Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

GLANKG
Topic Author

Vienna Airport to exempt landing charge and subsidise departing passengers

Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:31 pm

Vienna Airport offers Restart Package for airlines to stimulate tourism and aviation.
https://www.routesonline.com/airports/2527/vienna-international-airport/news/292067/covid-19-crisis-vienna-airport-restart-package-/
Restart Package is based on 2 pillars:

- With retroactive effect from 29 March 2020 and lasting until the end of year 2020, VIE will implement an incentive where 100% of the landing charge for scheduled passenger flights will be refunded.

- In 2021 already existing customers will be supported in re-establishing capacities that were initially planned in 2020. The requested slots for scheduled passenger flights planned in 2020 at Vienna Airport are used as the basis. For airlines resuming their services as planned in 2020, Vienna Airport will incentivize each departing passenger ex Vienna with 2, 3 or 4 EUR, depending on the stage length (short,-medium, or long-haul flights) if at least 65% of the requested seats in 2020 are again offered in 2021.

VIE is the 10th busiest Airport in the EU, and handled over 31.67 million passengers last year. Of which Austrian Airlines accounted for 13.6 million (43.2%), Lauda carried 2.6 million, Eurowings 2.2 million, Wizz 2 million, Easyjet 1.2 million. With the landing fee exemption I'd say it's quite a handout. Vienna Airport Group made a consolidated net profit after tax over € 180 last year with EBITDA exceed € 395 million (44% margin). In May they introduced COVID-19 test on spot where you could get a result within 3 hours to avoid 14-day quarantine if arriving from certain countries, they must have contributed massively to OS's new 200 million savings through partners and suppliers too. We have seen plenty government funded programs (some through airport grant) but rarely talked about incentives offered by private airports to help industry in the event of Covid-19. Any more examples?

asdf

Re: Vienna Airport to exempt landing charge and subsidise departing passengers

Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:34 pm

GLANKG wrote:
.... Vienna Airport Group made a consolidated net profit after tax over € 180 last year ....

well
thats not a lot
if you fill up my truck and take a beer or two and some meat for a nice barbeque its € 180,- easily ....

GLANKG
Topic Author

Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:38 pm

asdf wrote:
GLANKG wrote:
.... Vienna Airport Group made a consolidated net profit after tax over € 180 last year ....

well
thats not a lot
if you fill up my truck and take a beer or two and some meat for a nice barbeque its € 180,- easily ....

my bad, it should be 180 million, I probably read too much about wirecard...

lightsaber

Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:01 pm

This is a fair way to maintain traffic. I rather like it compared to other schemes.

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

Blerg

Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:08 am

Starting from July 1st, Ryanair will open 64 route to/from Vienna airport. I guess such measures encouraged them to expand.

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/ryan ... -1st-july/

eurotrader85

Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:41 am

So how does this stack up with their proposed minimum flight price? I'm confused if VIE is trying to encourage traffic or push it away.

Toinou

Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:59 am

The minimum flight price is not a Vienna airport rule, it's set by the Austrian government.
Even if the airport is publicly owned (which I guess it is), it is probably operated autonomously.
But I agree it's somewhat contradictory and it may cause some tensions.

PatrickZ80

Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:43 am

Also the minimum flight price law hasn't been accepted yet, so far it has only been proposed. As you can read in the article, Ryanair will do everything they can to oppose the introduction of that law, which they call illegal. And in fact they're right about it, European laws clearly state that airlines have the right to set their own pricing policy. So if the Austrian government tries to implement a minimum price law, chances are very high that the EU would not allow it.

Meanwhile Ryanair will be offering plenty of cheap flights way below the proposed minimum price. That way, they're trying to make the Austrians addicted to low prices. And once they are addicted, they will oppose this law proposal as well.

Most of the routes Ryanair will open to/from Vienna aren't entirely new by the way, they were previously operated by Lauda. Now that Lauda has pulled out of Vienna, Ryanair is taking over with their own brand.

Andy33

Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:32 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Most of the routes Ryanair will open to/from Vienna aren't entirely new by the way, they were previously operated by Lauda. Now that Lauda has pulled out of Vienna, Ryanair is taking over with their own brand.

That's true, although agreement was reached between Ryanair and the Lauda pilots and cabin crew at the last minute, as a result the "new" flights with FR flight numbers will mostly be operated by Laudamotion aircrew and aircraft ("Ryanair operated by Laudamotion", using A320s). Others are operated from existing Ryanair bases at the opposite end of the routes, and are straight replacements for Laudamotion flights. Laudamotion will shrink significantly from its pre-COVID size.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos