Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

usxguy

Re: LATAM shuts down LATAM Argentina

Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:54 pm

dcajet wrote:
usxguy wrote:
Regarding the LAN Argentina ad, I think most airlines advertise prices in USD vs CHP and ArP. Much more stable.

Both countries have their own currencies. It is against the law to advertise locally in any currency that is not the local legal tender. The only sector you will see prices quoted in US$, unofficially, is in real estate. Actual sale contract is in the local currency.

Ah, when working on the new PSS for an airline down there, part of the requirement was to accept USD, CHP, ARS but the core on the IBE was all in USD. It wasn't fun trying to balance all 3. The ARS moved by 10% on some days. The banner ads on the website reflected in USD on the core routes, but a few were in ARS/CHP. Unless that's just a Chile thing, but I thought I saw the same in magazines & tourism brochures. This was... 4 years ago?
xx

dcajet
Topic Author

Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:12 pm

AntonioMartin wrote:
Sad to see it go after 15 years!

On the other hand, I know some (rather) famous folks who are probably sad to see it go as well:

The folks at Boxeo de Primera, Argentina's premier professional live boxing show for the last 25 years, were always praising LATAM Argentina for getting them in time to their next telecast city and criticizing Aerolineas argentinas!!

Since nothing on TV is for free... maybe they got free tickets on LATAM, hence the praise?
Keep calm and wash your hands.

dcajet
Topic Author

Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:19 pm

usxguy wrote:
dcajet wrote:
usxguy wrote:
Regarding the LAN Argentina ad, I think most airlines advertise prices in USD vs CHP and ArP. Much more stable.

Both countries have their own currencies. It is against the law to advertise locally in any currency that is not the local legal tender. The only sector you will see prices quoted in US$, unofficially, is in real estate. Actual sale contract is in the local currency.

Ah, when working on the new PSS for an airline down there, part of the requirement was to accept USD, CHP, ARS but the core on the IBE was all in USD. It wasn't fun trying to balance all 3. The ARS moved by 10% on some days. The banner ads on the website reflected in USD on the core routes, but a few were in ARS/CHP. Unless that's just a Chile thing, but I thought I saw the same in magazines & tourism brochures. This was... 4 years ago?

At least in Argentina, local flights are always quoted and advertised in AR$, even international ones. I am not exactly clear to what case you may be referring to, but it seems to be some supplier-side system, where dealing with multiple currencies is needed.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

AntonioMartin

Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:38 am

dcajet wrote:
AntonioMartin wrote:
Sad to see it go after 15 years!

On the other hand, I know some (rather) famous folks who are probably sad to see it go as well:

The folks at Boxeo de Primera, Argentina's premier professional live boxing show for the last 25 years, were always praising LATAM Argentina for getting them in time to their next telecast city and criticizing Aerolineas argentinas!!

Since nothing on TV is for free... maybe they got free tickets on LATAM, hence the praise?

That might have been the case! LOL

DUSZRH

Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:50 am

dcajet wrote:
usxguy wrote:
dcajet wrote:

At least in Argentina, local flights are always quoted and advertised in AR$, even international ones. I am not exactly clear to what case you may be referring to, but it seems to be some supplier-side system, where dealing with multiple currencies is needed.

I have found Hotel prices in AR are mostly quoted in USD (due to the delay between booking and payment). Flights (and ads of them) I’ve only seen in ARS.