Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 10915
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

New Zealand Aviation Thread - July 2020

Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:25 pm

Welcome to New Zealand Aviation Thread - July 2020. Please continue to add your comments below

Link to last thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1446985&p=22298959#p22298959
Forum Moderator
 
zkncj
Posts: 3755
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - July 2020

Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:09 am

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/121995147/strong-demand-for-domestic-flights-as-jetstar-starts-flying-again

JQ Restarts it’s New Zealand Domestic services today, with 60% pre-covid capacity (although with strong demand).

Seems an bit odd that JQ is offering masks etc on New Zealand domestic flights, yet NZ is not.
 
NZ6
Posts: 1528
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - July 2020

Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:51 pm

zkncj wrote:
https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/121995147/strong-demand-for-domestic-flights-as-jetstar-starts-flying-again

JQ Restarts it’s New Zealand Domestic services today, with 60% pre-covid capacity (although with strong demand).

Seems an bit odd that JQ is offering masks etc on New Zealand domestic flights, yet NZ is not.


It's great to see JQ back. Competition is so important.

Regarding the mask point. Given it's solely domestic flying and we're at level 1 it seems completely pointless. I'm not sure if they're just available for those who are still anxious or perhaps have underlying medical conditions and so on or if people are actually encouraged to wear them.

The whole mask thing has been a frustrating debate, Dr Bloomfield is far to careful with his words. Masks work great but overwhelmingly the vast majority of people don't use them correctly therefore any benefit becomes void. The amount of times on TV I've seen reporters, interviewees or people on screen touching their masks to adjust them or pulling them down to talk etc is breathtaking.
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 7435
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - July 2020

Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:51 am

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/industri ... 7hq6XZYRas

Right so a few days ago NZ were still considering converting some 777s to Freighters and now they aren’t. Who writes this stuff.
 
NZ321
Posts: 1208
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:00 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - July 2020

Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:20 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/122010088/air-new-zealand-scraps-idea-of-converting-aircraft-to-cargo-freighters?fbclid=IwAR3Qusk6IV7IpDth8p71MoSXG4pAPciHhwMKTLXw3pY0gXrt27hq6XZYRas

Right so a few days ago NZ were still considering converting some 777s to Freighters and now they aren’t. Who writes this stuff.


People who don't know anything about aviation or airlines. They don't have sufficient topical knowledge / context and so such statements are passed through and published.
Plane mad!
 
Motorhussy
Posts: 3668
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2000 7:49 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - July 2020

Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:40 am

NZ321 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/122010088/air-new-zealand-scraps-idea-of-converting-aircraft-to-cargo-freighters?fbclid=IwAR3Qusk6IV7IpDth8p71MoSXG4pAPciHhwMKTLXw3pY0gXrt27hq6XZYRas

Right so a few days ago NZ were still considering converting some 777s to Freighters and now they aren’t. Who writes this stuff.


People who don't know anything about aviation or airlines. They don't have sufficient topical knowledge / context and so such statements are passed through and published.


One could also make the observation that NZ is poor at managing its information flow at the moment and incorrect news is being reported because of it.
come visit the south pacific
 
zkeoj
Posts: 1224
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:00 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - July 2020

Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:04 am

NZ321 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/122010088/air-new-zealand-scraps-idea-of-converting-aircraft-to-cargo-freighters?fbclid=IwAR3Qusk6IV7IpDth8p71MoSXG4pAPciHhwMKTLXw3pY0gXrt27hq6XZYRas

Right so a few days ago NZ were still considering converting some 777s to Freighters and now they aren’t. Who writes this stuff.


People who don't know anything about aviation or airlines. They don't have sufficient topical knowledge / context and so such statements are passed through and published.


That's a bit harsh - they report on what the airline releases, so if NZ said they are looking into conversion, they report on it. It was especially not a fluke because they even made an immigration exception for a person linked to this. If a few days later, NZ says they looked into it and found it is not viable, then it is not the media's fault and they will report on that as well.
I am usually critical of poor media coverage as well, but in this case I can't really blame them.
 
NZ516
Posts: 401
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:21 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - July 2020

Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:01 am

With the recent delivery of 4 more Rolls Royce engines the other day. We could see the return to the skies of ZKNZD and ZKNZI soon as both have been grounded since February.
 
zkncj
Posts: 3755
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - July 2020

Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:26 am

NZ516 wrote:
With the recent delivery of 4 more Rolls Royce engines the other day. We could see the return to the skies of ZKNZD and ZKNZI soon as both have been grounded since February.


On the delivery on the engines, assuming this is paid for by Rolls Royce as part of there recall programme?

Chartering an Antonov to New Zealand, can’t be cheap.
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 7435
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - July 2020

Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:26 am

zkeoj wrote:
NZ321 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/122010088/air-new-zealand-scraps-idea-of-converting-aircraft-to-cargo-freighters?fbclid=IwAR3Qusk6IV7IpDth8p71MoSXG4pAPciHhwMKTLXw3pY0gXrt27hq6XZYRas

Right so a few days ago NZ were still considering converting some 777s to Freighters and now they aren’t. Who writes this stuff.


People who don't know anything about aviation or airlines. They don't have sufficient topical knowledge / context and so such statements are passed through and published.


That's a bit harsh - they report on what the airline releases, so if NZ said they are looking into conversion, they report on it. It was especially not a fluke because they even made an immigration exception for a person linked to this. If a few days later, NZ says they looked into it and found it is not viable, then it is not the media's fault and they will report on that as well.
I am usually critical of poor media coverage as well, but in this case I can't really blame them.


NZ were looking into in late March, then all went quiet, a few days ago stuff reported Someone from Boeing Coming down to help with the project, then literally a few days after that it’s not happening. The timing seems well out or stuff are 3 months behind with the first article.
 
User avatar
afterburner33
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:46 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - July 2020

Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:41 am

zkncj wrote:
Chartering an Antonov to New Zealand, can’t be cheap.


Speaking of which, I note the An-124 has just departed AKL for Guam.

It was on the ground in AKL for 6 days - seems like a long time to be sitting doing nothing. Possibly taking the broken engines back?
 
jimmyah
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:53 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - July 2020

Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:37 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
zkeoj wrote:
NZ321 wrote:

People who don't know anything about aviation or airlines. They don't have sufficient topical knowledge / context and so such statements are passed through and published.


That's a bit harsh - they report on what the airline releases, so if NZ said they are looking into conversion, they report on it. It was especially not a fluke because they even made an immigration exception for a person linked to this. If a few days later, NZ says they looked into it and found it is not viable, then it is not the media's fault and they will report on that as well.
I am usually critical of poor media coverage as well, but in this case I can't really blame them.


NZ were looking into in late March, then all went quiet, a few days ago stuff reported Someone from Boeing Coming down to help with the project, then literally a few days after that it’s not happening. The timing seems well out or stuff are 3 months behind with the first article.


The article about the Boeing person only came out in the govt information dump recently, it actually occurred a while back.
 
aotearoa
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 1:50 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - July 2020

Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:59 pm

NZ516 wrote:
With the recent delivery of 4 more Rolls Royce engines the other day. We could see the return to the skies of ZKNZD and ZKNZI soon as both have been grounded since February.


Schedule Advice Notice of a local flight planned for 10th July issued late last week. This will be ZK-NZI’s flight check after the double engine change. ZK-NZD scheduled first half of August. All 14 787s will be back in the air for the first time since RR issues presented a few years back.

This is the airline’s international operation ‘aircraft of choice’ for the immediate future. No surprise there due to the fuel efficiency that this frame delivers.
 
zkncj
Posts: 3755
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - July 2020

Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:19 pm

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12345607

11 passengers offloaded from an AKL-BNE flight over the weekend, due to the aircraft being over weight! The. Offloaded passengers then were put into managed isolation in AKL, due to transit passengers being on the aircraft they were off-loaded from.

Hard to think an AKL-BNE flight being overweight, unless they loaded cargo over passengers.
 
ZKSUJ
Posts: 6883
Joined: Tue May 18, 2004 5:15 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - July 2020

Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:14 pm

zkncj wrote:
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12345607

11 passengers offloaded from an AKL-BNE flight over the weekend, due to the aircraft being over weight! The. Offloaded passengers then were put into managed isolation in AKL, due to transit passengers being on the aircraft they were off-loaded from.

Hard to think an AKL-BNE flight being overweight, unless they loaded cargo over passengers.


Depends what aircraft type it is, and conditions etc... If its a 320/321 for example, its very possible being Landing weight restricted if fuel is required for weather or longer diverts etc... alot of flights (even occasionally on domestic) can be landing weight restricted due to the fuel needed to be carried legally or operationally even if it doesnt end up being used.

Of course according to articles you only get a fraction of the story so its hard to know what and why
 
Toenga
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:55 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - July 2020

Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:34 pm

ZKSUJ wrote:
zkncj wrote:
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12345607

11 passengers offloaded from an AKL-BNE flight over the weekend, due to the aircraft being over weight! The. Offloaded passengers then were put into managed isolation in AKL, due to transit passengers being on the aircraft they were off-loaded from.

Hard to think an AKL-BNE flight being overweight, unless they loaded cargo over passengers.


Depends what aircraft type it is, and conditions etc... If its a 320/321 for example, its very possible being Landing weight restricted if fuel is required for weather or longer diverts etc... alot of flights (even occasionally on domestic) can be landing weight restricted due to the fuel needed to be carried legally or operationally even if it doesnt end up being used.

Of course according to articles you only get a fraction of the story so its hard to know what and why


An interesting point on the amount of reserve fuel being required.
Does the limited number of ports offering quarantine facilities change the schedule of airports available for an international diversion?
Does Sydney then become the nominated diversion airport for international passenger flights into Brisbane?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos