Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

STT757

Re: The future of LaGuardia

Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:41 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
NYC-air wrote:
Rikers Island, once closed, should be used for a new parallel runway for 13/31. LaGuardia isn't going anywhere so they might as well do this to improve delays. I'm aware that it won't increase slots but it will make the airport more reliable, especially during winter storms.

Environmentalists and NIMBYs will likely, unfortunately oppose this.

The only physical space available to expand LaGuardia meaningfully is toward and onto Rikers. This would not reduce delays substantially, but it would help to give the airport more reliability in inclement weather. The issue is cost. I just don't see funds being made available at the Federal, State, or Local level to make this happen without a huge tax hike. I think LGA will have to settle around new and much better terminals, improved taxiway operations, and not much else.

Rikers Island belongs to the City, they are going to decided what happens. The redevelopment of LaGuardia was a Port Authority project pushed by Cuomo, neither can influence the outcome of what happens on Rikers Island. The City council and Mayor have not a care in the world about delays at LaGuardia, they have their own agenda. I would look for the following at Rikers:

Green space, affordable housing, utilities such as waste water treatment plants and possibly selling a portion to private developers similar to Hudson Yards.

Cointrin330

Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:37 pm

STT757 wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
NYC-air wrote:
Rikers Island, once closed, should be used for a new parallel runway for 13/31. LaGuardia isn't going anywhere so they might as well do this to improve delays. I'm aware that it won't increase slots but it will make the airport more reliable, especially during winter storms.

Environmentalists and NIMBYs will likely, unfortunately oppose this.

The only physical space available to expand LaGuardia meaningfully is toward and onto Rikers. This would not reduce delays substantially, but it would help to give the airport more reliability in inclement weather. The issue is cost. I just don't see funds being made available at the Federal, State, or Local level to make this happen without a huge tax hike. I think LGA will have to settle around new and much better terminals, improved taxiway operations, and not much else.

Rikers Island belongs to the City, they are going to decided what happens. The redevelopment of LaGuardia was a Port Authority project pushed by Cuomo, neither can influence the outcome of what happens on Rikers Island. The City council and Mayor have not a care in the world about delays at LaGuardia, they have their own agenda. I would look for the following at Rikers:

Green space, affordable housing, utilities such as waste water treatment plants and possibly selling a portion to private developers similar to Hudson Yards.

It will be a long time before NYC will see a private development akin to Hudson Yards, which is one of the most useless vanity projects to emerge in NYC in a decade if not more. Hudson Yards will have a comeback once tourism returns and people return to offices, but the last thing needed right now is more glass towers for corporations getting big tax breaks to stay in NYC. Affordable housing? Yes, maybe. But not under this Mayoral Administration, which is a disaster. Utilities, probably not. Rising sea levels will make that tough.

STT757

Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:39 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
STT757 wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:

It will be a long time before NYC will see a private development akin to Hudson Yards, which is one of the most useless vanity projects to emerge in NYC in a decade if not more. Hudson Yards will have a comeback once tourism returns and people return to offices, but the last thing needed right now is more glass towers for corporations getting big tax breaks to stay in NYC. Affordable housing? Yes, maybe. But not under this Mayoral Administration, which is a disaster. Utilities, probably not. Rising sea levels will make that tough.

Private development in terms of housing is what I meant, not office space. They could sell the entire island to private equity firms and developers and just put in requirements for levels of affordable housing and green space.

ScottB

Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:13 pm

STT757 wrote:

You realize that the City of New York also owns La Guardia Airport? The Port Authority leases the land from the City. I could easily imagine a scenario where the Port Authority would lease part or all of Rikers from the city for a significant annual sum which would help plug the City's budget holes and/or provide funding for things like affordable housing. The lease costs for the land would be covered by fees paid by airport users. It's a simple legal way to divert airport revenue into city coffers.

STT757

Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:23 pm

ScottB wrote:
STT757 wrote:

You realize that the City of New York also owns La Guardia Airport? The Port Authority leases the land from the City. I could easily imagine a scenario where the Port Authority would lease part or all of Rikers from the city for a significant annual sum which would help plug the City's budget holes and/or provide funding for things like affordable housing. The lease costs for the land would be covered by fees paid by airport users. It's a simple legal way to divert airport revenue into city coffers.

The Port Authority has something like an 85 year lease on the land underneath LaGuardia and Kennedy. However there is no chance the city wants them to expand the airport outside of improving the facilities. The City's politics have taken a substantial turn towards progressive agendas. Dumping fill into a bay to expand an airport is not even remotely possible.

STT757

Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:23 pm

ScottB wrote:
STT757 wrote:

The Port Authority has something like an 85 year lease on the land underneath LaGuardia and Kennedy. However there is no chance the city wants them to expand the airport outside of improving the facilities. The City's politics have taken a substantial turn towards progressive agendas. Dumping fill into a bay to expand an airport is not even remotely possible.

GSPSPOT

Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:24 pm

evank516 wrote:
We're all talking about the idea of closing LGA, but that's not going to happen after all the money they just invested in re-designing the entire airport. Though I have to say that LGA is really an impediment on JFK, I agree 100%, but the problem is we're not going to see it go anywhere.

I was wondering when someone was going to bring this up!

blacksoviet

Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:32 am

Why doesn’t the new Terminal have international gates? Wouldn’t it free up slots at JFK if flights from Ireland and Iceland were allowed to arrive at LGA?

SoEWR

Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:00 am

blacksoviet wrote:
Why doesn’t the new Terminal have international gates? Wouldn’t it free up slots at JFK if flights from Ireland and Iceland were allowed to arrive at LGA?

Runways are very short at LaGuardia. I believe A320/737 are the biggest size plane that can land at LaGuardia. Also there is no CBP and FID stations at LaGuardia

JFKalumni

Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:02 am

blacksoviet wrote:

Between the NY/NJ Seaports, JFK, TEB, EWR, HPN, MMU, FRG and ISP, customs operations might be stretched to the limit if you add LGA. The few customs officers I’ve meet when I worked at LGA were from JFK. They simply drove up the Van Wyck.

Only international operation at LGA is WestJet, Air Canada, and business jets arriving at the FBO. There’s really no need.

Polot

Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:50 am

SoEWR wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

Runways are very short at LaGuardia. I believe A320/737 are the biggest size plane that can land at LaGuardia. Also there is no CBP and FID stations at LaGuardia

LGA can handle planes up to the 767-400 in size. A330/787/777 wingspans are too wide.

Even if LGA had immigration facilities the perimeter rule would prevent any flight to Ireland or Iceland.

Cointrin330

Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:41 pm

blacksoviet wrote:

LGA's runways are too short for a fully tanked pax jet to fly across the pond. Big jets can land at LGA (the largest, most recently was the 767-400ER for DL but has not operated there for some time, aside from IRROPS). Going back much further, LGA handled L1011s, DC10s, 762s, and 763s.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:40 pm

SoEWR wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

I’ve cleared CI at KLGA many times, Canada, UK, Germany.

airlinedork

Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:51 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
SoEWR wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

As a commercial passenger? No, you haven't.

phatfarmlines

Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:10 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
SoEWR wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

airlinedork wrote:

LGA was the port of entry to NYC starting in the mid-1940's before the development of Idlewild (JFK).

blacksoviet

Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:42 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

LGA's runways are too short for a fully tanked pax jet to fly across the pond. Big jets can land at LGA (the largest, most recently was the 767-400ER for DL but has not operated there for some time, aside from IRROPS). Going back much further, LGA handled L1011s, DC10s, 762s, and 763s.

Can an MD-11 take off from LGA?

airlinedork

Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:08 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
SoEWR wrote:

airlinedork wrote:

LGA was the port of entry to NYC starting in the mid-1940's before the development of Idlewild (JFK).

According to GalaxyFlyer's profile, he/she was 7 years old in 1960.

Polot

Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:12 pm

airlinedork wrote:
phatfarmlines wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

airlinedork wrote:

According to GalaxyFlyer's profile, he/she was 7 years old in 1960.

The last intercontinental flights left LGA in 1951, with most leaving when Idlewild opened in 1948.

r6russian

Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:24 pm

bulldoze all 3 of the hot dumpster fires and build a brand new massive airport in lower bay right off Staten Island with high speed rail to major train stations in NYC and jersey, like real airports in civilized nations

blacksoviet

Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:32 pm

r6russian wrote:
bulldoze all 3 of the hot dumpster fires and build a brand new massive airport in lower bay right off Staten Island with high speed rail to major train stations in NYC and jersey, like real airports in civilized nations

You cannot build high speed rail from Staten Island to Manhattan. High speed rail is for medium and long distance trains only.

Cointrin330

Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:14 pm

r6russian wrote:

Ah Staten Island...wouldn't it be great if it were redeveloped into one big airport to serve NYC?

blacksoviet

Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:43 am

Cointrin330 wrote:
r6russian wrote:

Ah Staten Island...wouldn't it be great if it were redeveloped into one big airport to serve NYC?

You would still have to take the ferry to get there. You might as well take the Airtrain to Newark.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:09 am

airlinedork wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
SoEWR wrote:

Where did I say as a commercial passenger?

r6russian

Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:18 am

blacksoviet wrote:
r6russian wrote:

You cannot build high speed rail from Staten Island to Manhattan. High speed rail is for medium and long distance trains only.

I was thinking of something like Munich Sbahn from the airport to the main station and everywhere in between. Its not very "schnell" but its a consistent 45 min from city center to the terminal

JFKalumni

Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:36 am

Cointrin330 wrote:
r6russian wrote:

Staten Island would be nice but the infrastructure improvements would probably cost more than the airport.

Subway doesn’t connect with the other boroughs

CSX and Norfolk Southern owns the railroad infrastructure

Too close to Linden Airport with GA and Newscopter traffic

Only area suitable for development is the marsh land between Travis and Arden Heights

Staten Island Expressway traffic

Long, expensive express bus ride from Manhattan

Verrazano = $20
Goethals / Outerbridge / Bayonne = $16

It’s just too expensive to deal with Staten Island.

blacksoviet

Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:19 am

JFKalumni wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
r6russian wrote:

CSX and Norfolk Southern owns the railroad infrastructure.

Only area suitable for development is the marsh land between Travis and Arden Heights

Can Governor Cuomo use eminent domain to kick CSX out?

The Staten Island Railway to St. George can connect you to the ferry. This would be convenient for people heading to Lower Manhattan. The ferry doesn’t take that long.

JFKalumni

Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:25 am

blacksoviet wrote:
JFKalumni wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:

CSX and Norfolk Southern owns the railroad infrastructure.

The Staten Island Railway to St. George can connect you to the ferry. This would be convenient for people heading to Lower Manhattan. The ferry doesn’t take that long.

I’m sure he can but I doubt he would use it. You have the Arthur Kill container port accepting and shipping goods and you have the sanitation department loading up the garbage trains at Fresh kills along the Westshore expressway.

N757ST

Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:13 am

All this talk about states island, where half a million people live and would need to be somewhat displaced, and you guys are worried about the railroad? Lol.

Nyc (jersey) has 3 airports, and in 20 years it’ll will still have the same 3 using the same 9 runways. The city will eventually get back up on its feet but it’ll be a while. When all this crazy is finally behind us there will be ways to push more traffic into the airports, mainly via up gauging the aircraft that service these airports. The only, only opportunity to add runway capacity that is can see is a close parallel runway to the northeast of 31R at jfk, and maybe something involving rikers when that shuts down, but again that’s years away and would involve another massive redrawing of the airspace and reliance on RNP stars and sids for all 3 airports.

twaconnie

Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:03 pm

Well with all this talk about using Rikers for housing and offices the first thing needed is a new bridge, the current one has only one lane in each direction and backs up often now, and causes local streets to be a mess. I'm sure local residence would like to see a new runway built and get rid of all the traffic.

ScottB

Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:00 pm

blacksoviet wrote:

LOL. You think that business travelers from Manhattan would be happy with black car/Uber/cab/subway -> ferry -> train -> terminal shuttle and vice versa to and from flights? In January? How about with luggage? There's also the time needed to change modes; by the time you make all those changes you probably could have driven to SWF.

And railroads are special under the law. It's not necessarily clear that the state could take a rail line under eminent domain if the railroad still required the use of that line.

blacksoviet

Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:22 am

Why did Spirit demolish the Eastern Concourse at Terminal C?

twaconnie

Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:58 pm

blacksoviet wrote:

Terminal C is owned by Delta not Spirit, terminal C is scheduled for demolition when Delta's new terminal C is completed around 2022.

jfklganyc

Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:35 pm

twaconnie wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

Terminal C is owned by Delta not Spirit, terminal C is scheduled for demolition when Delta's new terminal C is completed around 2022.

It is being demolished in phases to accommodate rebuilding. Tight space. The old shuttle concourse has been gone for a while.

global2

Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:59 pm

I drove by LGA Monday night, first time in several months. I was shocked to not see the
Delta terminal (D) but instead the skeleton of a big new terminal rising already. Having waited decades already for the 2nd Avenue "Stubway" and the LIRR connection to Grand Central get completed, the pace of LGA's renewal continues to amaze me.

Cointrin330

Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:37 pm

blacksoviet wrote:

Terminal C was owned by Delta, or leased by DAL, not Spirit, though Spirit relocated its operations there once American consolidated everything into the Central Terminal building (From C, AA was operating its shuttle to DCA and BOS, plus CLT and PHL). The AA station at C was a legacy of the USAirways operation at LGA. USAir bought the newly built terminal C from Continental and Eastern in 1990 or 1991 for whom it was built (it opened I think in 1992).

blacksoviet

Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:59 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
twaconnie wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

It is being demolished in phases to accommodate rebuilding. Tight space. The old shuttle concourse has been gone for a while.

Is that the old Trump Shuttle concourse that was demolished?

jfklganyc

Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:22 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
twaconnie wrote:

Eastern-Trump-USAir-USAirways-American-Delta

A lot of history and that ugly little concourse

In fairness American really operated from the western concourse

blacksoviet

Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:39 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

They left the airside bridge connecting the western concourse to Terminal D. I think they should demolish the old Terminal C headhouse. It is too small and too close to the runway.

jfklganyc

Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:46 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

They left the airside bridge connecting the western concourse to Terminal D. I think they should demolish the old Terminal C headhouse. It is too small and too close to the runway.

It is all going

blacksoviet

Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:57 pm

Does Spirit own their own gates in Terminal C or do they lease from Delta?

jfklganyc

Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:08 pm

blacksoviet wrote:

Spirit leases from Delta from the gate shuffle a few years ago. Delta leases from PANYNJ

blacksoviet

Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:16 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

Spirit leases from Delta from the gate shuffle a few years ago. Delta leases from PANYNJ

What about Westjet and Frontier? What is the gate situation with them?

AmericanAir88
Topic Author

Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:29 am

global2 wrote:
I drove by LGA Monday night, first time in several months. I was shocked to not see the
Delta terminal (D) but instead the skeleton of a big new terminal rising already. Having waited decades already for the 2nd Avenue "Stubway" and the LIRR connection to Grand Central get completed, the pace of LGA's renewal continues to amaze me.

Wait. Terminal D is gone? I thought Delta wasn’t doing much work until Terminal B was complete.

Also, when will NK and F9 move to TerB already. I fly NK and F9 a lot and I feel they would benefit much more in TerB. Both feel out of place in TerC

AmericanAir88
Topic Author

Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:30 am

global2 wrote:

Wait. Terminal D is gone? I thought Delta wasn’t doing much work until Terminal B was complete.

Also, when will NK and F9 move to TerB already. I fly NK and F9 a lot and I feel they would benefit much more in TerB. Both feel out of place in TerC

twaconnie

Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:51 pm

Any word on B6 do they plan on staying at terminal A when construction is completed?

TonyClifton

Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:34 pm

AmericanAir88 wrote:
global2 wrote:

D is there, but from GCP the new head house now stands in view, a big change in the facade of LGA. Construction speed has been pretty impressive.

blacksoviet

Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:02 pm

AmericanAir88 wrote:
global2 wrote:

Once Concourse D gets demolished, there will not be enough gates in Terminal B for Spirit. They will have to either stay in Terminal C or move to Terminal D.

There might be a gate for Frontier in Terminal B once construction is complete. I don’t know how many gates Frontier needs.

Terminals C and D combined is too many gates for Delta. There will always be room there for at least two other airlines. Maybe we will see Westjet move to Terminal B once the final gate opens there. That will be a while because they still have to demolish all the old roads and bridges that led to the old CTB headhouse. Then they have to fix the apron.

snoopaloop

Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:32 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
AmericanAir88 wrote:
global2 wrote:

Once Concourse D gets demolished, there will not be enough gates in Terminal B for Spirit. They will have to either stay in Terminal C or move to Terminal D.

There might be a gate for Frontier in Terminal B once construction is complete. I don’t know how many gates Frontier needs.

Terminals C and D combined is too many gates for Delta. There will always be room there for at least two other airlines. Maybe we will see Westjet move to Terminal B once the final gate opens there. That will be a while because they still have to demolish all the old roads and bridges that led to the old CTB headhouse. Then they have to fix the apron.

WestJet will stay with DL, even though the JV fell through. And I’d fully expect NK/F9 to relocate out of DL’s space eventually, if not, I’d be willing to bet DL would make it very difficult on them with whatever the worst available gates and space are.

Polot

Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:22 am

snoopaloop wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
AmericanAir88 wrote:

WestJet will stay with DL, even though the JV fell through. And I’d fully expect NK/F9 to relocate out of DL’s space eventually, if not, I’d be willing to bet DL would make it very difficult on them with whatever the worst available gates and space are.

As mentioned C and D combined is too large for DL (and DL+WS), so space will continued to be leased out to other airlines as it is unlikely DL/WS will be larger at LGA anytime soon. Remember spaced leased out is money in DL’s pocket to help offset all that money they are spending to build their new terminal.

Airlines are not as spiteful as you seem to think. As long as NK and F9 pay their lease DL doesn’t care that they are there. Remember LGA is slot controlled-it’s not like F9 or NK (or DL!) can just suddenly make the decision to grow, and it’s not like NK and F9 using gates are what is preventing DL from growing their LGA ops.

blacksoviet

Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:50 am

snoopaloop wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
AmericanAir88 wrote:

I don’t think Spirit cares how good the gates are. I don’t think Spirit or Frontier passengers care which gate they arrive at.

Where do you expect Spirit and Frontier to go? Terminal B is maxed out. The only place they could go is the Marine Terminal but there is not enough gates for both of them there. I could see Frontier moving to the Marine Air Terminal temporarily to allow DL to finish construction on Terminal C.

When completed the combined new Terminals C and D will be about the same size as Terminal B. There will be plenty of room for Spirit and Frontier. I actually think it is more likely that Westjet will move to Terminals A/B and Spirit/Frontier will remain with Delta.

Westjet only uses one gate. They can probably be accommodated in Terminal B once the final gate opens next year.

I look forward to finding out whether or not the old Terminal D concourse will be torn down.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos