Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ethernal

Re: Rumor: Richard Anderson to replace Doug Parker at AA

Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:44 pm

alasizon wrote:
Improving operational reliability isn't something that AA needs Richard Anderson to do (or any new CEO for that matter); there are plenty of capable leaders at AA that can step up and start making the required efforts; but it isn't just management that needs to step up and we know that. It is every single person in the chain that has to want to do better.

Who is responsible for making sure that the right leaders you mention that are required to instill change are in senior leadership positions? It is 100% management's responsibility to step up. Are you trying to say that somehow the buck stops with.. the front line workers? You're joking, right? Of course front line workers are important to the outcome, but it is management (senior and middle)'s responsibility to enable those workers for success.

Everyone "wants to do better" - with rare exception, no one goes to work wanting to do a crappy job. Front line workers - for the most part - are beaten down over time by management that is not responsive or does not enable them to be successful. Only leadership has the ability to change the environment in such a way to make front line workers responsible. Is this easy? No, of course not! But that is why it takes the right leadership - all the way up to top - to focus the organization to start solving these problems.

Customer service struggles but I don't believe at all that is a Doug issue; the customer care frontline staff has no real direction and the bad apples are both LUS and LAA (and even some post-merger).

You.. you don't see an issue with an airline that consistently creates unhappy and discouraged frontline workers - past, present, and presumably future - as being a leadership issue? I mean really?

What would bringing in RA do to solve these problems?

No idea whether RA is the right person for the role (probably not), but a new leader that resets the organization's priorities (where investment goes, what is measured, and what is emphasized in communication) would be more likely to drive change than just blaming "bad apples" on the front lines.

alasizon

Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:10 pm

ethernal wrote:
alasizon wrote:
Improving operational reliability isn't something that AA needs Richard Anderson to do (or any new CEO for that matter); there are plenty of capable leaders at AA that can step up and start making the required efforts; but it isn't just management that needs to step up and we know that. It is every single person in the chain that has to want to do better.

Who is responsible for making sure that the right leaders you mention that are required to instill change are in senior leadership positions? It is 100% management's responsibility to step up. Are you trying to say that somehow the buck stops with.. the front line workers? You're joking, right? Of course front line workers are important to the outcome, but it is management (senior and middle)'s responsibility to enable those workers for success.

Everyone "wants to do better" - with rare exception, no one goes to work wanting to do a crappy job. Front line workers - for the most part - are beaten down over time by management that is not responsive or does not enable them to be successful. Only leadership has the ability to change the environment in such a way to make front line workers responsible. Is this easy? No, of course not! But that is why it takes the right leadership - all the way up to top - to focus the organization to start solving these problems.

By no means am I saying the fault lies with the frontline team members and those alone. Successful change doesn't start just at the top; when all leadership does is push change down onto employees, it often isn't successful if you don't get the buy-in and commitment from those frontline team members.Likewise, employees need to have a voice to discuss what they believe should change (and it has to be constructive, not just additional compensation).

And no, not everyone wants to do better. Most (50%-60%) people are content with just doing their job and have no desire to change on their own whether it be due to fear, uncertainty or lack of motivation.

ethernal wrote:
Customer service struggles but I don't believe at all that is a Doug issue; the customer care frontline staff has no real direction and the bad apples are both LUS and LAA (and even some post-merger).

You.. you don't see an issue with an airline that consistently creates unhappy and discouraged frontline workers - past, present, and presumably future - as being a leadership issue? I mean really?

I didn't say it wasn't a leadership issue, I just said it wasn't a Doug issue, there are a lot of layers between Doug and the passengers; some of which make a much bigger difference in the customer service experience than Doug ever could in his role. A majority of the frontline staff (including above-wing CSMs), have no real direction and many are just there to be there. It is really telling when you can fly AA and consistently get better service and care from the Envoy/Piedmont employees as opposed to the Mainline CSAs. Are there exceptions to that? Sure. However, a lot of the employees don't have that sense of purpose in their day to day work. That comes from frontline and middle management, not Doug.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

S0Y

Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:27 pm

:stirthepot: I hear Willie Walsh is looking for a new challenge this fall

OB1504

Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:05 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
A) Richard Anderson is not coming to AA
B) Richard Anderson is not some super shrewd dude, he was able to perform at Delta due to the lack of Unions.

It's easy for bad leadership to blame their people.

enilria wrote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is wishful thinking that we have heard all the way back to HP. He made HP into AA. I don't see him being cast aside. Even if they wanted to I'm sure he has protected himself quite well against that. In terms of Labor's wishes...they have wanted him out since HP.

I would argue that he made AA into HP, and that's a bad thing.

strfyr51

Re: Rumor: Richa,rd Anderson to replace Doug Parker at AA

Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:45 pm

randomdude83 wrote:
what could he possibly do better than what parker is doing? lets just discuss that instead

American has one of the best route systems in the world but they kept all of the USAir hubs as well. So? they haven't really built on to their Strengths as they're all over the place. Eastern Hubs. PHL, JFK,CLT, RDU. they need to go in Big on their Eastern Gateway, DFW, Could you get a better central hub? ORD, They helped build ORD into a powerhouse. PHX, Could and should Rival what UAL and WN are doing at DEN.. LAX,& SEA? LAX? Nobody dominates LAX, And neither will American. SEA? there they could have a moneymaker if they do what needs to BE done and exploit it to the fullest to Asia, Delta won't even do that as they'd like to outsource their pacific flying that they've wasted since taking over Northwest (Orient).. I don't believe they even Have a Pacific Strategy to speak of which is a damn shame as NWA was a powerhouse In the Pacific and Asia. in short? American is NOT what they could be, Or should be as I believe they could be so much More. They got rid of a lot of guys who like Delta? Are now running United and they're running the place with a "Vengence" !

VS11

Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:46 pm

OB1504 wrote:
I would argue that he made AA into HP, and that's a bad thing.

AA obviously could not sustain itself doing business as AA. Whatever you think it has been made into, it has been driven by the marketplace i.e. the people who pay.

Insertnamehere

Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:52 pm

alasizon wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
Antarius wrote:

IMO it is reliability and customer service. The domestic product is lousy, but not that much different than the competition. Their hard product on longhaul is better than the US3 and available on all aircraft unlike the nythical Polaris and in progress DL one. DL gets accolades, but has basically the same sardine can configuration domestically; the difference is made up by their soft product and reliability. World of a difference.

In a lot of ways, I consider operational reliability and customer service the same category. Being on time is one of the best ways to serve your customers well.

AA's domestic F is worse than DL/UA. I could see the case for Y being the same, although DL's little investments in planes like the A220 (which is very comfortable) go a long way. AA could learn from that.

Improving reliability, service and comfort need to be the top priorities if AA wants to repair their image. Management, especially Doug, needs to be replaced in order for that to happen.

How do you figure AA domestic F is worse than DL/UA; are you talking hard or soft product? AA has better pitch than DL and better seats than UA.

What would bringing in RA do to solve these problems?

For the customer-service aspect, im sorry but it is a Doug issue. The buck stops with him and its on him to fix any issues concerning customer care. Its obvious that AA front line don't respect or don't trust AA upper-management, as such they don't care about their job or loyalty to American. From an outsiders perspective it has seemed that Doug and the rest of the American BoD have done little to nothing to help fix the issues at American leading it to become more mediocre than United.

American right after it left bankruptcy and the merger was going on bringing in things like the 77W, A321T, and bringing on PTVs they were doing a lot for the customers and really investing hard into the customer experience. In the last 4 years though? That's all gone by the waist side in favor of rock bottom prices, rock bottom experience, and rock bottom service.

Thats not to say nothing good has happened, the new PE looks good, and flagship first dining is a hit. But their lounges are still iffy, they lost a lot of customer faith, and have failed to create a more premium image to garner a price premium (Delta for example, is seen as a better airline, and so people are willing to spend a few dollars more to fly Delta over another, not much, but it exists).

As a disclaimer for any bias, I used to hold American Platinum for a number of years, and United Gold, but currently fly Delta or Jetblue whenever possible.

Airbuser

Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:37 pm

Mr. Parker is way better than Carty, Arpey, and Horton. He has done a nice job during this Covid crisis and I loved his Southwest Flight Attendant story. He still needs more time. The full realization of the merger needs to come to fruition first. Remember the mechanics just signed a couple months ago. I have a new appreciation for him and like the moves he made in upper management. Finally a big move was made. Time will tell if Mr. Anderson will be tapped.

clrd4t8koff

Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:30 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
American has one of the best route systems in the world but they kept all of the USAir hubs as well. So? they haven't really built on to their Strengths as they're all over the place. Eastern Hubs. PHL, JFK,CLT, RDU. they need to go in Big on their Eastern Gateway, DFW, Could you get a better central hub? ORD, They helped build ORD into a powerhouse. PHX, Could and should Rival what UAL and WN are doing at DEN.. LAX,& SEA? LAX? Nobody dominates LAX, And neither will American. SEA? there they could have a moneymaker if they do what needs to BE done and exploit it to the fullest to Asia, Delta won't even do that as they'd like to outsource their pacific flying that they've wasted since taking over Northwest (Orient).. I don't believe they even Have a Pacific Strategy to speak of which is a damn shame as NWA was a powerhouse In the Pacific and Asia. in short? American is NOT what they could be, Or should be as I believe they could be so much More. They got rid of a lot of guys who like Delta? Are now running United and they're running the place with a "Vengence" !

Did I miss something....when did RDU become a hub for AA? And when did DFW suddenly become considered an Eastern hub?? DFW is in the South Central US, west of the Mississippi and in the central time zone. When did that = eastern??

Also - JFK has practically been dismantled and is merely just an outstation at this point. I’m pretty sure pre-COVID even BOS was a larger station with more flights on AA than JFK. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Wacker1000

Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:09 am

ethernal wrote:
alasizon wrote:

You have a bunch of people that "want" but think they know better than management and do whatever they please. It doesn't work.

COEWR787

Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:13 am

graham697 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
So he’s with Amtrak right now?

No he left under somewhat pecuilar circumstances.

Nothing peculiar. He had a three year contract which ran its course. He collected his performance bonus and left, back to retired life, whence he came from. He was apparently not expected to stay longer by anyone.

BNAMealer

Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:16 am

strfyr51 wrote:
randomdude83 wrote:
what could he possibly do better than what parker is doing? lets just discuss that instead

What?

Outside of DFW and CLT, AA has a terrible network.

1. ORD a powerhouse? Lol, UA has a vastly superior network at ORD (being the hometown airline) and AA just typically flies a bunch of 50/65 seat RJs into that hub. If anything, they are a nuisance in ORD, depressing yields and leading to lower gauge aircraft being flown in more often than not.

2. There is no way PHX will ever match UA at DEN, it is not geographically centered in the west like DEN/SLC and doesn’t have the O&D. It’s flows could easily be replicated at DFW/LAX.

3. PHL is a terrible TATL gateway, maybe even worse than EWR. Cutting back JFK was the stupidest move yet.

4. SEA is not an AA hub. Yes, they are expanding the codeshare with AS, but it’s still not an official AA hub

All in all, hubs like PHX/PHL are second rate compared to what UA/DL have in those regions. I wouldn’t say they have the best network at all. Also, the terminals in their hubs are typically not as efficiently laid out like DL/UA.

OB1504

Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:48 am

Airbuser wrote:
Mr. Parker is way better than Carty, Arpey, and Horton. He has done a nice job during this Covid crisis and I loved his Southwest Flight Attendant story. He still needs more time. The full realization of the merger needs to come to fruition first. Remember the mechanics just signed a couple months ago. I have a new appreciation for him and like the moves he made in upper management. Finally a big move was made. Time will tell if Mr. Anderson will be tapped.

“Full realization of the merger“? It’s been 7 years since the merger closed and 5 years since PSS integration.

A better negotiator would’ve gotten the mechanics to sign sooner and without pissing them off so badly.

During the pandemic, AA was losing significantly more money than DL or UA and took much longer to stem the bleeding.

All the Southwest story proves is that Parker is not a racist. Not a very high bar.

ethernal

Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:44 am

Wacker1000 wrote:
ethernal wrote:
alasizon wrote:

You have a bunch of people that "want" but think they know better than management and do whatever they please. It doesn't work.

They probably do know better than management in many contexts (certainly not all - the issue with a frontline employee is they, by definition, see only a portion of the whole and therefore sub-optimize across an entire process or customer experience journey). But there's a reason why gemba walks, voice of the customer, and bi-directional feedback (up and down) are a key principle of lean process approaches.

Motivating front line employees is hard and never perfect. But widespread systematic patterns of disregarding management, creating non-standard processes, or just general unprofessionalism are a symptom of a toxic work culture driven by ineffectual management.

That is not to say that you can "fix" every employee - of course there are bad apples. But that is a fraction of employees, and there should be processes to weed bad apples out over time - even if it means navigating a complex union environment.

Why can some companies make it work and others can't? Delta and Southwest seem to be able to do it. Chick-fil-A seems to be able to do it. Costco seems to be able to do it. Is it just because those companies got the luck of the draw of frontline employees? No. It's because they have created a culture that drives those behaviors. Unfortunately, transforming culture is not easy. It's pretty much widely recognized as pretty much the hardest thing to do in business. In fact, effective culture is widely viewed as one of the most significant sources of sustainable competitive advantage - precisely because out of everything, culture is hardest to emulate - especially on a short time horizon.

Even with the best leadership team it would be hard for American to execute a true cultural transformation. But "more of the same" certainly work - and finger pointing at front line employees is literally the direct antithesis of effective leadership (realize you may not be an AA manager, but still - my guess is that this is likely something that does happen at AA).

reltney

Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:22 am

SteelChair wrote:
randomdude83 wrote:

Um, everything? Parker is a train wreck and RA is a very shrewd operator indeed. He doesn't just do win-wins. He does win-win-wins.

Like replacing 367 seat 747-400s with 306 seat A350s that burn 45% less fuel and also takes excess seats out of the marketplace. And then sign a deal with RR (stolen from AA I believe) to insource large engine overhauls. Just one deal he did.

Well, you got that wrong... The last configuration in the Delta 747 Was 376 and on all but 4 flights in the 2 years I flew the plane, we had every seat filled. That is EVERY seat filled on my flights. Soooooo our stats said it had better than a 90% load factor. No excess seats were ever. An issue. I flew the planes ( not ride). The 747 carried 70 more than the 350. But now you have to get this 70 passengers that the 350 can’t carry to the destination...mmmmwell just fire up another plane... so much for fuel savings. 4 engines will be required somehow.... Here is the best part....wait for it........ the 350 as Delta received them could not make the trip from China back to Detroit with full passengers. As many as 40 would be left behind if there was any alternate necessary. Yup. Can’t change facts. 70 less than the 747 plus the 40 the 350 leaves in China. 110 passengers difference . Throw the huge 350 training failure and initial operating of the plane and your will see why Dickson was “retired” from his $800,000 a year job to take the $200,000 a year job with the FAA... facts are facts...

There you have it... the 777-8/9 are the true 747 replacement. Bags/fuel/pax. 747 carried all 3. The 350s couldn’t by a long margin. However, the upgrades and package options for the additional 10 mil got the performance up and now it’s rare passengers are left behind...

I fly the line and I am there.

Cheers
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

Lemieux

Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:55 am

BNAMealer wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
randomdude83 wrote:

What?

1. ORD a powerhouse? Lol, UA has a vastly superior network at ORD (being the hometown airline) and AA just typically flies a bunch of 50/65 seat RJs into that hub. If anything, they are a nuisance in ORD, depressing yields and leading to lower gauge aircraft being flown in more often than not.

2. There is no way PHX will ever match UA at DEN, it is not geographically centered in the west like DEN/SLC and doesn’t have the O&D. It’s flows could easily be replicated at DFW/LAX.

3. PHL is a terrible TATL gateway, maybe even worse than EWR. Cutting back JFK was the stupidest move yet.

4. SEA is not an AA hub. Yes, they are expanding the codeshare with AS, but it’s still not an official AA hub

All in all, hubs like PHX/PHL are second rate compared to what UA/DL have in those regions. I wouldn’t say they have the best network at all. Also, the terminals in their hubs are typically not as efficiently laid out like DL/UA.

Okay dude we get it, you hate AA.
Full time internet idiot. A319/20/20NEO/21/332/333, Boeing 733/734/737/738/752/753/762/763/772/773/788/789, CR2/7/9, de Havilland DHC-8, Embraer 140/145/175/190, MD82/88.

ethernal

Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:10 pm

reltney wrote:
SteelChair wrote:
randomdude83 wrote:

Um, everything? Parker is a train wreck and RA is a very shrewd operator indeed. He doesn't just do win-wins. He does win-win-wins.

Like replacing 367 seat 747-400s with 306 seat A350s that burn 45% less fuel and also takes excess seats out of the marketplace. And then sign a deal with RR (stolen from AA I believe) to insource large engine overhauls. Just one deal he did.

Well, you got that wrong... The last configuration in the Delta 747 Was 376 and on all but 4 flights in the 2 years I flew the plane, we had every seat filled. That is EVERY seat filled on my flights. Soooooo our stats said it had better than a 90% load factor. No excess seats were ever. An issue. I flew the planes ( not ride). The 747 carried 70 more than the 350. But now you have to get this 70 passengers that the 350 can’t carry to the destination...mmmmwell just fire up another plane... so much for fuel savings. 4 engines will be required somehow.... Here is the best part....wait for it........ the 350 as Delta received them could not make the trip from China back to Detroit with full passengers. As many as 40 would be left behind if there was any alternate necessary. Yup. Can’t change facts. 70 less than the 747 plus the 40 the 350 leaves in China. 110 passengers difference . Throw the huge 350 training failure and initial operating of the plane and your will see why Dickson was “retired” from his $800,000 a year job to take the $200,000 a year job with the FAA... facts are facts...

There you have it... the 777-8/9 are the true 747 replacement. Bags/fuel/pax. 747 carried all 3. The 350s couldn’t by a long margin. However, the upgrades and package options for the additional 10 mil got the performance up and now it’s rare passengers are left behind...

Cheers

Can't speak to the ex-China performance, but a full plane is not always an indication of a healthy route. It's easy to fill seats at garbage yields (at least during normal non-COVID times). The question is one of yield, not of butts. As a pilot you should know this.

Every Delta flight I've taken that leaves at 6 AM is full. But I'll tell ya what.. if you look at fares, that 6 AM is almost always 30% cheaper than the 8 AM flight.

I agree with the other poster that downsizing a 747 to a 350 was not really a stroke of genius by Richard Anderson - that's pretty much an industry standard move. I do think that when it came to actually executing a capacity and pricing discipline RA did a pretty good job (much to my detriment as a frequent Delta flyer). It's easy to talk lip service to capacity discipline and holding prices high but Delta actually does a decent job of executing it. AA is much more aggressive at price matching - or at least getting close - against ULCCs for example. Delta doesn't even bother.

BNAMealer

Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:01 pm

Lemieux wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:

What?

Wrong. I think AA should be the premier US carrier, but they are not due to mismanagement and poor strategic decisions. My post above was simply refuting the logic that AA has one of the best network's in the world. Granted, their network is far from the biggest issue they face, but it is still an issue.

silentbob

Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:06 pm

Parker is likely a very nice guy but is the perfect example of a guy that manages strictly by the numbers without understanding the human factors involved. Finding people that understand the numbers to the same level but also have a feel for managing people is really hard to find and those people are usually the rock star leaders.

usa330300

Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:11 pm

Flflyer83 wrote:
hayzel777 wrote:
Must be that one FA that "knows it all" telling everyone in the break room! Or it might be the ramper that just so happens to be privy to the BOD's decisions letting his friends know! Extremely reliable sources!!! :white:

That would be a pilot that knows it all... the FA just regurgitates what the pilots say as far as rumors go. You don’t mess with the all-mighty ones in the front end.

Much hatred towards pilots?

Miamiairport

Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:37 pm

In reality I'm not sure how much change a new CEO would bring. The US3 have decided to chase after the ULCC customer with BE fares. They've all shoved more seats into their planes. DL decided that by promoting AVOD and a "customer service culture" it would offset some of the negative of more seats and less personal space. Personally I have no idea why the US3 feel this is a customer base they absolutely need. What other industries would management chase after customers for which have no hope of ever being profitable.

Same experience today at ATL as I've seen time after time over the past 6 weeks. I waiting for my flight to CLT and next door is a flight boarding to ORD. GA agent goes through calling Groups 1-8 and for each group 5 or less paxs head towards the boarding entrance. GA calls Group 9 and the entire gate area in unison stands up and stampedes to the boarding entrance. Can a legacy airline like AA with legacy costs ever becoming profitable selling BE fares?

RDUDDJI

Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:51 pm

Richard Anderson would only go to AA if he could take C.E. Woolman's desk. :D

BNAMealer wrote:

What?

If you include MIA with DFW and CLT, then I'd tend to agree. They have a decent network at LAX, but I wouldn't say it's significantly better than their many competitors' there.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

einsteinboricua

Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:56 pm

ethernal wrote:
Every Delta flight I've taken that leaves at 6 AM is full. But I'll tell ya what.. if you look at fares, that 6 AM is almost always 30% cheaper than the 8 AM flight.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the 6AM flight loses money either. Suppose you use the same equipment, same load factor, and similar crew...both flight should have the same operating costs, but because there's more demand for the 8AM flight, you can extract a premium. The 6AM flight breaks even or nets a small profit, but the 8AM flight will likely earn more just because of supply and demand.

It's also a bit of an apples to oranges comparison between a domestic route with multiple frequencies and smaller equipment, and an international route flown maybe daily with a widebody. Economics of both are vastly different.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

EMB170

Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:20 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
Antarius wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

If AA would fix their customer service and hard/soft product, everything else would fall into place. That needs to be the top priority for any new AA CEO.

Their network needs some work too, but that’s not nearly as big of a deal as those two things.

IMO it is reliability and customer service. The domestic product is lousy, but not that much different than the competition. Their hard product on longhaul is better than the US3 and available on all aircraft unlike the nythical Polaris and in progress DL one. DL gets accolades, but has basically the same sardine can configuration domestically; the difference is made up by their soft product and reliability. World of a difference.

In a lot of ways, I consider operational reliability and customer service the same category. Being on time is one of the best ways to serve your customers well.

AA's domestic F is worse than DL/UA. I could see the case for Y being the same, although DL's little investments in planes like the A220 (which is very comfortable) go a long way. AA could learn from that.

Improving reliability, service and comfort need to be the top priorities if AA wants to repair their image. Management, especially Doug, needs to be replaced in order for that to happen.

:checkmark: DL's Y product is ahead of AA. I'd much rather have seatback screens than have to bring my own electronic device. Reliability and service (though I know some good PHL-based people at AA) need to improve, too.
IND ORD ATL MCO PIT EWR BUF CVG DEN RNO JFK DTW BOS BDL BWI IAD RDU CLT MYR CHS TPA CID MSP STL MSY DFW IAH AUS SLC LAS

frontierflyer

Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:29 pm

Parker is a great airline CEO , he’s just at the wrong airline. He belongs at a LCC.

ethernal

Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:43 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
ethernal wrote:

That doesn't necessarily mean that the 6AM flight loses money either. Suppose you use the same equipment, same load factor, and similar crew...both flight should have the same operating costs, but because there's more demand for the 8AM flight, you can extract a premium. The 6AM flight breaks even or nets a small profit, but the 8AM flight will likely earn more just because of supply and demand.

It's also a bit of an apples to oranges comparison between a domestic route with multiple frequencies and smaller equipment, and an international route flown maybe daily with a widebody. Economics of both are vastly different.

It's not really apples and oranges. It's the same underlying principle which is that I can fill a plane with low yielding traffic. I am not saying that in this particular case the 6 AM flight is not profitable (it depends on a myriad of factors). My point is that - if the goal is to fill the plane - that is easy to do by adjusting the price in context of other options.

The underlying economics of yield management are identical. The difference between the 6 AM and 8 AM market and the international route is that it may be Delta "competing" against itself versus another airline. Delta may only fly one widebody, but its competitors fly many, especially given the much higher percentage of connecting traffic on long-haul international than short-haul domestic. I can get to PEK/PKX 15 different ways with only one connection.

alasizon

Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:33 pm

Miamiairport wrote:
In reality I'm not sure how much change a new CEO would bring. The US3 have decided to chase after the ULCC customer with BE fares. They've all shoved more seats into their planes. DL decided that by promoting AVOD and a "customer service culture" it would offset some of the negative of more seats and less personal space. Personally I have no idea why the US3 feel this is a customer base they absolutely need. What other industries would management chase after customers for which have no hope of ever being profitable.

Same experience today at ATL as I've seen time after time over the past 6 weeks. I waiting for my flight to CLT and next door is a flight boarding to ORD. GA agent goes through calling Groups 1-8 and for each group 5 or less paxs head towards the boarding entrance. GA calls Group 9 and the entire gate area in unison stands up and stampedes to the boarding entrance. Can a legacy airline like AA with legacy costs ever becoming profitable selling BE fares?

AA's BE fares aren't some low cost bucket, it is just a fare code that moves across the almost all of the same fare buckets that Main Cabin does so for each Main Cabin fare sold, one less BE fare is available in that cheapest bucket as well. BE itself is quite profitable as it provides an opportunity for upsell while still stealing away a few people from the ULCCs. Technically, it is possible for BE to be more expensive than Main Cabin if full fare Y is the only bucket left for BE but Main Cabin still has access to T but that is a discussion best left to another thread.

With the direction AA is moving in, it certainly seems like they are setting it up for Robert to be the next CEO (perhaps both CEO and President since the structure has been redone to give Vasu and David Seymour bigger roles and titles). I'm not sold that AA needs both a CEO and a President now since there is officially a COO which is really what Robert had been for the past four years.

Miamiairport

Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:52 pm

I'd be interested to see how much AA is able to rake in ancillary fees with BE fares. I think even infrequent travelers have figured out not to check bags at least domestically. True there's probably a fair number of flyers that book the flight, something changes and they can't travel and then they realize they are hosed. AA keeps their money. I've seen some fairly high BE fares (MIA/DFW for one) but I've seen some incredibly low. I just booked MIA/ATL for $121rt Main Cabin while BE was $51 rt.

cooley21

Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:28 pm

Do the airlines CEO's just rotate around every few years? Im not overtly familiar with the corporate in's and out's of the airline world, but I feel like I see the same names being floated around to head the major airlines.

SteelChair

Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:34 pm

reltney wrote:
SteelChair wrote:
randomdude83 wrote:

Cheers

Every seat filled doesn't say anything about yield and profitability. Airlines have give out of business with very high load factors.

You are correct about the 367/376. I was wrong

And you admit that the 350 can now fly all the preciously flown 747 routes with a full load of passengers. I notices you didn't argue about the 45% less block fuel.

I'm sticking by my original point. Less capacity helps manage yields, massively less block fuel decreases cost, the RR deal brings the single biggest maintenance cost in house and also adds insourcing opportunities. Win win win.

The 777-8/9 are on life support. Too big, too heavy, orders deferred and/or canceled. Program in jeopardy.

So what if you fly the line? I've gotten more bad info from pilots than anyone. The worst are the check pilots......"a line check pilot told me that he heard......"

Revelation

Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:42 pm

Confuscius wrote:
I thought Richard Anderson left Amtrak for Greyhound.

If so, that'd be from airplanes to trains to buses, the opposite of upward mobility in transportation. What's next: horses, rickshaws then boots?

S0Y wrote:
:stirthepot: I hear Willie Walsh is looking for a new challenge this fall

Same for Sir Tim Clark.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

brilondon

Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:04 pm

graham697 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
So he’s with Amtrak right now?

No he left under somewhat pecuilar circumstances.

He's supposedly retiring at the end of the year from Amtrak
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

Boof02671

Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:50 pm

US law requires the CEO to be a US Citizen

clrd4t8koff

Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:56 pm

RDUDDJI wrote:

BNAMealer wrote:

What?

If you include MIA with DFW and CLT, then I'd tend to agree. They have a decent network at LAX, but I wouldn't say it's significantly better than their many competitors' there.

Then you have no idea what you’re talking about. MIA is one of AA’s worst performing hubs. Why on earth would you add MIA?? Heck, even PHX performs better than MIA!

Profit margins:

CLT 14.3%
DCA 13.6%
DFW 12.7%
ORD 11.4%
PHL 11.4%
PHX 9.6%
MIA 6.7%
JFK 3.1%
LGA -0.8%
LAX -0.9%

Source https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/comm ... ry-anymore

N649DL

Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:21 pm

Personally I'd rather have Anderson go over to replace Kirby at UAL but I don't think he's leaving Amtrak for AA.

Boof02671

Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:26 pm

N649DL wrote:
Personally I'd rather have Anderson go over to replace Kirby at UAL but I don't think he's leaving Amtrak for AA.

He’s not at Amtrak anymore.

RDUDDJI

Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:35 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
RDUDDJI wrote:

BNAMealer wrote:

What?

Then you have no idea what you’re talking about. MIA is one of AA’s worst performing hubs. Why on earth would you add MIA?? Heck, even PHX performs better than MIA!

Profit margins:

CLT 14.3%
DCA 13.6%
DFW 12.7%
ORD 11.4%
PHL 11.4%
PHX 9.6%
MIA 6.7%
JFK 3.1%
LGA -0.8%
LAX -0.9%

Easy fella, put the keyboard down, take a breath and relax. I made no mention of profitability levels, and frankly I couldn't care less about them. My response was in response to a quote about route networks. Perhaps you should READ what I posted. :)
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

alasizon

Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:58 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
RDUDDJI wrote:

BNAMealer wrote:

What?

Profit margins:

CLT 14.3%
DCA 13.6%
DFW 12.7%
ORD 11.4%
PHL 11.4%
PHX 9.6%
MIA 6.7%
JFK 3.1%
LGA -0.8%
LAX -0.9%

Those profit numbers are a bit off now. ORD has dropped significantly.

CLT, DCA and DFW are still about the same but PHL and PHX are about equal and ORD and MIA are below them.

strfyr51

Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:13 pm

American has held on to the hubs of American, USAir, Piedmont and America West. Could be? they need to capitalize on their Strengths? And Jettison their Weaknesses! the Chicago and Dallas hubs are without a doubt their strongest hubs. Philadelphia? they Dominate. Phoenix? they dominate. So? All the other hubs need to be ranked in the order of their importance and their revenue potential. And maybe? they really don't need to be Hubs but substantial Line stations. They need International Gateway cities Like they have in Miami to South America, And JFK might well be their northeast Gateway as Seattle and LAX could be on the West coast.
But they'll need to bring "Guns to Bear" on their Strengths! and do it in Every region of the US. American is wasting good ammo shooting at clay Pidgeons with a Cannon!

strfyr51

Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:30 pm

Lemieux wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:

What?

No! you got that wrong! I dislike AA not being focused! Delta has made plenty of money being Focused, United is now Focused, So American should be Focused!
I was within 2 days of going to work for American and they were my first Choice. But I didn't have much DC-10 experience and they didn't fly 747's which I had experience on. So United offered me a job 2 days before American did and I went to work for United. ( I also didn't have to leave the Bay Area as well).. I've got good friends who work for American but they even said American is factionalized and all over the place. I came up when Bob Crandall was the CEO and it was widely know he was an SOB! He Demanded? and He GOT! He was a "general" you wouldn't Mind going to war with! Since Crandall? American has had a bunch of Posers. Some of the top Guys that were at American? Are now at United and kickin' ASS! I'd like to see that again at American. and by the way? Get back to the double A's And the Eagle!

Midwestindy

Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:55 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
randomdude83 wrote:

What?

DCA needs to be included in the conversation, as it is an extremely important O&D destination, and arguably one of AA's most valuable assets.

AA has large operations in BOS, NYC, DCA, MIA, CLT, PHL, MCO, & RDU. Essentially, they have a large operation in nearly every major East Coast market, something UA & DL can not say.

UA is strong in their hub markets, but their market share is weak elsewhere

In addition, AA has arguably the best TATL partner out of the US3, considering how much TATL demand leans towards the UK/LON
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

alfa164

Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:21 pm

Revelation wrote:
Confuscius wrote:
I thought Richard Anderson left Amtrak for Greyhound.

If so, that'd be from airplanes to trains to buses, the opposite of upward mobility in transportation. What's next: horses, rickshaws then boots?

"Planes, Trains, and Automobiles"... sort of...

;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

apodino

Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:54 pm

I am not buying the rumor about Anderson, and furthermore to the point, as much as the employees would like to see Parker replaced, Anderson would not go over well. American Airlines currently is run at least in the Mid-Upper management areas by a bunch of Northwest airlines alumni. (Many of whom were brought in after Delta didn't want them following the NW/DL merger) The Northwest mentality has been an untold cause of a lot of the issues at American from an Employee standpoint. To bring in a guy at the very top who was CEO of Northwest, would only amplify the Northwest way of doing things at American. This is not what American needs.

In my opinion, if you are going to replace Doug Parker, the guy who should be brought in (or actually back to AA) is Virasb Vahedi. This guy was part of the old American Airlines, understands the American Airlines culture, and was also very well respected by both Employees and outside observers. I think he would do a good job personally.

N649DL

Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:04 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
N649DL wrote:

He’s not at Amtrak anymore.

Well he was until recently. I doubt he's up to the challenge of AA unless why would he step down from DL?

apodino wrote:
I am not buying the rumor about Anderson, and furthermore to the point, as much as the employees would like to see Parker replaced, Anderson would not go over well. American Airlines currently is run at least in the Mid-Upper management areas by a bunch of Northwest airlines alumni. (Many of whom were brought in after Delta didn't want them following the NW/DL merger) The Northwest mentality has been an untold cause of a lot of the issues at American from an Employee standpoint. To bring in a guy at the very top who was CEO of Northwest, would only amplify the Northwest way of doing things at American. This is not what American needs.

In my opinion, if you are going to replace Doug Parker, the guy who should be brought in (or actually back to AA) is Virasb Vahedi. This guy was part of the old American Airlines, understands the American Airlines culture, and was also very well respected by both Employees and outside observers. I think he would do a good job personally.

IIRC, when DL was restructuring they paid off a bunch of managers from CO to work for DL. Ever notice how similar the DL cocktail napkin graphics are similar to CO's? (but less smug?)

BNAMealer

Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:55 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:

What?

DCA needs to be included in the conversation, as it is an extremely important O&D destination, and arguably one of AA's most valuable assets.

AA has large operations in BOS, NYC, DCA, MIA, CLT, PHL, MCO, & RDU. Essentially, they have a large operation in nearly every major East Coast market, something UA & DL can not say.

In addition, AA has arguably the best TATL partner out of the US3, considering how much TATL demand leans towards the UK/LON

Forgot about DCA, you are correct there.

However, there is a ton of overlap with all of those east coast hubs compared to UA/DL. Do they really need MIA anymore with the loss of LATAM, heavy competition and CLT right up the road? Arguably no. Should they be focusing on PHL when the O&D rich JFK/LGA right up the road? Arguably no (yes, I know there has been endless debate on this site on the subject, but AA’s retreat from NYC is utterly pathetic).

And don’t even get me started on PHX, that is arguably the most pointless US3 hub.

Like I said, their network is not the biggest issue, but there is a lot of redundancy that could be consolidated for maximum efficiency.

NYCAAer

Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:22 am

apodino wrote:

Virasb was a great guy, who really cared about both customer service and hard product. I wonder where he is now.

dstblj52

Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:30 am

BNAMealer wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

What?

However, there is a ton of overlap with all of those east coast hubs compared to UA/DL. Do they really need MIA anymore with the loss of LATAM, heavy competition and CLT right up the road? Arguably no. Should they be focusing on PHL when the O&D rich JFK/LGA right up the road? Arguably no (yes, I know there has been endless debate on this site on the subject, but AA’s retreat from NYC is utterly pathetic).

And don’t even get me started on PHX, that is arguably the most pointless US3 hub.

Like I said, their network is not the biggest issue, but there is a lot of redundancy that could be consolidated for maximum efficiency.

A huge part of AA problem is they that all the other eligible partners were taken before they merged with US, look when NWA merged with DAL there were no real questions which hubs would die cvg and mem, although both have decent OD operations, and when COA merged with UAL again their was the obvious losser in CLE, but with US AA there were no real obvious hubs to cut. And unfortunately you can make logical arguments for all of AA's hubs but even donitz obvious they need to cut something.

apodino

Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:40 am

N649DL wrote:
IIRC, when DL was restructuring they paid off a bunch of managers from CO to work for DL. Ever notice how similar the DL cocktail napkin graphics are similar to CO's? (but less smug?)

It's an apples to oranges comparison. Most of the CO managers were from the Bethune era, and Bethune did an outstanding job as CO was respected. I would argue NW was not, even if both were in SkyTeam at the time.

BNAMealer wrote:

The issue with JFK/LGA is slots. AA doesn't have a lot of them. One issue with JFK as a transatlantic gateway is that with no slots, you don't have ample feed for connecting passengers to connect in JFK, which means any TA destination has to rely on O and D. PHL isn't far down the road, and as a hub is much better positioned to provide that feeder traffic that is needed for some of the TA destinations. And apparently AA had been losing their shirt in NYC for years prior to the merger. Now (At least before COVID-19), NYC became profitable. AA is also using ORD as a secondary European gateway as well.

As for MIA, LATAM really didn't provide a lot to MIA that AA wasn't already providing. AA is still the dominant carrier in Latin America and if you can find a hub that covers Latin America destinations better than MIA, I am all ears. CLT is not an option because CLT only has about 12 FIS Capable gates. You cannot put the Latin Traffic through CLT the way you can MIA, which is set up for it much better. (I think most of the gates in MIA are FIS capable). Also, MIA provides much better O and D to Latin America than CLT. Yes MIA at the moment is one of the least profitable AA hubs, but if they abandon it they might as well give up on Latin America, which is their strongest international region.

alasizon

Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:50 am

BNAMealer wrote:

I don't think you understand the role their hubs play. Cutting MIA would be absolutely ludicrous. MIA is the single largest market to the Caribbean and South America, dropping that in favor of CLT would be suicide (not to mention there isn't even close to enough gates in CLT for this - particularly widebody gates). Plus, the cargo demand to/from MIA is huge compared to CLT.

PHL - NE fortress hub with limited competition, they get better yield on just about every market compared to JFK/LGA, why go back to a place that is tough to make a profit when instead you can make a great profit down the road.

PHX - you argue it is pointless but yet it makes money (and no, you cannot duplicate those traffic flows over DFW and LAX like you think you can, not enough gates in LAX and DFW is too far East for 50% of the flows) and making money is the job of an airline. It isn't like there is suddenly 50 gates in another Western hub just sitting unused.

LAX - Works in a duopoly with PHX - isn't really profitable but its job is mostly TPAC (and w/o the drag of China, I think it would make a profit) and premium flying for LAX based clientele.

None of this really has anything to do with the rumor of RA coming to town though.

FSDan

Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:51 am

apodino wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

The issue with JFK/LGA is slots. AA doesn't have a lot of them. One issue with JFK as a transatlantic gateway is that with no slots, you don't have ample feed for connecting passengers to connect in JFK, which means any TA destination has to rely on O and D. PHL isn't far down the road, and as a hub is much better positioned to provide that feeder traffic that is needed for some of the TA destinations. And apparently AA had been losing their shirt in NYC for years prior to the merger. Now (At least before COVID-19), NYC became profitable. AA is also using ORD as a secondary European gateway as well.

As for MIA, LATAM really didn't provide a lot to MIA that AA wasn't already providing. AA is still the dominant carrier in Latin America and if you can find a hub that covers Latin America destinations better than MIA, I am all ears. CLT is not an option because CLT only has about 12 FIS Capable gates. You cannot put the Latin Traffic through CLT the way you can MIA, which is set up for it much better. (I think most of the gates in MIA are FIS capable). Also, MIA provides much better O and D to Latin America than CLT. Yes MIA at the moment is one of the least profitable AA hubs, but if they abandon it they might as well give up on Latin America, which is their strongest international region.

:checkmark: Agree with apodino on all counts.

Additionally, if AA were to walk away from PHX, they'd be giving up a lot of strength in the Western states. They don't have the facilities (gates, really) at LAX to be able to fly to anywhere near the number of secondary destinations they can fly to out of PHX. And while PHX may not be the best geographically located hub in the Mountain time zone, it does still have a large amount of O&D traffic, including in the winter season when the rest of the network slows down.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos