Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Blerg
Topic Author

Re: Austrian Airlines to shrink by 20% by 2022

Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:32 pm

mercure1 wrote:
It seems 777 fleet wont be used for some period. Apparently crews were told 767 fleet would cover long haul network that will consist only of Bangkok, Chicago, New York and Washington DC. for the immediate future.

Yes, they announced those some weeks ago as the first long-haul destinations to be resumed. All with the exception of Chicago will be operated twice a week, ORD will be three weekly. I guess with their eastern European and Balkan networks it's easier to fill those flights.

WrldTravlr65

Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:26 am

I fear that Austrian's seasonal flights into LAX will not last much longer then based on what we're reading here. A shame. I have flown them twice to Vienna from LAX and they are one of the better airlines I've flown. The food was better than other airlines on which I've traveled (which are many), and I felt the onboard service was top-notch.

Blerg
Topic Author

Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:14 am

WrldTravlr65 wrote:
I fear that Austrian's seasonal flights into LAX will not last much longer then based on what we're reading here. A shame. I have flown them twice to Vienna from LAX and they are one of the better airlines I've flown. The food was better than other airlines on which I've traveled (which are many), and I felt the onboard service was top-notch.

I think that route struggled for a while now. I remember they reduced the frequencies even before corona showed up. Seems like ORD is one of their stronger points in the US, I guess they get a lot of feed from UA.

WrldTravlr65

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:20 am

Very well could be. I know both my flights, LAX-VIE and VIE-LAX, were full last year, but I know that doesn't really mean anything.

lesfalls

Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:33 pm

WrldTravlr65 wrote:
Very well could be. I know both my flights, LAX-VIE and VIE-LAX, were full last year, but I know that doesn't really mean anything.

Were there mainly Austrian onboard or connections?

mercure1

Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:01 pm

First long haul service resumed today.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eb1aJorWoAg ... ame=medium

A321Lufthansa

Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:35 pm

Wow, it was even operated by OE-LAX which is to leave fleet soon. By the way, is the exact date of the retirement of OE-LAT/W/X known already?

bennett123

Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:56 pm

I need dark glasses!!

Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:09 pm

Why not keep the brand but merge the purchasing and similar departments of LH, LX, and OS?
I am sure you get a better deal on aircrafts and jet fuel contracts if you negotiate on behalf of a huge organization instead of each airline separately.

curlowl

Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:22 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Why not keep the brand but merge the purchasing and similar departments of LH, LX, and OS?
I am sure you get a better deal on aircrafts and jet fuel contracts if you negotiate on behalf of a huge organization instead of each airline separately.

You mean exactly what they’re already doing? Because they’re already doing that. And most likely, there won’t be an OS in 2022 so what gives.

acavpics

Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:53 pm

seahawk wrote:
LH group will be the second Alitalia.

Thanks for the laugh :lol:

Blerg
Topic Author

Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:04 am

mercure1 wrote:

Is that a B772 next to them? Did it operate a cargo flight? From what I know there were no plans to operate the 772 on schduled flights for now.

lowwkjax

Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:12 am

Blerg wrote:
mercure1 wrote:

Is that a B772 next to them? Did it operate a cargo flight? From what I know there were no plans to operate the 772 on schduled flights for now.

No, this is a B767-300ER, you can clearly read the name “Salzburger Festspiele”, and when you look it up, you’ll find out that it is their 767 OE-LAX.

Blerg
Topic Author

Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:17 am

lowwkjax wrote:
Blerg wrote:
mercure1 wrote:

No, this is a B767-300ER, you can clearly read the name “Salzburger Festspiele”, and when you look it up, you’ll find out that it is their 767 OE-LAX.

I wrote next to them, in the sense next to the B767, not next to the crew. :)

tcas69

Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:04 am

IAD was served by 777 yesterday, still setting there afaik

VSMUT

Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:29 am

Gotta wonder if not a simplification to an all-A32X family fleet is the way forward for Austrian at this point. An A321LR and XLR combo could replace the widebodies on most routes. They can reach all long-haul destinations except Los Angeles and Tokyo with those.

lowwkjax

Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:20 pm

Blerg wrote:
lowwkjax wrote:
Blerg wrote:

I wrote next to them, in the sense next to the B767, not next to the crew. :)

Whooops :D in this case, yes, it’s OE-LPD, a Triple Seven.

And yes, a 777 is doing IAD-VIE tonight, sat there for 24h due to crew rest on the first flight

NYCVIE

Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:39 am

Wow so much misinformation and just random hate on this thread. OS is not going anywhere. Let's discuss some points:

1. This idea that Eurowings could replace OS is a nonstarter. LHG tried to do this with SN and it failed miserably. Keep in mind that SN is not even as important to Belgians as OS is to Austrians. Eurowings even had major expansion in VIE a few years ago which has been significantly rolled back. I think people have this idea that because EW is LH's "low cost" brand and because the name isn't tied to one particular country it could solve LH's issues in Austria and Belgium but people seem to forget that EW is and has always been (since transforming into a LCC) by far the worst performer in the entire LH group that only exists as a poor reactionary attempt to combat LCC expansion in Germany.

2. OS is not going to fold because of the intense LCC competition. Trump has literally been President longer than Wizz or Ryanair (or Level) have been in VIE. FR lost a great deal of money last year in VIE which we know because it was under the Lauda brand. I would venture to guess that Wizz did as well but we wouldn't know as the blow from VIE would be covered from the overall performance of the entire network in an earnings report. Level was a major loser as well and is already gone. OS was profitable!

3 (and maybe most important). LH would be dumb to let go of a large German speaking market ESPECIALLY considering that OS isn't even a drain on their finances. As another poster pointed out OS' handicap is not their ability to turn a profit, but it's where they stand relative to LH and LX. And consider LH is a massive airline based in a massive market and LX is based in an extremely lucrative market with virtually no competition. For that reason LH has been hesitant to actually invest significantly in OS but worst comes to worst I think LH is perfectly okay with letting OS do what it's been doing and stagnate in return for the benefit they get from being the biggest player in Austria which obviously benefits them directly through OS but as a result of OS dominance in Austria, LH itself has a large tangential benefit as well as they carry many Austria pax on their own flights. It's important to pay attention to that tangential benefit as there's obviously an importance LH places on that - otherwise it wouldn't be worth it to continue to care about SN or to even think about any sort of investment in Alitalia. I think honestly even if OS was continuously posting minor losses LH would still keep it for that strategic value.

As I mentioned before OS isn't a drain on LH and even posted a profit last year with the LCC competition and that's BEFORE we even get to see the result of the changes OS is making to better position itself against the LCCs.

In regards to long haul, yes it is small and will be smaller coming out of COVID, but OS longhaul business has always primarily been focused on bringing people to/from Austria and transfers to Eastern Europe. LH will for the most part connect you over FRA, MUC, ZRH or even through UA and AC before VIE. There isn't a scenario where OS long haul (even pre COVID) would expand past this primary role as Austria is too small, too far east, and too close to FRA, MUC, and ZRH to do much more.

I think a much more valuable conversation is who blinks first in VIE FR or Wizz as I don't think it's sustainable for them to both be there at a high level. I think even a discussion on how much longer LH is going to deal with EW in its current form is a better use of time than discussing OS going bust.

Going forward I think OS will focus on strengthening its existing business. LH and LX's existence in the same group as OS will always be a handicap preventing OS from being much bigger than it already is.

Blerg
Topic Author

Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:47 am

I looked online for their financial performance and all I could find is their €19 million EBIT profit. So that's what they made before taxes and interests. Is there anywhere where I can see the number after taxes and interests have been paid?

LXA340

Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:25 pm

OS didn't manage to be very profitable even during the last years considered as better years in Aviation.

Eventually they will need to have a even slimmer structure which will be achieved with the 20% or more reduction compared to pre COVID-19 and be considered as a boutique, Premium carrier within the LH group simmilar to LX but on smaller scale. This would also involve for the fleet to be modernized, hence especially for the long haul fleet, I have a feeling once this eventually will happen, by latest 2025 we will see only B789's in their long haul fleet. I guess with Leasing contracts, this could be achieved, as there will not be enough financing available to purchase these jets.

aemoreira1981

Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:38 pm

Blerg wrote:
Toinou wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Personally I think they will do fine until 2022/2023 which is when their contracts with employees expire and which is when they are set to operate on their own. Unfortunately OS struggled a lot due to high costs and I don't see them addressing this issue during all these negotiations. I wasn't under the impression they had too many employees but rather than costs in Austria are making them uncompetitive when faced with Wizz Air and Ryanair which are attacking them from all sides.

I'm interested, what costs are making them uncompetitive?
After all, they are in the same group than LX, which probably has much higher salaries.

It's all relative, Swiss isn't facing tough competition in Zurich from Wizz Air and Ryanair the same way Austrian Airlines is in Vienna. Furthermore, we all remember how Swiss was destroyed by easyJet in Geneva some years ago.

VIE...and BTS as well. BTS effectively serves Vienna as well. I honestly cannot see OS long haul lasting much longer. VIE is also less than 200 nautical miles from MUC...I would say that the Lufthansa Group would do better to sell off the B763s for freighter conversion and retire the four owned B772s (returning the two leased frames to AerCap). For long-haul leisure, EW, which could be refocused solely as a leisure operator, could handle that instead. EW needs to have a defined niche in EW...for leisure only. If DUS warrants long-haul service to EWR, that should be in a W pattern from MUC as it was before

Blerg
Topic Author

Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:42 pm

Personally I don't see why some are obsessing about OS' long-haul network. Aegean is far more successful than Austrian Airlines is, they are posting profits, they beat LCCs on their home market and have no intention of flying long-haul. Maybe it's time for OS to copy A3's homework?

stylo777

Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:51 pm

similar to the Swiss market and the position of LX (and WK for this matter), the main reason for OS longhaul is the local demand; steered by tourism as well as manufacturing industry.
Austria is a well-established 365-days a year destination country, but Austrians also like to travel a lot. As a matter of fact, OS (used to) has some of these destinations in their portfolio (MRU, MLE, CPT...).
When it comes to "industrial travel", the latest destination announced was BOS; solely driven my Austrian SME's having ties to companies in the MA area or even their US offices there.
Add to that mix some connex traffic to Eastern Europe and Near East as well as some diplomatic travel (UN major office, OPEC headquarter, ...) and you are well prepared for a positive business case.

Of course, I have to admit that they worked hard on consolidating their longhaul portfolio mix, but they also did their homeworks in selecting the right destinations.

Blerg
Topic Author

Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:05 pm

Yes but then you also have markets such as Milan which has even more long-haul demand than Vienna but Alitalia (and Air Italy and many others) failed to profitably operate long-haul flights from there. Maybe the problem is not the Austrian market and the demand it has but rather OS. That's why I said that maybe they should put greater focus on short-haul flying the same way Aegean has.

mercure1

Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:32 am

With terms of government aid requiring OS reduce its domestic emissions by 50 percent, OS will discontinue service between Vienna and Salzburg and instead offer rail connection starting July 20.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/amp/austrian ... index.html

Blerg
Topic Author

Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:30 am

I don't get it, why are they only obsessing about their domestic network. Shouldn't they cut BUD first? Isn't that one of their shortest routes in the network that could easily be replaced by a train link?

eamondzhang

Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:44 am

Blerg wrote:
I looked online for their financial performance and all I could find is their €19 million EBIT profit. So that's what they made before taxes and interests. Is there anywhere where I can see the number after taxes and interests have been paid?

Try Lufthansa annual report (but I doubt they'll list separately as an 100% owned entity).

Michael
Last edited by eamondzhang on Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

mercure1

Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:44 am

Budapest while it might be only 200km is one hour longer by rail journey than Salzburg nor is there nonstop service from the airport which is one of the government criteria if rail is to replace air.

Blerg
Topic Author

Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:47 am

mercure1 wrote:
Budapest while it might be only 200km is one hour longer by rail journey than Salzburg nor is there nonstop service from the airport which is one of the government criteria if rail is to replace air.

Well if they cared so much about the environment they would have included a stop at the airport. ;) There are several daily trains between the two cities so it's not like they have to introduce a whole new, separate train line.

Blerg
Topic Author

Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:48 am

eamondzhang wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Try Lufthansa annual report (but I doubt they'll list separately as an 100% owned entity).

Michael

Thank you, I will check it out.

Number6

Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:31 am

Blerg wrote:
I don't get it, why are they only obsessing about their domestic network. Shouldn't they cut BUD first? Isn't that one of their shortest routes in the network that could easily be replaced by a train link?

Budapest is actually a large market for transfer passengers at Wien. I flew back from Košice last November and the flight also stopped at Budapest. At Košice we had perhaps 10 passengers onboard, but the Dash 8 filled right up at Budapest. So I’m imagining that Austrian sees a fair few transfers from Budapest.

Incidentally, the flight time for both legs was around 40 mins each. Enough time for a quick coffee from Košice.

Bhoy

Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:38 am

Blerg wrote:

One of the requirements is to cut CO2 emissions within Austria by 50% - so a flight to a non-domestic destination doesn’t help with that target.

(The full details of what’s attached to the state bailout are here if you want to look them up: https://www.austrianairlines.ag/Press/P ... CB68ED8%7d)

Blerg
Topic Author

Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:07 pm

Bhoy wrote:
Blerg wrote:

One of the requirements is to cut CO2 emissions within Austria by 50% - so a flight to a non-domestic destination doesn’t help with that target.

(The full details of what’s attached to the state bailout are here if you want to look them up: https://www.austrianairlines.ag/Press/P ... CB68ED8%7d)

Which is why this decision was driven by finances and not by genuine care for the environment. If they really wanted to save planet earth then they would have cut all short flights from VIE, not only those which generally struggled to make a profit.

Blerg
Topic Author

Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:08 pm

Number6 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Budapest is actually a large market for transfer passengers at Wien. I flew back from Košice last November and the flight also stopped at Budapest. At Košice we had perhaps 10 passengers onboard, but the Dash 8 filled right up at Budapest. So I’m imagining that Austrian sees a fair few transfers from Budapest.

Incidentally, the flight time for both legs was around 40 mins each. Enough time for a quick coffee from Košice.

That's interesting, I didn't know they flew to KSC via BUD. Maybe they linked the two cities due to a light load out of Kosice?

Number6

Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:59 pm

It’s only the early morning flight from Košice that makes a stop at Budapest. The afternoon Košice flight is direct in both directions

stylo777

Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:52 pm

I don't recall the exact reason, but it was only for the month of November '19 that they operated one of the flights via BUD.
Today, BUD has not even been restarted by OS and KSC is served 5x weekly. From August onwards, things get back to "normal" with BUD seeing 4x daily flights and KSC almost 2x daily (all nonstop).

In regards to the train: it's certainly driven by economics, but it also makes the environmentalists happy. And yes, it is only possible with a direct city-to-airport link; otherwise, doesn't add any value at all. Unfortunately, the first train from Salzburg (city) doesn't reach VIE before 8:57. Quite tight to reach the first longhaul to EWR (departs at 10:15) considering you have to get off the train, carry your bag to the check-in, go through security, passport and secondary security checks. This particular train also misses the first EU morning departure bank. I have a feeling that all of this will steer Salzburg-based people to either LH (which perfectly reaches FRA at 08:10 to catch all connections), TK (also offering decent connections East-bound), LCC's for European destinations and last but not least people actually driving to MUC to take a direct flight (depending on their location it takes around 2 hrs. to reach MUC).

In contrary, the whole scenario looks a bit differently at GRZ (at least to me...). You don't have those alternatives nor any convenient train connections. There are 5 direct trains from Graz city to VIE airport, but it takes 3:00 hours and the first one doesn't reach the airport before 10:27 in the late morning (unless they change it to an express train and add a very early departure).

Blerg
Topic Author

Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:59 am

stylo777 wrote:
I don't recall the exact reason, but it was only for the month of November '19 that they operated one of the flights via BUD.
Today, BUD has not even been restarted by OS and KSC is served 5x weekly. From August onwards, things get back to "normal" with BUD seeing 4x daily flights and KSC almost 2x daily (all nonstop).

In regards to the train: it's certainly driven by economics, but it also makes the environmentalists happy. And yes, it is only possible with a direct city-to-airport link; otherwise, doesn't add any value at all. Unfortunately, the first train from Salzburg (city) doesn't reach VIE before 8:57. Quite tight to reach the first longhaul to EWR (departs at 10:15) considering you have to get off the train, carry your bag to the check-in, go through security, passport and secondary security checks. This particular train also misses the first EU morning departure bank. I have a feeling that all of this will steer Salzburg-based people to either LH (which perfectly reaches FRA at 08:10 to catch all connections), TK (also offering decent connections East-bound), LCC's for European destinations and last but not least people actually driving to MUC to take a direct flight (depending on their location it takes around 2 hrs. to reach MUC).

In contrary, the whole scenario looks a bit differently at GRZ (at least to me...). You don't have those alternatives nor any convenient train connections. There are 5 direct trains from Graz city to VIE airport, but it takes 3:00 hours and the first one doesn't reach the airport before 10:27 in the late morning (unless they change it to an express train and add a very early departure).

It might become even more interesting if Wizz Air keeps on expanding in both FMM and SZG. They might redirect many passengers from that catchment area to fly from those airports in stead of going to either VIE or MUC.

Blerg
Topic Author

Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:41 am

I guess this will have a domino effect as Austrian Airlines relies heavily on transfer passengers from these markets.

Austrian government bans flights from the western Balkans as well as from Romania, Bulgaria, Egypt and Moldova.

I guess their flights from Vienna to places like Chicago will be quite empty now.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory ... 0-71768006

Bhoy

Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:00 pm

Blerg wrote:
I guess this will have a domino effect as Austrian Airlines relies heavily on transfer passengers from these markets.

Austrian government bans flights from the western Balkans as well as from Romania, Bulgaria, Egypt and Moldova.

I guess their flights from Vienna to places like Chicago will be quite empty now.

The US still isn't letting anyone in from Europe, anyway. And there can't be that many US Passport holders/permanent US Residents in the Balkans still wanting to return home by now? So I don't imagine this will make the Chicago flight any quieter...

Blerg
Topic Author

Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:06 pm

Bhoy wrote:
Blerg wrote:

The US still isn't letting anyone in from Europe, anyway. And there can't be that many US Passport holders/permanent US Residents in the Balkans still wanting to return home by now? So I don't imagine this will make the Chicago flight any quieter...

Well, there must have been enough passengers for them to make ORD their highest frequency destination in the US. I've flown on this route many times and all I could hear onboard were Balkan languages.

Bhoy

Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:17 pm

Blerg wrote:
Bhoy wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Well, there must have been enough passengers for them to make ORD their highest frequency destination in the US. I've flown on this route many times and all I could hear onboard were Balkan languages.

Sure, but not during Covid times, surely?

From the CDC https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... tries.html

With specific exceptions, foreign nationals who have been in any of the following countries during the past 14 days may not enter the United States. For a full list of exceptions, please refer to the relevant proclamations in the links below.
China
Iran
European Schengen area
(Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican City)
United Kingdom
(England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland)
Republic of Ireland
Brazil

As further provided in each proclamation, citizens and lawful permanent residents of the United States, certain family members, and other individuals who meet specified exceptions, who have been in one of the countries listed above in the past 14 days will be allowed to enter the United States through one of 15 airports. After arriving to the United States from one of these countries, CDC recommends that travelers stay home and monitor their health for 14 days. More information about what to do after arriving to the United States is available on CDC’s Returning from International Travel webpage.

So anyone transiting in Vienna isn't allowed entry to the US, anyway, except for US Citizens, Permanent residents of the United States, or exceptions (diplomats, flight crew and family members of the above).

Blerg
Topic Author

Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:02 pm

Bhoy wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Bhoy wrote:

Sure, but not during Covid times, surely?

From the CDC https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... tries.html

With specific exceptions, foreign nationals who have been in any of the following countries during the past 14 days may not enter the United States. For a full list of exceptions, please refer to the relevant proclamations in the links below.
China
Iran
European Schengen area
(Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican City)
United Kingdom
(England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland)
Republic of Ireland
Brazil

As further provided in each proclamation, citizens and lawful permanent residents of the United States, certain family members, and other individuals who meet specified exceptions, who have been in one of the countries listed above in the past 14 days will be allowed to enter the United States through one of 15 airports. After arriving to the United States from one of these countries, CDC recommends that travelers stay home and monitor their health for 14 days. More information about what to do after arriving to the United States is available on CDC’s Returning from International Travel webpage.

So anyone transiting in Vienna isn't allowed entry to the US, anyway, except for US Citizens, Permanent residents of the United States, or exceptions (diplomats, flight crew and family members of the above).

Well most people who connect in VIE on their way to ORD are US citizens or legal residents. I am referring to the diaspora here. Who else would OS carry these days?

Blerg
Topic Author

Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:44 am

As predicted, VIE-ORD is temporarily suspended. OS has cancelled a total of 14 flights, affecting 30.000 passengers out of which 70% are transfers.

https://www.austrianaviation.net/detail ... h-chicago/

MartijnNL

Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:21 am

Blerg wrote:
Which is why this decision was driven by finances and not by genuine care for the environment. If they really wanted to save planet earth then they would have cut all short flights from VIE, not only those which generally struggled to make a profit.

Planet Earth won't be saved by cutting short flights.

Blerg
Topic Author

Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:40 am

MartijnNL wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Planet Earth won't be saved by cutting short flights.

I agree with you but hypocritical activists and politicians don't care. As long as PR is working in their favor.

A321Lufthansa

Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:39 am

So, were OE-LZA/B reconfigured in BTS and TLL respectively? Here (https://sites.google.com/site/lhgroupfleet/austrian) it had been showing for a month that they were having their cabin refurbished. Recently it was removed. Does it mean that the process is already finished or wasn't it going at all?

Blerg
Topic Author

Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:22 am

In Q2 2020 Austrian Airlines reported an EBIT loss of 99 million Euros, down from a profit of 46 million Euros the year before.

https://www.austrianaviation.net/detail ... nus-im-q2/

Blerg
Topic Author

Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:00 am

I see that OE-LAX is currently operating a flight from IAD to VIE. Wasn't it supposed to be retired by now?

Blerg
Topic Author

Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:27 am

VIE performance in August.

797.716 passengers, around 25% of last year's numbers. So far this year the airport welcomed 6,464,632 passengers which is a drop of 69%. From what I remember this drop isn't as big as most European airports, I guess Wizz Air helped them out as they have been rushing to establish normal operations.

https://www.airliners.de/flughafen-wien-august/57342

factsonly

Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:13 am

Blerg wrote:
VIE performance in August.

797.716 passengers, around 25% of last year's numbers. So far this year the airport welcomed 6,464,632 passengers which is a drop of 69%. From what I remember this drop isn't as big as most European airports, I guess Wizz Air helped them out as they have been rushing to establish normal operations.

https://www.airliners.de/flughafen-wien-august/57342

Here are some other European airports for comparison:

Passenger Numbers - August 2020:

1. AMS 1.854.786 (-72,8%)
2. FRA 1.511.185 (-78%)
3. LHR 1.418.683 (-82%)
4. VIE 797.716 (-75%)
5. ZRH 725.337 (-76,7%)
6. CPH 621.215 (-78,9%)

Source: airport traffic reports.