Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airporthistory
Topic Author

Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:28 am

Hi folks,

Today, 70 years ago, BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI) was dedicated by President Harry S. Truman as Friendship International Airport. Scheduled airline service began one month later. At the time, the airport was viewed as the most advanced in the United States.

I prepared a series of oblique aerial views showing the airport’s spectacular growth over the decades. You can find the post here: https://www.airporthistory.org/blue-concourse/baltimorewashington-thurgood-marshall-airport-at-70

Enjoy!

Polot

Re: IMAGES: BWI at 70

Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:29 pm

The decision to paint the concourses/terminals that dark color was always so odd to me. Does lend the airport a rather unique appearance though.

zuckie13

Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:41 pm

Ah Home sweet airport, and it's had more updates since the last phone on there. We're missing the B/C connection, the D/E connection and the Terminal E extension.

airporthistory
Topic Author

Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:36 pm

zuckie13 wrote:
Ah Home sweet airport, and it's had more updates since the last phone on there. We're missing the B/C connection, the D/E connection and the Terminal E extension.

I'm afraid the last photo was the only (decent quality) aerial that is currently available.

Miamiairport

Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:48 pm

Brings me back to memories of flying out BWI with my parents in the late 60s and early 70s (not sure when the name got changed from Friendship to BWI) but my father always called it Friendship Airport. Back then flying was sophisticated and glamorous. My father never wore a suit and tie but he didn't show up in sweat pants either.

I remember back in 1970 we flew TPA/IAD (both airports were new) and our car service didn't show up at IAD. My father booked a National IAD/BWI flight to get us home and IIRC was like 25 minutes in air. We took a taxi to our home in Maryland. My father was livid that he had to shell out over a thousand dollars for the flight and cab. We kids thought it a blast to take such a short flight.

william

Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:11 pm

Polot wrote:
The decision to paint the concourses/terminals that dark color was always so odd to me. Does lend the airport a rather unique appearance though.

Have flown there many times, love the BWI train station, but still do not get the black paint exterior.

WassbiKhalifa

Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:39 pm

I've never flown to BWI. Nice article about it.

880dc8707

Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:00 pm

Great photos. Would love to see photos when Friendship was the Intl airport for DC before IAD opened

Bricktop

Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:34 pm

Very nice viewing lounge at BWI. Great for spotting. As long as you love WN ;)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos