Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Blerg
Topic Author

Re: Updated: LH to restructucture SN

Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:30 am

We can discuss their potential in Africa as much as we want to but if the airline is unable to turn a profit then we have to wonder if it even has a future. In the end I think they will be shut down and replaced by Eurowings. Competition in Brussels is just too tough and they have shown that they don't have a answer how to respond to it.

RvA

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:26 am

Blerg wrote:
We can discuss their potential in Africa as much as we want to but if the airline is unable to turn a profit then we have to wonder if it even has a future. In the end I think they will be shut down and replaced by Eurowings. Competition in Brussels is just too tough and they have shown that they don't have a answer how to respond to it.

Not for a while at least. The rescue conditions agreed with the govt I think made sure SN will survive with name, HQ in BRU etc. for some time to come I think?

Conti764

Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:20 am

Blerg wrote:

It's save to say SN in let's say a year or two will no longer be the SN it was untill recently. Ever since its founding it lacked a solid businessplan.

They struggled with the integration of VEX, they went for an unrealistic growth model, had their fair share of crises (financial crisis, ebola outbreak, 22/3 attacks, covid-19) and were forced in a failed project with Eurowings. And all that time, untill 2016, LH had little to no gain to invest more in SN than to keep it afloat.

LH gave them a chance to fight for themselves in june 2019, to prove they have another future in the Lufthansa Group, apart from Eurowings, albeit with a major restructuring plan, Reboot. And then Covid came.

It remains to be seen how SN will ultimately raise from the ashes once this crisis is over. At least now they've gotten a fihghting chance from LH. The fact that an agreement between the management and the unions was reached already before the deal between LH and the Belgian government was made proves that everybody at SN knows what they're up to.

Blerg
Topic Author

Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:15 pm

I understand all that but it seems that any local airline in Belgium is destined to be perpetually loss-making. I understand Sabena was differently run but the end result was still the same. All I'm saying is that maybe having a local legacy carrier sandwiched between Paris and Amsterdam, on top of having CRL and EIN in the same catchment area makes a locally based airline very difficult to run.

I know there is probably zero chances of this happening but could shutting CRL down be a wise step towards aviation consolidation in Belgium?

Conti764

Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:55 pm

Blerg wrote:
I understand all that but it seems that any local airline in Belgium is destined to be perpetually loss-making. I understand Sabena was differently run but the end result was still the same. All I'm saying is that maybe having a local legacy carrier sandwiched between Paris and Amsterdam, on top of having CRL and EIN in the same catchment area makes a locally based airline very difficult to run.

I know there is probably zero chances of this happening but could shutting CRL down be a wise step towards aviation consolidation in Belgium?

Since CRL is a showroom project and one of the little economic successes for the South of Belgium, hell would freeze before a closure would happen. BRU and SN are already considered Flemish companies by many in Walloonia.

And FR at CRL isn't really the problem. The FR market is one SN shouldn't go after, a mistake they already made with an unsustainable growth a couple of years ago. SN has to reposition itself in the class of LH and OS (I'll leave LX out of the equation) albeit with a smaller base to grow from. Make money, then grow. In the past they didn't always follow that logic. Build operational mass at the expense of profitability.

And a more aggressive aproach towards the competition. BRU is right in the middle of AMS and CDG from where KL and AF have quite some (near) monopoly routes to overseas territories and former colonies. Go after some of those routes. They won't disturb both giants operations of course, but if money can be made....

danipawa

Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:11 am

Brussels Airlines (SN, Brussels National) will not reactivate its two A330-200s following the COVID-induced grounding and will also seek to retire its A319-100s in the coming years as it proceeds with its fleet restructuring and simplification plan, Chief Executive Dieter Vranckx told ch-aviation in a phone interview.

The airline plans to trim its fleet from the current 52 aircraft to 38.

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... load-a319s

According to this, 5 A319 to be phase out too:

https://sites.google.com/site/lhgroupfleet/brussels

Blerg
Topic Author

Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:44 am

Ok, if two A330 and 5 A319 are to leave the fleet, does it mean other planes to be phased out are all A320s?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos