Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:37 am

Anything that replaces the dumpster fire that is DOUGIE is a good thing. I'm still in the BBB camp (bring bob back).
I don't know why blessings wear disguises. If I were a blessing, I'd run around nude!

DiamondFlyer

Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:40 am

graham697 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

No he left under somewhat pecuilar circumstances.

I don't think his departure from Amtrak was peculiar at all, he'd been there around 3 years. It's not uncommon for the President of Amtrak to only serve 3 years, and Richard leaving Amtrak was for the best for the rail service in America.
From my cold, dead hands

LAXintl

Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:42 am

Rumor at Amtrak was he stepped down due to health issues.

Also if he was headed to AA, I seriously doubt BoD would have approved and rolled out the senior executive changes last week. It would have been left to the incoming CEO to design the executive structure to his liking.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

usdcaguy

Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:24 am

I doubt Richard would want the big mess at AA. He might have wanted it 15 years ago, but my guess is that he wants to be permanently retired.

Confuscius

Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:31 am

I thought Richard Anderson left Amtrak for Greyhound.
Ain't I a stinker?

MIflyer12

Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:34 am

Miami wrote:

In these 'It's time for you to go' moves the new guy is usually named immediately. I'm suspicious for a bunch of other reasons, many of which have been stated already.

JohnAudiR18

Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:38 am

it's no Bob Crandle, but maybe just maybe this guy can stop pivoting AA into a legacy ULLCC.....

usflyer msp

Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:49 am

A) Richard Anderson is not coming to AA
B) Richard Anderson is not some super shrewd dude, he was able to perform at Delta due to the lack of Unions.

Italianflyer

Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:49 am

Interesting.....but if I were 65 with a string of accomplishments I dont know if I'd be looking to fight a kraken. Anyone who sits on the c-suites at any airline these days is looking at 90 hour weeks with dynamic conditions that make yesterday's strategy moot. I'm barely 40 and sounds awful.

F9Animal

Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:56 am

I have serious doubts about DP being replaced. AA has indeed lost its identity, but the airline is far from being a 'dumpster fire." The potential AA has is insane, and I do think AA needs to eventually consider a serious revamp for it's entire image. They certainly could use some help in marketing and advertising as well.

Don't even get me started on what UA needs to do in the same areas. If I had to choose between the 2 airlines offering the same price? I would actually choose UA.

When things get healthy again, I know a few airlines that could use a serious revamp of their branding. More investment in the passenger experience wouldn't be a bad start.
I Am A Different Animal!!

ikolkyo

Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:01 am

RA really does get around...

NYCAAer

Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:13 am

gen2stew wrote:
Anything that replaces the dumpster fire that is DOUGIE is a good thing. I'm still in the BBB camp (bring bob back).

You and me both! The best CEO American ever had, along with Mr. C.R., of course. All of AA’s strengths here in 2020 are the result of his tenure- AAdvantage (although the program is much devalued now, according to what customers tell me), the LHR slots, and South America. Although I doubt he wants to come back. He’s still sharp as a tack when he’s interviewed on CNBC, he’s on the network often, and it’s comforting hearing his distinctive voice.

That being said, I don’t think Richard Anderson is taking the helm of AA.

VS11

Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:31 am

NYCAAer wrote:
gen2stew wrote:

You and me both! The best CEO American ever had, along with Mr. C.R., of course. All of AA’s strengths here in 2020 are the result of his tenure- AAdvantage (although the program is much devalued now, according to what customers tell me), the LHR slots, and South America. Although I doubt he wants to come back. He’s still sharp as a tack when he’s interviewed on CNBC, he’s on the network often, and it’s comforting hearing his distinctive voice.

Crandall is 84. He ain’t coming back. Besides, unless he has some magical healing powers, he can’t do much about the root cause of the current situation. As to RA, he came from Northwest which had a horrible reputation for labor relations. It is also not clear what problems RA would be solving that DP can’t.

BNAMealer

Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:16 am

F9Animal wrote:
I have serious doubts about DP being replaced. AA has indeed lost its identity, but the airline is far from being a 'dumpster fire." The potential AA has is insane, and I do think AA needs to eventually consider a serious revamp for it's entire image. They certainly could use some help in marketing and advertising as well.

Don't even get me started on what UA needs to do in the same areas. If I had to choose between the 2 airlines offering the same price? I would actually choose UA.

When things get healthy again, I know a few airlines that could use a serious revamp of their branding. More investment in the passenger experience wouldn't be a bad start.

If AA would fix their customer service and hard/soft product, everything else would fall into place. That needs to be the top priority for any new AA CEO.

Their network needs some work too, but that’s not nearly as big of a deal as those two things.

Atlwarrior

Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:53 am

I thought RA is a Delta board member; furthermore some I'm sure he is under some kind of contract not to take a job as the CEO of another airline to protect Delta's internal management secrets.

Antarius

Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:54 am

BNAMealer wrote:
F9Animal wrote:

If AA would fix their customer service and hard/soft product, everything else would fall into place. That needs to be the top priority for any new AA CEO.

Their network needs some work too, but that’s not nearly as big of a deal as those two things.

IMO it is reliability and customer service. The domestic product is lousy, but not that much different than the competition. Their hard product on longhaul is better than the US3 and available on all aircraft unlike the nythical Polaris and in progress DL one. DL gets accolades, but has basically the same sardine can configuration domestically; the difference is made up by their soft product and reliability. World of a difference.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

jetawayusa

Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:55 am

Didn't he leave with a no compete clause? I had heard RA left delta before the last US election thinking that Hilary was going to win the presidency and she was going to Name RA as the head of Transportation for her administration. Needless to say that did not happen.... and the Amtrax job became available. I don't see RA is fit as the CEO at AA...perhaps a board member!

UA444

Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:56 am

Can he take over UA?

RemoFlyer

Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:06 am

I'm a little confused: I recently read here that AA would be liquidated, along with a detailed description of how each hub would be distributed among the surviving airlines; why would they need a new CEO now?

:lol: :rotfl:

atcsundevil

Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:47 am

Please discuss the rumored topic. If it doesn't interest you, you're free to post elsewhere.

✈️ atcsundevil

jodieellis

Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:47 am

If AA is re-hiring this ex DL CEO, hope he makes AA better like the way he did in DL.

LAX772LR

Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:55 am

SteelChair wrote:
RA is a very shrewd operator indeed. He doesn't just do win-wins. He does win-win-wins.

Like replacing 367 seat 747-400s with 306 seat A350s that burn 45% less fuel and also takes excess seats out of the marketplace.

376 seats, and that's called common sense... in essentially all circles other than AvGeek. Not really some stroke of genius.

usflyer msp wrote:
he was able to perform at Delta due to the lack of Unions.

First, that's not true. In fact, DL had one more union than it has currently, at the time Anderson came on board.

But just for amusement: what exactly do you believe that has to do with it?
And while you're at it, explain why WN has similarly competent labor relations despite being heavily unionized in almost every aspect.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Sancho99504

Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:06 am

Antarius wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
F9Animal wrote:

IMO it is reliability and customer service. The domestic product is lousy, but not that much different than the competition. Their hard product on longhaul is better than the US3 and available on all aircraft unlike the nythical Polaris and in progress DL one. DL gets accolades, but has basically the same sardine can configuration domestically; the difference is made up by their soft product and reliability. World of a difference.

The biggest reason why customer service is so bad is that the policies that have been put into place since the US AOC was dissolved, rules are rules. Whereas, UA and DL have told their people to do what's in the best interest of the customer in regards to earning their business again. It literally takes an act of God at AA.

Delta has the better economy product across the board. AA generally has a better premium product, with the 77W having the best premium cabin.
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC

TYWoolman

Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:04 am

Perhaps to work towards a Delta-American merger. There. It has been said.

chonetsao

Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:12 am

TYWoolman wrote:
Perhaps to work towards a Delta-American merger. There. It has been said.

What could that merger achieve? And who is to benefits? So that Delta just got rid of their B777 fleet in exchange of more than 50 B777s (200+300)? And AA to just got rid of their A333's for even more A330 (now 200,300 and 900)?

jersey777

Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:40 am

NYCAAer wrote:
gen2stew wrote:

I'll never understand flight attendants that look at Bob Crandall with rose colored glasses. Do you not remember November 1993 when he relished the thought of the flight attendants go on strike?....or how he implemented B scale to all work groups and the division it caused within the work groups. The guy was no friend of labor and he basically grew the airline in the 80's on the backs of b scale. I don't miss him one bit.

xdlx

Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:08 am

BOD would be incredibly smart if they could bring Neelman, to save AA

jfk777

Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:12 am

SteelChair wrote:
randomdude83 wrote:

Um, everything? Parker is a train wreck and RA is a very shrewd operator indeed. He doesn't just do win-wins. He does win-win-wins.

Like replacing 367 seat 747-400s with 306 seat A350s that burn 45% less fuel and also takes excess seats out of the marketplace. And then sign a deal with RR (stolen from AA I believe) to insource large engine overhauls. Just one deal he did.

AA & RR had an engine overhaul Joint Venture at the Alliance airport near DFW. When AA put the RR engines on their 777-200ER fleet this was created, the JV ended. Delta is acquiring a large Rolls engine fleet with their A350-900 & A330-900 so maybe AA had some extra Rolls stuff it didn't need any more since AA's 787 have GE engines.

MIflyer12

Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:33 am

Atlwarrior wrote:
I thought RA is a Delta board member...

He isn't. The names of the Board of Directors of American publicly-traded companies will be documented. You'll typically get bios (to suggest why they're qualified to work on the Board), too.

https://ir.delta.com/governance/default ... -directors

BNAMealer

Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:30 pm

Antarius wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
F9Animal wrote:

In a lot of ways, I consider operational reliability and customer service the same category. Being on time is one of the best ways to serve your customers well.

AA's domestic F is worse than DL/UA. I could see the case for Y being the same, although DL's little investments in planes like the A220 (which is very comfortable) go a long way. AA could learn from that.

Improving reliability, service and comfort need to be the top priorities if AA wants to repair their image. Management, especially Doug, needs to be replaced in order for that to happen.

enilria

Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:42 pm

xdlx wrote:
BOD would be incredibly smart if they could bring Neelman, to save AA

Neeleman has shown he is average at running an ongoing company. He is the best in the industry at starting airlines, however. The skills are not the same.

Miami wrote:
Title says it all. No link. No source. But heard from multiple people I know these past few days from folks at AA and DL of what they’ve been hearing.

For those who don’t know who Richard Anderson is; he’s the former CEO at Delta.

Thoughts?

- Miami

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is wishful thinking that we have heard all the way back to HP. He made HP into AA. I don't see him being cast aside. Even if they wanted to I'm sure he has protected himself quite well against that. In terms of Labor's wishes...they have wanted him out since HP.

ethernal

Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:36 pm

enilria wrote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is wishful thinking that we have heard all the way back to HP. He made HP into AA. I don't see him being cast aside. Even if they wanted to I'm sure he has protected himself quite well against that. In terms of Labor's wishes...they have wanted him out since HP.

I honestly don't know enough about how strong Doug's alliances are on the Board (or enough about AA/Doug overall), but I don't necessarily think that "he made HP into AA" gives him a bulletproof vest. Quite the contrary actually - a good BoD recognizes that the leader that builds an empire is often not the one it takes to optimally manage it.

Beyond the BoD, stockholders are a fickle bunch. Honestly, COVID-19 is going to give him a stay of execution if anything (assuming AA avoids bankruptcy) - it sort of reset the clock on getting performance closer to peer level.

I agree with the other posters that AA's biggest issue is reliability and customer experience/focus. Their hard product could use some help in some areas but that is not their biggest issue. Unfortunately, the most challenging capabilities to build are customer-focus and then good operations. If AA's issue was hard product, that could easily be fixed with some capex. The other two require cultural change - which is notoriously difficult at even the most well-run companies.

southwest1675

Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:15 pm

AA hasn’t had a good CEO since Bob Crandall. Pretty sad.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

alasizon

Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:54 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
Antarius wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

In a lot of ways, I consider operational reliability and customer service the same category. Being on time is one of the best ways to serve your customers well.

AA's domestic F is worse than DL/UA. I could see the case for Y being the same, although DL's little investments in planes like the A220 (which is very comfortable) go a long way. AA could learn from that.

Improving reliability, service and comfort need to be the top priorities if AA wants to repair their image. Management, especially Doug, needs to be replaced in order for that to happen.

How do you figure AA domestic F is worse than DL/UA; are you talking hard or soft product? AA has better pitch than DL and better seats than UA.

Improving operational reliability isn't something that AA needs Richard Anderson to do (or any new CEO for that matter); there are plenty of capable leaders at AA that can step up and start making the required efforts; but it isn't just management that needs to step up and we know that. It is every single person in the chain that has to want to do better.

Customer service struggles but I don't believe at all that is a Doug issue; the customer care frontline staff has no real direction and the bad apples are both LUS and LAA (and even some post-merger).

What would bringing in RA do to solve these problems?
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

BNAMealer

Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:10 pm

alasizon wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
Antarius wrote:

How do you figure AA domestic F is worse than DL/UA; are you talking hard or soft product? AA has better pitch than DL and better seats than UA.

Improving operational reliability isn't something that AA needs Richard Anderson to do (or any new CEO for that matter); there are plenty of capable leaders at AA that can step up and start making the required efforts; but it isn't just management that needs to step up and we know that. It is every single person in the chain that has to want to do better.

Customer service struggles but I don't believe at all that is a Doug issue; the customer care frontline staff has no real direction and the bad apples are both LUS and LAA (and even some post-merger).

What would bringing in RA do to solve these problems?

1. I never said anything about RA being the right guy here, all I said was there needs to be a management change at the top. Improving customer service requires a culture change, and that starts at the top. You have to motivate people to do their best, and AA is not doing that at the moment.

2. Clearly, the current leaders aren't capable of fixing operational reliability because they would've done so by now. Yes, it may have improved a bit at the end of last year, but it is still not good. Again, you need a culture change to fix this and it starts at the top.

3. The Project Oasis F is by far the worst domestic F of the US3.

Not saying everything will be fixed if Doug is booted tomorrow, but installing a new CEO is the first step needed to fixing the AA culture. AA should be the premier US airline, it is not because of mismanagement. And yes, to be fair, some of it dates back pre-merger AA/US as well.

DarkSnowyNight

Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:29 pm

enilria wrote:

Depends which labor we are talking about. PmAA fairly begged him to come on board. Not that they are known for their consitency...
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

Nola

Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:00 pm

jetawayusa wrote:
Didn't he leave with a no compete clause? I had heard RA left delta before the last US election thinking that Hilary was going to win the presidency and she was going to Name RA as the head of Transportation for her administration. Needless to say that did not happen.... and the Amtrax job became available. I don't see RA is fit as the CEO at AA...perhaps a board member!

Wasn't his departure from DL much quicker than originally contemplated? I think he was supposed to stay on the board for a year or more after he retired as CEO but then he left quickly. Any word as to what was going on there?

Nola

Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:06 pm

jetawayusa wrote:

B757Forever

Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:07 pm

Nola wrote:
jetawayusa wrote:

Wasn't his departure from DL much quicker than originally contemplated? I think he was supposed to stay on the board for a year or more after he retired as CEO but then he left quickly. Any word as to what was going on there?

The rumor / speculation at the time of his departure is that he had been tapped to be the Secretary of Transportation for the Hillary Clinton administration.
The Rolls Royce Dart. Noise = Shaft Horsepower.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos