Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Antaras
Topic Author

VietJet's A321 skids off runway in SGN

Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:44 am

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/aircraft-skids-off-runway-in-hcmc-amid-heavy-rains-4115370.html
An A321-211WL operated by VietJet Air flying PQC-SGN as flight VJ322 had skidded of the runwar 25L of SGN.
fr24 link: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/vj322#24b1f789
@vnexpress.net
Beautiful landscape :D
Dirty wing
@Vietnam Air Forum

Base on the article:
With Storm Nuri forming over the East Sea early on Saturday, heavy rains and strong winds have lashed many places in southern Vietnam, including HCMC, since the afternoon of Saturday, according to the Southern Region Hydrology Meteorology Forecast Station.

Falling tree branches due to heavy rains killed one man and injured at least another in the city on Saturday.

The storm is heading northward toward the southern coast of China.

The runway has been temporarily closed until 5PM (local time GMT+7)
Last edited by Antaras on Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Edit signature
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Antaras
Topic Author

Re: VietJet's A321 skids off runway in SGN

Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:47 am

Airframe info:
Reg: VN-A657
Type: Airbus A321-211(WL)
MSN: 8215

Edit signature
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:14 am

What's Airbus' SOP for a runway overrun/incident like this? Looks like the evacuation slides have not been deployed, but the flaps and spoilers are still extended?

I know for the B737, the flaps are fully extended to assist pax egress from the overwing emergency exits (should an emergency evacuation be required).

Antaras
Topic Author

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:20 am

889091 wrote:
What's Airbus' SOP for a runway overrun/incident like this? Looks like the evacuation slides have not been deployed, but the flaps and spoilers are still extended?

I know for the B737, the flaps are fully extended to assist pax egress from the overwing emergency exits (should an emergency evacuation be required).

Idk why didn't the crews activated the evacuation slides, as the accident was quite serious. Besides that, it is also nonsensical when the flaps and thrust reservers were still extended (no overwing exit on A321ceo)?

Or the pilots were just busying escaping the aircraft and forgot to deactivate those things?
Edit signature

Antaras
Topic Author

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:56 am

Many flights at SGN have been delayed and cancelled now (affected flights included int'l flight such as EVA), and at this moment both runways are closed. Flights are drawing circles on South Vietnam Airspace and above the South China Sea.
VJ itself has to cancelled approx a dozen of domestic flights which due to be operated by the aircraft engaging in the accident.

Truly a disaster now in SGN. Some flight were diverted to nearby airports such as CXR or VCA.
Edit signature

MrHMSH

Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:25 am

Whoops-a-daisy. I looked at the rain clouds and thought 'that is a motherload of rain' so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that something happened. Plane needs a good scrub down!

B777LRF

Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:47 am

Antaras wrote:
Idk why didn't the crews activated the evacuation slides, as the accident was quite serious. Besides that, it is also nonsensical when the flaps and thrust reservers were still extended (no overwing exit on A321ceo)?

Or the pilots were just busying escaping the aircraft and forgot to deactivate those things?

Or, maybe, instead of accusing the crew of being negligent in their duties, there might have been factors involved in this incident or, indeed, the airline's SOP that might perfectly well explain why the flaps are left in the position they are? Do let us know which criteria you used to assess the seriousness of this incident, and how you measured them. To me it looks like the structural integrity is intact, it's standing on all 3 legs and there's no trace of fire-

Why do people feel the need to speculate on details they haven't got the faintest idea, knowledge of or qualifications on?
Signature. You just read one.

dreamliner8910

Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:48 am

Antaras wrote:
889091 wrote:

- Flaps / Spoilers are extended for/on landing, so it's more a case of why weren't they stowed. I'd imagine it was not a high priority item, and potentially not advisable to stow. What damage is to be done in this scenario with leaving them extended?

- Evacuation is one of the most dangerous things you can do with an aircraft and passengers. You are going to cause mass panic, injury (both guaranteed), and likely death. What in this scenario is serious enough to warrant that? Is there a fire? Is there a reason the passengers need to get off the aircraft in a panicked scenario? Aircraft is on the grass, engines are shut down...what's going to make things worse

- Why would you suggest the pilots were busy getting off the aircraft, what stressor is there once the engines are shut down for the pilots to panic about. You are on firm (ish) land, all heat sources and ignition sources controlled, you are not going anywhere.

DLASFlyer

Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:18 pm

dreamliner8910 wrote:
Evacuation is one of the most dangerous things you can do with an aircraft and passengers. You are going to cause mass panic, injury (both guaranteed), and likely death.

Likely death from people sliding into some grass and maybe getting their shoes muddy?

DAL763ER

Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:25 pm

DLASFlyer wrote:
dreamliner8910 wrote:
Evacuation is one of the most dangerous things you can do with an aircraft and passengers. You are going to cause mass panic, injury (both guaranteed), and likely death.

Likely death from people sliding into some grass and maybe getting their shoes muddy?

From the panic and people trampling each other.

I agree with dreamliner8910 - why activate the slides when the situation is under control? Slides would not help at all in this scenario and cause unnecessary injury.

Weatherwatcher1

Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:31 pm

Antaras wrote:
889091 wrote:

The QRH for the A320 is pretty short if an evacuation is required:

• Parking Brake
  • Notify ATC
  • Notify Cabin Crew
  • Check Zero Delta P (depressurize the airplane)
  • Engines Off
  • Push Fire P/Bs
  • Agents as required
  • Initiate evacuation

Overrunning the the runway is not cause for evacuation. If there was a need to evacuate Such as fire, the QRH does not instruct the pilots to retract flaps/thrust reversers. I don’t see any evidence that the pilots didn’t follow established QRH guidelines

DLASFlyer wrote:
dreamliner8910 wrote:

I’m not so sure about likely death. I don’t think evacuations themselves cause death, but they certainly cause injury. Broken bones and minor injuries are assumed. Think about the risk to a wheelchair passenger. Unlikely death, but serious injury is possible.

Antaras
Topic Author

Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:46 pm

VJ crews decided not to activate the slides as a lesson from the past.
Last year, a VJ's A321neo had both front wheels fallen of while landing. Evacuation slides were deployed, and the Vietnamese people didn't know how to calmly escape the plane.

As a result, several left the plane with broken bones, even though the accident was not as serious as the today runway-skidding incident. However, seems like VJ crews are re-trained with those situations. If there was no last year incident, most likely pax from the today flight would leave the plane by the slides with some unnecessary injuries

https://m.kenh14.vn/dinh-chi-to-bay-sau-vu-vj-356-gap-su-co-nghiem-trong-khi-tiep-dat-khach-phai-nhay-khoi-cua-thoat-hiem-bang-phao-truot-20181201154721783.chn
Edit signature

Antaras
Topic Author

Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:57 pm

By the accident and the closure of SGN, we have the longest TPE-SGN flight in the history.
Check out playback of flight BR395 from Taipei to Ho Chi Minh City on Flightradar24, which took nearly 7 and a half hours :D. https://fr24.com/data/flights/br395#24b1f7ce
Edit signature

Antaras
Topic Author

Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:52 pm

MrHMSH wrote:
Whoops-a-daisy. I looked at the rain clouds and thought 'that is a motherload of rain' so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that something happened. Plane needs a good scrub down!

Well it was a damn rainy evening in Saigon...
======================================
Vietnam authorities revoked the licenses of the 2 pilots engaged in the accident:
https://vnexpress.net/phi-cong-cua-may-bay-truot-khoi-duong-bang-bi-thu-bang-lai-4115474.html
Edit signature

Flow2706

Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:57 pm

The decision to evacuate or not is a judgment call, you have to evaluate the situation and the come to a sound decision within a very short period of time. If there is no imminent danger (fire, smoke in the cabin, major fuel/oil leak etc...) it is usually safer to remain in the aircraft, as evacuation usually causes injuries among the passengers.
The evacuation checklist does not call for flaps and spoilers to be retracted, as mentioned by an earlier post. If the decision is made not to evacuate, but the aircraft is on the grass I would rather leave all items where they are until a proper inspection of the surfaces is carried out to avoid secondary damage. Possibly some item got stuck in between the flaps and causes further damage when the flaps are retracted. This is not a procedure (there is no procedure for "Runway excursion"), but also a judgment call. Airbus advised to leave the flaps extended after landing if the approach was made in icing conditions, as ice on the flaps may damage the mechanism. Same applies in case of severe bird strikes during approach.

DALCE

Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:00 pm

Did they run out of 737’s in Asia :stirthepot: :white:
flown: F50,F70,CR1,CR2,CR9,223,E75,E90,143,AR8,AR1,733,735,736,73G,738,
753,763,744,77W,788,319,320,321,333,AB6.

dreamliner8910

Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:52 pm

The chance of death of a passenger is far far greater in an uncontrolled environment such as an airfield in heavy rain, slippery surfaces, and passengers in a panic than in the controlled environment of an aircraft with no engines running, someone in control, less panicked, non- dangerous environment. Remember Asiana at SFO? I believe it was two deaths having successfully evacuated. You can sit there and say they had to evacuate (yes they did), but the passengers got hit by a fire truck in poor visibility. On the basis an aircrafts just come off the runway, we can assume (a dangerous word I know) that braking action was not as expected. Imagine passengers evacuate, congregate on the taxiway, fire truck comes steaming down in a panic and aquaplanes... I'm not saying death is certain in an evacuation, but in this situation, death is far more likely in an evacuation, than by staying on board.

By the way, the only reason to stow the spoilers would be if you had overwing exits (passengers near moving parts = not good). No overwing exit...no need to stow?

Aesma

Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:51 pm

Is that right engine a write off ? It has eaten a lot of mud it seems.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

spacecadet

Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:45 am

It is SOP at most airlines I know of, not just this one, to initiate an evacuation only when there's imminent danger in remaining inside the aircraft. I don't see what about this accident would indicate imminent danger. Remember that the pilots even have gear temperature sensor readings, and that's about the only thing that I'd be really worried about as a pilot in this situation. (It's surely part of the checklist they were following as well.)

As for flaps, they just ran the plane through a bunch of mud. The right wing, at least, is clearly covered in mud. The last thing you want to do is retract flaps with mud, rocks, and other crud stuck to them. This is also SOP.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

crownvic

Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:39 am

DALCE wrote:
Did they run out of 737’s in Asia :stirthepot: :white:

You just ruined my fun! I was just getting ready to write:
"The A321W is a very unsafe plane and they are getting too old. They should be banned from flying anymore. When are they going to start retiring them? I think these countries should really consider much stricter penalties if airlines continue to fly A321Ws anymore. I don't think they are safe!" :)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos