Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CRJ5000

Re: JetBlue Airport Outsourcing

Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:59 pm

DELTA777 wrote:
Rumored cities are:

BUR, SMF, RNO, PHX, ABQ, MSP, DEN, DFW, CLE, ROC, SYR, SRQ, SAV, ORH, ALB, BTV.

Employees in some of the listed stations have confirmed the closure of their station, but I think it would be best to wait for an official statement.

I'm somewhat surprised these cities weren't already outsourced.
I guess it kind of adds up - I've flown JetBlue fairly extensively and can say that I don't think I've ever had a bad experience with airport staff at any station and they've always been competent at their jobs which seems to be a rarity at outsourced stations. It makes a huge difference having your own staff.

My sympathies for anyone impacted. I've been outsourced before back in my station ops days and can confirm... it absolutely sucks. I worked my way up the ladder and eventually ended up in management. The higher I got, the worse it was, and every year they somehow managed to take more benefits away and make working conditions even worse for the frontline workers.
I got into a different aviation field and got a job with an actual airline and my only regret is not doing it much sooner.

I do understand it from a business standpoint though, just sucks that it's become the norm nowadays.

NWAESC

Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:16 pm

Blueknows wrote:
NWAESC wrote:
Which other cities?

What station do you work at

I don’t work for B6. I’m just curious.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

strfyr51

Re: B6 AO Outsourcing

Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:08 am

USAavdork wrote:
cessna53996: BZN, HDN and PSP were outsourced from day 1 as they are non daily, seasonal stations.

Here’s my guesses:

SMF
SJC
ONT
BUR
PDX
ABQ
DFW
IAH
SMF
RNO

those are all good and solid stations where B6 can add some variety. But they are also Mainline stations for United American Delta and Alaska. Other than that? Welcome to the Pool !!
]

strfyr51

Re: B6 AO Outsourcing

Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:13 am

malaysia wrote:
Sure hope they can find handlers, handlers are struggling now due to lack of contracts and not enough revenue to stay in business at some stations.

If they play Nice? Then maybe they can get maintenance and groun services from one of the big 3 as all e fly Airbus and know the airplane but B6 would more than likely have to get their OWN gate and counter people.

santi319

Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:39 am

Its all fun and games until the industry hits a rough patch. THIS IS WHY YOU NEED A UNION!

I feel bad for them.

BlueBaller

Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:47 am

Wow this thread is annoyingAF. JetBlue hasn't even formally announced anything yet regarding outsourcing and this drifted harder than a Fast N Furious movie.

catiii

Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:50 pm

BlueBaller wrote:
Wow this thread is annoyingAF. JetBlue hasn't even formally announced anything yet regarding outsourcing and this drifted harder than a Fast N Furious movie.

They’ve made a number of internal announcements to leadership and have notified the effected cities.

janders

Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:54 pm

As a reminder - this thread is about JetBlue outsourcing station staffing and handling, not about EWR expansion, Mint product, pilot or FA contracts, or NY terminal ownership.

Please stay on topic.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

trueblew

Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:19 pm

catiii wrote:
BlueBaller wrote:

They’ve made a number of internal announcements to leadership and have notified the effected cities.

So, which are the affected cities? If they have been notified it isn't improper to list them here.

LAXintl

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:59 pm

The cities are:

ABQ, ALB, BUR, BTV, CLE, DEN, DFW, DTW, IAH, JAX, MSP, ORH, PDX, PHX, RNO, ROC, SAV, SJC, SMF, SRQ, SYR
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

mercure1

Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:13 pm

I never quite understood what U.S. airline fascination is with staffing stations inhouse when globally the norm is to use contract vendors. Heck some large airlines even contract out handling in their hubs to vendors.

Seems so obvious that using a vendor makes sense for JetBlue across most of their network due to relatively low volume of activity. Simply cant be cost-effective to maintain own staff, equipment, offices, at most destinations.
mercure f-wtcc

santi319

Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:23 pm

mercure1 wrote:
I never quite understood what U.S. airline fascination is with staffing stations inhouse when globally the norm is to use contract vendors. Heck some large airlines even contract out handling in their hubs to vendors.

Seems so obvious that using a vendor makes sense for JetBlue across most of their network due to relatively low volume of activity. Simply cant be cost-effective to maintain own staff, equipment, offices, at most destinations.

Literally no one else had inhouse but Jetblue and a few legacies that had unionize workforce. Everybody else is outsource.

I personally feel like its a shame. None of these employees will take pride in who they work for as they don’t actually work for them. Its all temp jobs..

LAXintl

Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:45 pm

santi319 wrote:

I personally feel like its a shame. None of these employees will take pride in who they work for as they don’t actually work for them. Its all temp jobs..

I have been involved with ground ops on/off for almost 30-years and can tell you I have had many vendor stations perform better than inhouse staffed stations - be it OT performance, baggage times, customer comments, injuries/accidents, etc.

It really comes down to contract management, SLA, and setting the right expectations.

Ground handling has not evolved globally to the scale it has just because its can be cheaper. Instead, vendors have proven they can deliver a very high touch quality product for some of the most discerning airline customers - be it the SQ, EK, QR, CX, QF, LX, etc. Some have even opted to contract out their home hubs to vendors.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

canyonblue17

Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:45 pm

"Literally no one else had inhouse but Jetblue and a few legacies that had unionize workforce. Everybody else is outsource."

Southwest is inhouse in the vast majority of stations.
negative ghostrider the pattern is full

canyonblue17

Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:00 pm

As far as service goes - I have spent the last 16 years working at an airport with in-house and contract employees. Yes there are good and bad in both, but remember - in general you get what you pay for. I remember the day after a certain airline went contract on the ramp - a ground air hose was left in the wrong place. The 757 pilot spooled up the engine and sucked the hose right in. Needless to say it cancelled the flight and cost almost $1million to replace the engine. Just an example. I am sure there are many on both sides.
negative ghostrider the pattern is full

lesfalls

Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:47 pm

canyonblue17 wrote:
As far as service goes - I have spent the last 16 years working at an airport with in-house and contract employees. Yes there are good and bad in both, but remember - in general you get what you pay for. I remember the day after a certain airline went contract on the ramp - a ground air hose was left in the wrong place. The 757 pilot spooled up the engine and sucked the hose right in. Needless to say it cancelled the flight and cost almost $1million to replace the engine. Just an example. I am sure there are many on both sides.

I've heard the same. When LH outsourced their ground-handling at MAD a couple of years back there were many mistakes at first and still is the case with some things. If I'm not mistaken some A.netter had a quote of one of AAs late CEOs on why having in-house ops was always very important compared to vendors. He still stays true to the point with their MAD and LHR ops being in-house.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

NWAESC

Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:56 pm

santi319 wrote:
Literally no one else had inhouse but Jetblue and a few legacies that had unionize workforce. Everybody else is outsource.

There are 1000's of DL employees that will be surprised to read this.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos