Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 8
 
xwb777
Posts: 806
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:13 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:05 pm

Emirates seems to have dropped ADL. All pax and frieghter services are cancelled. All employees at ADL station have been made redundant.
 
Fuling
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:41 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:43 pm

Dalavia wrote:
747m8te wrote:
Flymetothemoono wrote:
Crazy expensive. For that much can fly to lax or SFO return from bne Syd or Mel in high season.


Not really that bad for a 3hr joy flight during these tough times which isn't going to have low fares offset by high fares. Anyway that is not exactly the point... the profit from these fares are being donated to the Longreach and HARS museums I believe..I'd be happy to pay a premium for that!


I understand the flights are one hour, not three hours.


Correct.

QF747 SYD1015 – 1130SYD 744 13JUL20
QF747 BNE1015 – 1130BNE 744 15JUL20
QF747 CBR1200 – 1315CBR 744 17JUL20

Taken from Airlineroutes.

xwb777 wrote:
Emirates seems to have dropped ADL. All pax and frieghter services are cancelled. All employees at ADL station have been made redundant.


Where'd you hear that?
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 1716
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:51 pm

Fuling wrote:
xwb777 wrote:
Emirates seems to have dropped ADL. All pax and frieghter services are cancelled. All employees at ADL station have been made redundant.


Where'd you hear that?

Apparently some newspaper agencies in Adelaide is reporting this already - but it's behind the paywall so no clue.

I think some other members upthread also mentioned this from Channel 9

Michael
 
xwb777
Posts: 806
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:13 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:54 pm

Fuling wrote:
Dalavia wrote:
747m8te wrote:

Not really that bad for a 3hr joy flight during these tough times which isn't going to have low fares offset by high fares. Anyway that is not exactly the point... the profit from these fares are being donated to the Longreach and HARS museums I believe..I'd be happy to pay a premium for that!


I understand the flights are one hour, not three hours.


Correct.

QF747 SYD1015 – 1130SYD 744 13JUL20
QF747 BNE1015 – 1130BNE 744 15JUL20
QF747 CBR1200 – 1315CBR 744 17JUL20

Taken from Airlineroutes.

xwb777 wrote:
Emirates seems to have dropped ADL. All pax and frieghter services are cancelled. All employees at ADL station have been made redundant.


Where'd you hear that?

Image
Link: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/subscrib ... de=premium


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Fuling
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:41 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:26 pm

xwb777 wrote:
Fuling wrote:
Dalavia wrote:

I understand the flights are one hour, not three hours.


Correct.

QF747 SYD1015 – 1130SYD 744 13JUL20
QF747 BNE1015 – 1130BNE 744 15JUL20
QF747 CBR1200 – 1315CBR 744 17JUL20

Taken from Airlineroutes.

xwb777 wrote:
Emirates seems to have dropped ADL. All pax and frieghter services are cancelled. All employees at ADL station have been made redundant.


Where'd you hear that?

Image
Link: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/subscrib ... de=premium


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


That's a shame to hear. How were loads pre-COVID?
 
xwb777
Posts: 806
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:13 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:33 pm

Fuling wrote:
xwb777 wrote:
Fuling wrote:

Correct.

QF747 SYD1015 – 1130SYD 744 13JUL20
QF747 BNE1015 – 1130BNE 744 15JUL20
QF747 CBR1200 – 1315CBR 744 17JUL20

Taken from Airlineroutes.



Where'd you hear that?

Image
Link: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/subscrib ... de=premium


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


That's a shame to hear. How were loads pre-COVID?

I don’t know about the loads, but i feel that ADL was the Australian city with the poorest performance among the other other 4 Cities. Most of the days, it was operated by the B777-200LR.
Maybe they relaunch ADL once they receive the A350/B787?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
FromCDGtoSYD
Posts: 380
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:29 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:42 pm

To be fair, for a city of its size ADL has had it very good with CX, SQ, EK, QR and a few chinese carriers(?). Sad that covid made them axe the route though
 
User avatar
CraigAnderson
Posts: 537
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:44 pm

VHZNE wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:
QF747 tickets for SYD, BNE and CBR joyflights to go on sale noon this Wednesday, $400 for economy and $747 for business class.


Noice. Where did you hear that?


It was at https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... e-canberra.

Article also has some details about the final QF7474 retirement flight on Wednesday July 22.
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 1716
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:09 pm

FromCDGtoSYD wrote:
To be fair, for a city of its size ADL has had it very good with CX, SQ, EK, QR and a few chinese carriers(?). Sad that covid made them axe the route though

Just CZ for the Chinese airlines but you're also missing MH and NZ (if that counts)

Michael
 
Obzerva
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:48 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:21 am

eamondzhang wrote:
FromCDGtoSYD wrote:
To be fair, for a city of its size ADL has had it very good with CX, SQ, EK, QR and a few chinese carriers(?). Sad that covid made them axe the route though

Just CZ for the Chinese airlines but you're also missing MH and NZ (if that counts)

Michael


and JQ and OD as well ;)
 
melpax
Posts: 2037
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:13 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:19 am

Some serious rumors that a wider lockdown will be reimposed in Melbourne later today - 191 new cases today :-(
Essendon - Whatever it takes......
 
jrfspa320
Posts: 577
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:18 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:36 am

melpax wrote:
Some serious rumors that a wider lockdown will be reimposed in Melbourne later today - 191 new cases today :-(


Indeed looking more likely now. Without wanting to get into the politics, i cant help but think the feds position on suppression was the wrong one now, with this type of situation becoming common in different places on a recurring basis with essentially a two tier system in different states of elimination and suppression, domestic aviation will not go back to normal for a long time.

NZ have shown elimination is short term pain for long term gain. Their domestic schedule is nearly back to 100%
 
777ER
Head Moderator
Posts: 10097
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:04 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:03 am

jrfspa320 wrote:
melpax wrote:
Some serious rumors that a wider lockdown will be reimposed in Melbourne later today - 191 new cases today :-(


Indeed looking more likely now. Without wanting to get into the politics, i cant help but think the feds position on suppression was the wrong one now, with this type of situation becoming common in different places on a recurring basis with essentially a two tier system in different states of elimination and suppression, domestic aviation will not go back to normal for a long time.

NZ have shown elimination is short term pain for long term gain. Their domestic schedule is nearly back to 100%

NZ and JQ domestic is no where near 100% pre covid. Its currently July school holidays so NZ have put on extra flights or swapped for larger aircraft including using B787s but currently NZ capacity for July/August is 55%. JQ restarted domestic last Wednesday and is operating with 5x A320s at 40% pre-covid.
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11097
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:44 am

Perth to be capped at 525 international passenger arrivals per week

https://twitter.com/6pr/status/1280349877197631490?s=21
Forum Moderator
 
zkncj
Posts: 3805
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:58 am

777ER wrote:
jrfspa320 wrote:
melpax wrote:
Some serious rumors that a wider lockdown will be reimposed in Melbourne later today - 191 new cases today :-(


Indeed looking more likely now. Without wanting to get into the politics, i cant help but think the feds position on suppression was the wrong one now, with this type of situation becoming common in different places on a recurring basis with essentially a two tier system in different states of elimination and suppression, domestic aviation will not go back to normal for a long time.

NZ have shown elimination is short term pain for long term gain. Their domestic schedule is nearly back to 100%

NZ and JQ domestic is no where near 100% pre covid. Its currently July school holidays so NZ have put on extra flights or swapped for larger aircraft including using B787s but currently NZ capacity for July/August is 55%. JQ restarted domestic last Wednesday and is operating with 5x A320s at 40% pre-covid.


NZ’s domestic goal is to be back at 85% of pre-covid levels by the end of the year. JQ is current working it’s way back up to 60% of pre-covid levels.

Are any of the JQ a321s current in service with in Australia? If not wonder if they may send an few across the Tasman in the short-term.
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5526
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:54 am

zkncj wrote:
777ER wrote:
jrfspa320 wrote:

Indeed looking more likely now. Without wanting to get into the politics, i cant help but think the feds position on suppression was the wrong one now, with this type of situation becoming common in different places on a recurring basis with essentially a two tier system in different states of elimination and suppression, domestic aviation will not go back to normal for a long time.

NZ have shown elimination is short term pain for long term gain. Their domestic schedule is nearly back to 100%

NZ and JQ domestic is no where near 100% pre covid. Its currently July school holidays so NZ have put on extra flights or swapped for larger aircraft including using B787s but currently NZ capacity for July/August is 55%. JQ restarted domestic last Wednesday and is operating with 5x A320s at 40% pre-covid.


NZ’s domestic goal is to be back at 85% of pre-covid levels by the end of the year. JQ is current working it’s way back up to 60% of pre-covid levels.

Are any of the JQ a321s current in service with in Australia? If not wonder if they may send an few across the Tasman in the short-term.

Victoria is back to stage 3 lockdown...

https://www.9news.com.au/national/austr ... 618fc13c81

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by EK413 on Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
AMSAKL
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:58 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:55 am

777ER wrote:
jrfspa320 wrote:
melpax wrote:
Some serious rumors that a wider lockdown will be reimposed in Melbourne later today - 191 new cases today :-(


Indeed looking more likely now. Without wanting to get into the politics, i cant help but think the feds position on suppression was the wrong one now, with this type of situation becoming common in different places on a recurring basis with essentially a two tier system in different states of elimination and suppression, domestic aviation will not go back to normal for a long time.

NZ have shown elimination is short term pain for long term gain. Their domestic schedule is nearly back to 100%

NZ and JQ domestic is no where near 100% pre covid. Its currently July school holidays so NZ have put on extra flights or swapped for larger aircraft including using B787s but currently NZ capacity for July/August is 55%. JQ restarted domestic last Wednesday and is operating with 5x A320s at 40% pre-covid.


According to Cam Wallace NZ domestic ops are now up to 74% of last year. It seems New Zealand's domestic aviation sector has ramped up quite nicely all things considered.

Source: https://twitter.com/CamWallace_NZ/statu ... 7356908544
 
melpax
Posts: 2037
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:13 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:55 am

Melbourne Metro area & the adjoining Mitchell Shire (which includes towns such as Kilmore & Wallan that are basically outer suburbs) have had a lockdown reimposed for 6 weeks as of tomorrow night. Boo!

https://www.theage.com.au/national/coro ... 559it.html
Essendon - Whatever it takes......
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5526
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:11 am

Lawrence has arrived safely in VCV #biggestkidontheblock

Image

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
zkncj
Posts: 3805
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:13 am

melpax wrote:
Melbourne Metro area & the adjoining Mitchell Shire (which includes towns such as Kilmore & Wallan that are basically outer suburbs) have had a lockdown reimposed for 6 weeks as of tomorrow night. Boo!

https://www.theage.com.au/national/coro ... 559it.html


Will defiantly have an major impact of the recovery of the aviation industry in Melbourne, who will soon be left behind all of the other major cities in Australia.

Wonder how much impact there will be on JQ’s operations, being largely MEL based.
 
Flyingsottsman
Posts: 798
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:23 am

eamondzhang wrote:
Fuling wrote:
xwb777 wrote:
Emirates seems to have dropped ADL. All pax and frieghter services are cancelled. All employees at ADL station have been made redundant.


Where'd you hear that?

Apparently some newspaper agencies in Adelaide is reporting this already - but it's behind the paywall so no clue.

I think some other members upthread also mentioned this from Channel 9

Michael


Heard it on Sky News when it was on in the back ground at my house.
 
Flyingsottsman
Posts: 798
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:34 am

Now that we are going back into lock down again for another 6 weeks they say, will international airlines suspend flying to Melbourne for the time being it would not be worth their while flying to hear would it? I know we will still need cargo so the Freighter Airlines will still have flights but passenger flights?
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2474
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:29 am

Flyingsottsman wrote:
Now that we are going back into lock down again for another 6 weeks they say, will international airlines suspend flying to Melbourne for the time being it would not be worth their while flying to hear would it? I know we will still need cargo so the Freighter Airlines will still have flights but passenger flights?

Inbound international pax services to MEL were already suspended. It will just continue for a longer period now.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
anstar
Posts: 3262
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:39 am

zkncj wrote:
melpax wrote:
Melbourne Metro area & the adjoining Mitchell Shire (which includes towns such as Kilmore & Wallan that are basically outer suburbs) have had a lockdown reimposed for 6 weeks as of tomorrow night. Boo!

https://www.theage.com.au/national/coro ... 559it.html


Will defiantly have an major impact of the recovery of the aviation industry in Melbourne, who will soon be left behind all of the other major cities in Australia.

Wonder how much impact there will be on JQ’s operations, being largely MEL based.


It should also be a reminder to other states not to get to complacent. Melbourne did have zero cases not long ago. Re JQ operations, they have bases outside VIC so should be able to operate close to normally.
 
zkncj
Posts: 3805
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:51 am

Flyingsottsman wrote:
Now that we are going back into lock down again for another 6 weeks they say, will international airlines suspend flying to Melbourne for the time being it would not be worth their while flying to hear would it? I know we will still need cargo so the Freighter Airlines will still have flights but passenger flights?


Would expect NZ to drop there passenger flights ex-MEL, they are currently running MEL-AKL 3x weekly with 789s as passengers bookable services, and the AKl-MEL sector is freight only. The rest of the week they are just flying 77W/787s as freight only.

NZ is now restricted on the amount of passenger they are allowed to fly back to New Zealand for the reset of July, so could see MEL being first to go.
 
777ER
Head Moderator
Posts: 10097
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:04 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:53 am

AMSAKL wrote:
777ER wrote:
jrfspa320 wrote:

Indeed looking more likely now. Without wanting to get into the politics, i cant help but think the feds position on suppression was the wrong one now, with this type of situation becoming common in different places on a recurring basis with essentially a two tier system in different states of elimination and suppression, domestic aviation will not go back to normal for a long time.

NZ have shown elimination is short term pain for long term gain. Their domestic schedule is nearly back to 100%

NZ and JQ domestic is no where near 100% pre covid. Its currently July school holidays so NZ have put on extra flights or swapped for larger aircraft including using B787s but currently NZ capacity for July/August is 55%. JQ restarted domestic last Wednesday and is operating with 5x A320s at 40% pre-covid.


According to Cam Wallace NZ domestic ops are now up to 74% of last year. It seems New Zealand's domestic aviation sector has ramped up quite nicely all things considered.

Source: https://twitter.com/CamWallace_NZ/statu ... 7356908544

NZ is NOT at 74% capacity of pre covid levels. Yesterdays total load factor over all flights were at 74% with 55% pre covid capacity levels.
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR
 
wedgev
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:56 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:59 am

wedgev wrote:
HM7 wrote:
July 22nd is still the (speculated) departure date for VH-OEJ, correct?


Late July will be the date for OEJ, expect an announcement from Qantas with the exact day and time soon. Also there are some 747 photography fans who are doing photos of the last 2 departures and will be selling prints. The website is http://www.qantas747.com if anyone is interested.


On the 22nd departure set for 2pm, but 3pm airborne more likely. If 34L T/O to 1,000' then RT down the harbour, some northern beaches followed by Bondi, then flyby along rwy 25 before doing an overflight of HARS then LAX. Taxi will be down charlie as OEE did, so those at Shep's will get a good view (also make sure to stay for the airport flyby). If 16R in use be early RT to head nth to harbour, may not go along charlie in this instance though. Should be water canon salute as well (as per OEE).

These flights are crewed without a flight attendant, figure if we can work out the jet, should be able to work out an oven (but no guarantees!). Food is crew meals that would've been loaded as per normal. OEJ will have heavy crew with about 4 Capts, 1 FO and at least 1 SO.

Just need a nice day.
 
Thatcher
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:30 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:09 pm

qf789 wrote:
Perth to be capped at 525 international passenger arrivals per week

https://twitter.com/6pr/status/1280349877197631490?s=21


That seems low doesn't it? Max 1050 concurrently in quarantine - even SA have committed to 1200, and NSW 6300. WA have seemed so ... pleased with themselves up until this point, I'm surprised they don't take the opportunity to step up and carry more of the load. Must have their reasons.

So with VIC out of the picture for presumably six weeks and TAS and the NT presumably not taking any returning residents there will be a bit of a queue to get into the country for some time.
 
AMSAKL
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:58 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:25 pm

777ER wrote:
AMSAKL wrote:
777ER wrote:
NZ and JQ domestic is no where near 100% pre covid. Its currently July school holidays so NZ have put on extra flights or swapped for larger aircraft including using B787s but currently NZ capacity for July/August is 55%. JQ restarted domestic last Wednesday and is operating with 5x A320s at 40% pre-covid.


According to Cam Wallace NZ domestic ops are now up to 74% of last year. It seems New Zealand's domestic aviation sector has ramped up quite nicely all things considered.

Source: https://twitter.com/CamWallace_NZ/statu ... 7356908544

NZ is NOT at 74% capacity of pre covid levels. Yesterdays total load factor over all flights were at 74% with 55% pre covid capacity levels.


Unless you have better information I will interpret it as 74% of last years schedule. On July 3 Cam Wallace tweeted this. ""Busy day as we move into school holiday season, 271 domestic flights and over 20K pax, 58% of LY. Schedule steps up again from Monday. Good progress"

Source: https://twitter.com/CamWallace_NZ/statu ... 1887496192
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2474
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:54 pm

AMSAKL wrote:
777ER wrote:
AMSAKL wrote:

According to Cam Wallace NZ domestic ops are now up to 74% of last year. It seems New Zealand's domestic aviation sector has ramped up quite nicely all things considered.

Source: https://twitter.com/CamWallace_NZ/statu ... 7356908544

NZ is NOT at 74% capacity of pre covid levels. Yesterdays total load factor over all flights were at 74% with 55% pre covid capacity levels.


Unless you have better information I will interpret it as 74% of last years schedule. On July 3 Cam Wallace tweeted this. ""Busy day as we move into school holiday season, 271 domestic flights and over 20K pax, 58% of LY. Schedule steps up again from Monday. Good progress"

Source: https://twitter.com/CamWallace_NZ/statu ... 1887496192

I'm sure this is a fascinating conversation but not sure why it is in the Australian thread rather than the NZ thread :box:
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
redroo
Posts: 570
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:28 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:59 pm

Thatcher wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Perth to be capped at 525 international passenger arrivals per week

https://twitter.com/6pr/status/1280349877197631490?s=21


That seems low doesn't it? Max 1050 concurrently in quarantine - even SA have committed to 1200, and NSW 6300. WA have seemed so ... pleased with themselves up until this point, I'm surprised they don't take the opportunity to step up and carry more of the load. Must have their reasons.

So with VIC out of the picture for presumably six weeks and TAS and the NT presumably not taking any returning residents there will be a bit of a queue to get into the country for some time.


It is but it might be related to the number of available hotel rooms. Some hotels have been taken over by mining companies for their FIFO staff (The Pines is Chevron City) I think. And I heard last night that Joondalup resort is going AFL.

Or it could be budget but they’re planning on charging everyone any day now.

Either way it is a crazy number. It’s not even a plane load a day. Don’t know how that will work.
 
travelhound
Posts: 2008
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 9:13 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:08 pm

redroo wrote:
Thatcher wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Perth to be capped at 525 international passenger arrivals per week

https://twitter.com/6pr/status/1280349877197631490?s=21


That seems low doesn't it? Max 1050 concurrently in quarantine - even SA have committed to 1200, and NSW 6300. WA have seemed so ... pleased with themselves up until this point, I'm surprised they don't take the opportunity to step up and carry more of the load. Must have their reasons.

So with VIC out of the picture for presumably six weeks and TAS and the NT presumably not taking any returning residents there will be a bit of a queue to get into the country for some time.


It is but it might be related to the number of available hotel rooms. Some hotels have been taken over by mining companies for their FIFO staff (The Pines is Chevron City) I think. And I heard last night that Joondalup resort is going AFL.

Or it could be budget but they’re planning on charging everyone any day now.

Either way it is a crazy number. It’s not even a plane load a day. Don’t know how that will work.
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5526
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:36 pm

The 2nd QF A380 VH-OQJ to be moth balled is about to depart LAX.


Flight QF6007 from Los Angeles to Victorville
https://fr24.com/QFA6007/24e06bba


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
Ishrion
Posts: 2661
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:50 pm

Been looking around for the answer to this - Why is Qantas storing its A380s in Victorville instead of somewhere close to home such as Alice Springs? Did they run out of capacity with Singapore's A380s?

Is it actually because VCV is close to LAX so the mechanics can quickly get over there or something?
 
Qantas737
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2000 8:34 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:26 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Been looking around for the answer to this - Why is Qantas storing its A380s in Victorville instead of somewhere close to home such as Alice Springs? Did they run out of capacity with Singapore's A380s?

Is it actually because VCV is close to LAX so the mechanics can quickly get over there or something?


I think you pretty much answered your own question with regards to the engineers being only 2 hours drive away in LA. This article from executive traveller gives a bit of insight.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/qant ... ibernation
 
User avatar
allrite
Posts: 2610
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:28 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:25 am

So, apparently today's the day and midday's the hour to book the final QF 747 flights. Anybody heard a peep from Qantas about how to actually go about it?
I like artificial banana essence!
 
Ozair
Posts: 5169
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:38 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:15 am

Ishrion wrote:
Been looking around for the answer to this - Why is Qantas storing its A380s in Victorville instead of somewhere close to home such as Alice Springs? Did they run out of capacity with Singapore's A380s?

Is it actually because VCV is close to LAX so the mechanics can quickly get over there or something?

Thanks for asking that, I was also curious why this was happening.
 
myki
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:43 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:16 am

Thatcher wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Perth to be capped at 525 international passenger arrivals per week

https://twitter.com/6pr/status/1280349877197631490?s=21

So with VIC out of the picture for presumably six weeks and TAS and the NT presumably not taking any returning residents there will be a bit of a queue to get into the country for some time.

I haven't read much on this: why would VIC be stopling flights for six weeks when the sole purpose of quarantine, whether you have the virus or not, is to ensure you come out the other side virus-free?
 
moa999
Posts: 923
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:47 am

myki wrote:
I haven't read much on this: why would VIC be stopling flights for six weeks when the sole purpose of quarantine, whether you have the virus or not, is to ensure you come out the other side virus-free?


Because police and health resources rightly focused on the 1000 new cases they've had in the past week
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 24506
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:48 am

Qantas737 wrote:
I think you pretty much answered your own question with regards to the engineers being only 2 hours drive away in LA. This article from executive traveller gives a bit of insight.



Except most LAX staff are being furloughed and the future of the hangar lease that run through 2037 is up in the air.

In the short run with really no flights, QF can't justify the staff, and longer term will a slimmed down airline - particularly one with maybe no A380s for which hangar was designed for, the need the LAX MRO facility is iffy.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
Thatcher
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:30 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:59 am

moa999 wrote:
myki wrote:
I haven't read much on this: why would VIC be stopling flights for six weeks when the sole purpose of quarantine, whether you have the virus or not, is to ensure you come out the other side virus-free?


Because police and health resources rightly focused on the 1000 new cases they've had in the past week


I did read elsewhere that it was to be six weeks, that report may have confused the lockdown with stopping international passenger arrivals however. But the stop on arrivals is for an initial two weeks isn't it, and under the circumstance I would expect that to be extended.

I think VIC have done an admirable amount of the "heavy lifting" myself, I don't begrudge them hitting pause.
 
mrkerr7474
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:55 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:02 am

EK413 wrote:
The 2nd QF A380 VH-OQJ to be moth balled is about to depart LAX.


Flight QF6007 from Los Angeles to Victorville
https://fr24.com/QFA6007/24e06bba


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Assuming, if down the line QF brings back the A380 fleet, VH-OQJ would have to be one of the first given it has had the refurbishment inside, correct?
 
Qantas737
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2000 8:34 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:07 am

Seems like tickets for the Qantas 747 farewell flights are not on sale right on midday. Anyone else having luck? I can't find any links or anything...
 
myki
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:43 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:13 am

moa999 wrote:
myki wrote:
I haven't read much on this: why would VIC be stopling flights for six weeks when the sole purpose of quarantine, whether you have the virus or not, is to ensure you come out the other side virus-free?


Because police and health resources rightly focused on the 1000 new cases they've had in the past week

Ah, so the stopping of flights increased from 2 to 6 weeks also. I missed that part.
 
flyboysp
Posts: 387
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:43 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:19 am

Qantas737 wrote:
Seems like tickets for the Qantas 747 farewell flights are not on sale right on midday. Anyone else having luck? I can't find any links or anything...


There was a banner beneath the flight search menu that you had to click. I believe all flights are sold out now. I was lucky enough to get myself a seat onboard the ex SYD flight.

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/promotions ... %3Aen%3Ann
#proudtobeabulldog
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1946
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:22 am

https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlines/ ... ight/au/en

Thats the link i was sent but either the flights are all sold already, the tickets are not released, or there is a glitch in the booking system.
 
User avatar
777Jet
Posts: 6987
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:29 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:23 am

Qantas737 wrote:
Seems like tickets for the Qantas 747 farewell flights are not on sale right on midday. Anyone else having luck? I can't find any links or anything...


Link didn't appear until about 12:10 then already said sold out for Sydney then all other cities sold out in a couple more minutes... Oh well, I got my 747-400ER farewell flight in on the BNE-SYD leg last Nov...
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388
 
User avatar
bjwonline
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:10 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:24 am

flyboysp wrote:
Qantas737 wrote:
Seems like tickets for the Qantas 747 farewell flights are not on sale right on midday. Anyone else having luck? I can't find any links or anything...


There was a banner beneath the flight search menu that you had to click. I believe all flights are sold out now. I was lucky enough to get myself a seat onboard the ex SYD flight.

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/promotions ... %3Aen%3Ann


Good for you and I hope you know how lucky you are! I was sitting here re-loading the page constantly for half an hour but by the time the banner showed up for me and I could get through to search they were all gone. Really don't understand if there is so much interest why they are not trying to get a bit more revenue at a time they are getting none from regular international flights?
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1946
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:35 am

qf2220 wrote:
https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlines/airline-pfs-mystery-flight/au/en

Thats the link i was sent but either the flights are all sold already, the tickets are not released, or there is a glitch in the booking system.


And a page refresh tells me the offer is now closed.

Very quick sale.
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1946
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:37 am

Assuming 58 J sold and 160 Y sold, thats about $107k of revenue for an hour long flight.

No idea if that is profitable or not?
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 8

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos