Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
jfklganyc
Topic Author
Posts: 5910
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 pm

Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:43 pm

Will be announced this morning

Major base at EWR

2 NY area hubs
 
User avatar
AVENSAB727
Posts: 1386
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:02 am

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:44 pm

Expanded IAH service?
Always look on the bright side of Life!
 
User avatar
iamjoeym
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:40 pm

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:47 pm

Just announced internally, 30 new routes. As Inflight it gives us a much needed boost and glimmer of hope for the future! Good day at B6.
 
Ishrion
Posts: 2660
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:49 pm

 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5119
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:51 pm

UA isn't going to like Mint on EWR-LAX/SFO, plus all the new EWR flying.

Going right at DL as well with JFK-DTW/MSP

Interesting to watch....
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
hohd
Posts: 900
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 1:03 am

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:55 pm

UA huge mistake in leaving JFK and placing all its bets on EWR-LAX/SFO will hurt soon. Better late than never, may be it is time to reintroduce JFK service for UA.
 
usairways85
Posts: 4145
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:59 am

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:56 pm

Wow, now 4 airlines on PHL-SJU (AA, NK, F9, B6)...assuming NK and F9 stay. And the both of them were going up to double daily pre-covid.
 
User avatar
STT757
Posts: 14103
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 1:14 am

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:56 pm

How are they going to do STT-JFK, I thought the A320 had performance issues with the short runway.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757
 
KFTG
Posts: 803
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:08 am

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:56 pm

WN eating UAs lunch at DEN, now B6 at EWR? Smisek I mean Kirby better wise up.
 
evank516
Posts: 2122
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:08 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
UA isn't going to like Mint on EWR-LAX/SFO, plus all the new EWR flying.

Going right at DL as well with JFK-DTW/MSP

Interesting to watch....


I'm excited to see DL's response to JFK-DTW/MSP. Maybe we will actually see additional mainline flying on JFK-DTW and kick the 717s off of JFK-MSP.
 
RL757PVD
Posts: 3178
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 1999 2:47 am

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:09 pm

PVD will have gone from 8 years worth of only 3 flights to now up to 7 daily in less than 24 months.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1038
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:10 pm

I think all the PHL adds really came from the back. How many daily flights from EWR are they at now? Whose gates did they steal?
 
alfa164
Posts: 3500
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:13 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Going right at DL as well with JFK-DTW/MSP Interesting to watch....



Conspicuously, they did not add JFK-ATL.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
FARmd90
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:49 pm

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:16 pm

STT757 wrote:
How are they going to do STT-JFK, I thought the A320 had performance issues with the short runway.


It will more then likely stop in SJU for fuel. That’s how they run the BOS flight. Routing will be something like JFK-STT-SJU-JFK.
 
PVD757
Posts: 3281
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:23 pm

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:16 pm

PVD-RSW & TPA. Nice adds but hope there isn’t another virus shutdown.
 
CobaltScar
Posts: 686
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:30 pm

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:16 pm

Looks like a final push to throw Alaska out of FLL too. All great adds. They really need to make EWR a co terminal and continue a huge push into it.
 
User avatar
enilria
Posts: 10182
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:18 pm

I read this as caused by the Florida quarantine on NYC visitors creating surplus airplanes for other routes. You can see they are adding NYC to vacation destinations not locked down to New Yorkers like Florida and Florida to other cities like PIT/CLE. This is more of the NK/F9 business model.
 
CobaltScar
Posts: 686
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:30 pm

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:21 pm

enilria wrote:
I read this as caused by the Florida quarantine on NYC visitors creating surplus airplanes for other routes. You can see they are adding NYC to vacation destinations not locked down to New Yorkers like Florida and Florida to other cities like PIT/CLE. This is more of the NK/F9 business model.



The Florida "quarantine" is absolutely MEANINGLESS. You really think even a single person followed it? You scribble some gibberish on a form and hand it to a half awake national guardsman as you stroll off the jet bridge and thats the last anyone thinks about it. Totally irrelevant.
 
DoctorVenkman
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:10 pm

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:23 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
UA isn't going to like Mint on EWR-LAX/SFO, plus all the new EWR flying.

Going right at DL as well with JFK-DTW/MSP

Interesting to watch....


I (used to) fly LAX-EWR a lot and I don't think I'd switch to Mint over UA's widebody flights with polaris seats. UA has a very competitive product on those routes.
 
cschleic
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 10:47 pm

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:24 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
Looks like a final push to throw Alaska out of FLL too. All great adds. They really need to make EWR a co terminal and continue a huge push into it.


The release says "up to 3x weekly" which doesn't match AS's frequency. In fact, all of them say "up to" so I guess time will tell how things work out.
 
evank516
Posts: 2122
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:25 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
enilria wrote:
I read this as caused by the Florida quarantine on NYC visitors creating surplus airplanes for other routes. You can see they are adding NYC to vacation destinations not locked down to New Yorkers like Florida and Florida to other cities like PIT/CLE. This is more of the NK/F9 business model.



The Florida "quarantine" is absolutely MEANINGLESS. You really think even a single person followed it? You scribble some gibberish on a form and hand it to a half awake national guardsman as you stroll off the jet bridge and thats the last anyone thinks about it. Totally irrelevant.


Not to mention it applies to NJ too and they're adding EWR-JAX on July 23.
 
jetwet1
Posts: 3169
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:42 am

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:25 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
UA isn't going to like Mint on EWR-LAX/SFO, plus all the new EWR flying.



LAX-SFO won't be that much of an issue, that's pretty safe with corp flying. Where they will get hurt is routes that UA uses regular domestic seats instead of Polaris. I switched my NYC flying (along with many other people I know) to B6 from DL after B6 introduced Mint on the LAS-JFK route/ DL and UA responded by putting Polaris/Delta One aircraft on that route once a day, but then put it outside of meal times.....

B6 saw an opportunity to other a far superior product to those not tied to contracts and it worked, the same will happen at EWR, I have no doubts.
 
klm617
Posts: 4873
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:26 pm

Great news to see Jetblue adding DTW-JFK
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
KFTG
Posts: 803
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:08 am

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:26 pm

PVD757 wrote:
PVD-RSW & TPA. Nice adds but hope there isn’t another virus shutdown.

There won't be. Bet on it.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 7754
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:27 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
UA isn't going to like Mint on EWR-LAX/SFO, plus all the new EWR flying.



UA is certainly going to win on frequency on EWR-SFO/LAX. It will be interesting to see how many flights B6 runs on a weekday, and what they get for average fares for those routes.
 
good2go
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:36 pm

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:34 pm

alfa164 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
Going right at DL as well with JFK-DTW/MSP Interesting to watch....



Conspicuously, they did not add JFK-ATL.


JFK-ATL already exists. And has continued during COVID.
 
a350lover
Posts: 863
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:21 am

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:34 pm

Is EWR a new base with crews and planes overnight there, or just a destination from other bases? It isn't mentioned clearly on the press release.
 
MIAFLLPBIFlyer
Posts: 470
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:25 pm

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:35 pm

First Miami Area- Portland nonstop. Assumed it would be AA PDX-MIA or AS PDX-FLL. Didn't see the B6 coming.

Also nice adds of PBI-ORD & PBI-PIT

FLL-SEA lots DL & NK seasonal service so makes sense B6 would jump on. AS has I believe a few corporate contracts on that route which sustains it, but B6 can compete for leisure.
 
lowfareair
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:40 pm

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:37 pm

This is why we will see fare wars and flight levels returning to normal. Not from entrenched legacies wanting to do it, but from airlines who are either more nimble or have calculated that they lose less money flying planes than parking them. The big 4 almost assuredly don't want this, but moves like this from B6, NK, F9 will likely force their hand, at least within North America.
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1038
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:39 pm

Seems like EWR is now considered a “hub” or “Focus city.” I have to wonder are they taking over UA’s regional gates in terminal A for the time being? I’ve been noticing some trucks going in and out of those gates lately after 2 months of inactivity.
 
codc10
Posts: 2834
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2000 7:18 am

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:45 pm

I think this is great news for competition at EWR. JetBlue (especially Mint, which is long overdue at EWR) offers a competitive product and has a strong local following in the NY/NJ area, much more so than Southwest. It will also motivate United to bring service back faster, and could encourage UA to return to a higher service standard, both in terms of flights and soft product.

Nicknuzzii wrote:
Seems like EWR is now considered a “hub” or “Focus city.” I have to wonder are they taking over UA’s regional gates in terminal A for the time being? I’ve been noticing some trucks going in and out of those gates lately after 2 months of inactivity.


I believe B6 secured use of the former WN gates at A-1 prior to the pandemic, pending the move to the new T1 in the next year or two. I also wonder if JetBlue has an agreement with Air Canada to use its idle gates during the border shutdown.
Last edited by codc10 on Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
kavok
Posts: 812
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 10:12 pm

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:45 pm

alfa164 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
Going right at DL as well with JFK-DTW/MSP Interesting to watch....


Similar to BOS, I’d be curious to know what amount of the B6 JFK-DTW/MSP passengers will be pure OD, and what amount will transfer onto a TATL LCC or Emirates once in JFK.
 
User avatar
mercure1
Posts: 4755
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:53 pm

STT757 wrote:
How are they going to do STT-JFK, I thought the A320 had performance issues with the short runway.


Plan VFR obstacle departure procedure, hold back a few seats from max booking levels, plan to arrive into JFK during off peak arrival times, etc.
mercure f-wtcc
 
cschleic
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 10:47 pm

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:54 pm

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
First Miami Area- Portland nonstop. Assumed it would be AA PDX-MIA or AS PDX-FLL. Didn't see the B6 coming.

Also nice adds of PBI-ORD & PBI-PIT

FLL-SEA lots DL & NK seasonal service so makes sense B6 would jump on. AS has I believe a few corporate contracts on that route which sustains it, but B6 can compete for leisure.


Definitely leisure as they're showing SEA up to 3x weekly and PDX up to 2x weekly. Most likely overnight going east?
 
drdisque
Posts: 1270
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:57 am

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:56 pm

Flying ORD-PBI Local to Local is going to be a disaster. Yes, UA isn't flying it right now and WN only flies it seasonally, but there's a reason, there isn't much demand and what demand there is depends on having some feed.
 
x1234
Posts: 832
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:02 pm

FINALLY DTW-JFK so I can use JFK as a gateway to Europe!
 
User avatar
enilria
Posts: 10182
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:05 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
enilria wrote:
I read this as caused by the Florida quarantine on NYC visitors creating surplus airplanes for other routes. You can see they are adding NYC to vacation destinations not locked down to New Yorkers like Florida and Florida to other cities like PIT/CLE. This is more of the NK/F9 business model.



The Florida "quarantine" is absolutely MEANINGLESS. You really think even a single person followed it? You scribble some gibberish on a form and hand it to a half awake national guardsman as you stroll off the jet bridge and thats the last anyone thinks about it. Totally irrelevant.

It isn't meaningless in that the amount of traffic has fallen dramatically to Florida from New York. That's a fact. Some people follow rules and some don't. Enough do so that traffic is way down.
evank516 wrote:
CobaltScar wrote:
enilria wrote:
I read this as caused by the Florida quarantine on NYC visitors creating surplus airplanes for other routes. You can see they are adding NYC to vacation destinations not locked down to New Yorkers like Florida and Florida to other cities like PIT/CLE. This is more of the NK/F9 business model.



The Florida "quarantine" is absolutely MEANINGLESS. You really think even a single person followed it? You scribble some gibberish on a form and hand it to a half awake national guardsman as you stroll off the jet bridge and thats the last anyone thinks about it. Totally irrelevant.


Not to mention it applies to NJ too and they're adding EWR-JAX on July 23.

The traffic shift from the NYC quarantine is behind this announcement. JAX is also on the border with Georgia.
Last edited by enilria on Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
catiii
Posts: 3515
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:18 am

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:10 pm

a350lover wrote:
Is EWR a new base with crews and planes overnight there, or just a destination from other bases? It isn't mentioned clearly on the press release.


Why would they mention it in a customer facing press release?
 
User avatar
BA744PHX
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:42 am

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:16 pm

I'm surprised at EWR-PHX at 2 daily, B6 barely runs 1 daily on JFK-PHX.
 
User avatar
dabpit
Posts: 849
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 10:19 am

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:23 pm

Added the image from the press release but seems the admins deleted it...... so here it is again

Image
Carpe Diem
 
User avatar
SteveXC500
Posts: 575
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:38 pm

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:27 pm

evank516 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
UA isn't going to like Mint on EWR-LAX/SFO, plus all the new EWR flying.

Going right at DL as well with JFK-DTW/MSP

Interesting to watch....


I'm excited to see DL's response to JFK-DTW/MSP. Maybe we will actually see additional mainline flying on JFK-DTW and kick the 717s off of JFK-MSP.


Currently, albeit a greatly reduced schedule, JFK-MSP is A220's. MSP isn't seeing too many 717's of late. Again, greatly reduced though...
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5119
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:32 pm

enilria wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Not to mention it applies to NJ too and they're adding EWR-JAX on July 23.

The traffic shift from the NYC quarantine is behind this announcement. JAX is also on the border with Georgia.


Quarantine ends July 7th
https://wdwnt.com/2020/06/cdc-announces ... tate-area/

EWR-JAX starting July 23rd isn't impacted

The quarantine definitely has had some impact on NY- Florida travel

jetwet1 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
UA isn't going to like Mint on EWR-LAX/SFO, plus all the new EWR flying.



LAX-SFO won't be that much of an issue, that's pretty safe with corp flying. Where they will get hurt is routes that UA uses regular domestic seats instead of Polaris. I switched my NYC flying (along with many other people I know) to B6 from DL after B6 introduced Mint on the LAS-JFK route/ DL and UA responded by putting Polaris/Delta One aircraft on that route once a day, but then put it outside of meal times.....

B6 saw an opportunity to other a far superior product to those not tied to contracts and it worked, the same will happen at EWR, I have no doubts.


Large corporate flying is safe, as New Jersey corporates (and non JFK traffic) will want the expansive network UA has from EWR. It is the smaller & mid-sized accounts that B6 could likely attack.

B6 has had success with Mint on highly competitive routes
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
User avatar
varsity
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 1999 4:51 pm

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:44 pm

codc10 wrote:
I think this is great news for competition at EWR. JetBlue (especially Mint, which is long overdue at EWR) offers a competitive product and has a strong local following in the NY/NJ area, much more so than Southwest. It will also motivate United to bring service back faster, and could encourage UA to return to a higher service standard, both in terms of flights and soft product.

Nicknuzzii wrote:
Seems like EWR is now considered a “hub” or “Focus city.” I have to wonder are they taking over UA’s regional gates in terminal A for the time being? I’ve been noticing some trucks going in and out of those gates lately after 2 months of inactivity.


I believe B6 secured use of the former WN gates at A-1 prior to the pandemic, pending the move to the new T1 in the next year or two. I also wonder if JetBlue has an agreement with Air Canada to use its idle gates during the border shutdown.


The WN gates were taken out of service last year to make room for construction equipment.
AB3, DC8, DC9, DH7, D10, E90, M80, M88, 320, 321, 330, 722, 737, 733, 734, 738, 747, 744, 757, 752, 753, 772
AA, AF, B6, CO, DL, EA, EI, FI, HP, KM, LX, MS, NW, OP, PA, TW, UA, US, VS, W9, WO, YX
 
HNLSLCPDX
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:40 pm

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:50 pm

Wow, B6 really going after UA at EWR and DL at JFK. They are really pushing for the title of New York’s hometown airline.

Was hoping to see TPA-SLC and JFK-BOI added by B6 with this announcement.
 
User avatar
STT757
Posts: 14103
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 1:14 am

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:52 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
enilria wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Not to mention it applies to NJ too and they're adding EWR-JAX on July 23.

The traffic shift from the NYC quarantine is behind this announcement. JAX is also on the border with Georgia.


Quarantine ends July 7th
https://wdwnt.com/2020/06/cdc-announces ... tate-area/

EWR-JAX starting July 23rd isn't impacted

The quarantine definitely has had some impact on NY- Florida travel

jetwet1 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
UA isn't going to like Mint on EWR-LAX/SFO, plus all the new EWR flying.



LAX-SFO won't be that much of an issue, that's pretty safe with corp flying. Where they will get hurt is routes that UA uses regular domestic seats instead of Polaris. I switched my NYC flying (along with many other people I know) to B6 from DL after B6 introduced Mint on the LAS-JFK route/ DL and UA responded by putting Polaris/Delta One aircraft on that route once a day, but then put it outside of meal times.....

B6 saw an opportunity to other a far superior product to those not tied to contracts and it worked, the same will happen at EWR, I have no doubts.


Large corporate flying is safe, as New Jersey corporates (and non JFK traffic) will want the expansive network UA has from EWR. It is the smaller & mid-sized accounts that B6 could likely attack.

B6 has had success with Mint on highly competitive routes


The Florida quarantine for people from the Tri-State area has been extended indefinitely, which is ridiculous as we've bent the curve hard in New Jersey and New York. Florida on the other hand is on a upward trajectory.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757
 
F27500
Posts: 832
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:00 pm

B6 completely halted HPN (White Plains, NY) at the outset of the covid situation when they were consolidating their NYC operations to just JFK and EWR.

Any idea when (and hopefully not "if") the HPN service starts again ?
 
User avatar
STT757
Posts: 14103
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 1:14 am

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:11 pm

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
Wow, B6 really going after UA at EWR and DL at JFK. They are really pushing for the title of New York’s hometown airline.

Was hoping to see TPA-SLC and JFK-BOI added by B6 with this announcement.


They're making an opportunistic grab, after the slots were relaxed at EWR what kept everything in check was gate space. With the loss of WN and several carriers cutting back due to Covid they made their play. If there's a rebound by the end of the year or next Spring this move will pay off huge dividends for B6.

I flew WN from EWR, to Denver and Orlando, but other locals did not take to them for whatever reason. B6 has been popular ever since they started EWR in 2005, they added slowly over the years but now made their move. This also dovetails nicely into the opening of Terminal One beginning in late 2021 where they will be the largest carrier.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757
 
HNLSLCPDX
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:40 pm

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:11 pm

Also, hopefully with these adds to all these leisure markets, I hope B6 doesn’t start cheapening their brand. I could definitely see them doing more of a Spirit like operation. I understand that leisure travel will be returning faster than business, but still will be interesting to see the path B6 takes going forward.

Not trying to start merger speculation but the JetBlue-Spirit merger possibilities make a little more sense if B6 continues these type of additions.
 
User avatar
varsity
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 1999 4:51 pm

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:11 pm

F27500 wrote:
B6 completely halted HPN (White Plains, NY) at the outset of the covid situation when they were consolidating their NYC operations to just JFK and EWR.

Any idea when (and hopefully not "if") the HPN service starts again ?


LGA is also closed at the moment, and I'm guessing so is SWF. I'd be curious to see what was said about these?
AB3, DC8, DC9, DH7, D10, E90, M80, M88, 320, 321, 330, 722, 737, 733, 734, 738, 747, 744, 757, 752, 753, 772
AA, AF, B6, CO, DL, EA, EI, FI, HP, KM, LX, MS, NW, OP, PA, TW, UA, US, VS, W9, WO, YX
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1038
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: Major Expansion B6 at EWR and JFK

Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:14 pm

STT757 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
enilria wrote:

The traffic shift from the NYC quarantine is behind this announcement. JAX is also on the border with Georgia.


Quarantine ends July 7th
https://wdwnt.com/2020/06/cdc-announces ... tate-area/

EWR-JAX starting July 23rd isn't impacted

The quarantine definitely has had some impact on NY- Florida travel

jetwet1 wrote:

LAX-SFO won't be that much of an issue, that's pretty safe with corp flying. Where they will get hurt is routes that UA uses regular domestic seats instead of Polaris. I switched my NYC flying (along with many other people I know) to B6 from DL after B6 introduced Mint on the LAS-JFK route/ DL and UA responded by putting Polaris/Delta One aircraft on that route once a day, but then put it outside of meal times.....

B6 saw an opportunity to other a far superior product to those not tied to contracts and it worked, the same will happen at EWR, I have no doubts.


Large corporate flying is safe, as New Jersey corporates (and non JFK traffic) will want the expansive network UA has from EWR. It is the smaller & mid-sized accounts that B6 could likely attack.

B6 has had success with Mint on highly competitive routes


The Florida quarantine for people from the Tri-State area has been extended indefinitely, which is ridiculous as we've bent the curve hard in New Jersey and New York. Florida on the other hand is on a upward trajectory.


I flew EWR-MCO back in May. There was nothing but a little sign saying to quarantine. The Tri-state area should be more worried about Floridians at this point!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos