Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

birdup
Topic Author

Seattle Times: Alaska Air prepares to shrink and shed thousands of jobs

Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:36 pm

Didn’t see an existing topic on this announcement.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/b ... s-of-jobs/

Alaska Airlines projects a slow recovery from the rapid decline in air travel due to the coronavirus pandemic, and it’s preparing to shed as many as 3,000 jobs from its 23,000-strong work force.

“Things will likely not go back to pre-COVID levels in the next 12 months,” said Alaska Air Group president Ben Minicucci in a video interview. “We see a smaller company in 2021. We see a smaller industry, in fact. We think we’ll be smaller by about 3,000 people.”

On the MAX:

Minicucci said it’s hard to say now if the airline will take any MAXs in 2020.

“We haven’t made firm decisions,” he said. “Long term, we’ll have MAXs in the Alaska fleet, for sure. We’re big Boeing supporters.”

RTNOBLE

Re: Seattle Times: Alaska Air prepares to shrink and shed thousands of jobs

Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:27 pm

With an overall downturn how do we see PAE faring with capacity cuts? Would be a shame to see service reductions to such a new operation.

iamlucky13

Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:40 pm

RTNOBLE wrote:
With an overall downturn how do we see PAE faring with capacity cuts? Would be a shame to see service reductions to such a new operation.

It has been cut significantly more than other locations, but the airport was doing generally well before the pandemic hit. I'm confident they'll bring most or all of the flights at PAE back once SEA volume picks up again.

The PAE terminal owner is currently using the low flight rate to do some ramp work that is necessary long term. Continued investment on their part suggests positive discussions with the airlines.

hiflyeras

Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:49 pm

QX is flying many routes that were previously AS mainline and QX hasn't seem much in the way of cuts. Until the mainline jets return to most all AS routes it'll be harder for QX to return to previous service levels at PAE.

chrisp390

Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:15 am

Do the 737's still say "Proudly all Boeing" or has that been removed now that they have had Airbus and Embraer in the fleet for 2+ years?

wedgetail737

Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:02 am

iamlucky13 wrote:
RTNOBLE wrote:

It has been cut significantly more than other locations, but the airport was doing generally well before the pandemic hit. I'm confident they'll bring most or all of the flights at PAE back once SEA volume picks up again.

The PAE terminal owner is currently using the low flight rate to do some ramp work that is necessary long term. Continued investment on their part suggests positive discussions with the airlines.

Low flight rate? PAE's terminal is closed through at least July 30th.

aeromoe

Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:19 am

chrisp390 wrote:
Do the 737's still say "Proudly all Boeing" or has that been removed now that they have had Airbus and Embraer in the fleet for 2+ years?

The motto still exists on the Boeing fleet. I've flown AS quite a bit these past few years and make a photo webpage for all of them. On this page from Feb 2020 you can see the logo still on the noses of the two 737s at PHX. I also do a lot of photos from inside the terminal as I'm waiting for flights so I've got photo evidence it's on the 737s I've photographed.

http://www.aeromoe.com/flightlog/flt750.html
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

iamlucky13

Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:29 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
iamlucky13 wrote:
RTNOBLE wrote:

Low flight rate? PAE's terminal is closed through at least July 30th.

Thanks for the update.

I knew the request had been made to the FAA to be allowed to cease the remaining scheduled flights to do the ramp work more quickly, but they rejected the proposal. An updated proposal had been submitted, and I thought accepted, but I wasn't entirely sure. I just looked up the most recent article again to confirm this.

The flight rate was significantly reduced at the time of closure, and they plan to resume once the ramp work is complete:
https://www.heraldnet.com/business/pain ... p-repairs/

n7371f

Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:33 am

Oh they still got 'em.

chrisp390 wrote:

SurfandSnow

Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:42 am

I wouldn't be surprised to see further AS retrenchment in the California market. I would have to think the SEA and PDX hubs will take precedence over their SFO and LAX counterparts. As far as focus cities go, operations in the Northwest like BOI, GEG and PAE also seem to be faring better than Californian stations like SAN, SJC and SMF. Perhaps as AS cuts back in the Golden State, WN will continue to reduce service at AS strongholds.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

32andBelow

Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:37 am

[twoid][/twoid]
SurfandSnow wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see further AS retrenchment in the California market. I would have to think the SEA and PDX hubs will take precedence over their SFO and LAX counterparts. As far as focus cities go, operations in the Northwest like BOI, GEG and PAE also seem to be faring better than Californian stations like SAN, SJC and SMF. Perhaps as AS cuts back in the Golden State, WN will continue to reduce service at AS strongholds.

And you know like ALASKA!

EA CO AS

Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:46 am

SurfandSnow wrote:
Perhaps as AS cuts back in the Golden State, WN will continue to reduce service at AS strongholds.

Actually, AS has already begun expanding opportunities at SAN, SNA, and PDX as WN cuts service there to redeploy assets against the Big 3 in other markets.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

F9Animal

Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:29 pm

The airline says it's shrinking, and some are questioning if Alaska should go and buy new planes from Airbus? Hilarious!!! I am pretty sure Alaska or any airline wishes to kick some tires, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Alaska is indeed going to shrink, which is the smart choice during these uncertain times. It saddens me to hear so many jobs will likely be affected. But!! I only see this as temporary. Perhaps they will seek early retirements before slicing away?

I'm certain in the next few years, things will get somewhat back to normal for the industry. Never in my life did I think we would see such a crushing set of circumstances this big, hit the airlines like this. Alaska will come out of this okay, that's a for sure.
I Am A Different Animal!!

SurfandSnow

Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:47 pm

32andBelow wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
SurfandSnow wrote:

And you know like ALASKA!

I'm not so sure about Alaska. Low oil prices and widespread concerns over cruise safety (let alone the apparent desire to vacation in places as familiar and close to home as possible - such as Florida) could put a damper on demand to/from Alaska. I would think p2p services to Hawaii could be in trouble too, but any cuts or reductions there could be further evidence of trouble throughout California. Now that SMF-Hawaii is gone, OAK-Hawaii could be next.

airplaneboy wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
SurfandSnow wrote:
Perhaps as AS cuts back in the Golden State, WN will continue to reduce service at AS strongholds.

Actually, AS has already begun expanding opportunities at SAN, SNA, and PDX as WN cuts service there to redeploy assets against the Big 3 in other markets.

Which opportunities at SAN and SNA?

Exactly. With the notable exceptions of PAE and STS, two wealthy niche markets where AS is very strong, p2p wasn't really working from SNA before the pandemic. Failed AS services from SNA like ABQ, PVR, RNO and SJD spring to mind. Apparently SNA-Hawaii hasn't been possible due to a lack of ETOPS-certified 73Gs (the type that Aloha Airlines and later CO/UA used) in the AS fleet and prohibitive restrictions that the 738s would face. I always wondered about the possibility of seeing AS try something like SNA-BOS/JFK with the 73G or A319, but I'm guessing such an experiment wouldn't be viable. Otherwise, we might have seen AS try it.

Now, Hawaii has worked from SAN - but will that still be the case now that WN offers its loyal FFer base (as well as connecting passengers) nonstop service to Hawaii? Expansion into the heartland certainly didn't go too well (I recall DAL, ELP, MCI, MSP, SLC and STL getting cut but believe there were others), and unfortunately it looks like other AS services competing against WN such as BWI and SMF could now be in trouble too. AS may very well have found a few niche services from SAN that will be fine, like BOS, EWR and MRY, but overall it seems like SAN could be destined to become more of a spoke operation than any strategic focus for AS - as seems to be true in places like SJC and SMF where WN is also a major concern. WN, in turn, seems to be reacting by making life a little bit easier for AS in its key strongholds like PDX, SEA and even SFO. Seems this truce between AS and WN, if only temporary, is serving both airlines well.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

Prost

Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:29 pm

Any consolidation would have to be stock only kind of mergers. No one is going to blow through billions of dollars in this environment.

SonomaFlyer

Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:04 pm

One must assume they know what they are doing but AS is starting new service from STS in the middle of this, a single daily R/T to SBA, this before adding back the second daily to SAN or the reduced services to LAX, PDX and SEA. Weird.

alasizon

Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:45 am

SonomaFlyer wrote:
One must assume they know what they are doing but AS is starting new service from STS in the middle of this, a single daily R/T to SBA, this before adding back the second daily to SAN or the reduced services to LAX, PDX and SEA. Weird.

It is a through flight on to PDX so it isn't really a new route so much as it is a tag. The non-stop SBA-PDX is also still for sale and is practically at the same time so I would imagine there is still another schedule overlay that needs to happen.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

tiptoe42

Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:35 am

EA CO AS wrote:
SurfandSnow wrote:

Just to be accurate that would be Horizon and Skywest doing that. While Alaska plans to eliminate 3000 jobs.

hOMSaR

Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:21 pm

Folks, this thread is about Alaska airlines and their plans to shrink in size due to COVID. This is not the place to discuss 737 MAX issues, argue Airbus vs. Boeing, etc.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

SANFan

Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:39 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:
Exactly. With the notable exceptions of PAE and STS, two wealthy niche markets where AS is very strong, p2p wasn't really working from SNA before the pandemic. Failed AS services from SNA like ABQ, PVR, RNO and SJD spring to mind.

Now, Hawaii has worked from SAN - but will that still be the case now that WN offers its loyal FFer base (as well as connecting passengers) nonstop service to Hawaii? Expansion into the heartland certainly didn't go too well (I recall DAL, ELP, MCI, MSP, SLC and STL getting cut but believe there were others), and unfortunately it looks like other AS services competing against WN such as BWI and SMF could now be in trouble too. AS may very well have found a few niche services from SAN that will be fine, like BOS, EWR and MRY, but overall it seems like SAN could be destined to become more of a spoke operation than any strategic focus for AS - as seems to be true in places like SJC and SMF where WN is also a major concern. WN, in turn, seems to be reacting by making life a little bit easier for AS in its key strongholds like PDX, SEA and even SFO. Seems this truce between AS and WN, if only temporary, is serving both airlines well.

You are aware of the cuts WN is making in SAN late this year? Ten nonstop routes are being dropped (as compared to last Nov's schedule), reducing the routes from SAN by 1/3, and ~20% of the departures overall are being eliminated with this winter's skeds! It appears that percentage-wise, WN is cutting SAN more than anyone else, especially AS. (I'm not going into details and lists of the SAN cuts here as this has all been discussed elsewhere a lot.)

That sounds to me exactly like some golden opportunities for AAG at SAN. In fact, the winter sked changes released by AS just last Sunday show increases in freq to BOI, GEG, MCO (going double-daily!), PDX, PVR (to daily service!), & SEA. These markets are being increased by AS as fast as they are being dropped by WN! As usual, EA CO AS knows what he's talking about and AS is jumping on opportunities as they become available. I have a feeling SAN's status as at least a Focus city for AAG is not in jeopardy once the dust settles.

I might also note that WN still has no service between SAN and Hawaii on their schedules into next January -- the duration of their open booking window -- while AS seems to be chomping at the bit to get those 4 routes to the Islands from SAN going as soon as the State of HI opens back up for tourism. We'll have to wait and see how WN deals with their very long awaited inaugural of service to any markets in HI from SAN....

bb

freakyrat

Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:34 pm

AS is sitting on gates at DAL.

gaystudpilot

Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:08 am

Oct, Nov and Dec will be a very interesting period for Alaska and it’s competitors.

wnflyguy

Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:14 am

SANFan wrote:
SurfandSnow wrote:
Exactly. With the notable exceptions of PAE and STS, two wealthy niche markets where AS is very strong, p2p wasn't really working from SNA before the pandemic. Failed AS services from SNA like ABQ, PVR, RNO and SJD spring to mind.

You are aware of the cuts WN is making in SAN late this year? Ten nonstop routes are being dropped (as compared to last Nov's schedule), reducing the routes from SAN by 1/3, and ~20% of the departures overall are being eliminated with this winter's skeds! It appears that percentage-wise, WN is cutting SAN more than anyone else, especially AS. (I'm not going into details and lists of the SAN cuts here as this has all been discussed elsewhere a lot.)

That sounds to me exactly like some golden opportunities for AAG at SAN. In fact, the winter sked changes released by AS just last Sunday show increases in freq to BOI, GEG, MCO (going double-daily!), PDX, PVR (to daily service!), & SEA. These markets are being increased by AS as fast as they are being dropped by WN! As usual, EA CO AS knows what he's talking about and AS is jumping on opportunities as they become available. I have a feeling SAN's status as at least a Focus city for AAG is not in jeopardy once the dust settles.

I might also note that WN still has no service between SAN and Hawaii on their schedules into next January -- the duration of their open booking window -- while AS seems to be chomping at the bit to get those 4 routes to the Islands from SAN going as soon as the State of HI opens back up for tourism. We'll have to wait and see how WN deals with their very long awaited inaugural of service to any markets in HI from SAN....

bb

WN SAN-Hawaii is only on hold until Hawaii has a removal of the 14 day quarantine requirements.
Once it's lifted It will be added.
Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

SANFan

Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:41 am

wnflyguy wrote:
SANFan wrote:
bb

WN SAN-Hawaii is only on hold until Hawaii has a removal of the 14 day quarantine requirements.
Once it's lifted It will be added.
Flyguy

I've heard other opinions on that, primarily dependent on whether the MAXs are flying or not. At his point, I'll be thrilled and surprised if WN is flying west from SAN in 2021...

And as I said up-thread, judging by the published (advance) schedules for AS, they are ready and will be in the air to all 4 islands from SAN as soon as the state is open again for business! In fact, AS is showing the nonstops to all 4 islands from SAN scheduled at this point to begin, daily, on July 12.

I've seen no commitment at all to any SAN-HI routes from WN.

bb

JammyBritton27

Alaska Air Group: How the COVID-19 pandemic downed a high-flyer

Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:30 pm

Looking at the five-year trend, Alaska has consistently increased its operating revenues with a 6% year-over-year increase in 2019 to $8.7 billion. This increase in revenue was fueled by continued network expansion and capacity growth.

During its first quarter earnings announcement, the company stated that flown capacity for April was down over 80% versus the previous year and cuts for May will also exceed 80%.

Alaska and its peers will continue to face challenges over the coming months and it is safe to say that the airline industry in general is likely to witness some significant changes in travel trends in the future.

https://news.alphastreet.com/alaska-air ... igh-flyer/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos