Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

727LOVER
Topic Author

Naples, Fl (APF)...woman knocked off bike by jet blast !

Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:32 pm

https://www.nbc-2.com/story/42266426/na ... qDRUvdJCKk

video story as well

I wonder he was given clearance early and started the thrust before he made the turn onto the runway.
I can't imagine jet blast from a biz jet is THAT strong...to propel an adult on a bike across the street. This lady better not go to SXM :lol:
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

argentinevol98

Re: Naples, Fl (APF)...woman knocked off bike by jet blast !

Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:09 pm

Seems a tad bit dubious to be honest. Not saying she doesn't think the jet-blast did that but it could be as simple as feeling/hearing the blast and getting spooked and falling over. It would take a lot of thrust from a corporate jet to propel an adult and a bike across a 2 lane road especially if it wasn't on the runway yet and thus not using take-off thrust. It comes across as a tad exaggerated. I might be wrong with that assumption however.
"He sospechado alguna vez que la única cosa sin misterio es la felicidad, porque se justifica por sí sola"-Jorge Luis Borges

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:31 pm

At 500’, a Global Express, largest plane allowed at KAPF, the static take-off thrust plume is about 40 mph. Without any blocking by fencing or foliage. I’m assuming she was biking on North Rd which is the closest point to the runway. The FlexJet CL300 has a static take-off thrust plume of 55mph to about 250’

KlimaBXsst

Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:12 pm

Glad the jet blast she didn’t blow loose her tube top revealing a Confederate Flag Tattoo! That might have made for some news lately!

Cute Lady actually. In all seriousness I am glad she was not hurt, and will likely invoke some safer practices of operators at this airport.

Lesson here: Biking is dangerous! Wearing a wig while biking near an airport might be imprudent! Adorable and unfortunate, but should make some great happy hour talk for her week!
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

F27500

Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:16 am

... Another genius. She rides her bike behind a plane turning onto a runway ....

727LOVER
Topic Author

Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:46 am

So is take off thrust greater than an engine run up ?

I could def see THIS knocking someone over !

https://twitter.com/breakingavnews/stat ... 9757515777
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:03 am

No, take-off is take-off and it’s maximum rating. I think the tweet was shown involve a rather rickety building.

cschleic

Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:33 am

F27500 wrote:
... Another genius. She rides her bike behind a plane turning onto a runway ....

You do have to wonder although....there is a bike path right there at the end of the runway.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:36 am

Not a bike path, it’s a road around the perimeter.

kbmiflyer

Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:12 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

There is a bike path on the south west side of north road. I believe this is where the incident happened.

https://goo.gl/maps/kGUi1u3ahHVqb3tx7

I am thinking maybe the jet started to power up before being completely lined up with the runway
Last edited by kbmiflyer on Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

727LOVER
Topic Author

Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:22 am

kbmiflyer wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

There is a bike path on the south west side of north road. I believe this is where the incident happened.

I am thinking maybe the jet maybe started to power up before being completely lined up with the runway

WOW...that IS pretty close. Where is the hold line taxiway? Was there a 180 turn on the runway?

I'm curious, how much protection is there for U41 up the road @ FMY. Back in the days it had 727s/DC-9s

kbmiflyer

Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:28 am

WOW...that IS pretty close. Where is the hold line taxiway? Was there a 180 turn on the runway?

Here is the overhead view, it is about a 135 degree turn

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.1460012 ... a=!3m1!1e3

argentinevol98

Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:33 am

kbmiflyer wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

I am thinking maybe the jet started to power up before being completely lined up with the runway

Ahh I may need to take back my post from earlier. Seems more possible than I thought it to be from the article description.
"He sospechado alguna vez que la única cosa sin misterio es la felicidad, porque se justifica por sí sola"-Jorge Luis Borges

IPFreely

Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:34 am

KlimaBXsst wrote:
Glad the jet blast she didn’t blow loose her tube top

Speak for yourself (even though she's not wearing a tube top).

TerryC

Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:00 pm

That lady, is me.

The Jet was not on the runway. It was stationary, sitting on a spot to the right of the runway, much closer to the chain link fence and pathway. Tail end facing the fence, pathway and road. Waiting for permission I suppose to taxi onto the runway, for takeoff. It was not in a spot that I've ever seen a Jet sitting in. And I ride that path every single morning. I've seen small planes sitting there, but never a jet. And the Airport Authority also seemed concerned, that a Jet was in that spot. As I rounded the bend, a blast sent me flying sideways. My sunglasses were blown off and broken. Everything in my bicycles basket was blown out and across the road. The blast was strong enough to undo a knot, that was tying a bag to my bicycle's basket and blow the bag into the field on the other side of the road. I also ended up on the other side of the road, as did my bicycle. My bicycle's handle bars were twisted completely around. But thankfully I wasn't injured and my bike wasn't damaged. You might think it funny. But I'm sure a mother whose baby stroller was ripped out of her hands and sent flying, wouldn't. And neither did I. I wasn't picked up and thrown across the rod. I was pushed, propelled across it. I don't know if it was the angle the blast hit. and/or the wheels of my bike that helped the blast push me along. But anyone who doubts me, is more than welcome to take their baby in a stroller and stand in that spot while a similar jet performs whatever it did, when that blast hit me. I brought this to the Airport's attention immediately and to the media. Because it's a danger to the public who use that pathway. A multi use pathway that runs behind Naples Municipal Airport, isn't St Marteens. The families who use this pathway, have the expectation of safety. And the airport has the duty to keep them safe. Having your belongings and bicycle, stroller, kids scooter etc, suddenly go flying, should not happen. You could simply lose control of your bicycle and hit a lamppost, or tree. There are countless scenarios, that could end in injury, or worse. If jets are going to use that particular spot. Close to the fence, tail end facing the fence. An additional deflector is needed. Because the blast is definitely strong enough to cause injury or worse. Especially with the close proximity to a 2 lane road.

SheikhDjibouti

Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:12 pm

TerryC wrote:
That lady, is me.

Wow! That's quite an entrance you made here. Talk about arriving in style. :lol:

Seriously, welcome to a.net. And I hope we hear a lot more from you, preferably without quite so much drama next time.

:wave:
Nothing to see here; move along please.

Spetsnaz55

Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:41 pm

Well this is getting interesting

ADent

Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:14 pm

kbmiflyer wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

If you switch to Globe view you can see they reworked the taxiway to the end of the runway - it is 90 deg now, not 135 deg like before.

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.1461827 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Also there is a pad much closer to the fence, but I assume the jet wasn't on that.

You can see it on the airport diagram: https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/2007/06020AD.PDF

Dominion301

Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:27 pm

TerryC wrote:
That lady, is me.

The Jet was not on the runway. It was stationary, sitting on a spot to the right of the runway, much closer to the chain link fence and pathway. Tail end facing the fence, pathway and road. Waiting for permission I suppose to taxi onto the runway, for takeoff. It was not in a spot that I've ever seen a Jet sitting in. And I ride that path every single morning. I've seen small planes sitting there, but never a jet. And the Airport Authority also seemed concerned, that a Jet was in that spot. As I rounded the bend, a blast sent me flying sideways. My sunglasses were blown off and broken. Everything in my bicycles basket was blown out and across the road. The blast was strong enough to undo a knot, that was tying a bag to my bicycle's basket and blow the bag into the field on the other side of the road. I also ended up on the other side of the road, as did my bicycle. My bicycle's handle bars were twisted completely around. But thankfully I wasn't injured and my bike wasn't damaged. You might think it funny. But I'm sure a mother whose baby stroller was ripped out of her hands and sent flying, wouldn't. And neither did I. I wasn't picked up and thrown across the rod. I was pushed, propelled across it. I don't know if it was the angle the blast hit. and/or the wheels of my bike that helped the blast push me along. But anyone who doubts me, is more than welcome to take their baby in a stroller and stand in that spot while a similar jet performs whatever it did, when that blast hit me. I brought this to the Airport's attention immediately and to the media. Because it's a danger to the public who use that pathway. A multi use pathway that runs behind Naples Municipal Airport, isn't St Marteens. The families who use this pathway, have the expectation of safety. And the airport has the duty to keep them safe. Having your belongings and bicycle, stroller, kids scooter etc, suddenly go flying, should not happen. You could simply lose control of your bicycle and hit a lamppost, or tree. There are countless scenarios, that could end in injury, or worse. If jets are going to use that particular spot. Close to the fence, tail end facing the fence. An additional deflector is needed. Because the blast is definitely strong enough to cause injury or worse. Especially with the close proximity to a 2 lane road.

I watched the news story and happy to hear you are okay. Thank goodness there wasn’t any traffic on the road.

Can you describe if there’s any “warning jet blast” signs along the fence? Like you said, given the path is so close, perhaps the airport needs to install more signage? Maybe the path needs to be relocated?

kbmiflyer

Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:22 am

ADent wrote:
If you switch to Globe view you can see they reworked the taxiway to the end of the runway - it is 90 deg now, not 135 deg like before.

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.1461827 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Also there is a pad much closer to the fence, but I assume the jet wasn't on that.

You can see it on the airport diagram: https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/2007/06020AD.PDF

You are right. I wonder if the jet was on the pad for some reason. That would be very close to the fence.

sgbroimp

Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:25 pm

Glad you are not hurt, Terry, but strange place for a bike path in my view. How about a scenario where a jet botches a landing, overruns, aborts a TO, etc.? I just don't see airport perimeters and recreation being a good blend zoning-wise, period (or full stop as Terry C. would most likely put it.)

KlimaBXsst

Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:26 pm

TerryC wrote:
That lady, is me.

Welcome Terry,

Your lovely charm, will surely help get this hazard rectified among the aviation community. It’s a tremendously fine line I might add, as spotters truly dislike infringements upon great aviation spotting locations.

Glad you or no one else were hurt. Hopefully AOA signage and a NOTAM can rectify this. Fullest regards. Fortunately, I am sure there will be no shortage of those wanting to “take you under their wing,” to get this fixed. Keep us informed here of the outcome.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

dr1980

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:33 pm

I’m surprised to read the angst toward the cyclist in this case. If there is a public pathway next to an airport it’s a completely reasonable expectation that one can use it without risk of injury...if that expectation can not be met there should be signage at least or a physical mitigation should be in place. Hard to fault the cyclist.
Dave/CYHZ

AirKevin

Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:58 pm

TerryC wrote:
more than welcome to take their baby in a stroller and stand in that spot while a similar jet performs whatever it did, when that blast hit me.

Good news, I don't have a baby, nor do I plan to.
Captain Kevin

andz

Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:25 pm

On another note, what happened to the studio anchor's bandaged knee, did she get blown off a bike too?
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Boeing757100

Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:53 pm

That must hurt...... Prayers for the woman to get better

Flaps

Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:54 pm

TerryC wrote:
That lady, is me.

So, just so I understand, you saw the airplane, you heard the airplane and you rode behind it anyway? Now you are surprised that it blew you over and want to claim your 15 minutes of "fame"? I'd be embarrassed to admit such a thing but hey that's just me, Maybe just a bit of personal accountability is in order. It appears to me that you simply weren't paying attention, riding along on autopilot and fell victim to your own lack of awareness. But again....That's just my point of view.

canyonblue17

Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:09 pm

First off - I am glad she was not injured. That is by far the most important thing. But i'm gonna play devil's advocate here. I'm guessing this isn't the first time she's been past there. I'm guessing she has seen aircraft (airplanes or jets) warming up or holding for takeoff in that area. I'm guessing she understands that an aircraft that size could easily create enough thrust to knock someone over - as she seemed familiar enough with Maho Beach to understand. If all those things are true (and it's a lot of assuming), why not just stop for a minute, or take an alternate route? Just a personal note - I have gone plane spotting at that airport several times and am very familiar with the site at which this occurred. Just a few meters away is a play area for children and a workout area for adults.
negative ghostrider the pattern is full

BA744PHX

Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:23 pm

Well it appears to be a slow news day for any news outlet to pick up such an insignificant story. I wonder if I should call the news station next time my coffee is to hot, this is more of common sense. I know she is reading and posting in this forum but I cant but help and laugh at her reaction. ***BIG SURPRISE*** about jet blast LOL :banghead: :hissyfit: :rotfl:

dr1980

Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:04 pm

How would your average person (ie non-avgeek) be expect to understand and expect jet blast while on a public area? I’ll say again, was there signage warning of jet blast? Otherwise there’s a very realistic and reasonable expectation that while using a piece of public infrastructure outside airport boundaries you can safely do so regardless of what’s going on at the airport.
Dave/CYHZ

Aesma

Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:56 pm

canyonblue17 wrote:
First off - I am glad she was not injured. That is by far the most important thing. But i'm gonna play devil's advocate here. I'm guessing this isn't the first time she's been past there. I'm guessing she has seen aircraft (airplanes or jets) warming up or holding for takeoff in that area. I'm guessing she understands that an aircraft that size could easily create enough thrust to knock someone over - as she seemed familiar enough with Maho Beach to understand. If all those things are true (and it's a lot of assuming), why not just stop for a minute, or take an alternate route? Just a personal note - I have gone plane spotting at that airport several times and am very familiar with the site at which this occurred. Just a few meters away is a play area for children and a workout area for adults.

It's easy to derive the opposite conclusion from the same set of parameters : she goes through there every day (it's now on record), and jet blast has never been an issue, so why should she expect it to suddenly be one ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

canyonblue17

Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:00 pm

Didn't she say she noticed an unusually large aircraft in a different location that normal? So if it was unusually large and in a different location - you might want to consider treating the situation differently.
negative ghostrider the pattern is full

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos