Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BojamDelta
Topic Author

West Atlantic ATP goes off runway during landing.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:04 pm

A West Atlantic ATP gets into a bit of trouble whilst landing at a blustery BHX.
After touch down it looks like pilot over correction forces it off the runway onto the grass
before eventually making its way back on to the runway.
Apologies if it’s already on here, hopefully the link works!

https://youtu.be/H5mnCEMzV-0

dcajet

Re: ATP goes off runway during landing.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:06 pm

Is it me or does the rear left door appear to be open during landing?
Keep calm and wash your hands.

smokeybandit

Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:28 pm

Nice save.

Smoketrails

Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:36 pm

dcajet wrote:
Is it me or does the rear left door appear to be open during landing?

No, it is the rear fuselage logo deceiving you.

b4thefall

Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:25 am

Wow! Must have been a bit of a fright!

As a passenger, I loved the ATP. Only managed 2 flights on the type. 1 on Manx and 1 on BA. It was probably the closest feeling i'll ever get to flying on a "big" propliner of days gone by, simply due to it's height off the ground because of its low slung wing and engines. The ATR or Q400 simply don't have the same gravitas in my opinion.

crownvic

Re: West Atlantic ATP goes off runway during landing.

Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:20 am

And you have to give BAe credit for building a pretty tough airplane. Similar generation aircraft could easily have had a landing gear collapse.

barney captain

Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:25 am

I see zero rudder deflection - the airplane did exactly what they allowed it to do.
Southeast Of Disorder

RickNRoll

Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:39 am

It looked like he had time for a go-around.

AAMDanny

Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:12 am

BojamDelta wrote:
A West Atlantic ATP gets into a bit of trouble whilst landing at a blustery BHX.
After touch down it looks like pilot over correction forces it off the runway onto the grass
before eventually making its way back on to the runway.
Apologies if it’s already on here, hopefully the link works!

https://youtu.be/H5mnCEMzV-0

That was also, their second attempt at landing at BHX, the first attempt can be seen here, where they execute a go around after touchdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etkyguzNXBM

reltney

Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:06 pm

barney captain wrote:
I see zero rudder deflection - the airplane did exactly what they allowed it to do.

Spot on. No left aileron into the x-wind. The inexperienced pilot did put right aileron in to “help” get back on the runway......wrong.

For the non pilots here, this is a pure pilot runway excursion. Not using proper crosswind techniques caused this...nothing else...no, they don’t need to be fired but 10 hours in a taildragger would help plus common sense. Totally inexcusable. I see this happen today.

Best story. ATL-LHR around 1030pm. The crosswind was 25kts direct...180 at 25kts. We were using 27R. I was in the jumpseat as a non flying pilot. Plane 767. The capt started the takeoff roll with no aileron input. (No big deal). At 80kts the left wing was trying to fly and we had about a 3 degree bank to the right because he did not add any aileron to keep the wings level...dumb...you can add about 5-7 units of deflection before you get the roll spoilers. That’s about all you really want. At 150kts the plane started about a 20degree crab into the wind because of the slick runway. About then the copilot stated out loud, “you need to add left aileron”.. the IDIOT capt said shut up and pushed full forward on the yoke. Well, we were still about 10kts from V1 and the plane with the nose down elevator suddenly gained traction and darted for the weeds. The F/O correctly yelled I have the plane, rolled in left aileron,right rudder and rotated as we left the left side of the runway. We got airborne, no tail strike, no runway excursion. Then the fight started...... the super idiot capt was relieved of the trip and deadheaded home from LHR for a few simulator rides. Idiots make it to the top sometimes...

Fly the plane....it’s not hard...

Cheers from the line...
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

CATIIIevery5yrs

Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:03 pm

reltney wrote:
barney captain wrote:

Spot on. No left aileron into the x-wind. The inexperienced pilot did put right aileron in to “help” get back on the runway......wrong.

For the non pilots here, this is a pure pilot runway excursion. Not using proper crosswind techniques caused this...nothing else...no, they don’t need to be fired but 10 hours in a taildragger would help plus common sense. Totally inexcusable. I see this happen today.

Best story. ATL-LHR around 1030pm. The crosswind was 25kts direct...180 at 25kts. We were using 27R. I was in the jumpseat as a non flying pilot. Plane 767. The capt started the takeoff roll with no aileron input. (No big deal). At 80kts the left wing was trying to fly and we had about a 3 degree bank to the right because he did not add any aileron to keep the wings level...dumb...you can add about 5-7 units of deflection before you get the roll spoilers. That’s about all you really want. At 150kts the plane started about a 20degree crab into the wind because of the slick runway. About then the copilot stated out loud, “you need to add left aileron”.. the IDIOT capt said shut up and pushed full forward on the yoke. Well, we were still about 10kts from V1 and the plane with the nose down elevator suddenly gained traction and darted for the weeds. The F/O correctly yelled I have the plane, rolled in left aileron,right rudder and rotated as we left the left side of the runway. We got airborne, no tail strike, no runway excursion. Then the fight started...... the super idiot capt was relieved of the trip and deadheaded home from LHR for a few simulator rides. Idiots make it to the top sometimes...

Cheers from the line...

Does your ID say CA, FO, or Sky King?

Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:07 pm

Will/Should this be reported as an 'incident'?

N766UA

Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:08 pm

A little right rudder and that would have been a solid landing.

You’d think they’d teach that in pilot school.

reltney

Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:22 am

CATIIIevery5yrs wrote:
reltney wrote:
barney captain wrote:

Cheers from the line...

It says “Legend”.....well, in my own mind... But the ID on the F/O that leg say “Hero”....

Sometimes it takes a second to change the outcome ....
The airline has a good reporting system in house and between pilots. It’s rare we use it but glad it’s there.
Thanks for the humor!

Cheers
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

Dominion301

Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:03 am

reltney wrote:
CATIIIevery5yrs wrote:
reltney wrote:

Cheers from the line...

It says “Legend”.....well, in my own mind... But the ID on the F/O that leg say “Hero”....

Sometimes it takes a second to change the outcome ....
The airline has a good reporting system in house and between pilots. It’s rare we use it but glad it’s there.
Thanks for the humor!

Cheers

Thanks for the bluntness (honestly). Good to hear the FO took no BS from the Capt, said 'my airplane' and took over. Kudos to him/her. Hope he/she has been promoted by now. Sounds like the FO was the only thing between 'unpleasant' and possible disaster.

Pontius

Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:28 am

barney captain wrote:

+1

The number of times I watch a colleague scrub the tires - hard - for no reason other than a lazy lack of rudder....drives me crazy.

NYPECO

Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:45 am

I forgot that type of aircraft even exists.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos