Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wnflyguy

Re: JetBlue Network Thread - 2020

Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:27 pm

West coast Revival.
With a much smaller Delta.
JetBlue is Evaluating to Possibly make SLC it's new Western Focus city in fall 2021/22.
Increasing it's gates from 2 to 6 once the terminal is finished.
SLC could be used to connect daily to cities like RNO LGB,BUR,SNA,ABQ,TUS,PDX,SJC,SMF,PSP,BZN and International CUN,PVR and SJD.
Code share with Hawaiian on SLC-HNL/OGG.

With LGB being a Bust SLC strategy could possibly work.

Thoughts?

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

Midwestindy

Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:36 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
We really do have to see how the spike in corona cases in Florida and Texas affects passenger numbers

And this is the issue here. You could be Spirit or American and flying like crazy… But that could send you right into liquidation if you are too exposed and this thing comes roaring back.

Frankly, the Jetblue-Alaska way is starting to look smarter. Play it safe. Play in flexible.

JetBlue is flying 50% of its July schedule? More than AA's total 40%, and only slightly less than AA's 55% of domestic

wnflyguy wrote:
West coast Revival.
JetBlue is Evaluating to Possibly make SLC it's new Western Focus city in fall 2021/22.
SLC could be used to connect daily to cities like RNO LGB,BUR,SNA,ABQ,TUS,PDX,SJC,SMF,PSP,BZN and International CUN,PVR and SJD.

Thoughts?

Flyguy

Terrible idea
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

CobaltScar

Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:18 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
West coast Revival.

Thoughts?

Flyguy

Agreed its a terrible idea. Only west coast base that makes sense is a big coastal hub that already gets a ton of MINT. Otherwise there are far bigger fish to fry in the east and across the atlantic.

jfklganyc

Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:26 pm

It really isnt a terrible idea

They have a major corporate facility there, there is room and they can co exist with DL as they do in JFK and BOS

Frankly, they need something out there...and LGB isnt it!

BNAMealer

Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:35 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

They have a major corporate facility there, there is room and they can co exist with DL as they do in JFK and BOS

They’ll get eaten alive if they try to build up SLC. DL dominates there and will likely get even bigger once they can resume growth. SLC isn’t like DEN where it can support multiple hubs.

jplatts

Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:53 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
West coast Revival.

Thoughts?

Flyguy

Agreed its a terrible idea. Only west coast base that makes sense is a big coastal hub that already gets a ton of MINT. Otherwise there are far bigger fish to fry in the east and across the atlantic.

WN carried more than 3 times the amount of passengers out of SLC in 2019 than B6 did, with WN carrying 2,504,000 passengers in and out of SLC in 2019 compared to B6 carrying only 731,000 passengers in and out of SLC in 2019.

There are also some additional nonstop routes that could be added by WN out of SLC such as SLC-ATL, SLC-MCI, SLC-BNA, SLC-PDX, SLC-ONT, SLC-SNA, and SLC-TPA if the demand for additional WN service out of SLC is there. WN also already has a FF base in the ATL, MCI, BNA, PDX, and TPA markets to support nonstop service to SLC from these markets. There is also some leisure traffic to Utah from other parts of the U.S. to support WN nonstop service to SLC from additional destinations.

WN also already has a much bigger FF base than B6 does in California, Oregon, the Mountain West, the Southwest, the Midwest, and the Southeast, whereas B6 doesn't have a significant FF base in most markets outside of the Northeast (with a few notable exceptions such as FLL/MIA).

I agree that a B6 SLC focus city operation is a bad idea, whereas additional WN nonstop routes out of SLC wouldn't be as bad of an idea due to stronger WN brand loyalty in California, Oregon, the Midwest, and the Southeast along with leisure traffic to Utah from other parts of the U.S.

CobaltScar

Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:12 am

Yes, of course. WN is the bigger and older airline.

I think B6 is moving beyond WN's direct competition circle. WN will have to deal with the rise of NK and F9 for the cattle car shuffle. B6 is moving into the direct path of the big 3 if its transatlantic service becomes a hit.

CobaltScar

Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:14 am

jfklganyc wrote:

You think the call center in SLC will survive all this? They could outsource it to the Philippines for 1/20th the cost.

joeblow10

Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:57 am

BNAMealer wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

They’ll get eaten alive if they try to build up SLC. DL dominates there and will likely get even bigger once they can resume growth. SLC isn’t like DEN where it can support multiple hubs.

I would hazard a guess if there is one core hub DL is willing to let a little competition in on... its SLC. I agree, I still think they would defend it fairly aggressively, but it’s position in the DL portfolio has shifted dramatically with the growth in SEA and LAX. It’s now more of a link between the mountain west and smaller communities to larger hubs than a transcon connecting hub.

I think somebody (not just B6) could play their cards right and grow at SLC fairly sizeably. The yields are somewhat outrageous, as with other DL hubs, and the city is growing dramatically. DL keeps talking about growing SLC but I’ll believe it when I see it. Could almost be a reverse BOS or SEA where the catalyst for growth is the war over Delta’s competition

Midwestindy

Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:38 am

joeblow10 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

I would hazard a guess if there is one core hub DL is willing to let a little competition in on... its SLC. I agree, I still think they would defend it fairly aggressively, but it’s position in the DL portfolio has shifted dramatically with the growth in SEA and LAX. It’s now more of a link between the mountain west and smaller communities to larger hubs than a transcon connecting hub.

I think somebody (not just B6) could play their cards right and grow at SLC fairly sizeably. The yields are somewhat outrageous, as with other DL hubs, and the city is growing dramatically. DL keeps talking about growing SLC but I’ll believe it when I see it. Could almost be a reverse BOS or SEA where the catalyst for growth is the war over Delta’s competition

AS already tried, they went up to 8 destinations from SLC, now back down to 3.

SLC is a relatively small O&D airport given its hub size, therefore you need really strong point of sale or lots of connections on the other end to make any route to SLC work. B6 can't offer either on the west coast.

AA couldn't make PHL work and doesn't run MIA, UA doesn't run IAD, no NK/SY service, it's clearly a difficult market to break into. The only other carrier with a sizable operation is WN, but all their routes are to WN strongholds or places with ample connection options and with little frequency.

Why risk DL retaliation in a medium sized O&D market, when you could move those resources to one of your core focus cities?

flyby519

Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:08 am

wnflyguy wrote:
West coast Revival.

Thoughts?

Flyguy

Only 1 wild rumor at a time. Let's see how your rumored LGB base closure goes.

united75x

Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:33 am

CobaltScar wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

You think the call center in SLC will survive all this? They could outsource it to the Philippines for 1/20th the cost.

90-95% of reservation agents work from home.

tphuang

Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:54 am

I think the only west coast focus city that would make sense is LAX or SFO. And now they will finally likely be able to get more gates than they had before. Let's see how much space they can get first. I guess LAS has also been suggested, but it's low yield nightmare to duke over with WN/ULCCs.

I'd be more interested to see where B6 adds out of EWR during the recovery. BOS-EWR is unlikely to recover its frequencies back until business demand comes back. VFR stuff is already back to pre-COVID level. Florida stuff is probably at half of its pre-COVID level. So if they want to expand at EWR, they need to add more flights. I'd love to see LAX or SFO, but not sure if they have enough mint aircraft around for even 4x on EWR-LAX. Aside from that, stuff like PUJ/MBJ/KIN/CUN/AUA/BGI(more than 1x weekly) all seem to things they can try internationally. And domestically, I think leisure places and large WN stations are all places they can target like MSY/AUS/LAS/SAN and also places they have large enough presence like BUF/JAX/CHS/ACK.

Saw on other thread that DL loaded in more flights for LGA. B6 has been more aggressive than others in bringing flights back (seeing 80 to 85 flights in July) out of JFK, but I wonder if they will load more flights in also. With NY/NJ transmission rate way down, there should be quite a bit of pent up demand to travel to see family/friends or just getting away. Most people should have a lot of vacation days saved up by this point.

BNAMealer

Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:28 am

Midwestindy wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

AS already tried, they went up to 8 destinations from SLC, now back down to 3.

SLC is a relatively small O&D airport given its hub size, therefore you need really strong point of sale or lots of connections on the other end to make any route to SLC work. B6 can't offer either on the west coast.

AA couldn't make PHL work and doesn't run MIA, UA doesn't run IAD, no NK/SY service, it's clearly a difficult market to break into. The only other carrier with a sizable operation is WN, but all their routes are to WN strongholds or places with ample connection options and with little frequency.

Why risk DL retaliation in a medium sized O&D market, when you could move those resources to one of your core focus cities?

I’ll also add to this that I bet DL bulks up SLC significantly once traffic recovers and the entire terminal redevelopment is finished. They are undersized there IMO (under normal circumstances), and if they want to better compete with UA at DEN for western connections, they’ll need to get to around 400-450 flights by the end of the decade.

If DL bulks up further in SLC, you can forget about B6 or anyone else trying to make a focus city/mini-hub work.

altairF28

Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:41 am

Pardon me if this was already mentioned-did a quick check and didn't see anything. I see on FlightAware that N605JB, which is the Red Sox plane, was sent to Marana in mid-April and is still there. Anybody know specifically if it is being retired or know in general what the chances are that something that was sent to the desert makes it back? Also, if it gets retired would they "replace" the special livery on one of the new A321 XLR's? Personally I would think the special liveries would be the last ones they would store.
A detour is a choice between two tasks, each with its own pros and cons

cpl22586

Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:14 am

altairF28 wrote:
Pardon me if this was already mentioned-did a quick check and didn't see anything. I see on FlightAware that N605JB, which is the Red Sox plane, was sent to Marana in mid-April and is still there. Anybody know specifically if it is being retired or know in general what the chances are that something that was sent to the desert makes it back? Also, if it gets retired would they "replace" the special livery on one of the new A321 XLR's? Personally I would think the special liveries would be the last ones they would store.

Most of the jetblue aircraft parked in Marana will make its way back into the system once travel demand picks up. Jetblue I don't believe has any plans to retire any aircraft at the moment. I don't see them retiring N605JB especially after they just redid the interior.

wnflyguy

Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:27 pm

Well with loads picking up looks like LGB isn't being cut in November. But it's going ramp back up to 15 flights for Thanksgiving.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

MIflyer12

Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:40 pm

altairF28 wrote:
Anybody know specifically if it is being retired or know in general what the chances are that something that was sent to the desert makes it back?

Retirements - a subfleet, or significant numbers of a subfleet - mean a write-down of value of the frame and parts (if they haven't been written down to $0 already). That gets documented in an SEC filing, be it the quarterly 10-Q with quarterly income or a special announcement in an anytime 8-K. Short-term parkings don't demand a write-down. I wouldn't be anxious from parkings of 2-5 months -- seasonal suspensions are routine.

CobaltScar

Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:47 pm

united75x wrote:
CobaltScar wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

90-95% of reservation agents work from home.

From suburbs around SLC I take it, because the flights out of SLC especially to Florida are always flooded with them.

Lavdumper69

Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:48 pm

Sorry if already discussed, but what impact could the gradual introduction of the A220 have on West Coast operations? I doubt JB would isolate it on the East Coast like with the E190. Could we see a West Coast base with fuel efficient A220s on the West Coast someday?

TonyClifton

Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:56 pm

Lavdumper69 wrote:
Sorry if already discussed, but what impact could the gradual introduction of the A220 have on West Coast operations? I doubt JB would isolate it on the East Coast like with the E190. Could we see a West Coast base with fuel efficient A220s on the West Coast someday?

Issue with the 190 in LGB was slots. It wasn’t considered eligible for “commuter slots” so there was no point putting a 100 seater on a mainline slot when you had limits and the A320 could hold 150. If they get a critical mass whoever they choose to settle in, certainly possible, but right now with the concentration of wets costs flying being transcons, the capacity of the bigger Bus is useful.

tphuang

Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:53 pm

I think once they have enough A220s in service, putting a base in west coast could make sense. It'd be pretty economical to use it for thin transcons and for some shorthaul frequencies. But they are only getting 16 by the end of 2022. I think it will be just east coast for the next couple of years.

jfklganyc

Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:02 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Well with loads picking up looks like LGB isn't being cut in November. But it's going ramp back up to 15 flights for Thanksgiving.

Flyguy

Pilot bid opens 8/1.

Then we will know.

jplatts

Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:46 pm

tphuang wrote:
I guess LAS has also been suggested, but it's low yield nightmare to duke over with WN/ULCCs.

There are a few destinations such as AMA, BHM, BUF, LIT, LBB, and MAF that have nonstop service out of LAS on WN but not on any other airline, but WN will be ending LAS-BUF nonstop service on November 1st. Most of the contiguous U.S. destinations that have nonstop service to LAS on WN but not on other airlines also do not currently have any B6 service.

If the demand is there, B6 could possibly add nonstop service to LAS from East Coast destinations such as ALB, CHS, BDL, JAX, PVD, RIC, and ROC that are already served by B6 and that do not currently have any nonstop service to LAS on any airline.

FL470

Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:06 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

Pilot bid opens 8/1.

Then we will know.

Actually the 3rd, but close enough ;-)

LAXintl

Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:33 pm

JetBlue entered into a $750mil 4-year term loan from Barclays.
As collateral airline pledged slots at DCA, JFK and LGA along with aircraft, engines, and intellectual property.

SEC filing
http://otp.investis.com/clients/us/jetb ... ndex=10000
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

tphuang

Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:42 pm

So it says libor (with 1% floor) + margin, but I'm not really seeing where the margin is specified (possibly 4.25% under defined terms, I don't know). Interesting that they keep entering these commercial loans with variable interest rate rather than issue fixed yield bonds.

On the Q1 earnings call, they did say that they are looking for $750 million in liquidity, so I guess they raised all the liquidity they need.

Given that stock prices have recovered a little bit. This would've been a much better time to raise money through issuing more stocks vs a month ago.

jfklganyc

Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:43 pm

Will be announced this morning

Major base at EWR

2 NY area hubs

AVENSAB727

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:44 pm

Expanded IAH service?
Always look on the bright side of Life!

iamjoeym

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:47 pm

Just announced internally, 30 new routes. As Inflight it gives us a much needed boost and glimmer of hope for the future! Good day at B6.

Ishrion

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:49 pm

Midwestindy

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:51 pm

UA isn't going to like Mint on EWR-LAX/SFO, plus all the new EWR flying.

Going right at DL as well with JFK-DTW/MSP

Interesting to watch....

hohd

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:55 pm

UA huge mistake in leaving JFK and placing all its bets on EWR-LAX/SFO will hurt soon. Better late than never, may be it is time to reintroduce JFK service for UA.

usairways85

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:56 pm

Wow, now 4 airlines on PHL-SJU (AA, NK, F9, B6)...assuming NK and F9 stay. And the both of them were going up to double daily pre-covid.

STT757

How are they going to do STT-JFK, I thought the A320 had performance issues with the short runway.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

KFTG

WN eating UAs lunch at DEN, now B6 at EWR? Smisek I mean Kirby better wise up.

evank516

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:08 pm

Midwestindy wrote:

Interesting to watch....

I'm excited to see DL's response to JFK-DTW/MSP. Maybe we will actually see additional mainline flying on JFK-DTW and kick the 717s off of JFK-MSP.

RL757PVD

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:09 pm

PVD will have gone from 8 years worth of only 3 flights to now up to 7 daily in less than 24 months.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

Nicknuzzii

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:10 pm

I think all the PHL adds really came from the back. How many daily flights from EWR are they at now? Whose gates did they steal?

alfa164

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:13 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Going right at DL as well with JFK-DTW/MSP Interesting to watch....

Conspicuously, they did not add JFK-ATL.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

FARmd90

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:16 pm

STT757 wrote:
How are they going to do STT-JFK, I thought the A320 had performance issues with the short runway.

It will more then likely stop in SJU for fuel. That’s how they run the BOS flight. Routing will be something like JFK-STT-SJU-JFK.

PVD757

PVD-RSW & TPA. Nice adds but hope there isn’t another virus shutdown.

CobaltScar

Looks like a final push to throw Alaska out of FLL too. All great adds. They really need to make EWR a co terminal and continue a huge push into it.

enilria

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:18 pm

I read this as caused by the Florida quarantine on NYC visitors creating surplus airplanes for other routes. You can see they are adding NYC to vacation destinations not locked down to New Yorkers like Florida and Florida to other cities like PIT/CLE. This is more of the NK/F9 business model.

CobaltScar

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:21 pm

enilria wrote:
I read this as caused by the Florida quarantine on NYC visitors creating surplus airplanes for other routes. You can see they are adding NYC to vacation destinations not locked down to New Yorkers like Florida and Florida to other cities like PIT/CLE. This is more of the NK/F9 business model.

The Florida "quarantine" is absolutely MEANINGLESS. You really think even a single person followed it? You scribble some gibberish on a form and hand it to a half awake national guardsman as you stroll off the jet bridge and thats the last anyone thinks about it. Totally irrelevant.

DoctorVenkman

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:23 pm

Midwestindy wrote:

Interesting to watch....

I (used to) fly LAX-EWR a lot and I don't think I'd switch to Mint over UA's widebody flights with polaris seats. UA has a very competitive product on those routes.

cschleic

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:24 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
Looks like a final push to throw Alaska out of FLL too. All great adds. They really need to make EWR a co terminal and continue a huge push into it.

The release says "up to 3x weekly" which doesn't match AS's frequency. In fact, all of them say "up to" so I guess time will tell how things work out.

evank516

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:25 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
enilria wrote:

The Florida "quarantine" is absolutely MEANINGLESS. You really think even a single person followed it? You scribble some gibberish on a form and hand it to a half awake national guardsman as you stroll off the jet bridge and thats the last anyone thinks about it. Totally irrelevant.

Not to mention it applies to NJ too and they're adding EWR-JAX on July 23.

jetwet1

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:25 pm

Midwestindy wrote:

LAX-SFO won't be that much of an issue, that's pretty safe with corp flying. Where they will get hurt is routes that UA uses regular domestic seats instead of Polaris. I switched my NYC flying (along with many other people I know) to B6 from DL after B6 introduced Mint on the LAS-JFK route/ DL and UA responded by putting Polaris/Delta One aircraft on that route once a day, but then put it outside of meal times.....

B6 saw an opportunity to other a far superior product to those not tied to contracts and it worked, the same will happen at EWR, I have no doubts.

klm617

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:26 pm

Great news to see Jetblue adding DTW-JFK
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos