Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

behramjee
Topic Author

Official: Emirates to consider smaller aircraft

Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:30 pm

Article link: https://www.arabianbusiness.com/transpo ... t-covid-19

Its behind a pay-wall so the summary is as follows:

a) EK COO Mr Adel al Redha disclosed that its fleet strategy going forward is being reviewed again due to the effect CV-19 has had on the business and future forecasts

b) He confirmed that over the long term operating an exclusive wide body fleet is not sustainable

c) He revealed that EK will need narrow body aircraft going forward "to re-define its operating model"

My comments:

i. I wouldn’t be surprised if Airbus gets an order for the A321Neo family in exchange for cancelling some unbuilt A350s and A380s as many airlines have deferred / cancelled taking delivery slots of the A321Neos for the next few years hence this would ensure rapid delivery of the aircraft if need be.

ii. I do not foresee EK ordering Boeing 737MAXs despite FZ having a large order already on the table as the risk is too high currently.

iii. If however EK does order the A321Neo I do not foresee it ordering the XLR version for 8-9 hour flights as that it’s WB fleet will be made to operate due to pax comfort and incremental cargo revenue opportunity in the belly. Plus with EK's 2 prime hub wave departure banks being between 0800-0900 + 1400-1500, the A321Neo-XLR wont be able to depart with a full payload on intended 8-9 hour flights due to the on ground temperature being 42-45C at that time in the summer season.

iv. A realistic configuration of the A321Neo for EK could be similar to Aer Lingus’ ie 16J with flat beds + 168Y therefore ensuring a standardized flat bed premium product across its entire fleet.

v. It would be ideally suited for its GCC/MENA network + few cities in ISC/SEZ/East Africa + would allow it to better expand in CIS/Eastern Europe.
Last edited by SQ22 on Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title was misleading

Polot

Re: Official: Emirates to consider adding narrow body aircraft

Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:32 pm

As I said in the deleted thread, at this point it would just make more sense to merge FlyDubai and Emirates. FlyDubai already has a full service hard product, at least on the Maxes. Unsure what their soft product is like but that obviously could be changed.

usflyer msp

Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:34 pm

Polot wrote:
As I said in the deleted thread, at this point it would just make more sense to merge FlyDubai and Emirates. FlyDubai already has a full service hard product, at least on the Maxes. Unsure what their soft product is like but that obviously could be changed.

I concur. Was this not the point of the EK/FZ partnership?

MileHFL400

Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:28 pm

I thought they were going to absorb Fly Dubai and their 737 fleet? Probably makes sense as opposed to ordering another type of aircraft.
Thanks and best Regards
AA

argentinevol98

Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:42 pm

The A321 seems like it would be the ideal NB at EK but I can't see how EK justifies buying a new fleet of aircraft right now or even in the new future when the have the 737 MAX fleet at FlyDubai. It would cost quite little to integrate I think. They even already have a flat-bed product. As other posters are saying it seems like a merger SQ/Silk Air style makes way more sense.

Addition: What is the FlyDubai fleet strategy anyway? Why do they have orders for 70 7M9s but also 50 7MJs? Seems a bit odd. The intended fleet of 130 7M8s also seems wildly excessive. 250 NBs out of Dubai? I could see EK taking part of the MAX fleet. Maybe 7MJs and 7M8s where more performance is needed but I can't see a market space for the full order. Could be wrong though.
Last edited by argentinevol98 on Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He sospechado alguna vez que la única cosa sin misterio es la felicidad, porque se justifica por sí sola"-Jorge Luis Borges

chrisp390

Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:45 pm

This has been the goal all along and explains why EK pressured FZ so heavily into not acquiring the A321 in its last narrow body order.

MoKa777

Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:54 pm

chrisp390 wrote:
This has been the goal all along and explains why EK pressured FZ so heavily into not acquiring the A321 in its last narrow body order.

Do you have a source for this?
Never be proud. Always be grateful.

MoKa777

Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:00 pm

argentinevol98 wrote:
Addition: What is the FlyDubai fleet strategy anyway? Why do they have orders for 70 7M9s but also 50 7MJs? Seems a bit odd. The intended fleet of 130 7M8s also seems wildly excessive. 250 NBs out of Dubai? I could see EK taking part of the MAX fleet. Maybe 7MJs and 7M8s where more performance is needed but I can't see a market space for the full order. Could be wrong though.

I'm right there with you... no idea why 250-odd NBs are required in the first place at FZ.

EK will have over 250 WBs depending on the number of A380s they continue flying for the long-term.

And you can bet your sweet patoot that EK will do the crazy thing and add another 50-100 new NBs to the mix now...

Add that to the 250 NBs at FZ and there will be a distinct smell of new aircraft, overcapacity and regret when another global hiccup hits...
Never be proud. Always be grateful.

dfwking

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:04 pm

The article doesn’t say a word about a narrow body. The COO just said a smaller aircraft type. Even the A330neo falls into this category...

Nothing new here.

airportugal310

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:08 pm

dfwking wrote:
The article doesn’t say a word about a narrow body. The COO just said a smaller aircraft type. Even the A330neo falls into this category...

Nothing new here.

When did their last A332 leave the fleet?
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

behramjee
Topic Author

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:11 pm

argentinevol98 wrote:
The A321 seems like it would be the ideal NB at EK but I can't see how EK justifies buying a new fleet of aircraft right now or even in the new future when the have the 737 MAX fleet at FlyDubai. It would cost quite little to integrate I think. They even already have a flat-bed product. As other posters are saying it seems like a merger SQ/Silk Air style makes way more sense.

EK can use the deposits it has with Airbus for its already ordered (but yet to be delivered) A380s + A359s to be diverted to A321Neos if need be and permitted by the manufacturer.

TC957

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:14 pm

dfwking wrote:

Nothing new here.

Maybe, but in saying that the operation of exclusively wide-bodied aircraft is not sustainable in future tends to heavily suggest A330NEO's aren't on his mind.

Opus99

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:20 pm

dfwking wrote:

Nothing new here.

Article was updated. It initially said Narrow-body in the first paragraph

Exeiowa

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:20 pm

They do not have to go out and acquire new builds right now, there will be plenty of gently used frames available now and into the near future which people would happily give up.

lightsaber

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:21 pm

Polot wrote:

That sums it up. FlyDubai is the regional EK anyway.

If they order A321xLRs too, so be it. I could hope A220s, but I consider that unlikely.

Lightsaber

late add:
Exeiowa wrote:
They do not have to go out and acquire new builds right now, there will be plenty of gently used frames available now and into the near future which people would happily give up.

Thus great deals on new too. Used is last generation. I think EK could swing a deal
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

Exeiowa

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:30 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Polot wrote:

That sums it up. FlyDubai is the regional EK anyway.

If they order A321xLRs too, so be it. I could hope A220s, but I consider that unlikely.

Lightsaber

late add:
Exeiowa wrote:

Thus great deals on new too. Used is last generation. I think EK could swing a deal

I was thinking like new frames, ones received and not put into service, already built not yet delivered and not needed, and ones less than a year old in service from troubled airlines, not the one dropping of the end of 12 year leases.

Ishrion

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:31 pm

FrenchPotatoEye

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:41 pm

Emirates can and will use Max jets with/from the Flydubai.

No need for new order. And their won't be a new order.

behramjee
Topic Author

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:46 pm

A223 unfortunately is too small for EK's network needs but better suited for the likes of G9 if they had gone for a future A223 / A321Neo combo of ample quantities.

behramjee
Topic Author

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:50 pm

lightsaber wrote:

They can by (like I posted earlier) using their deposits on the A380/A350 for the A321Neo too.

Yes they wont take on used aircraft and would prefer new builds with their own signature on board product.
Last edited by behramjee on Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Insertnamehere

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:50 pm

This would be Airbus' order to lose. With Boeing desperate for someone to regain trust in the MAX I could see Boeing potentially dumping some MAXs in order to secure the order and to show both shareholders and MAX customers that they should continue their trust in the MAX program.

FrenchPotatoEye

Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:01 pm

Insertnamehere wrote:
This would be Airbus' order to lose. With Boeing desperate for someone to regain trust in the MAX I could see Boeing potentially dumping some MAXs in order to secure the order and to show both shareholders and MAX customers that they should continue their trust in the MAX program.

What order?

Says who?

There is no orders. Any EK narrowbodies jets will be from the Flydubai order.

Ziyulu

Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:13 pm

I thought FlyDubai charges for food on short haul?

Avgeek21

Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:02 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
I thought FlyDubai charges for food on short haul?
Yes and no. Depends on which website you booked at and what ticket type. EK passengers on an EK codeshare ticket get free meals.

Look, in the end of the day it's not like there is a surplus of money and business worldwide is booming. The UAE has always been good at looking ahead and being bold. Sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn't.

EK needs the A350's and only a handful of A380's are yet to be delivered. I see EK talking about converting these remaining frames into A35K's or something. Then there's the mess with the 777X and MAX on the other side of the pond. EK has massively invested in the 777X and MAX. Remember the money for these frames comes from the same pocket aka stakeholder. Does flydubai need 225+ MAX's? Even halve that? Before Covid hit parking the current combined fleet during peak times was a challenge with aircraft waiting on taxiways for a stand. It will snow in winter in the UAE before DWC is up and running at a decent capacity.

I foresee the combined stakeholder moving aircraft and options around between companies to fulfil needs, especially on the Boeing side. You typically get 1 B787 for 3 MAX's. Don't forget that flydubai already has 3 premium heavy 7M9's. Why? No other reason than to see if it they can make it worthwhile on the premium codeshare routes. The gap between 12 fully flatbed J class seats on the 7M8 and 42 on the 777 is too big. So they tried 16 J seats onto the MAX 9's. The gap's coming down. And yes they can (could?) fill those too as it's a really nice hard product. The soft product can be tailored further to EK's needs. What about the initial 50 7MJ's? I bet you the initial ones will be even more premium heavy. Why? EK codeshare. Unlikely the companies will merge. But orders and deliveries being shifted around is not too far fetched.

The A321NEO ( and it's new derivatives) is more capable than the 7MJ. But do you always need max capability? Yes it gives a bit more flexibility but that's it. The 7M8 burns less fuel than the A320NEO, is lighter and costs less to operate. You can adapt your fleet usage to suit your network. In the end of the day the new narrowbody aircraft are very close in spec. What matters is what kind of deal you get from the OEM. Training, conversion, certification, maintenance support, guarantees, delivery slots etc etc.

A few years back there were massive rumors about a merger. But business was booming and the business case just wasn't there. But everything has changed now due Covid. Name me a regional competitor that only operates widebodies...?

Fatbus

Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:54 pm

NB was not mentioned! Smaller aircraft was ie 787/330 . He also said a more involved tie up with FZ., did not say merge but close !

flyingclrs727

Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:01 pm

So does that mean Flydubai will be incorporated into Emirates?

x1234

Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:18 pm

So EK is becoming QR? QR flies to every major city in Eurasia including fromer CIS. I believe these markets only support 1 ME3 carrier.

smartplane

Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:20 pm

Polot wrote:

Over the last 4 years, both entities have resisted calls for a full merger.

During this period, FZ have repeatedly sought to add small WB's to the fleet, with the result EK insisted on the demarcation EK=WB only, and FZ=NB only. At the time, that looked like a 'heads we win, tails you lose' strategy for EK. But not now.

Merger seems like commonsense, but it you want to appropriately 'park' massive WB losses, and NB compensation, then FZ management will be fighting for continued separation, at least for now.

DLHAM

Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:55 pm

FrenchPotatoEye wrote:

Yeah I think so as well. The MAX suits Emirates pretty well, Dubai is close enough to most destinations that the extra range of the A321LR/XLR are not needed. The MAX8 and also MAX9 with Aux Tank should cover all of Europe, most of Africa, all of South Asia including all Indian Ocean destinations as well as all the way to Thailand, most of China and most of Russia as well.
My Instagram Account: Instagram

MIflyer12

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:03 pm

DLHAM wrote:
The MAX suits Emirates pretty well, Dubai is close enough to most destinations that the extra range of the A321LR/XLR are not needed. The MAX8 and also MAX9 with Aux Tank should cover all of Europe, most of Africa, all of South Asia including all Indian Ocean destinations as well as all the way to Thailand, most of China and most of Russia as well.

Let's hope somebody takes a good look at MAX performance charts for high temps.

argentinevol98

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:05 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:

Well given that they've already taken delivery and operated them out of DWC you would think that they're well aware of at least the 7M8 and 7M9's capabilities.
"He sospechado alguna vez que la única cosa sin misterio es la felicidad, porque se justifica por sí sola"-Jorge Luis Borges

DLHAM

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:08 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
DLHAM wrote:
The MAX suits Emirates pretty well, Dubai is close enough to most destinations that the extra range of the A321LR/XLR are not needed. The MAX8 and also MAX9 with Aux Tank should cover all of Europe, most of Africa, all of South Asia including all Indian Ocean destinations as well as all the way to Thailand, most of China and most of Russia as well.

I think they dont have to look at charts because they just have to ask their fellows at flyDubai as they already operated the MAX out of Dubai.
My Instagram Account: Instagram

Airlinerdude

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:59 pm

DLHAM wrote:
FrenchPotatoEye wrote:

Yeah I think so as well. The MAX suits Emirates pretty well, Dubai is close enough to most destinations that the extra range of the A321LR/XLR are not needed. The MAX8 and also MAX9 with Aux Tank should cover all of Europe, most of Africa, all of South Asia including all Indian Ocean destinations as well as all the way to Thailand, most of China and most of Russia as well.

I don't think so.

The root of the issue is that capacity in the post-covid world is being evaluated. They'll need to find a way to rightsize capacity until demand recovers. The EK business model is built on the long haul, premium experience, high volume hub and spoke traffic. The 7M8/321s just doesn't fit those elements of the business model. I think the only thing that we might see is an interest in the 788 or perhaps 339 again.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone get the impression that Al Redha is the one taking over the reins from Tim Clark? He seems to have been a lot more active in the media lately.

S0Y

Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:55 am

If the FZ 737 fleet does not work, there is always the EY fleet with plenty of A330/787 should a merger happen

FrenchPotatoEye

Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:49 am

Airlinerdude wrote:

I don't think so.

The root of the issue is that capacity in the post-covid world is being evaluated. They'll need to find a way to rightsize capacity until demand recovers. The EK business model is built on the long haul, premium experience, high volume hub and spoke traffic. The 7M8/321s just doesn't fit those elements of the business model. I think the only thing that we might see is an interest in the 788 or perhaps 339 again.

The Flydubai not getting all 200 maxes in one go!

Capacity not the issues. Also, Boeing will not be high production rates of max too.

Max fits well for fz routes and will work just fine for the ek routes where 777 and 7879 are too bigs.

You clearly understandings the overlap at fz top end and ek low end for business model.

Scotron12

Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:13 am

FrenchPotatoEye wrote:
Airlinerdude wrote:

I don't think so.

The Flydubai not getting all 200 maxes in one go!

Capacity not the issues. Also, Boeing will not be high production rates of max too.

Max fits well for fz routes and will work just fine for the ek routes where 777 and 7879 are too bigs.

You clearly understandings the overlap at fz top end and ek low end for business model.

FlyDubai does not need anywhere near 200 B737s! In a way they are fortunate that because of Covid, they can reduce their orders. Even if normal traffic resumed tomorrow, they would still have ordered too many.

If EK do order single aisle aircraft, which aircraft would they replace in their all WB fleet?

jghealey

Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:41 am

As others have said the article literally doesn't even mention anything to do with narrowbodies. You could even interpret it as them referring to the already ordered A350s and 787s which are already substantially smaller than A380/B777.

There is no sense in merging Flydubai and Emirates other than increased brand recognition on the part of Flydubai. Firstly the narrow body experience is far less premium and has a substantially different product to EK, while the 737NGs have quite an outdated product. Flydubai will likely also have vastly lower operational costs, an advantage that a merged Flydubai-Emirates would not benefit from. The same argument goes for Emirates operating its own narrowbodies, Flydubai will always have lower costs.

The a321 would have been the perfect aircraft for Flydubai imo, but I'm sure the 737 will serve them almost as well. Covid19 along with the MAX grounding will probably allow them to reduce their order cos there is no way they can find a use for 200 more 737s. As others have said QR has already saturated the market for new destinations and their narrowbody fleet isnt even more than 50 planes.

Jomar777

Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:08 am

Firstly, to kill off and avoid this thread being hijacked: NO A220 of any form. Does not work for them.

Secondly, and to the point, this has been always what I thought that makes Qatar Airways Fleet better than EK. To have small aircraft to make those GCCs hops of one hour or so rather than use an A380 to fly DXM-MCT sometimes. Such a waste.

The article does not specifically mentions NB but I see EK considering the A321 (maybe even the XLR for thin routes where cargo is not high on agenda - remember: they do have a separate cargo network anyway). It also opens the door for the B788 and A338 if they go for a WB option.

What they could do also, given the declaration of a more closer partnership with FZ, is to actually migrate short haul services to them and not touch on their fleet policy. This would lead to a leaner EK still operating WBs but with less short haul flights which would then be transferred to FZ potentially even to work with them on feeder services within the MENA region for example.

oschkosch

Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:45 am

I was thinking about various EK routes to India, e.g. BOM or DEL where a A321NEO would make sense. But then again, they normally use WB aircraft on these routes as they are usually (pre C-19) packed.
:stirthepot: :airplane: "This airplane is designed by clowns, who in turn are supervised by monkeys" :airplane: :stirthepot:

klwright69

Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:45 am

I remember Tower Air was the all 747 airline. EK is an all widebody airline. Seems like too much for this day and age.

QR could fly to smaller Saudi cities like Qassim and Abha.
Fly Dubai also went to Tabuk and Jizan.

Seems like there is room for a narrowbody gauge.

aemoreira1981

Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:37 am

I don't see a merger. I do see more synergies between EK and FZ though, where EK shrinks a lot and only operates more premium destinations, with FZ taking over thinner ones. That said, I can't see FZ maintaining the B38M/B39M in the fleet in the future unless Boeing fixes that problem by year's end. FZ could seek to acquire a lot of late-model A321s though and then order the A321neo and A321XLR. (I don't say the A321LR because that doesn't really handle belly cargo as well as the A321neo with one or two ACTs.) However, the A321 could allow for a 171 seat configuration with a lie-flat J (similar to B6, TP, EI, and SK), a small Y+, and then 31" Y...basically using the TP A321LR configuration. One could cut some destinations down from 8 flight attendants to 4.

Now, on routes to India, and likely also Germany (maximum 4 destinations allowed), I suspect that restrictive bilaterals are why EK flies wide-bodies there. However, a lot of Africa could be down-gauged to FZ.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos