Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Air Transat to gradually resume flights from July 23rd

Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:03 pm

From YUL and YYZ, flights to 13 European destinations will be proposed, along with five Sun destinations and an unknown number of domestic routes.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/17 ... air-canada

GCT64

Re: Air Transat to gradually resume flights from July 23rd

Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:15 pm

They are obviously confident that travel restrictions will be eased by then.
I note that their website says "We are pleased to announce the resumption of our flights and tour operator activities as of July 23, 2020, provided that the travel restrictions applicable on that date allow it"

At the moment leisure flights between Canada and the UK are currently somewhere between being banned (for UK citizens) and impractical (for Canadian citizens).
Flown in: A20N,A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..56 more types..),VC10,WESX

ACCS300

Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:40 pm

GCT64 wrote:
I note that their website says "We are pleased to announce the resumption of our flights and tour operator activities as of July 23, 2020, provided that the travel restrictions applicable on that date allow it"

At the moment leisure flights between Canada and the UK are currently somewhere between being banned (for UK citizens) and impractical (for Canadian citizens).

Yes, leaving Canada for us Canadians means 14 day quarantine when returning, no word when that's going to be lifted. Border with USA is still completely closed to all but some commercial traffic.

HJM

Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:29 pm

Yep, citizenship restrictions and quarantine requirements need to be lifted for any meaningful recovery to take place.

ryan78

Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:07 pm

Domestic destinations will be Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal. No word if YQB will get a domestic link to YUL or not but there will be no Europe flying from Western Canada this summer.

AIRTRANSAT767

Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:48 pm

air transat the best go transat go
i love air transat and fan all boeing

PWA732

Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:14 pm

If you look at the date specifically, it appears TransAt has been told that restrictions will be lifted by Aug 1st.

TransAt is a package tour operator, so it makes sense that a one week return trip outbound from Canada on the 23rd will return on Aug. 1st with no quarantine.

Pete.

santi319

Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:58 am

ACCS300 wrote:
Border with USA is still completely closed to all but some commercial traffic.

Its not closed for air transportation just ground crossings FYI

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:26 am

First day's cities are CDG, TLS, LGW and FLL.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... july-2020/

Edit: on some of the French routes liste, TS will be alone this summer without any competition from AC.

MIflyer12

Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:36 am

santi319 wrote:
ACCS300 wrote:

Non-essential travel is still prohibited. There is a new exemption for non-Canadians arriving to reunite with Canadian family.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/co ... s-eng.html

PWA732

Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:09 pm

santi319 wrote:
ACCS300 wrote:

The US is still essentially still closed to air travel, as a 14 day quarantine upon return doesn't work for many unless they are unemployed, or working from home. The RCMP are apparently actively enforcing this rule, and have visited many homes to ensure compliance.

Pete.

jamsco99

Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:25 pm

PWA732 wrote:
santi319 wrote:
ACCS300 wrote:

The US is still essentially still closed to air travel, as a 14 day quarantine upon return doesn't work for many unless they are unemployed, or working from home. The RCMP are apparently actively enforcing this rule, and have visited many homes to ensure compliance.

Pete.

That's good as the RCMP do not operate in Quebec

rampbro

Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:56 pm

jamsco99 wrote:
PWA732 wrote:
santi319 wrote:

Pete.

Dollars to donuts the SQ are just as tough about this, if not tougher.

beechnut

Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:23 pm

jamsco99 wrote:

That is not true. I live in Québec near the US border and RCMP vehicles are omnipresent. From Wikipedia:

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police in Quebec, which is commonly referred to as "C" Division, plays a federal policing role in the Province of Quebec. Approximately 1,500 police officers, civilian members and public servants dedicate their efforts to a number of business lines, including financial integrity, national and border security, and organized crime enforcement. The RCMP in Quebec relies on dedicated resources to conduct investigations, provide VIP protective services and undertake crime prevention initiatives in communities in all areas of Quebec.

Since the COVID-19 imposed quarantine after returning from abroad is a federal statute and is part of border control, they are very much involved in enforcing it.

Beech

brilondon

Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:18 pm

santi319 wrote:
ACCS300 wrote:

You will still be in quarantine for 14 days after arriving from any other place out side of Canada. Until the restrictions are lifted, very few if anyone would want to go out of the country.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

boeing767300

Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:11 pm

For all the reasons outlined in earlier posts they will be operating flights with abysmal load factors. Consequently they will lose money on every flight thus contributing to the ultimate collapse of their share price. Air Canada will be happy to watch Transat evaporate as the EU regulators dither. When the EU finally release their findings it will all be moot as Transat will be too far gone to save.

beechnut

Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:12 pm

boeing767300 wrote:
For all the reasons outlined in earlier posts they will be operating flights with abysmal load factors. Consequently they will lose money on every flight thus contributing to the ultimate collapse of their share price. Air Canada will be happy to watch Transat evaporate as the EU regulators dither. When the EU finally release their findings it will all be moot as Transat will be too far gone to save.

And their A321s might be available at fire-sale prices... a partial fleet merger without the pesky issue of buying overpriced shares. Or if the prices are not so attractive, they at least will have the advantage of nearly immediate availability.

Beech

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:28 am

A332 C-GTSN has been used between YUL and YQB lately probably for pilots training while C-GPTS has been ferried YMX-YUL on July 9th.

ryan78

Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:10 am

I just ran some quick numbers for the first few days of Transats operations resuming to figure out some load factors. This only includes Europe and South flights from July 23 to August 1st. There are a total of 65 flights being operated over these 9 days.

Average for all 65 flights operated:
YUL Avg Load Factor = 50.87%
YYZ Avg Load Factor = 42.57%
Total Avg Load Factor = 47.81%

Outbound stats for people departing Canada:
YUL Avg Outbound Load Factor = 59.18%
YYZ Avg Outbound Load Factor = 41.22%
Total Avg Outbound Load Factor = 52.51%

Honestly it's not too terrible. Most routes will operate at a loss but averaging almost 50% loads on the first week of flying after Covid seems pretty decent to me. Hopefully once the mandatory 14 day quarantine is lifted in Canada loads will pick up again. The A321neoLR's may be Transats saving grace during these difficult times. I'm excited to see them back in the air!

IndianicWorld

Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:32 am

ryan78 wrote:
I just ran some quick numbers for the first few days of Transats operations resuming to figure out some load factors. This only includes Europe and South flights from July 23 to August 1st. There are a total of 65 flights being operated over these 9 days.

Honestly it's not too terrible. Most routes will operate at a loss but averaging almost 50% loads on the first week of flying after Covid seems pretty decent to me. Hopefully once the mandatory 14 day quarantine is lifted in Canada loads will pick up again. The A321neoLR's may be Transats saving grace during these difficult times. I'm excited to see them back in the air!

The numbers aren’t too bad as a base to work from, but there are certainly risks in trying to restart significant operations at this stage.

Agree that using smaller aircraft will certainly assist in ensuring operational flexibility can be achieved.

Unless the global COVID situation is controlled, opening up country borders with no quarantine risk significant issues developing, which could have even higher effects on business.

I know we all want things to return to normal, but things have to be considered first. We want the best for the economy and the health of people, so can only hope that any decisions taken are well thought through.

HVNandrew

Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:39 pm

ACCS300 wrote:
GCT64 wrote:

Yes, leaving Canada for us Canadians means 14 day quarantine when returning, no word when that's going to be lifted. Border with USA is still completely closed to all but some commercial traffic.

I recall reading an article online a week or two ago stating that the quarantine requirement was extended until August 31. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see it extended further, perhaps lifted for arrivals from some countries but remaining in place for others. Given the current state of the virus in the US, it's hard to imagine the quarantine requirement being lifted by then for arrivals from the US.
Last edited by HVNandrew on Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dominion301

Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:43 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
A332 C-GTSN has been used between YUL and YQB lately probably for pilots training while C-GPTS has been ferried YMX-YUL on July 9th.

It's shown up at YOW too along with at least 1 A321.

ryan78 wrote:

Considering domestic Covid-19 cases have spiked 21% in the past week, that won't be happening anytime soon. As things open up (in my opinion too quickly) domestically, it'll just prolong any international quarantine easing.

AIRTRANSAT767

Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:50 pm

I find that have bet well on the A321LR neo! Also I can't wait to see pictures of air transat KSAN
i love air transat and fan all boeing

CDGIAD

Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:56 am

Average load factor of 50% is not bad taking into account the fact that travellers can only be Europeans/Canadians returning home and students starting college abroad.

On CDG-YUL sector on an A321neo with 2 flights per week that's about 200 people. AF and AC are there too.

Somehow I'm still wondering who's flying international long haul these days.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos