Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Q
Topic Author

Delta adds new city Cape Town this fall

Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:18 pm

Delta will be flying ATL-JNB-CPT-ATL on Airbus 350.

Q

Source: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... cape-town/

enilria

Re: Delta adds new city Cape Town this fall

Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:25 pm

Discussed elsewhere, but appears to be driven by the reduced performance of the A350 vs retiring 777 more than CPT being a top market choice.

x1234

Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:28 pm

CPT has high end luxury vacations while JNB has more Safaris. UA has been successful launching CPT and I was wondering if UA will continue EWR-CPT with DL on the route.

Antarius

Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:31 pm

enilria wrote:
Discussed elsewhere, but appears to be driven by the reduced performance of the A350 vs retiring 777 more than CPT being a top market choice.

Yes. If CPT was a desired destination, DL would add a flight to it, not fly a triangle route with JNB.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

x1234

Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:33 pm

I feel like DL wants higher yields so they can take FULL PAYLOAD from South Africa to the USA. I bet when SAA was flying JNB-JFK non-stop west-bound they probably took a payload hit.

Boeing757100

Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:44 pm

except, this route was for the fact a350 cant perform at JNB. But still, how will the triangle help? Is it for refueling? Because supposedly the 350 doesn't perform at hot and high fields. How will this help? They 350 will still fly at JNB... Please answer me, because I don't understand this in general.

Antarius

Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:46 pm

x1234 wrote:
I feel like DL wants higher yields so they can take FULL PAYLOAD from South Africa to the USA. I bet when SAA was flying JNB-JFK non-stop west-bound they probably took a payload hit.

1. nobody flies triangle routes for yields.
2. DL serves JNB from ATL
3. Any source? The 77L can easily handle JNB-ATL
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

argentinevol98

Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:47 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
except, this route was for the fact a350 cant perform at JNB. But still, how will the triangle help? Is it for refueling? Because supposedly the 350 doesn't perform at hot and high fields. How will this help? They 350 will still fly at JNB... Please answer me, because I don't understand this in general.

It'll fly with less weight out of JNB (mainly substantially less fuel I'd imagine) for the relatively short hop to CPT. The A350 will be able to do that easily. CPT-ATL can then go out with a full payload as it is much easier than JNB-ATL.
Last edited by argentinevol98 on Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He sospechado alguna vez que la única cosa sin misterio es la felicidad, porque se justifica por sí sola"-Jorge Luis Borges

deltaSEAalsaka

Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:47 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:

The 350 only has to fly from JNB to CPT. Significantly shorter than having to fly directly back to ATL. They will take on fuel at CPT and CPT is situated much nearer to sea-level and slightly closer to ATL in terms of distance.
Last edited by deltaSEAalsaka on Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people asking questions.

deltaSEAalsaka

Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:48 pm

Antarius wrote:
x1234 wrote:

1. nobody flies triangle routes for yields.
2. DL serves JNB from ATL
3. Any source? The 77L can easily handle JNB-ATL

I wouldn't say the 77L can easily handle it. There are often payload restrictions and fuel stops at MCO or SJU in the winter.
There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people asking questions.

Antarius

Boeing757100 wrote:

The issue is that the a359 cannot make JNB-ATL due to the elevation and distance. So the inbound can land at JNB fine, then do a hop to CPT at which point it will refuel and can take off for ATL.

Similar to the LCY-JFK flight. Stops at SNN for refueling as the a318 can't take off from LCY with enough fuel to cross the pond.

MIflyer12

x1234 wrote:

Maybe. JNB-JFK is meaningfully (in the context of extra miles on a ULH flight) shorter than JNB-ATL. SAA's configs do carry marginally more seats than DL's 359s.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=jnb-jfk%0D ... =wls&DU=mi

MIflyer12

Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:52 pm

Antarius wrote:
Yes. If CPT was a desired destination, DL would add a flight to it, not fly a triangle route with JNB.

Because nobody ever does tag flights?! Spend a minute with an Alaska Airlines route map. An A350 or 777 (given the absence of 787s in the DL fleet) is a pretty big increment of capacity to fill on CPT-ATL.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos