Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
wernerga3
Topic Author
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 pm

AA early 747 question

Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:53 pm

So being such a 747 nut, this has been getting me curious for some time now:

I know AA leased their first 747 from paa in 1970 because they were waiting in line for their own from Boeing. The initial plane was even paa white instead of aluminum. I have seen very very few photos of the paa operated by AA 747 cabin, but from what I thought, all they did was add the AA headrest covers to the ready paa built cabin. These were called astroliners still and the first flight was March 2, 1970 under the name Americana service.

Image
Image
Image
Image

I am curious what was going on in the upper deck at this time. Was it still the paa layout up there or did American put its own twist? I ask this because of the following:

In late 1971, when they took delivery of their own 747, they had custom tailored the cabin to their specs including a coach lounge in the rear, swivel dining chairs in the b zone, and a custom designed first class lounge in the upper deck. In 1972, they even added the piano to the coach lounge briefly before they removed the whole lounge back there some time in the next few years. During this transition, the plane became known as the luxury liner (a ship name which AA would use up through the early 90s)

Image
Image
Image

By 1976 the coach lounge was gone
Image


This is where it gets weird. I've come across this photo below many times over the years, and have confirmed it is from a 1971 Boeing 747 brochure which shows off all the new cabins they had been installing across the different airlines. They show this picture for the AA upper deck and it is clearly the penthouse option like on delta where they split the top deck in half and part is private. The seat designs even match those of the AA first class cabin, so I'm confused what this is. Was it just a mock up that never made it to production? Was it a last second change on AAs part? Did this private penthouse upper deck actually exist at some point prior to their luxury liner intro?
Image

I figured someone with AA knowledge could help. I reached out to the c.r.smith museum and as usual they had no insight whatsoever (which is sad they aren't documenting/archiving this kind of information).
 
MrBretz
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:13 pm

Re: AA early 747 question

Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:50 pm

This has always been a topic I have been interested in. The reason is that I flew AA from LAX to JFK to be in a family wedding either in 1970 or 1971 on an AA 747. I remember it because I had never been to NY before. I certainly wasn’t an enthusiast at that age. But 2 things stuck in my mind. The first was that there was a mini-ceremony as we were boarding the plane. I had no idea why. Secondly, I recall as we taxied out, there were people standing relatively near the north runway presumably to watch the 747 depart. I also recall the plane had an AA livery. And we used the north runway because it was longer than the south runway at the time. And as we taxied out, we towered over all the other aircraft. In retrospect, I imagined the ceremony might have been for the inaugural flight. But I recall traveling in June not March. With your mentioning the first flights did not have AA livery, I wonder if my flight might have been the first in AA’s colors, hence the ceremony on boarding. I hope someone else can give you some relevant information.
 
ozark1
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:38 am

Re: AA early 747 question

Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:27 pm

I am fairly certain that the “penthouse” area on the upper deck was a rest area for the pilots.
 
wernerga3
Topic Author
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Re: AA early 747 question

Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:32 pm

That was not a rest area. It was featured in the Boeing 747 brochure as AAs upper deck cabin.

Also, this is from the April 19 inaugural sfo flight. Notice the white paint base since it's a paa plane.
Image
 
User avatar
DL_Mech
Posts: 2492
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2000 7:48 am

Re: AA early 747 question

Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:37 pm

The first seat map that you show appears to be a PA configuration with the extra galleys on the main deck and six lavatories aft. The second seat map has two lavatories next to the stairs+four lavatories aft which match the 1976 map.

I wish I could answer your penthouse question. DL had it on the port side and your photo shows it starboard. It looks like a real plane and not a mockup.
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.
 
Qantas59
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: AA early 747 question

Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:02 am

What a great post. I'd never before seen the two early 747 seat maps that you posted.
It appears as if AA continued to call their own 747s Astroliners upon initial delivery.
AA must have installed the couch lounge and more familiar upper deck lounge and renamed the 747s Luxuryliners shortly after delivery?
I suppose the upper deck pic that you posted could be a brief version of the upper deck when they were still Astroliners, though I've never seen it either. Good luck.
[photoid][photoid][/photoid][/photoid]/Users/jaytanguay/Desktop/Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 9.30.09 AM.png
 
MO11
Posts: 1458
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: AA early 747 question

Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:12 am

Qantas59 wrote:
It appears as if AA continued to call their own 747s Astroliners upon initial delivery.
AA must have installed the couch lounge and more familiar upper deck lounge and renamed the 747s Luxuryliners shortly after delivery?


DC-10s were Astroliners....
 
wernerga3
Topic Author
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Re: AA early 747 question

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:25 am

DL_Mech wrote:
The first seat map that you show appears to be a PA configuration with the extra galleys on the main deck and six lavatories aft. The second seat map has two lavatories next to the stairs+four lavatories aft which match the 1976 map.

I wish I could answer your penthouse question. DL had it on the port side and your photo shows it starboard. It looks like a real plane and not a mockup.

Image
While this first one is in the paa configuration, notice the first class extends into the c zone where paa had all coach czone back.

Image
For this one, which is late 1970, you can see the tables in the b zone for dining and you can see the dividers for the swivel seats in the cone. I'm imagining this was the initial delivery where the photo of the upper lounge I found existed on. When it was still an astroliner but not the paa plane. Then quickly they became luxury liners with the updated interior with dual lounges.
 
User avatar
DL_Mech
Posts: 2492
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2000 7:48 am

Re: AA early 747 question

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:36 am

I wonder what the “do not sell” seats on the -121 were all about.
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.
 
wernerga3
Topic Author
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Re: AA early 747 question

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:45 am

DL_Mech wrote:
I wonder what the “do not sell” seats on the -121 were all about.

They were sort of lounge seats in the front of first class. Could be used for dining like the rest of the central swivel chair tables.

Image
Image



Here's a clearer photo of what I assume was the early upper deck
Image
I just wish I could figure out more. The seats appear to be swivel style like the ones on the main deck. Notice the matching red carpet too.
 
User avatar
sjones1975
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:23 am

Re: AA early 747 question

Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:11 am

I've seen a bunch of pictures of these amazing looking coach lounges on AA widebodies from the early 1970s. My question is how did they work? Did you need to pay an extra fee to access them? The lounge looks a lot more comfortable than coach class seating; if anyone from coach class could sit there, I would imagine that there would be a mad rush for the lounge seats after takeoff. So how did it work, was there a ticket system, or was it operated on a first-come, first-served basis? Was there a time limit on how long you could stay there? I imagine people in the lounge would not want to go back to their coach class seat, even if coach class in those days meant 9-across (not 10) on a 747 and 8-across (not 9) on a DC-10. Thanks for any info you can provide.
my longest flight in a 757: FRU-ADA-SNN-BWI
 
NYCAAer
Posts: 786
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:22 pm

Re: AA early 747 question

Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:45 am

sjones1975 wrote:
I've seen a bunch of pictures of these amazing looking coach lounges on AA widebodies from the early 1970s. My question is how did they work? Did you need to pay an extra fee to access them? The lounge looks a lot more comfortable than coach class seating; if anyone from coach class could sit there, I would imagine that there would be a mad rush for the lounge seats after takeoff. So how did it work, was there a ticket system, or was it operated on a first-come, first-served basis? Was there a time limit on how long you could stay there? I imagine people in the lounge would not want to go back to their coach class seat, even if coach class in those days meant 9-across (not 10) on a 747 and 8-across (not 9) on a DC-10. Thanks for any info you can provide.


There was no extra fee for accessing the coach lounge. It was done on a first come, first serve basis. There was no time limit on how long you could spend there. The coach lounge became more popular than the upper deck first class lounge because of the piano. From what the senior ladies I’ve flown with have told me, you never knew who would end up playing the piano. You might have gotten an impromptu concert from Stevie Wonder!

The flights were never as full as they are in today’s world, so overcrowding wasn’t as much of an issue. In fact, AA put in the piano lounge as a way to attract customers, because they were having trouble filling all the seats. There’s a really cool TV advertisement for the AA 747 piano lounge that featured a young Henry Winkler, still on YouTube.
 
klkla
Posts: 847
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:51 am

Re: AA early 747 question

Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:39 am

NYCAAer wrote:
The coach lounge became more popular than the upper deck first class lounge because of the piano. From what the senior ladies I’ve flown with have told me, you never knew who would end up playing the piano. You might have gotten an impromptu concert from Stevie Wonder!

The flights were never as full as they are in today’s world, so overcrowding wasn’t as much of an issue. In fact, AA put in the piano lounge as a way to attract customers, because they were having trouble filling all the seats. There’s a really cool TV advertisement for the AA 747 piano lounge that featured a young Henry Winkler, still on YouTube.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKENjXZJ3yI
 
Qantas59
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: AA early 747 question

Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:48 am

For the upper deck lounge we'd leave a plastic cup containing a certain amount of coat tags at the bottom of the stairs for passengers to take before going upstairs. If the cup was empty you couldn't go up. This was because there were only so many oxygen masks in the lounge in case of a decompression.
This scenario generally applied to charter flights.
That upper deck pic continues to baffle me. Strange that those two seats are placed so close together.

AA DC-10s were never Astroliners, delivered as Luxuryliners.
[photoid][photoid][/photoid][/photoid]/Users/jaytanguay/Desktop/Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 9.30.09 AM.png
 
seat1a
Posts: 606
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:52 pm

Re: AA early 747 question

Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:54 am

Great post and pictures! Thank you 'werberga3' whoever you are.

Back in 1972 or 1973 my dad took my brother and me on a boondogle from Detroit to Chicago. United on the outbound. But AA747 ORD-DTW on the return. Sat in that first section of coach in the paired seats on the starboard side (my brother a row in front). We got to see the piano. And also got to the flight deck to visit the crew. The pilot opened the hatch and i was allowed to stick my head out and looked back to the tail. Fell in love airplanes and airlines from that moment forward. Will never forget it.
 
aaway
Posts: 1449
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:07 am

Re: AA early 747 question

Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:42 am

wernerga3 wrote:
This is where it gets weird. I've come across this photo below many times over the years, and have confirmed it is from a 1971 Boeing 747 brochure which shows off all the new cabins they had been installing across the different airlines. They show this picture for the AA upper deck and it is clearly the penthouse option like on delta where they split the top deck in half and part is private. The seat designs even match those of the AA first class cabin, so I'm confused what this is. Was it just a mock up that never made it to production? Was it a last second change on AAs part? Did this private penthouse upper deck actually exist at some point prior to their luxury liner intro?
Image

I figured someone with AA knowledge could help. I reached out to the c.r.smith museum and as usual they had no insight whatsoever (which is sad they aren't documenting/archiving this kind of information).


Interesting obscure topic! Honest query (apologies in advance for not being able to help you out) - are you sure the origin of this pic? The reason I ask is because AA B741s didn't undergo the upper deck conversion to the window configuration shown. The AA 747SPs did have this style upper deck window configuration. [EDIT - Those aren't all actual windows, but apparently decorative paneling]

OTOH, I agree that is definitely an old AA cabin interior motif. Somehow though, I'm having doubts that its the upper deck of an active aircraft.
Last edited by aaway on Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard
 
aaway
Posts: 1449
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:07 am

Re: AA early 747 question

Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:51 am

MrBretz wrote:
....I flew AA from LAX to JFK to be in a family wedding either in 1970 or 1971 on an AA 747. I remember it because I had never been to NY before. I certainly wasn’t an enthusiast at that age. But 2 things stuck in my mind. The first was that there was a mini-ceremony as we were boarding the plane. I had no idea why. Secondly, I recall as we taxied out, there were people standing relatively near the north runway presumably to watch the 747 depart. I also recall the plane had an AA livery. And we used the north runway because it was longer than the south runway at the time. And as we taxied out, we towered over all the other aircraft....


The reason you departed the north side is because, at that time, the bridge that forms the top of the tunnels under the 7/25s did not have sufficient weight bearing capability for 74s (arriving or departing), as well as some heavier DC10 & L1011 operations. It wasn't until 1985 or so that the south side was retrofitted to increase the weight bearing capability.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard
 
aaway
Posts: 1449
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:07 am

Re: AA early 747 question

Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:37 am

Qantas59 wrote:
What a great post. I'd never before seen the two early 747 seat maps that you posted.
It appears as if AA continued to call their own 747s Astroliners upon initial delivery.
AA must have installed the couch lounge and more familiar upper deck lounge and renamed the 747s Luxuryliners shortly after delivery?
I suppose the upper deck pic that you posted could be a brief version of the upper deck when they were still Astroliners, though I've never seen it either. Good luck.


The scenario you outline here seems pretty plausible. The 'Astrojet' marketing theme was at roughly its midlife when AA ordered the 74s in 1966. The Vignelli scheme was introduced in May 1969. AA was still in the midst of transitioning in 1970.

Considering how new aircraft were marketed by the airline back then, I'd imagine that the AA marketing push for the 74 began about a year before its introduction. Likely a small fortune had already been spent on Astrojet themed promotion material, and would make sense to transition to the new theme when AA spec 74s arrived.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard
 
wernerga3
Topic Author
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Re: AA early 747 question

Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:57 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra24w808NYA

Here's an amazing video from when they did a fa training on the new luxury liner. Probably in 1971 some time. This video has the piano lounge and of course the updated upper deck. I've seen this seating chart before but it is very hard to find with the coach lounge.

My guess is that the very first 747s they got after leasing, which were still astroliners, had a different upper deck. Those seats look very close together because they likely swiveled to face the bench once the people sat down. Given the swivel chairs on the main deck, that is plausible. But then what was on the other side of the upper deck? With Delta, they did half penthouse and half regular lounge. Wonder if it's the same. Finding an upper deck schematic from that one year is seeming to be impossible.
Last edited by wernerga3 on Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
JFKCMILAXFLL
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:45 pm

Re: AA early 747 question

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:02 pm

I remember the piano bar. My first flight on the Queen was SJU-JFK in December 1973. Very cool.
 
FCOTSTW
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:14 pm

Re: AA early 747 question

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:25 pm

Here is something unthinkable now:

New York to Chicago on a four-engine airplane with "broad" aisles, with smoking and non-smoking sections, with some sections of the airplane with IFE (although rudimentary) and others not, and with meal service. Quite a few things have changed along the way...
 
FCOTSTW
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:14 pm

Re: AA early 747 question

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:29 pm

wernerga3 wrote:
DL_Mech wrote:
I wonder what the “do not sell” seats on the -121 were all about.

They were sort of lounge seats in the front of first class. Could be used for dining like the rest of the central swivel chair tables.

Image
Image



Here's a clearer photo of what I assume was the early upper deck
Image
I just wish I could figure out more. The seats appear to be swivel style like the ones on the main deck. Notice the matching red carpet too.


This is somehow similar to TWA' s early L-1011 layout, where in the second section from the front they had large circular tables with four seats. Typical of the early 70s, later abandoned in favore of more revenue-generating seats.
 
ozark1
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:38 am

Re: AA early 747 question

Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:24 pm

wernerga3 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra24w808NYA

Here's an amazing video from when they did a fa training on the new luxury liner. Probably in 1971 some time. This video has the piano lounge and of course the updated upper deck. I've seen this seating chart before but it is very hard to find with the coach lounge.

My guess is that the very first 747s they got after leasing, which were still astroliners, had a different upper deck. Those seats look very close together because they likely swiveled to face the bench once the people sat down. Given the swivel chairs on the main deck, that is plausible. But then what was on the other side of the upper deck? With Delta, they did half penthouse and half regular lounge. Wonder if it's the same. Finding an upper deck schematic from that one year is seeming to be impossible.

You guys ready for some interesting trivia? You will see that one woman figures prominently in the video. She has a navy jacket on and red bows in her pigtails. After that you see her in a classroom at the stewardess college for some one on one instruction. This is Lynda Byrd Johnson Robb, the daughter of President Lyndon Johnson. She married Charles Robb whose dad was city manager for AA in SDF. I only know this because my dad had the same position in ELP and they were friends. I just looked up her biography and it says that she wrote articles for The Ladies Home Journal from 1969 to 1981. I cannot find any article, but there is no mistaking her for being the “star” of this very interesting clip.
 
Miamiairport
Posts: 665
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:14 pm

Re: AA early 747 question

Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:39 pm

FCOTSTW wrote:
Here is something unthinkable now:

New York to Chicago on a four-engine airplane with "broad" aisles, with smoking and non-smoking sections, with some sections of the airplane with IFE (although rudimentary) and others not, and with meal service. Quite a few things have changed along the way...


I often think what would the expression on people's faces be if you could be transported to 1970 and ask a plane load of paxs at a gate "do you want to see what air travel will be like in 2020?" Of course they would have faces of glee thinking the amazing and fabulous things. Then when you actually showed them the look on their faces.
 
User avatar
cathay747
Posts: 1492
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:47 pm

Re: AA early 747 question

Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:54 pm

wernerga3 wrote:
Image
While this first one is in the paa configuration, notice the first class extends into the c zone where paa had all coach czone back.

Image
For this one, which is late 1970, you can see the tables in the b zone for dining and you can see the dividers for the swivel seats in the cone. I'm imagining this was the initial delivery where the photo of the upper lounge I found existed on. When it was still an astroliner but not the paa plane. Then quickly they became luxury liners with the updated interior with dual lounges.


Three things astound me looking at these 2 seat maps:
1. I've never before seen either so therefore I've never before seen that any airline ever had 80+ F seats on their 747; I think the most I've ever seen previously was in the neighborhood of ~60-65. Wow...halfway back into the C-zone!
2. for both the 86-seat allegedly PA config. and also the 88-seat AA config. I just can't believe there were only THREE (PA) and TWO (AA) lavs for such a huge number of F class pax!
3. I realize this was the early 70's, but my God, the ratio of smoking seats vs. non-smoking is unbelievable! I think it's the first time I've ever seen more smoking vs. non-smoking.
Try a Little VC-10derness
 
Ziyulu
Posts: 903
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:35 am

Re: AA early 747 question

Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:11 pm

Single seats in the back in Y!
 
jmdc861
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:05 pm

Re: AA early 747 question

Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:55 pm

Did one of these first AA 747's fly from JFK to DFW as well ? I recall being on one but cannot remember if the year was 1970 or 1971 ?
 
wernerga3
Topic Author
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Re: AA early 747 question

Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:27 pm

Don't forget that there was an upper deck bathroom for first class as well. So there were three technically.

Here is another early seat map from 1969 which was their original plan before they leased from paa. It had a lot more seats in the center of the b zone and no first class in the c zone. It also didn't have seats in front of the staircase. This was a fa internal service memo guide, but I don't think this config ever existed.
Image

Naturally they expected to take delivery of the astroliner in its current at the time livery, but that changed right before deliveries began.
Image

Been researching and came across something interesting. It says in this 1970 photo that there is an upstairs stateroom: the Captain's deck. Hmmmmmmmm.
Image

This is the 1971 brochure that the AA stateroom photo came from:
Image

Of course the early safety cards don't show anything of the upper deck layout
Image

It is very similar to the delta penthouse in the sky which was only half of the upper deck with its own door (this photo is reversed for some reason. Delta had it on the left side not the right.)
Image
Image




As we know, later on AA added the coach lounge which initially had just the bar and then added the piano in lieu of the bar and this is when they redid the upper deck as well and started calling them luxury liners. I just wish there was more info about that initial upper deck!
Image
Image
Image
Image
 
wernerga3
Topic Author
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Re: AA early 747 question

Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:43 pm

MO11 wrote:
Qantas59 wrote:
It appears as if AA continued to call their own 747s Astroliners upon initial delivery.
AA must have installed the couch lounge and more familiar upper deck lounge and renamed the 747s Luxuryliners shortly after delivery?


DC-10s were Astroliners....

The AA dc10 was introduced as a luxury liner along with the 747 update in late 71, early 72. I know it debuted with the coach lounge in the rear and the first class lounge in the front because I've seen the intro brochure.

Image
Image
 
Qantas59
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: AA early 747 question

Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:41 pm

Nice catch on the phrase upper deck stateroom, The Captain's Deck. While the accompanying map in that brochure does show the Pan Am seat map (main deck galley units for PA vs. lower galleys for AA), I'm sure we can eliminate any possibility that the PA 747-121s had that "private stateroom".
AA took delivery of 10 747-123s (N9661 to N9670) between June and December of 1970. AA was already advertising Luxuryliner lounges in April 1971, which should imply that some act. had already been reconfigured by then.
Regarding the Astroliner "staterooms" I'' curious as to how many of these first 10 747-123s actually had them installed.
[photoid][photoid][/photoid][/photoid]/Users/jaytanguay/Desktop/Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 9.30.09 AM.png
 
wernerga3
Topic Author
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Re: AA early 747 question

Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:35 pm

Qantas59 wrote:
Nice catch on the phrase upper deck stateroom, The Captain's Deck. While the accompanying map in that brochure does show the Pan Am seat map (main deck galley units for PA vs. lower galleys for AA), I'm sure we can eliminate any possibility that the PA 747-121s had that "private stateroom".
AA took delivery of 10 747-123s (N9661 to N9670) between June and December of 1970. AA was already advertising Luxuryliner lounges in April 1971, which should imply that some act. had already been reconfigured by then.
Regarding the Astroliner "staterooms" I'' curious as to how many of these first 10 747-123s actually had them installed.


Yeah. They leased the paa unit from march-june iirc and it did both the lax (March 2) and sfo (April 19) inaugural flights.

So theoretically, the astroliners initially delivered between June of 70 and april of 71 could've had the stateroom. My thought is that they delivered some with it and then by the time the final deliveries were being made in dec 70, that they had already been building them with the new config and lux liner name while the initial few were flying with the stateroom.

One thing is for sure, the 747 had a tumultuous launch and many airlines made many changes very quickly after introducing it. Paa changed their cabin countless times (per my book) and it seems aa was no different.

I believe the initial one they leased from paa had an exact paa cabin. They just installed more of the paa first class seat types into the c zone. Therefore the upper deck lounge was likely the paa lounge with the 8 swivel seats and 8 couch chairs.

Since that ad mentioning the state room was from 1970, it could've been using the paa seat map since they were leasing at that exact time, yet expecting the stateroom early astroliner within a few months so they mention it.

One thing is for sure, my curiosity it piqued.
 
TYWoolman
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: AA early 747 question

Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:17 pm

Interesting pictures and seat maps. As a side note in jest: "Sky Club Coach!" Can Delta retroactively file an infringement lawsuit? Flagship payback!
 
Qantas59
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: AA early 747 question

Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:49 am

Delta initiated 747-132 service on 25 Oct 1970. While I'm not certain if DL had the "Penthouse" setup when the type began revenue operations, I suppose it's possible that they liked what they saw in AA's Astroliners "stateroom" that had entered service in June.
[photoid][photoid][/photoid][/photoid]/Users/jaytanguay/Desktop/Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 9.30.09 AM.png
 
BN727flyr
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:06 am

Re: AA early 747 question

Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:43 am

jmdc861 wrote:
Did one of these first AA 747's fly from JFK to DFW as well ? I recall being on one but cannot remember if the year was 1970 or 1971 ?


Probably 1971, maybe 1970, but it was to/from DAL, not DFW. DFW was not open yet (1973, I think).
 
wernerga3
Topic Author
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Re: AA early 747 question

Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:44 pm

There's a guy restoring a 1/24 1970 AA 747 astroliner and it has the upper deck stateroom!!! I requested some close up photos of it, and it appears that there was a room on the right side with the bench and swivel chairs, and then there were swivel chairs outside the room. Very similar to how delta setup theirs. I can't believe how undocumented this is!! I can't really see the left side to tell if there is another room.

Image
Image




1970 astroliner ad
Image

1971 luxuryliner ad
Image
 
User avatar
ojjunior
Posts: 963
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:31 am

Re: AA early 747 question

Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:20 pm

wernerga3 wrote:
There's a guy restoring a 1/24 1970 AA 747 astroliner and it has the upper deck stateroom!!! I requested some close up photos of it, and it appears that there was a room on the right side with the bench and swivel chairs, and then there were swivel chairs outside the room. Very similar to how delta setup theirs. I can't believe how undocumented this is!! I can't really see the left side to tell if there is another room.

Image
Image




1970 astroliner ad
Image

1971 luxuryliner ad
Image


Loved those billboards!

Why don't airlines have those giant ads around anymore nowadays??
 
User avatar
sbajim
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:43 pm

Re: AA early 747 question

Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:39 pm

In 1971 I flew from LAX to WAS (don't remember the airport) in an AA 747. There was a lounge at the rear of the cabin. I took a photo of it which (hopefully) can be viewed here [photoid]http://www.stubchaer.com/AA_B747_1971.jpg[/photoid]. I just joined Airliners and this is my first post, so I'm a novice at posting. Here's the link in case it failed to embed before: "http://www.stubchaer.com/AA_B747_1971.jpg"
As I recall, there was a bowl of iced cans of beer on the piano. The believe the cost was 50¢ on the honor system.
 
User avatar
deltacto
Posts: 473
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: AA early 747 question

Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:15 pm

sbajim wrote:
In 1971 I flew from LAX to WAS (don't remember the airport) in an AA 747. There was a lounge at the rear of the cabin. I took a photo of it which (hopefully) can be viewed here [photoid]http://www.stubchaer.com/AA_B747_1971.jpg[/photoid]. I just joined Airliners and this is my first post, so I'm a novice at posting. Here's the link in case it failed to embed before: "http://www.stubchaer.com/AA_B747_1971.jpg"


Welcome !

In 1971 most likely you would have flown into Dulles (IAD) ... I don't know if AA flew into Baltimore from LAX ... And National (DCA) was too small for 747's

Don't put your link quotes ... just type it out ... then we can click on the link

http://www.stubchaer.com/AA_B747_1971.jpg

embedding a pic on a post here is not easy at all ... I tried to do it for you ...
depending on the website, sometimes it works, but this time it doesnt
Regardelss, we can still click on your link

Thank you for sharing this awesome pic !!
 
wernerga3
Topic Author
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Re: AA early 747 question

Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:48 pm

Image

so you must have been on one of the first luxuryliners with the coach lounge since you say it was a bar and not the piano. Very cool!

Now if we could just figure out the astroliner upper deck..
 
wernerga3
Topic Author
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Re: AA early 747 question

Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:27 am

Image
Image

More of the coach lounge. Not sure what that blue thing is
 
wernerga3
Topic Author
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Re: AA early 747 question

Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:28 am

Image

This is a rare photo of the American leased paa first class cabin. You can tell from the seat type and the blue wall closet. They just added red headrest covers.


I know I've seen a photo of the American leased paa coach cabin in a press photo that was ultra generic labelled like jumbo jet cabin or something. I remember it had the paa coach seats with the AA headrest covers. I've been hunting everywhere for the photo.
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15732
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: AA early 747 question

Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:27 am

klkla wrote:
NYCAAer wrote:
The coach lounge became more popular than the upper deck first class lounge because of the piano. From what the senior ladies I’ve flown with have told me, you never knew who would end up playing the piano. You might have gotten an impromptu concert from Stevie Wonder!

The flights were never as full as they are in today’s world, so overcrowding wasn’t as much of an issue. In fact, AA put in the piano lounge as a way to attract customers, because they were having trouble filling all the seats. There’s a really cool TV advertisement for the AA 747 piano lounge that featured a young Henry Winkler, still on YouTube.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKENjXZJ3yI


So, no one noticed The Fonz at the 0:24 mark of this video????
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
User avatar
DarkSnowyNight
Posts: 2667
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:59 pm

Re: AA early 747 question

Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:53 am

wernerga3 wrote:

More of the coach lounge. Not sure what that blue thing is


Dog box. There is a rack on each side that slides outward and has several O2 Bottles mounted to it.
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."
 
Doublecatered
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:47 am

Re: AA early 747 question

Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:46 am

Awesome thread!
Any chance we can see more pages of that 747 One Year On brochure?
The front cover alone is fabulous
 
CURQ400
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 10:29 am

Re: AA early 747 question

Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:28 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
klkla wrote:
NYCAAer wrote:
The coach lounge became more popular than the upper deck first class lounge because of the piano. From what the senior ladies I’ve flown with have told me, you never knew who would end up playing the piano. You might have gotten an impromptu concert from Stevie Wonder!

The flights were never as full as they are in today’s world, so overcrowding wasn’t as much of an issue. In fact, AA put in the piano lounge as a way to attract customers, because they were having trouble filling all the seats. There’s a really cool TV advertisement for the AA 747 piano lounge that featured a young Henry Winkler, still on YouTube.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKENjXZJ3yI


So, no one noticed The Fonz at the 0:24 mark of this video????


It’s mentioned in the post you quoted. (Emphasis mine.)
 
User avatar
cathay747
Posts: 1492
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:47 pm

Re: AA early 747 question

Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:08 pm

deltacto wrote:
sbajim wrote:
In 1971 I flew from LAX to WAS (don't remember the airport) in an AA 747. There was a lounge at the rear of the cabin. I took a photo of it which (hopefully) can be viewed here [photoid]http://www.stubchaer.com/AA_B747_1971.jpg[/photoid]. I just joined Airliners and this is my first post, so I'm a novice at posting. Here's the link in case it failed to embed before: "http://www.stubchaer.com/AA_B747_1971.jpg"


Welcome !

In 1971 most likely you would have flown into Dulles (IAD) ... I don't know if AA flew into Baltimore from LAX ... And National (DCA) was too small for 747's


It was most definitely IAD, and would have been flight 76; I flew it several times myself as a kid w/parents. The later AA nonstop remained a 707 for many more years. And AA didn't fly LAX-BAL, UA had that route; DCA was not only too small by a huge margin, but also LAX was way beyond the allowed perimeter for nonstops to/from DCA.
Try a Little VC-10derness
 
wernerga3
Topic Author
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Re: AA early 747 question

Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:51 pm

Okay update time:

I got some photos from that guy who is restoring the model (special thanks to stratroliner at diecast aircraft forum) It is an original model from their launch of the astroliner after taking initial delivery. The upper deck had two state rooms (one on each side) which had a bench on the back wall, and swivel seats like the dining chairs downstairs. There were also 4 swivel seats mounted outside the state rooms for general lounge use called the Captain's deck. Two beige and two black similar to the downstairs theme. The state rooms had curtains for privacy. They only lasted about 8 months.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image




I wonder how delta plays into this. Because they advertise their penthouse as an exclusive so my thought is they introduced it right around the time aa moved to the lux liner setup with a full upstairs lounge.
 
User avatar
DL_Mech
Posts: 2492
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2000 7:48 am

Re: AA early 747 question

Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:06 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
wernerga3 wrote:

More of the coach lounge. Not sure what that blue thing is


Dog box. There is a rack on each side that slides outward and has several O2 Bottles mounted to it.


Usually mounted in front of a bulkhead and behind the last row of seats. It was probably moved from where the bar/piano was located.
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.
 
User avatar
DL_Mech
Posts: 2492
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2000 7:48 am

Re: AA early 747 question

Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:20 pm

Lots of cabin shots in the first part of this video. Everything after 8:02 is a cabin mockup at the training center.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6DBwJRxsSY
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.
 
wernerga3
Topic Author
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Re: AA early 747 question

Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:43 pm

wernerga3 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra24w808NYA

Here's an amazing video from when they did a fa training on the new luxury liner. Probably in 1971 some time. This video has the piano lounge and of course the updated upper deck. I've seen this seating chart before but it is very hard to find with the coach lounge.


DL_Mech wrote:
Lots of cabin shots in the first part of this video. Everything after 8:02 is a cabin mockup at the training center.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6DBwJRxsSY


Thanks- that was actually the Same video I posted earlier in the thread. But that has to be at least 1972, because there is the organ and that was not in the initial 1971 luxuryliners which just had the stand up bar in the rear.

I wish there was more about the early astroliner staterooms.

Who is online

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos