Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
enilria
Topic Author
Posts: 10182
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Updated: Airport Says 2 MCO Employees Have COVID

Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:22 pm

The airport has sort of denied it, but the denial does not have a lot of numbers behind it. The key point is that these are cumulative since the start and not newly discovered.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local ... new-cases/
 
flyiguy
Posts: 995
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:21 pm

Re: Governor Says 260 MCO Employees Have COVID

Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:41 pm

The report statement was made and out of 500 employees tested 2 were positive.

Governor DeSantis has emphasized the benefit of testing for COVID-19 and contact tracing throughout the state. MCO had 132 employees test positive for COVID-19. Through contact tracing of those employees, an additional 128 individuals not associated with the airport tested positive for COVID-19 resulting in 260 total positive cases. We appreciate MCO’s commitment to working with the Orange County Health Department, the Florida Department of Health and for ensuring best practices are followed for the health and safety of all employees and visitors to the airport,” communications director Helen Ferre said Wednesday afternoon.

FLY[/quote]
The opinions I post are of mine and mine alone, not of the airline I work for.
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 4107
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Governor Says 260 MCO Employees Have COVID

Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:36 am

Just a reminder that political comments belong in the Non Aviation Forum. Please discuss the aviation impacts to this story here.

✈️ atcsundevil
 
williaminsd
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:52 pm

Re: Governor Says 260 MCO Employees Have COVID

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:06 am

flyiguy wrote:
The report statement was made and out of 500 employees tested 2 were positive.

Governor DeSantis has emphasized the benefit of testing for COVID-19 and contact tracing throughout the state. MCO had 132 employees test positive for COVID-19. Through contact tracing of those employees, an additional 128 individuals not associated with the airport tested positive for COVID-19 resulting in 260 total positive cases. We appreciate MCO’s commitment to working with the Orange County Health Department, the Florida Department of Health and for ensuring best practices are followed for the health and safety of all employees and visitors to the airport,” communications director Helen Ferre said Wednesday afternoon.

FLY
[/quote]

^This...

Just two in the recent round of testing, not 260. The 260 is a cume, and even of those, only 132 are actual airport employees. The two who tested positive are out of over 25,000 airport employees.

This kind of inflammatory misinformation helps nothing. The Governor's office should have waited for clarification of the time-frame, but in matters Covid, the most preposterous claims seem to carry the day, especially if they validate the preferred narrative.

It's safe to fly out of MCO, and most of the nation for that matter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MCO/status/1 ... 61/photo/1
Last edited by williaminsd on Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
 
KFTG
Posts: 803
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:08 am

Re: Governor Says 260 MCO Employees Have COVID

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:08 am

What point is the OP trying to make? How many are symptomatic? How many are hospitalized? How many have died?

And they are testing positive for the virus, not COVID-19. COVID-19 is the disease you potentially get after being infected with SARS-COV-2. (A vast majority will never get the disease.)

SARS-COV-2 is to HIV as COVID-19 is to AIDS.

Please make an attempt to get the basics right.
 
User avatar
enilria
Topic Author
Posts: 10182
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: Governor Says 260 MCO Employees Have COVID

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:27 am

The OP is just reporting the news. The point is that a lot of airport employees nationwide have gotten COVID. I know of nearly 80 so far at another airport. For the size of Orlando I wouldn’t be surprised if the real number is that high. The culture is not tracking cases by severity, rightly or wrongly so that’s just the world we live in.

KFTG wrote:
What point is the OP trying to make? How many are symptomatic? How many are hospitalized? How many have died?

And they are testing positive for the virus, not COVID-19. COVID-19 is the disease you potentially get after being infected with SARS-COV-2. (A vast majority will never get the disease.)

SARS-COV-2 is to HIV as COVID-19 is to AIDS.

Please make an attempt to get the basics right.
 
Scarebus34
Posts: 523
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: Governor Says 260 MCO Employees Have COVID

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:31 am

Thread title is inaccurate. Only 2 out of 500 recently tested positive.
 
williaminsd
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:52 pm

Re: Governor Says 260 MCO Employees Have COVID

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:34 am

enilria wrote:
The OP is just reporting the news. The point is that a lot of airport employees nationwide have gotten COVID. I know of nearly 80 so far at another airport. For the size of Orlando I wouldn’t be surprised if the real number is that high. The culture is not tracking cases by severity, rightly or wrongly so that’s just the world we live in.

KFTG wrote:
What point is the OP trying to make? How many are symptomatic? How many are hospitalized? How many have died?

And they are testing positive for the virus, not COVID-19. COVID-19 is the disease you potentially get after being infected with SARS-COV-2. (A vast majority will never get the disease.)

SARS-COV-2 is to HIV as COVID-19 is to AIDS.

Please make an attempt to get the basics right.


You use the term "have" in the subject line. That is completely misleading and inflammatory.
 
User avatar
STT757
Posts: 14103
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 1:14 am

Re: Governor Says 260 MCO Employees Have COVID

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:30 pm

At the peak the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey had over 700 staff home sick with Covid (including the Director). Most have returned to work.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 14425
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Governor Says 260 MCO Employees Have COVID

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:37 pm

enilria wrote:
The OP is just reporting the news. The point is that a lot of airport employees nationwide have gotten COVID. I know of nearly 80 so far at another airport. For the size of Orlando I wouldn’t be surprised if the real number is that high. The culture is not tracking cases by severity, rightly or wrongly so that’s just the world we live in.


The point is sort of self-evident, no? Some air travel is essential, and there are portions of the air travel/aircraft handling process where social distancing isn't really practical.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
User avatar
enilria
Topic Author
Posts: 10182
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: Governor Says 260 MCO Employees Have COVID

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:09 pm

williaminsd wrote:
enilria wrote:
The OP is just reporting the news. The point is that a lot of airport employees nationwide have gotten COVID. I know of nearly 80 so far at another airport. For the size of Orlando I wouldn’t be surprised if the real number is that high. The culture is not tracking cases by severity, rightly or wrongly so that’s just the world we live in.

KFTG wrote:
What point is the OP trying to make? How many are symptomatic? How many are hospitalized? How many have died?

And they are testing positive for the virus, not COVID-19. COVID-19 is the disease you potentially get after being infected with SARS-COV-2. (A vast majority will never get the disease.)

SARS-COV-2 is to HIV as COVID-19 is to AIDS.

Please make an attempt to get the basics right.


You use the term "have" in the subject line. That is completely misleading and inflammatory.

Did you read the article headline?
"Florida governor says 260 Orlando airport workers tested positive for COVID-19"

I changed it to "have" (past tense) because the airport says it is cumulative since COVID began (and disputes the number) while the headline implies they just tested positive this week.
 
User avatar
PW100
Posts: 4110
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 9:17 pm

Re: Governor Says 260 MCO Employees Have COVID

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:32 pm

williaminsd wrote:
^This...

Just two in the recent round of testing, not 260. The 260 is a cume, and even of those, only 132 are actual airport employees. The two who tested positive are out of over 25,000 airport employees.

This kind of inflammatory misinformation helps nothing.


IF I understand correctly, the two positive tested came out of a group of 500, not 25000.

. . . inflammatory misinformation . . . pot . . . kettle . . .
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 19726
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Updated: Airport Says 2 MCO Employees Have COVID

Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:11 pm

Link 2 +ve:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politic ... story.html

I'm getting tired of everything overblown with Covid19. It is a risk. It will slow aviation growth, but everything overblown and extreme views, there is a middle ground.

Note: If masks are worn properly, contagion is reduced by 77% (paper masks) to 96% for a respirator. Fake news of over reporting will have more people not following sensible guidelines.

https://people.com/health/social-distan ... -confirms/

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.
 
williaminsd
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:52 pm

Re: Governor Says 260 MCO Employees Have COVID

Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:56 pm

PW100 wrote:
williaminsd wrote:
^This...

Just two in the recent round of testing, not 260. The 260 is a cume, and even of those, only 132 are actual airport employees. The two who tested positive are out of over 25,000 airport employees.

This kind of inflammatory misinformation helps nothing.


IF I understand correctly, the two positive tested came out of a group of 500, not 25000.

. . . inflammatory misinformation . . . pot . . . kettle . . .


The post I quoted specifically notes the latest test was 500 people. I was adding the new information. Sorry that was so difficult for you to follow.
 
williaminsd
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:52 pm

Re: Governor Says 260 MCO Employees Have COVID

Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:58 pm

enilria wrote:
williaminsd wrote:
enilria wrote:
The OP is just reporting the news. The point is that a lot of airport employees nationwide have gotten COVID. I know of nearly 80 so far at another airport. For the size of Orlando I wouldn’t be surprised if the real number is that high. The culture is not tracking cases by severity, rightly or wrongly so that’s just the world we live in.



You use the term "have" in the subject line. That is completely misleading and inflammatory.

Did you read the article headline?
"Florida governor says 260 Orlando airport workers tested positive for COVID-19"

I changed it to "have" (past tense) because the airport says it is cumulative since COVID began (and disputes the number) while the headline implies they just tested positive this week.


"Have" is past tense? Huh...
 
santi319
Posts: 1002
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:24 pm

Re: Updated: Airport Says 2 MCO Employees Have COVID

Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:48 pm

You would think in an airlines’ oriented website people would be rooting for the airline industry and their employees, but no.. amazing.
 
User avatar
enilria
Topic Author
Posts: 10182
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: Updated: Airport Says 2 MCO Employees Have COVID

Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:03 am

The Airport spokesperson said "“MCO had 132 employees test positive for COVID-19."
"Between mid-March and through June 6, there were 132 employees of all the airlines, rental car companies, the Transportation Security Administration and the Aviation Authority that tested positive, according to the statement."
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local ... statement/
Why does the title now say 2?
 
KFTG
Posts: 803
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:08 am

Re: Updated: Airport Says 2 MCO Employees Have COVID

Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:39 am

Because you lied.
 
L1011dal
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2001 9:41 am

Re: Updated: Airport Says 2 MCO Employees Have COVID

Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:44 am

The news item is regarding recent test from last week when 500 were tested and only 2 positive. Others got mixed in when all the numbers went sideways from previous months.
 
planecane
Posts: 1559
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:58 pm

Re: Updated: Airport Says 2 MCO Employees Have COVID

Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:34 am

I'm starting to suspect false positive tests in a lot of these asymptomatic cases. It doesn't make sense for a virus to have absolutely no symptoms in so many people but be serious and kill others.
 
Scarebus34
Posts: 523
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: Updated: Airport Says 2 MCO Employees Have COVID

Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:24 am

enilria wrote:
The Airport spokesperson said "“MCO had 132 employees test positive for COVID-19."
"Between mid-March and through June 6, there were 132 employees of all the airlines, rental car companies, the Transportation Security Administration and the Aviation Authority that tested positive, according to the statement."
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local ... statement/
Why does the title now say 2?

because only 2 have it....
 
ikramerica
Posts: 15087
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 9:33 am

Re: Updated: Airport Says 2 MCO Employees Have COVID

Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:49 am

planecane wrote:
I'm starting to suspect false positive tests in a lot of these asymptomatic cases. It doesn't make sense for a virus to have absolutely no symptoms in so many people but be serious and kill others.

Yes, it does.

Most virus related deaths come from the body’s reaction to the virus. Many people have a mild response, or properly destroy it before it does anything.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.
 
Flflyer83
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:40 pm

Re: Updated: Airport Says 2 MCO Employees Have COVID

Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:23 am

planecane wrote:
I'm starting to suspect false positive tests in a lot of these asymptomatic cases. It doesn't make sense for a virus to have absolutely no symptoms in so many people but be serious and kill others.


It’s the false negatives you should be concerned with which can be caused by any number of things from incorrect sample procurement to issues during shipping to issues in the lab.

Also, hospitalized patient’s are tested multiple times each and if they’re negative, that could be three, four, or even five negative tests over a matter of 7 days, whereas a patient that tests positive won’t be repeatedly tested until symptoms improve so you end up with multiple negative tests being for the same person at a much higher ratio than you do for positive tests being for the same people.
 
planecane
Posts: 1559
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:58 pm

Re: Updated: Airport Says 2 MCO Employees Have COVID

Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:20 am

Flflyer83 wrote:
planecane wrote:
I'm starting to suspect false positive tests in a lot of these asymptomatic cases. It doesn't make sense for a virus to have absolutely no symptoms in so many people but be serious and kill others.


It’s the false negatives you should be concerned with which can be caused by any number of things from incorrect sample procurement to issues during shipping to issues in the lab.

Also, hospitalized patient’s are tested multiple times each and if they’re negative, that could be three, four, or even five negative tests over a matter of 7 days, whereas a patient that tests positive won’t be repeatedly tested until symptoms improve so you end up with multiple negative tests being for the same person at a much higher ratio than you do for positive tests being for the same people.


I'm sure there are false negatives also. Like you said the sample procurement probably being the biggest issue. However, I know of a hospital in a populated area that has been treating COVID patients since this all started. They did the antibody test on the entire ICU staff and none of them had antibodies. Yes, they have had PPE but this is the highest possible risk group of people to become infected.

Who knows. I think they should do some studies where they perform antibody tests (the almost perfect ones where they draw blood and analyze it, not the pin prick) on a decent number of people that test positive that are asymptomatic to sanity check the false positive percentage.

It was said by Dr. Birx a few months ago that when doing surveillance testing, the lower the disease prevalence, the higher the false positive rate will be. There is a somewhat complex statistical proof for this concept. Based on antibody results so far, the under 7% of the population of Orange County, FL (where MCO is located) has antibodies. Since that was built over a period of months, the active prevalence is going to be much lower when doing the surveillance test.
 
User avatar
hOMSaR
Moderator
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:47 am

Re: Updated: Airport Says 2 MCO Employees Have COVID

Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:19 pm

Thread has gone off topic and will be locked. Please continue any non-av COVID discussion in the appropriate forum.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos