Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Blerg
Topic Author
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

First Wizz Air base in Germany! (Dortmund)

Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:58 am

Good afternoon,

Here's a revolutionary piece of news- Wizz Air has officially announced its first German base in Dortmund. Starting from August 2020 Wizz Air will base 3 aircraft there and will launch 18 new routes.

Alghero (AHO) - 3x weekly - begins 8 August (summer-seasonal)
Athens (ATH) - 3x weekly - begins 1 August (year-round)
Bari (BRI) - 3x weekly - begins 8 August (year-round)
Catania (CTA) - 3x weekly - begins 3 August (year-round)
Corfu (CFU) - 2x weekly - begins 2 August (summer-seasonal)
Fuerteventura (FUE) - 2x weekly - begins 3 August (year-round)
Heraklion (HER) - 3x weekly - begins 1 August (summer-seasonal)
Lisbon (LIS) - 2x weekly - begins 9 August (year-round)
Marrakesh (RAK) - 2x weekly - begins 2 August (year-round)
Naples (NAP) - 2x weekly - begins 2 August (year-round)
Podgorica (TGD) - 3x weekly - begins 8 August (year-round)
Reykjavik (KEF) - 2x weekly - begins 9 August (year-round)
Rhodes (RHO) - 2x weekly - begins 1 August (summer-seasonal)
Santorini (JTR) - 2x weekly - begins 7 August (summer-seasonal)
Split (SPU) - 3x weekly - begins 1 August (year-round)
Suceava (SCV) - 2x weekly - begins 3 August (year-round)
Thessaloniki (SKG) - 2x weekly - begins 3 August (year-round)
Zaporizhzhya (OZH) - 2x weekly - begins 2 August (year-round)

How much of an impact can this base have on DUS and the airlines that operate there? I can't imagine LH/EW will be happy after hearing about this.

Flights are already available for booking on the airline's website.
 
debonair
Posts: 3775
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:50 pm

Re: First Wizz Air base in Germany! (Dortmund)

Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:14 am

Which destinations will be served in winter, replacing summer seasonal?
 
trijetsonly
Posts: 735
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:38 pm

Re: First Wizz Air base in Germany! (Dortmund)

Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:02 pm

OZH is quite interesting as a destination from Germany.
Finally the first direct flight for aviation geeks from Western Europe to do some Motor Sich action :cloudnine:
Happy Landings
 
Someone83
Posts: 4821
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: First Wizz Air base in Germany! (Dortmund)

Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:44 pm

Blerg wrote:
I can't imagine LH/EW will be happy after hearing about this.


Are they ever happy? :stirthepot:
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 9627
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: First Wizz Air base in Germany! (Dortmund)

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:02 pm

That is going to badly hurt EW operations at DUS and will probably create a huge boom for DTM. People in the Ruhrgebiet will rejoice to have another choice to avoid the LH group airlines when flying.
Last edited by seahawk on Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5677
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: First Wizz Air base in Germany! (Dortmund)

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:05 pm

I don't think it is that surprising.

DTM was already very specialised in Eastern European flights, had a general lack of Western European flights and W6 already had a big presence there. DTM does not have any based carrier. And W6 is opening bases left and right.

Eindhoven and Charleroi could be good candidates for new bases in the region. Although CRL is Ryanair fortress.

Barcelona and Lisbon I guess they come go next.
 
Blerg
Topic Author
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: First Wizz Air base in Germany! (Dortmund)

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:09 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
I don't think it is that surprising.

DTM was already very specialised in Eastern European flights, had a general lack of Western European flights and W6 already had a big presence there. DTM does not have any based carrier. And W6 is opening bases left and right.

Eindhoven and Charleroi could be good candidates for new bases in the region. Although CRL is Ryanair fortress.

Barcelona and Lisbon I guess they come go next.


I would also add MMX as a possible next base.
 
Blerg
Topic Author
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: First Wizz Air base in Germany! (Dortmund)

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:09 pm

Someone83 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
I can't imagine LH/EW will be happy after hearing about this.


Are they ever happy? :stirthepot:


Good point!~haha
 
AWACSooner
Posts: 2536
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:35 am

Re: First Wizz Air base in Germany! (Dortmund)

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:24 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Eindhoven and Charleroi could be good candidates for new bases in the region. Although CRL is Ryanair fortress.

If they want to avoid the direct shot at FR, then MST or LGG are better options.
 
User avatar
FlyRow
Posts: 842
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:05 pm

Re: First Wizz Air base in Germany! (Dortmund)

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:50 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
Eindhoven and Charleroi could be good candidates for new bases in the region. Although CRL is Ryanair fortress.

If they want to avoid the direct shot at FR, then MST or LGG are better options.


I believe EIN used/is there largest non eastern europe base after Luton. It is heavilly slot limited though. They are already head-to-head with FR there.
MST and LGG, while really central aren't as close to the main population centre, they are right in between them. Good for freight, not for passengers.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380
 
davidjohnson6
Posts: 804
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:10 pm

Re: First Wizz Air base in Germany! (Dortmund)

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:57 pm

Liege would need to significantly expand its passenger terminal before Wizz opens a base there.
Shortly after the Brussels airport in 2016, a small number of flights used Liege. The terminal struggled to cope with the demand
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5677
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: First Wizz Air base in Germany! (Dortmund)

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:59 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
Eindhoven and Charleroi could be good candidates for new bases in the region. Although CRL is Ryanair fortress.

If they want to avoid the direct shot at FR, then MST or LGG are better options.


MST or LGG are tiny airports (I have flown from both), in the middle of nowhere with no adequate public transportation.

Charleroi or Eindhoven have already a major infrastructure around in terms of public transportation (critical for low-cost flights in Europe). Dortmund is smaller but it is Germany, so the airport is already connected to Dortmund HBF and from there to the NRW region.
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5677
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: First Wizz Air base in Germany! (Dortmund)

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:02 pm

Blerg wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
I don't think it is that surprising.

DTM was already very specialised in Eastern European flights, had a general lack of Western European flights and W6 already had a big presence there. DTM does not have any based carrier. And W6 is opening bases left and right.

Eindhoven and Charleroi could be good candidates for new bases in the region. Although CRL is Ryanair fortress.

Barcelona and Lisbon I guess they come go next.


I would also add MMX as a possible next base.


I don't see Malmo. MMX works well for Eastern Europe gastarbeiters in Sweden but it does not work well for Western Europe. Nobody in London, Madrid or Milan knows what Malmo is and why they should go there. Copenhagen on the other hand is a major city break destination.

If they open a base, it would be CPH. Which it makes sense given Norwegian's semi-demise there.
 
davidjohnson6
Posts: 804
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:10 pm

Re: First Wizz Air base in Germany! (Dortmund)

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:08 pm

Is there sufficient capacity at the low-cost terminal to allow for Wizz to have a significant number of flights ? With Easyjet and Ryanair, it always seemed a little on the busy side to me last year
Norwegian were using the normal gates instead - I don't think Wizz would want to pay the higher fees
 
Blerg
Topic Author
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: First Wizz Air base in Germany! (Dortmund)

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:34 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
I don't think it is that surprising.

DTM was already very specialised in Eastern European flights, had a general lack of Western European flights and W6 already had a big presence there. DTM does not have any based carrier. And W6 is opening bases left and right.

Eindhoven and Charleroi could be good candidates for new bases in the region. Although CRL is Ryanair fortress.

Barcelona and Lisbon I guess they come go next.


I would also add MMX as a possible next base.


I don't see Malmo. MMX works well for Eastern Europe gastarbeiters in Sweden but it does not work well for Western Europe. Nobody in London, Madrid or Milan knows what Malmo is and why they should go there. Copenhagen on the other hand is a major city break destination.

If they open a base, it would be CPH. Which it makes sense given Norwegian's semi-demise there.


And Dortmund makes sense? lol
MMX could work as a cheaper alternative to Copenhagen.
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5677
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: First Wizz Air base in Germany! (Dortmund)

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:48 pm

Blerg wrote:
And Dortmund makes sense? lol
MMX could work as a cheaper alternative to Copenhagen.


Apples to oranges.

DTM is in the middle of a 20-million people region in Germany (NRW) with little tourism (other than a bit at CGN). There is little tourism but the local market is so ridiculously big that carriers there (Eurowings at DUS, Ryanair at CGN and Wizz at DTM) don't really care. That is why all of those DTM destinations are for 1) German holidaymarkers or 2) VFR or 3) a mix (e.g. Lisbon). NRW is very dense but also very suburban. So someone from Essen (which is among the Top 10 most populated cities in Germany) which doesn't have an airport can drive to either DUS or DTM (same distance). So DTM is not secondary to CGN/DUS; it is really complementary. Coupled with that the public transportation in the region is cheap and excellent (even if DTM does not have train connection, only a bus). And motorways are free (e.g. DTM might have +20 million people 1 hour drive from there).

MMX VS CPH is a completely different topic. Around Malmo there is nothing (other than Lund). Copenhagen is a much bigger city and market which can also attire people from the rest of Denmark. Crossing from Sweden to Denmark cost an arm and a leg by car or by train (there is that nice but expensive bridge/tunnels). Tourists (which in Copenhagen make a good amount of passengers, contrary to DUS/CGN/DTM) don't know about Malmo. CPH has already a lot of low-cost competition (Ryanair, easyJet, Norwegian).
 
upperdeckfan
Posts: 1062
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:59 am

Re: First Wizz Air base in Germany! (Dortmund)

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:53 pm

seahawk wrote:
That is going to badly hurt EW operations at DUS and will probably create a huge boom for DTM. People in the Ruhrgebiet will rejoice to have another choice to avoid the LH group airlines when flying.


Do you really think 42 weekly W6's flights will "badly" hurt EW ops at DUS? Will really creat a "huge boom" for DTM?

Are you aware of the scale of EW operation at DUS?

If EW business model keeps going the wrong way as it has gone since its creation it won't be because W6 stations 3 frames at DTM. My opinion....
748,744,742,741,772,773,762,763,
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3
 
Blerg
Topic Author
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: First Wizz Air base in Germany! (Dortmund)

Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:20 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
And Dortmund makes sense? lol
MMX could work as a cheaper alternative to Copenhagen.


Apples to oranges.

DTM is in the middle of a 20-million people region in Germany (NRW) with little tourism (other than a bit at CGN). There is little tourism but the local market is so ridiculously big that carriers there (Eurowings at DUS, Ryanair at CGN and Wizz at DTM) don't really care. That is why all of those DTM destinations are for 1) German holidaymarkers or 2) VFR or 3) a mix (e.g. Lisbon). NRW is very dense but also very suburban. So someone from Essen (which is among the Top 10 most populated cities in Germany) which doesn't have an airport can drive to either DUS or DTM (same distance). So DTM is not secondary to CGN/DUS; it is really complementary. Coupled with that the public transportation in the region is cheap and excellent (even if DTM does not have train connection, only a bus). And motorways are free (e.g. DTM might have +20 million people 1 hour drive from there).

MMX VS CPH is a completely different topic. Around Malmo there is nothing (other than Lund). Copenhagen is a much bigger city and market which can also attire people from the rest of Denmark. Crossing from Sweden to Denmark cost an arm and a leg by car or by train (there is that nice but expensive bridge/tunnels). Tourists (which in Copenhagen make a good amount of passengers, contrary to DUS/CGN/DTM) don't know about Malmo. CPH has already a lot of low-cost competition (Ryanair, easyJet, Norwegian).


That area might be densely populated but at the same time it has a crazy amount of competition, basically three airports serving the same catchment area (DUS, CGN and DTM). No one said MMX has to be a mega hub but I could see them open a base one day as a cheaper alternative to the much more expensive CPH. After all, Wizz Air does cover Copenhagen at the moment with Malmo flights so it wouldn't be a new move.
 
vandoc
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:54 pm

Re: First Wizz Air base in Germany! (Dortmund)

Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:24 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

DTM does not have any based carrier. And W6 is opening bases left and right.



DTM already has a EW/4U base. However, it could be closed. Wizz is directly competing on DTM-SPU. PMI and MUC could be operated externaly by EW and LH.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos