Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CRJ5000
Topic Author

Completely Disobedient Pilot Refuses to Vacate LAS Class B Without Clearance/Argues With ATC

Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:18 am

A GA pilot flying to KHND on 06/20 had quite the exchange with ATC after he entered LAS class B airspace without clearance, and would not vacate or follow instructions.
This is one of the more blatant disregards for safety that I've seen, and the pilot is an absolute idiot who hopefully won't have his license much longer after this.
The audio is worth a listen...
https://onemileatatime.com/atc-audio-negligent-pilot/

Thoughts?

zeke

Re: Completely Disobedient Pilot Refuses to Vacate LAS Class B Without Clearance/Argues With ATC

Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:32 am

And looking the registration up it’s owner is “Wife Approved LLC”.

The controller was getting some attitude from the pilot, she obviously had a very busy frequency for the pilot to take up so much time.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

wetpantsmcgee

Re: Completely Disobedient Pilot Refuses to Vacate LAS Class B Without Clearance/Argues With ATC

Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:39 am

I highly doubt this guy walks out of the local FSDO with his license in one piece.

DiamondFlyer

Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:57 pm

wetpantsmcgee wrote:
I highly doubt this guy walks out of the local FSDO with his license in one piece.

He might get a 6 month suspension, but probably nothing worse than that.
From my cold, dead hands

Thenoflyzone

Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:28 pm

The pilot needs to brush up on his airspace classifications. He seems to be under the impression that simply establishing communication with ATC enables him to enter class B, when that is not the case.

Either that, or he knows perfectly well how class B airspace works and he’s being a tool...
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

ltbewr

Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:36 pm

This idiot put himself and others at risk, he probably figured with so few fights operating they could get away with it. He probably a rich jerk on the ground too. He should be grounded for life from piloting a plane.

CRJ5000
Topic Author

Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:28 pm

His radio phraseology leads me to believe he isn't very experienced. He just talks like he is on the phone rather than stating callsign, etc.

bigb

Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:42 pm

Thats not a possible pilot deviation, that is a pilot deviation lol. Dude gonna be grounded for awhile lol.

bigb

Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:43 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
wetpantsmcgee wrote:

He’s going to have a 709 ride as well for sure.

miegapele

Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:52 pm

If I learned anything reading all those Delta threads, ATC should be sentenced to death as a minimum for such behavior :)

SuseJ772

Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:47 pm

As a private pilot who was trained and continues to fly mostly in and around Class B, I just can’t imagine this. This guy shouldn’t be flying.

One time flying in TPA area I was too high and realized it about mile from a step down and descended very fast in a Cirrus to avoid it. Probably clipped it for 15 seconds and even then I felt seriously bad for that.

Also, as someone who gets flight following a lot around Class B, they almost always make it very clear that our communication does not warrant a clearance into the space.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

fallap

Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:51 pm

Aww, they let him land. Could have been perfect target practice for the Air Force ;)
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

kabq737

Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:06 pm

Insane. Simply insane.

I think one could very easily make the argument that this moron doesn’t posses the maturity or intellect to hold a pilots license.

He and people like him are an embarrassment to the profession and the hobby.
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM
Flown: SEEKER, C150M C172N, C172R, C172S, C182RG, DA40, PA-46

CRJ5000
Topic Author

Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:17 pm

fallap wrote:
Aww, they let him land. Could have been perfect target practice for the Air Force ;)

Not only let him land, but then apologized for the service he received earlier. Of course the tower controller obviously only had the pilots side of the story at that point.

CriticalPoint

Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:26 pm

[*]
bigb wrote:
Thats not a possible pilot deviation, that is a pilot deviation lol. Dude gonna be grounded for awhile lol.

I really don’t think it matters what the FAA says or does he strikes me as the type of person who will just fly anyway.

hondah35

Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:35 pm

SuseJ772 wrote:
One time flying in TPA area I was too high and realized it about mile from a step down

I'm no aviation expert but I know if I were flying when I was high it would end in disaster.

bigb

Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:02 pm

hondah35 wrote:
SuseJ772 wrote:
One time flying in TPA area I was too high and realized it about mile from a step down

I'm no aviation expert but I know if I were flying when I was high it would end in disaster.

Lol he meant his altitude but I see what you did there.

Antarius

Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:18 pm

hondah35 wrote:
SuseJ772 wrote:

Not sure if punny or misunderstanding
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

Karlsands

Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:09 am

Thenoflyzone wrote:
The pilot needs to brush up on his airspace classifications. He seems to be under the impression that simply establishing communication with ATC enables him to enter class B, when that is not the case.

Either that, or he knows perfectly well how class B airspace works and he’s being a tool...

Absolutely, seems as if he was thinking class bravo clearance rules are that of class Charlie , he assumed by having two way communication he was in the right, ridiculous.

24Whiskey

Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:14 am

DiamondFlyer wrote:
wetpantsmcgee wrote:

Sure hope that isn’t the case. I would consider this grounds for an emergency revocation. It’s an obvious willful disregard for regulations putting other aircraft and the public at risk.

The event getting a high profile will not help him either.

bigb

Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:57 am

24Whiskey wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
wetpantsmcgee wrote:

Sure hope that isn’t the case. I would consider this grounds for an emergency revocation. It’s an obvious willful disregard for regulations putting other aircraft and the public at risk.

Yeah, I can definitely see that. It’s one thing if he entered by mistake then immediately left, but the fact that he disregarded ATC instructions in a situation where one can argued that he was in distress in some way shape or form. I don’t think the FSDO will take too kindly.

S0Y

Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:02 am

If displayed equivalent behavior while driving a car, he would be facing reckless driving charges from the police. Similar should apply here

wjcandee

Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:04 am

Does the LV media have this yet? If it does, he's very burnt toast.

wjcandee

Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:26 am

Okay, so doing a little research, the business address of the company was in 2019 a Mailboxes and More in Redondo Beach. Next to a Papa Guido's Pizza.

Oddly, on the same form, he lists a service of process address as a fairly-modest house in Torrence, although given the real estate prices out there, it could be worth just under $1mm. This year, 2020, the report has that home address as everything.

The person who is the managing member of Wife Approved has a name. That name, in more formal form, appears to hold a pilot certificate; that person lists an address as of 2015 in Redondo Beach. That address looks like a multifamily deal. The house in Torrence seems last to have been sold in 2007, so odd that the guy would list a home address in Redondo Beach, where the Mailboxes & More was, in 2015, when in early 2020 he is using the house in Torrence. Maybe the son? Dunno. Anyway, the pilot's license shows the following:

Certificate: COMMERCIAL PILOT
Date of Issue: 8/10/2015

Ratings:
COMMERCIAL PILOT
AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND
AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE SEA
AIRPLANE MULTIENGINE LAND
INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE

Limits:
ENGLISH PROFICIENT.

A little surprising for someone that immature.

SuseJ772

Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:40 am

wjcandee wrote:
Okay, so doing a little research, the business address of the company was in 2019 a Mailboxes and More in Redondo Beach. Next to a Papa Guido's Pizza.

Oddly, on the same form, he lists a service of process address as a fairly-modest house in Torrence, although given the real estate prices out there, it could be worth just under $1mm. This year, 2020, the report has that home address as everything.

The person who is the managing member of Wife Approved has a name. That name, in more formal form, appears to hold a pilot certificate; that person lists an address as of 2015 in Redondo Beach. That address looks like a multifamily deal. The house in Torrence seems last to have been sold in 2007, so odd that the guy would list a home address in Redondo Beach, where the Mailboxes & More was, in 2015, when in early 2020 he is using the house in Torrence. Maybe the son? Dunno. Anyway, the pilot's license shows the following:

Ratings:
COMMERCIAL PILOT
INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE

Limits:
ENGLISH PROFICIENT.

Those are some legit ratings for someone so immature. Makes you wonder if he thought he was on an Instrument Flight Plan but wasn’t. Still no excuse.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:44 am

Right, ever hear of Captain Happy’s outburst at ATL? It’s was all over APC.

DarkSnowyNight

Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:39 am

24Whiskey wrote:

Indeed. It is not in any way related, but the FAA cannot afford to be seen as ineffective in these matters. There might have been a time for that, but the obvious fault lines uncovered in the past few years WRT their relationship with BCA, WN, etc, do lot leave a lot of slack for them now. Not with this sort of visibility.

wjcandee wrote:

Wow. That P Guido's is a well swung Three Wood from my house. If this guy drinks at BAC Street, The Hangar or Thirsty, I almost certainly know him.

wjcandee wrote:

The person who is the managing member of Wife Approved has a name. That name, in more formal form, appears to hold a pilot certificate; that person lists an address as of 2015 in Redondo Beach. That address looks like a multifamily deal. The house in Torrence seems last to have been sold in 2007, so odd that the guy would list a home address in Redondo Beach, where the Mailboxes & More was, in 2015, when in early 2020 he is using the house in Torrence. Maybe the son? Dunno.

Torrance. And yes, if it is North Torrance, that is probably about right for a three-on-a-lot. Redondo Beach is going to require a little more culture for the same sq footage.
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

wjcandee

Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:24 am

DarkSnowyNight: Maybe you'll be able to pick up his side of the story. Only thing I can think of is that he does seem to be well into the Bravo before she tells him to beat it. And she clearly knows he's going to Henderson, which is on the other side of the approach path for LAS. But, man, the really-aggressive and disobedient attitude combined with the ballsy move of crossing the approach path for LAS while there are two 737s coming in the other direction, despite the controller's instructions, is likely to cost him. It may be a coincidence, but I notice on the video that she waits until he's right on top of that broken white line on the screen to declare the deviation. "F me? No..F U."

Oh, yeah. Torrance. Torrance. Torrance. With an "a".

CanadianNorth

Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:18 am

As a pilot myself with limited experience in busy airspace this sounds to me like it started out as an honest mistake, but when called on it the guy did handle it pretty poorly.

In my experience the vast majority of people on the other side of the radio are actually super nice and willing to help, if you ask them nicely. After he said he already talked to her and she said yes but nobody actually cleared you into the bravo I'm sure if he had come back with something along the lines of "oh well crap I must have misunderstood then, sorry about that, is there any chance you can clear me from here or how do you want me to fix this?" or something like that he probably would have found the answer a lot more accommodating.

I'm not saying it wouldn't still be a big deal as it could have caused a major, but a straight up apology with an offer to fix it would certainly have helped his case.

Also I've found checking with a controller when your not sure about something seems to be pretty widely accepted, so there was that option too. I've had a few times where I didn't think I needed to talk to someone but I wasn't 100% sure, so just in case I dialed in the frequency and did a quick hey yo I'm here at whatever altitude passing by your space heading over there just checking in with you kinda thing, and I've never once had a sour response to that. Always been a thanks for letting us know altimeter is whatever now there's someone going over the other way but should be no conflict carry on have a good time kinda reply. Seems to further support my theory of the controllers and radio operators out there are almost always super nice, if you try asking nicely.
HS-748, like a 747 but better!

Mortyman

Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:46 am

Why didn't ATC call up the air force to check him out ?

F9Animal

Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:35 am

This alone should be enough to clip his wings at this point. Straight disregard for an order is troubling. It's no different than a cop telling you to keep your hands out of your pocket, and you ignore the officer and keep reaching in your pockets. Stupidity at its highest level right here. The FAA needs to revoke his license for that IMO. This could have ended badly.

And how about the shout-out to the hero that called him an arsehole?!!! Awesome!!! Would love to buy whoever that was a cold one!
I Am A Different Animal!!

jetwet1

Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:50 am

Mortyman wrote:

By the time anything from Nellis had gotten of the ground to that point he would have been on the ground at Henderson.

If there was something up in the air already it's a maybe.

klm617

Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:26 am

Is it just me or does the guy seem a little drunk or high.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

24Whiskey

Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:33 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

I think there’s a difference in missing a taxiway turn while you’re danger low on coffee as an ATP versus a VFR pilot who couldn’t care less about Class B operations.

While both disrespectful on the radio the guy here in Vegas admitted his disregard/ignorance for Bravo entry and continued on his happy way. Saying sorry and resolving the conflict by descending or turning out of Bravo would go a long way here. It would’ve lead to little to no certificate action with perhaps a briefing with a FSDO ASI or Pilot Examiner.

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Indeed. It is not in any way related, but the FAA cannot afford to be seen as ineffective in these matters. There might have been a time for that, but the obvious fault lines uncovered in the past few years WRT their relationship with BCA, WN, etc, do lot leave a lot of slack for them now. Not with this sort of visibility.

It is really all up to the assigned Air Safety Inspector at the Las Vegas FSDO to determine the enforcement action. The FSDO manager may get some guidance from DC given the high profile nature.

FAA enforcement as of the past couple years has been one of a more nurturing approach. If there is no evidence of negligence, there should be no substantial certificate actions taken. Again, in this situation it appears that the pilot was negligent at the very least after being confronted.

IPFreely

Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:13 pm

Will be interesting to see what the FAA does, if anything. But I'll wait for them to look at all the facts. In the meantime I'll enjoy the show that the a.net crowd inevitably puts on with their virtual tar, feathers, and pitchforks.

bombayduck

Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:59 pm

Would this guy be the male version of a Karen.? If there is such a person.

reltney

Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:48 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

The controller was at complete fault with The captain Happy incident. It was one of 14 Similar exchanges that year. They all led to one controller. He was given leave and came back... his behavior did not change much so he was disciplined and moved...

The stories are too long about him but it’s great conversation when you meet a ATL controller and ask, “ how’s xxxxxx doing these days”. He was hated more by his peers than pilots.

Cheers.
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

santi319

Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:51 pm

IPFreely wrote:
Will be interesting to see what the FAA does, if anything. But I'll wait for them to look at all the facts. In the meantime I'll enjoy the show that the a.net crowd inevitably puts on with their virtual tar, feathers, and pitchforks.

Judging by how the FAA handled the MAX, the 10 hour rest rule for Cabin Crew, etc. probably nothing.

sadde

Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:52 pm

wjcandee wrote:

Ratings:
COMMERCIAL PILOT
INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE

Limits:
ENGLISH PROFICIENT.

These ratings are a joke...you should see the mistakes out there that most ATPs are making, myself included. His last check ride was in 2015. This is not as simple as a mistake, this is a dangerous ATTITUDE. I've got thousands of hours, ATP with three type ratings, CFII. The most nervous I've been for a flight in recent memory was taking a Cirrus VFR around the LAX Bravo.

We all know a crusty old guy flying around an overpowered 172 (210/206/182T, etc) that thinks he’s god’s gift to aviation who completely disregards norms, airmanship, etc. Unfortunately the FSDO will probably get around to this in like 15 months and by then they will give him a slap on the wrist. Best case they give him a 709. If he busts, he’ll still probably keep flying. Sad.

LX015

Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:00 pm

reltney wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

The controller was at complete fault with The captain Happy incident. It was one of 14 Similar exchanges that year. They all led to one controller. He was given leave and came back... his behavior did not change much so he was disciplined and moved...

The stories are too long about him but it’s great conversation when you meet a ATL controller and ask, “ how’s xxxxxx doing these days”. He was hated more by his peers than pilots.

Cheers.

Just out of curiosity, how was it determined that the controller was at fault in the "Captain Happy" incident? Because it doesn't sound like he did anything wrong during that exchange. The Delta pilot appears to be the one who became testy, hence, someone else on frequency told him to settle down.

Insertnamehere

Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:30 pm

bombayduck wrote:

A Kyle

Coronado990

Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:26 am

Insertnamehere wrote:
bombayduck wrote:

A Kyle

I think it is a Chad
We're up.

F9LASDEN

Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:35 am

Coronado990 wrote:
Insertnamehere wrote:
bombayduck wrote:

A Kyle

I think it is a Chad

I believe Ken is what we’re looking for here. Kyle is a guy who wears uses entirely-too-much Axe body spray and consumes excessive amounts of Monster energy drink, whereas Chad is a stereotypical frat boy.

https://www.fatherly.com/love-money/mal ... aren-meme/
Spirit of the West...A Whole Different Animal...Low Fares Done Right

GoSteelers

Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:37 am

LX015 wrote:
reltney wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Cheers.

Just out of curiosity, how was it determined that the controller was at fault in the "Captain Happy" incident? Because it doesn't sound like he did anything wrong during that exchange. The Delta pilot appears to be the one who became testy, hence, someone else on frequency told him to settle down.

The aircraft joined the wrong taxiway. The Pilot got salty that the controller called him on it. That’s the truth. Yes, it was a small mistake but anyone in the aviation industry knows small mistakes can lead to big problems.

Aptivaboy

Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:44 am

Not to go off topic, but I'd love more info on how the Captain Happy incident worked out. That one is ALWAYS fun to listen to on Youtube.

dmg626

Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:49 pm

klm617 wrote:
Is it just me or does the guy seem a little drunk or high.

It sounds like he needs a mental evaluation

atcsundevil

Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:27 pm

Mortyman wrote:

That is an expensive endeavor, and that decision isn't up to the air traffic agency. The controller would report the issue to the supervisor, in large facilities the supervisor would notify the operations manager, and they would report it to the military if necessary (NORAD in the US). Typically the aircraft is tracked on radar, and if they land at an uncontrolled airport, the FBO will be asked to intercept the pilot to notify them to contact the ATC facility. Typically the air force only gets involved if there's an imminent life threat.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos