Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

32andBelow

Re: AS officially sending the E175 to Alaska

Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:53 pm

MDGLongBeach wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
ANI cannot support an e175.

How come? Lack of facilities to support it's operations there? Runway seemingly could support an E175 just fine. Just curious haha

No passengers. No TSA. Not a part 139 airport.

Chugach
Topic Author

Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:27 pm

MDGLongBeach wrote:
Could we see ASA use the E175 fill in the gaps left by Ravn's bankruptcy? I'm mostly referring to airports such as HOM, ANI, and GAL. Homer is a bit ways from Anchorage, accessible by car but there's no scheduled service to any of the areas in it's immediate region such as Seward, Kenai or Homer itself. Aniak had RAVN Q100 service before they went down under, now it gets served once weekly with Ryan Air (Alaska's version not the other Ryanair) PC12's. Ryan Air has a pretty extensive network out of Aniak to connect it with some of the smaller communities surrounding that area not accessible by land, but ANC-ANI is not well connected nor are there any medium sized aircraft that support the community with the supplies it needs. Galena had RAVN service from FAI, it isn't in the same situation as Aniak where it serves as a hub to service smaller communities (as theres not really any surrounding that area), but currently there's no flight service there either. At the very minimum I'd expect to see HOM and ANI serviced, HOM with a milkrun through ENA, and the existing BET service via ANI. Anyone know what the feasibility of these routes would be?

If they’re going to start any new destinations up there with the E175, it’ll be DUT (if they can even get it in and out of there, somebody with better tech knowledge can answer that), ENA, HOM, and VDZ, and probably in that order. They aren’t going to start up every hub village in the state...aside from the four airports above, fields like ANI or GAL aren’t set up to handle a major commercial carrier like AS from a security standpoint.

32andBelow

Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:28 pm

Chugach wrote:
MDGLongBeach wrote:
Could we see ASA use the E175 fill in the gaps left by Ravn's bankruptcy? I'm mostly referring to airports such as HOM, ANI, and GAL. Homer is a bit ways from Anchorage, accessible by car but there's no scheduled service to any of the areas in it's immediate region such as Seward, Kenai or Homer itself. Aniak had RAVN Q100 service before they went down under, now it gets served once weekly with Ryan Air (Alaska's version not the other Ryanair) PC12's. Ryan Air has a pretty extensive network out of Aniak to connect it with some of the smaller communities surrounding that area not accessible by land, but ANC-ANI is not well connected nor are there any medium sized aircraft that support the community with the supplies it needs. Galena had RAVN service from FAI, it isn't in the same situation as Aniak where it serves as a hub to service smaller communities (as theres not really any surrounding that area), but currently there's no flight service there either. At the very minimum I'd expect to see HOM and ANI serviced, HOM with a milkrun through ENA, and the existing BET service via ANI. Anyone know what the feasibility of these routes would be?

If they’re going to start any new destinations up there with the E175, it’ll be DUT (if they can even get it in and out of there, somebody with better tech knowledge can answer that), ENA, HOM, and VDZ, and probably in that order. They aren’t going to start up every hub village in the state...aside from the four airports above, fields like ANI or GAL aren’t set up to handle a major commercial carrier like AS from a security standpoint.

Q400 would have a much better shot at DUT

chrisair

Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:46 pm

32andBelow wrote:

Does the TSA still fly agents in to some airports in Alaska to do passenger screenings?

NeBaNi

Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:57 pm

Ishrion wrote:
The E175 aircraft compliments the current Boeing 737 mainline flying in, to and from the state of Alaska and is perfect for many communities where larger jets are not the best option.

Nice.

Also the start date is some time in October 2020

You'd think they would spell check/ have another pair of eyes look over the article before publishing it :lol:

32andBelow

Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:45 pm

chrisair wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Does the TSA still fly agents in to some airports in Alaska to do passenger screenings?

Yes. But you wouldn’t do that at say ENA. You’d need real TSA. Also year round TSA at AKN ans DLG will be all awesome for those communities

NameOmitted

Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:19 am

32andBelow wrote:
chrisair wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Yes. But you wouldn’t do that at say ENA. You’d need real TSA. Also year round TSA at AKN ans DLG will be all awesome for those communities

Or fly 50 seat Q-400 combis and not use the TSA. ANC has the gate space in the non-sterile part of the airport.

I know, the ship had sailed on the Q in Alaska, but in guessing they could pick up the Combi very quickly.

roadrunner165

Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:49 am

32andBelow seems to think only towns on the road system can support E175s. ;) :white:

32andBelow

Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:33 am

roadrunner165 wrote:
32andBelow seems to think only towns on the road system can support E175s. ;) :white:

These towns people are talking about have PDEW under 50.

n7371f

Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:49 am

AS pilots can't do anything about it. They allowed company unlimited regional growth in last contract. If management hypothetically wanted to put E195's at QX, they could and add as many ships as they wanted.

UA735WL wrote:
I can't imagine that the AS mainline pilots are particularly happy about this. SEA-ANC/FAI on an E75? There is *nothing* regional about such a route. Those are AS's trunk routes to Alaska. Sure it says it "complements" the mainline service, but you'd be naive to think that if it does well you won't see more frequencies go to the Embraer post COVID. I expect some sort of stink.

tiptoe42

Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:32 am

n7371f wrote:
AS pilots can't do anything about it. They allowed company unlimited regional growth in last contract. If management hypothetically wanted to put E195's at QX, they could and add as many ships as they wanted.

UA735WL wrote:
I can't imagine that the AS mainline pilots are particularly happy about this. SEA-ANC/FAI on an E75? There is *nothing* regional about such a route. Those are AS's trunk routes to Alaska. Sure it says it "complements" the mainline service, but you'd be naive to think that if it does well you won't see more frequencies go to the Embraer post COVID. I expect some sort of stink.

They could put anything at Horizon, Airbus, 737 etc. the pilot contract at Alaska is a joke.

Chugach
Topic Author

Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:48 pm

The first AS E175 flight in Alaska is loaded. AS2020, ANC-AKN-DLG-ANC. Starts 10/1.

32andBelow

Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:50 pm

If I were AS I would just take the opportunity to put ravn 2.0 in its grave and take ena and hom immediately. Expand service to cdb, and get a real codeshare with grant.

Chugach
Topic Author

Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:58 am

32andBelow wrote:
If I were AS I would just take the opportunity to put ravn 2.0 in its grave and take ena and hom immediately. Expand service to cdb, and get a real codeshare with grant.

I’ll be interested to see if AS is one of the bidders to buy parts of Ravn out of bankruptcy. Couldn’t agree more on ENA and HOM. Heck they could even cherry pick VDZ and stick it on the 61/66 milk run.

32andBelow

Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:01 am

Chugach wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

I’ll be interested to see if AS is one of the bidders to buy parts of Ravn out of bankruptcy. Couldn’t agree more on ENA and HOM. Heck they could even cherry pick VDZ and stick it on the 61/66 milk run.

VDZ is a tough airport. It would need an RNP approach and be flown on the 737. Doesn’t have nearly as much passengers as HOM and ENA. In the past AS had a good buddy buddy relationship with the old penair owners. Since they are out of the picture time to put the pedal to the metal and be Alaska real regional airline. If they got a good relationship with the 135 guys they could just increase flying to OME and OTZ and other village hubs for connections.

I suppose they could buy 7H and throw some older q400s there as e175s come on.

panam330

Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:39 am

tiptoe42 wrote:
They could put anything at Horizon, Airbus, 737 etc. the pilot contract at Alaska is a joke.

Agreed. Something tells me scope’s going to be a big to-do in the next round, and rightfully so. The next couple of years aren’t going to be pretty at AS if QX is allowed further down this path.

32andBelow

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:01 am

panam330 wrote:
tiptoe42 wrote:

Agreed. Something tells me scope’s going to be a big to-do in the next round, and rightfully so. The next couple of years aren’t going to be pretty at AS if QX is allowed further down this path.

To be fair 76 seats is the right size for these markets. They were flown by 30 seats before.

panam330

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:07 am

32andBelow wrote:
panam330 wrote:
tiptoe42 wrote:

To be fair 76 seats is the right size for these markets. They were flown by 30 seats before.

Oh, I’m not disagreeing with regard to the smaller markets you’re referring to. What I’m meaning to say is that a 175 doesn’t belong on SEA-ANC/FAI or other major markets.
Last edited by panam330 on Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

32andBelow

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:10 am

panam330 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
panam330 wrote:

Oh, I’m not disagreeing with regard to the smaller markets you’re referring to. What I am saying is that a 175 doesn’t belong on SEA-ANC/FAI or other major markets.

It absolutely should be on ANC/FAI. I think they could have found a better way to Rotate it to the lower 48. Like ANC-PAE or FAI-PDX. Something new and thinner.

panam330

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:14 am

32andBelow wrote:
panam330 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Oh, I’m not disagreeing with regard to the smaller markets you’re referring to. What I am saying is that a 175 doesn’t belong on SEA-ANC/FAI or other major markets.

It absolutely should be on ANC/FAI. I think they could have found a better way to Rotate it to the lower 48. Like ANC-PAE or FAI-PDX. Something new and thinner.

Right now? Sure, if it ensures the airline survives. During normal times, I guess we’ll agree to disagree here. I would’ve loved to see newer, thinner routes to rotate them up, but right now it’s clear they’re not ready to play a game of risk with something like PAE-FAI (which I selfishly would love to see).

32andBelow

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:16 am

panam330 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
panam330 wrote:

Right now? Sure, if it ensures the airline survives. During normal times, I guess we’ll agree to disagree here. I would’ve loved to see newer, thinner routes to rotate them up, but right now it’s clear they’re not ready to play a game of risk with something like PAE-FAI (which I selfishly would love to see).

I wonder if ADQ-SEA would work 5X

roadrunner165

Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:35 am

32andBelow wrote:
roadrunner165 wrote:

You’re probably right, Unalakleet isnt on their radar and probably wont be for the distant future. Im just wishful thinking. But I will just add that Norton Sound Economic Development Corporation is headquarterd in both Unalakleet and Anchorage – they have $30 million cash and equilvents on hand and $200 million in investments. They also operate the cannery in Unalakleet during the summer. The Bering Straits Schools district operates 13 schools in the Norton Sound Region and is headquartered in Unalakleet – you can imagine that equates to a fair number of students and teachers flying in and out during the year. And the Norton Sound Health Corporation regional sub-clinic routintely sends patients to Anchroage for care from Unalakleet, Stebbins, St. Michael, Koyuk and Shaktoolik – the meidcaid rate is $445 one way between Anchorage and Unalakleet. So you can continue to talk about the low PDEW or whatever excuse you want to justify your belief that service will never happen. But Unalakleet could in theory support 3 flights a week. Unalakleet to Anchorage is about the same as Seattle to Boise, which you can find on sale for $85 one way main fare – it doesn’t take too many medicaid patients to suddenly make a half full flight from UNK-ANC more profitable then a full flight from SEA-BOI. With Ravns demise, Alaska has an opportunity to seek out new markets, and I’m sure they're taking a look at everything right now.

32andBelow

Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:11 pm

roadrunner165 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
roadrunner165 wrote:

You’re probably right, Unalakleet isnt on their radar and probably wont be for the distant future. Im just wishful thinking. But I will just add that Norton Sound Economic Development Corporation is headquarterd in both Unalakleet and Anchorage – they have $30 million cash and equilvents on hand and $200 million in investments. They also operate the cannery in Unalakleet during the summer. The Bering Straits Schools district operates 13 schools in the Norton Sound Region and is headquartered in Unalakleet – you can imagine that equates to a fair number of students and teachers flying in and out during the year. And the Norton Sound Health Corporation regional sub-clinic routintely sends patients to Anchroage for care from Unalakleet, Stebbins, St. Michael, Koyuk and Shaktoolik – the meidcaid rate is $445 one way between Anchorage and Unalakleet. So you can continue to talk about the low PDEW or whatever excuse you want to justify your belief that service will never happen. But Unalakleet could in theory support 3 flights a week. Unalakleet to Anchorage is about the same as Seattle to Boise, which you can find on sale for $85 one way main fare – it doesn’t take too many medicaid patients to suddenly make a half full flight from UNK-ANC more profitable then a full flight from SEA-BOI. With Ravns demise, Alaska has an opportunity to seek out new markets, and I’m sure they're taking a look at everything right now.

Have you been to Alaska or are you just googling things? These markets are stable and they don’t exactly grow. They were served by 30 seat airplanes that didn’t have very high load factors. Every village has a regional corporation. They don’t exactly employ thousands. The teachers and students you listed already made up a high percentage of the passengers that didn’t fill the 30 seat airplane.

UNK comes no where close to AKN/DLG/HOM/ENA which have large seafood operations and get a lot of tourism. Maybe 3x would “work” but these communities need daily connections places as it’s how you get to the doctor.

roadrunner165

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:50 pm

NSEDC is a CDQ - one of six non-profit corporations represent 65 communities with the purpose of economic development in western Alaska and goals to alleviate poverty, provide economic and social benefits to residents, and achieve sustainable local economies. (These are NOT native corporations as you imply.) Their authority is authorized under the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act of 1992. And for the record, I’ve been an Alaska resident since 2005. Began coming to Alaska in 1997 when I was 12 years old. :bigthumbsup: And I think I’m done with this conversation.

usxguy

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:20 pm

Well Ravn did get 30 bidders.... so who knows.
xx

32andBelow

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:46 pm

roadrunner165 wrote:
NSEDC is a CDQ - one of six non-profit corporations represent 65 communities with the purpose of economic development in western Alaska and goals to alleviate poverty, provide economic and social benefits to residents, and achieve sustainable local economies. (These are NOT native corporations as you imply.) Their authority is authorized under the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act of 1992. And for the record, I’ve been an Alaska resident since 2005. Began coming to Alaska in 1997 when I was 12 years old. :bigthumbsup: And I think I’m done with this conversation.

I just don’t understand where your getting your UNK traffic data. Because it’s not reality.

roadrunner165

Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:27 am

This thread is about Alaska introducing E-175 operations within the state of Alaska. I made a blanket statement that AS should look at opening up new thinner routes as well to better serve local markets. Unalakleet is just an example of a location in my region that could potentially be of interests to AS down the road. They seem to think they can make money sending 737 freighters there multiple times a week. And all you've done is piss on that idea -- all while continually moving your goal post and demonstrating you have little understanding of rural Alaska or how it works. Just for kicks, the UNK airport had 16,208 emplanements in 2018. How many of those had an eventual destination of Anchorage either directly our via Nome? And exactly zero of them have the option of hopping in their car and driving. I'll see myself out the door.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos