Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

qf789
Topic Author

New Zealand Aviation Thread - July 2020

Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:25 pm

Welcome to New Zealand Aviation Thread - July 2020. Please continue to add your comments below

Link to last thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1446985&p=22298959#p22298959
Forum Moderator

zkncj

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - July 2020

Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:09 am

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/121995147/strong-demand-for-domestic-flights-as-jetstar-starts-flying-again

JQ Restarts it’s New Zealand Domestic services today, with 60% pre-covid capacity (although with strong demand).

Seems an bit odd that JQ is offering masks etc on New Zealand domestic flights, yet NZ is not.

NZ6

Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:51 pm

zkncj wrote:
https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/121995147/strong-demand-for-domestic-flights-as-jetstar-starts-flying-again

JQ Restarts it’s New Zealand Domestic services today, with 60% pre-covid capacity (although with strong demand).

Seems an bit odd that JQ is offering masks etc on New Zealand domestic flights, yet NZ is not.

It's great to see JQ back. Competition is so important.

Regarding the mask point. Given it's solely domestic flying and we're at level 1 it seems completely pointless. I'm not sure if they're just available for those who are still anxious or perhaps have underlying medical conditions and so on or if people are actually encouraged to wear them.

The whole mask thing has been a frustrating debate, Dr Bloomfield is far to careful with his words. Masks work great but overwhelmingly the vast majority of people don't use them correctly therefore any benefit becomes void. The amount of times on TV I've seen reporters, interviewees or people on screen touching their masks to adjust them or pulling them down to talk etc is breathtaking.

ZK-NBT

Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:51 am

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/industri ... 7hq6XZYRas

Right so a few days ago NZ were still considering converting some 777s to Freighters and now they aren’t. Who writes this stuff.

NZ321

Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:20 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/122010088/air-new-zealand-scraps-idea-of-converting-aircraft-to-cargo-freighters?fbclid=IwAR3Qusk6IV7IpDth8p71MoSXG4pAPciHhwMKTLXw3pY0gXrt27hq6XZYRas

Right so a few days ago NZ were still considering converting some 777s to Freighters and now they aren’t. Who writes this stuff.

People who don't know anything about aviation or airlines. They don't have sufficient topical knowledge / context and so such statements are passed through and published.
Plane mad!

Motorhussy

Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:40 am

NZ321 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/122010088/air-new-zealand-scraps-idea-of-converting-aircraft-to-cargo-freighters?fbclid=IwAR3Qusk6IV7IpDth8p71MoSXG4pAPciHhwMKTLXw3pY0gXrt27hq6XZYRas

People who don't know anything about aviation or airlines. They don't have sufficient topical knowledge / context and so such statements are passed through and published.

One could also make the observation that NZ is poor at managing its information flow at the moment and incorrect news is being reported because of it.
come visit the south pacific

zkeoj

Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:04 am

NZ321 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

That's a bit harsh - they report on what the airline releases, so if NZ said they are looking into conversion, they report on it. It was especially not a fluke because they even made an immigration exception for a person linked to this. If a few days later, NZ says they looked into it and found it is not viable, then it is not the media's fault and they will report on that as well.
I am usually critical of poor media coverage as well, but in this case I can't really blame them.

NZ516

Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:01 am

With the recent delivery of 4 more Rolls Royce engines the other day. We could see the return to the skies of ZKNZD and ZKNZI soon as both have been grounded since February.

zkncj

Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:26 am

NZ516 wrote:
With the recent delivery of 4 more Rolls Royce engines the other day. We could see the return to the skies of ZKNZD and ZKNZI soon as both have been grounded since February.

On the delivery on the engines, assuming this is paid for by Rolls Royce as part of there recall programme?

Chartering an Antonov to New Zealand, can’t be cheap.

ZK-NBT

Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:26 am

zkeoj wrote:
NZ321 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

That's a bit harsh - they report on what the airline releases, so if NZ said they are looking into conversion, they report on it. It was especially not a fluke because they even made an immigration exception for a person linked to this. If a few days later, NZ says they looked into it and found it is not viable, then it is not the media's fault and they will report on that as well.
I am usually critical of poor media coverage as well, but in this case I can't really blame them.

NZ were looking into in late March, then all went quiet, a few days ago stuff reported Someone from Boeing Coming down to help with the project, then literally a few days after that it’s not happening. The timing seems well out or stuff are 3 months behind with the first article.

afterburner33

Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:41 am

zkncj wrote:
Chartering an Antonov to New Zealand, can’t be cheap.

Speaking of which, I note the An-124 has just departed AKL for Guam.

It was on the ground in AKL for 6 days - seems like a long time to be sitting doing nothing. Possibly taking the broken engines back?

jimmyah

Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:37 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
zkeoj wrote:
NZ321 wrote:

NZ were looking into in late March, then all went quiet, a few days ago stuff reported Someone from Boeing Coming down to help with the project, then literally a few days after that it’s not happening. The timing seems well out or stuff are 3 months behind with the first article.

The article about the Boeing person only came out in the govt information dump recently, it actually occurred a while back.

aotearoa

Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:59 pm

NZ516 wrote:

Schedule Advice Notice of a local flight planned for 10th July issued late last week. This will be ZK-NZI’s flight check after the double engine change. ZK-NZD scheduled first half of August. All 14 787s will be back in the air for the first time since RR issues presented a few years back.

This is the airline’s international operation ‘aircraft of choice’ for the immediate future. No surprise there due to the fuel efficiency that this frame delivers.

zkncj

Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:19 pm

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12345607

11 passengers offloaded from an AKL-BNE flight over the weekend, due to the aircraft being over weight! The. Offloaded passengers then were put into managed isolation in AKL, due to transit passengers being on the aircraft they were off-loaded from.

Hard to think an AKL-BNE flight being overweight, unless they loaded cargo over passengers.

ZKSUJ

Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:14 pm

zkncj wrote:

11 passengers offloaded from an AKL-BNE flight over the weekend, due to the aircraft being over weight! The. Offloaded passengers then were put into managed isolation in AKL, due to transit passengers being on the aircraft they were off-loaded from.

Hard to think an AKL-BNE flight being overweight, unless they loaded cargo over passengers.

Depends what aircraft type it is, and conditions etc... If its a 320/321 for example, its very possible being Landing weight restricted if fuel is required for weather or longer diverts etc... alot of flights (even occasionally on domestic) can be landing weight restricted due to the fuel needed to be carried legally or operationally even if it doesnt end up being used.

Of course according to articles you only get a fraction of the story so its hard to know what and why

Toenga

Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:34 pm

ZKSUJ wrote:
zkncj wrote:

Depends what aircraft type it is, and conditions etc... If its a 320/321 for example, its very possible being Landing weight restricted if fuel is required for weather or longer diverts etc... alot of flights (even occasionally on domestic) can be landing weight restricted due to the fuel needed to be carried legally or operationally even if it doesnt end up being used.

Of course according to articles you only get a fraction of the story so its hard to know what and why

An interesting point on the amount of reserve fuel being required.
Does the limited number of ports offering quarantine facilities change the schedule of airports available for an international diversion?
Does Sydney then become the nominated diversion airport for international passenger flights into Brisbane?

Jonjo757

Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:06 am

Hi there, I live in Auckland and I am familiar with the sound of different aircraft flying over my house, usually Caravans and Islanders to the Barrier some weekends a DC-3 (the odd police eagle as well) . This morning I heard an unfamiliar one but didn't catch a glimpse, a look on a flight tracking site showed it was ZK-CIZ going from AKL to Whenuapai and the flight history says it has made multiple flights between these airports.

Does anybody know why? I thought maybe training but most flights are full stop landings not approaches or touch and go's and it would be an expensive way to get prisoners to Paremoremo. Cheers

NZ516

Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:11 am

A new issue has arisen with the 787 Trent engines, this is probably the last thing Air NZ needs at the moment.

Trent-powered 787 operators to check for disc fin cracks

Operators of Rolls-Royce-powered Boeing 787s are set to be instructed to conduct inspections of certain Trent 1000 low-pressure turbine discs, over a possible cracking risk.

Assessment of certain discs in service has revealed that rubbing contact with interstage static seals can lead to cracks in the front seal fins – which, in turn, could lead to cracks in the disc.

https://www.flightglobal.com/safety/tre ... 65.article

NZ516

Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:45 am

I wonder if Air NZ will seek compensation from lost ticket sales due to the new restrictions:

AIR NEW ZEALAND HALTS INBOUND INTERNATIONAL BOOKINGS

Air New Zealand has temporarily halted all inbound international bookings after a request from the country’s government to help it manage capacity in quarantine centres.

The move has led to angry complaints on social media from citizens trying to return home, while the business has warned its contact centre is very busy

https://australianaviation.com.au/2020/ ... -bookings/

NZ516

Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:15 am

Passenger flights between Wānaka and Christchurch could start in September

Managing director Andrew Crawford said they were now “concluding arrangements” over the link with Christchurch Airport and Queenstown Airport Corporation, which manages Wānaka Airport in Otago for the Queenstown Lakes District Council.

The airline plans to start the service in September with up to three flights a day and 15 flights a week, using a nine-seat Pilatus PC12 turbo-prop plane.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/back-you ... -september

This is some good aviation news for a change.. Looks like the issues before have now been worked through. With no access to International tourism hot spots more Kiwi's will choose a domestic holiday instead. So Wanaka should gain more domestic tourist dollars going forward.
Last edited by NZ516 on Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

zkncj

Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:15 am

NZ516 wrote:
I wonder if Air NZ will seek compensation from lost ticket sales due to the new restrictions:

Air New Zealand has temporarily halted all inbound international bookings after a request from the country’s government to help it manage capacity in quarantine centres.

The move has led to angry complaints on social media from citizens trying to return home, while the business has warned its contact centre is very busy

EK/SQ have been request todo the same as well, after yesterday hotel/supper market blunder. I’m sure the daily totals of arriving passengers would be further reduce down.

Basic you could almost say the New Zealand boarders are now closed to criztens, but we will let an few in an day to keep the in happy...

777ER
Head Moderator

Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:48 am

zkncj wrote:
NZ516 wrote:

EK/SQ have been request todo the same as well, after yesterday hotel/supper market blunder. I’m sure the daily totals of arriving passengers would be further reduce down.

Basic you could almost say the New Zealand boarders are now closed to criztens, but we will let an few in an day to keep the in happy...

Can't see how NZ/SQ could claim compensation when the restrictions weren't forced on them by the Government and also its happened during a global health crisis. If compensation was won then it raises potential issues for governments/airports who closed their international airport like Samoa and Tonga
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

PA515

Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:38 pm

aotearoa wrote:
NZ516 wrote:

Schedule Advice Notice of a local flight planned for 10th July issued late last week. This will be ZK-NZI’s flight check after the double engine change. ZK-NZD scheduled first half of August. All 14 787s will be back in the air for the first time since RR issues presented a few years back.

This is the airline’s international operation ‘aircraft of choice’ for the immediate future. No surprise there due to the fuel efficiency that this frame delivers.

Found this on stuff yesterday:
..... a huge Antonov An-124 Ruslan delivered the airline two brand-new lease engines from Rolls-Royce and two others that had undergone maintenance work in Singapore.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indust ... -to-cracks

The two brand new engines would be Trent 1000 TEN engines, so presumably destined for the Code 2 fleet. ZK-NZL was the only Code 2 delivered with Trent 1000 Package C engines. Or will Air NZ still operate 789s with a Trent 1000 Package C engine and a Trent 1000 TEN engine.

PA515

IndianicWorld

Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:04 pm

As has been experienced in Australia, hotel quarantine is risky, especially with higher volumes and the potential for mistakes or issues of non-compliance to be found to occur.

Given the time many have had to return home, the volumes traveling should not be as high as they are. Govt’s have the right to enforce border limits to ensure the safety of the community, and with those risks associated with quarantine programs, it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Living in a state that has gone from nearly having the virus cleared to fighting a 2nd wave not long after, hopefully this doesn’t occur elsewhere in similar circumstances.

bevan7

Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:31 pm

NZ516 wrote:

Pretty ironic NZ are looking for compensation when they refuse to refund passengers. Hope the government says no compensation until they are fair to their customers (although being a shareholder the government wont do this)

Mr AirNZ

Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:34 pm

PA515 wrote:
aotearoa wrote:
NZ516 wrote:

Found this on stuff yesterday:
..... a huge Antonov An-124 Ruslan delivered the airline two brand-new lease engines from Rolls-Royce and two others that had undergone maintenance work in Singapore.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indust ... -to-cracks

The two brand new engines would be Trent 1000 TEN engines, so presumably destined for the Code 2 fleet. ZK-NZL was the only Code 2 delivered with Trent 1000 Package C engines. Or will Air NZ still operate 789s with a Trent 1000 Package C engine and a Trent 1000 TEN engine.

PA515

The Pack C and TEN are interchangeable and spread around the fleet. With the various airworthiness directives and de-pairing rules for the different issues, many frames (Code 1 and Code 2) have a Pack C on one wing and a TEN on the other.

Kiwirob

Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:06 pm

NZ516 wrote:

Managing director Andrew Crawford said they were now “concluding arrangements” over the link with Christchurch Airport and Queenstown Airport Corporation, which manages Wānaka Airport in Otago for the Queenstown Lakes District Council.

The airline plans to start the service in September with up to three flights a day and 15 flights a week, using a nine-seat Pilatus PC12 turbo-prop plane.

This is some good aviation news for a change.. Looks like the issues before have now been worked through. With no access to International tourism hot spots more Kiwi's will choose a domestic holiday instead. So Wanaka should gain more domestic tourist dollars going forward.

More people will probably stay home, unless you can afford it NZ isn’t a cheap place for many kiwis to holiday in.

Gasman

Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:08 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
More people will probably stay home, unless you can afford it NZ isn’t a cheap place for many kiwis to holiday in.

It sure isn't. I always knew this but even so have come back gobsmacked at what a few days in Ruapehu cost me. Both in terms of the raw cost and also bang per buck.

zkncj

Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:37 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
NZ516 wrote:

Agreed - while there as been an few deals around at the moment. The cost of even getting somewhere in New Zealand at the moment can compare to what it use to cost to goto Australia.

NZ516

Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:18 pm

zkncj wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
NZ516 wrote:

Agreed - while there as been an few deals around at the moment. The cost of even getting somewhere in New Zealand at the moment can compare to what it use to cost to goto Australia.

Indeed it is. Sounds Air with it's tiny aircraft is only really geared up towards the business market. With Christchurch to Blenheim at $400 return is the same price of a former Tasman return air fare.

zkncj

Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:25 am

Anyone know the reason why NZ is currently using G27/28 at WLG for there a320/320 services at the moment? Along with sharing an AVSEC screening point with JQ.

777ER
Head Moderator

Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:30 am

zkncj wrote:
Anyone know the reason why NZ is currently using G27/28 at WLG for there a320/320 services at the moment? Along with sharing an AVSEC screening point with JQ.

AVSEC have centralized the screening point due to the number of A320 flights currently by both JQ and NZ. International customs/duty free area is closed so no issue.
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

NPL8800

Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:22 am

zkncj wrote:

The change in scheduling with more ATRs passing thru WLG is the reason as more north-south stands are required at peak times, with the northern pier and the rock being underutilized at the moment there is capacity over there to accommodate the Jets comfortably and the Turboprops have taken over the pier for gates 13-17.

zkncj

Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:08 am

NPL8800 wrote:
zkncj wrote:

The change in scheduling with more ATRs passing thru WLG is the reason as more north-south stands are required at peak times, with the northern pier and the rock being underutilized at the moment there is capacity over there to accommodate the Jets comfortably and the Turboprops have taken over the pier for gates 13-17.

Is the International NZ lounge now open for the a320/321 passengers?

It’s bit of an hike from the main lounge, to G27/28 plus having to line up for security after being in the lounge.

NPL8800

Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:38 am

zkncj wrote:
NPL8800 wrote:
zkncj wrote:

It’s bit of an hike from the main lounge, to G27/28 plus having to line up for security after being in the lounge.

At this stage there are no plans for that lounge to be opened for domestic use

mrkerr7474

Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:53 am

NPL8800 wrote:
zkncj wrote:
NPL8800 wrote:

At this stage there are no plans for that lounge to be opened for domestic use

Is this the standard for now cosnidering international flights are currently not operating, or is it just because of school holidays here and extra flights were put on that they've had to frequently use the international pier?

Is it just scheduling or any particular reason they only seem to use gate 27/28 and not the likes of 25/26 as well?

zkncj

Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:31 am

mrkerr7474 wrote:
Is it just scheduling or any particular reason they only seem to use gate 27/28 and not the likes of 25/26 as well?

G25/26 are pretty small and pokey they would spit out of the JQ gates if NZ was using an A321NEO on that flight.

In Level 2 I went out of G26 on an A321NEO, and the gate lounge as pretty cramped and that was when they had to have empty middle seats. (but social distancing didn't happen in the gate lounge!)

Are they using the JQ screening point? or is it all via the International Departures screening point at the moment?

NPL8800

Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:28 am

zkncj wrote:
mrkerr7474 wrote:

G25/26 are pretty small and pokey they would spit out of the JQ gates if NZ was using an A321NEO on that flight.

In Level 2 I went out of G26 on an A321NEO, and the gate lounge as pretty cramped and that was when they had to have empty middle seats. (but social distancing didn't happen in the gate lounge!)

Are they using the JQ screening point? or is it all via the International Departures screening point at the moment?

They're using the gate 21 screening point, international departures screening is being renovated so is blocked off. Gates 25-26 lounge area is only cramped when they have that wall that splits the lounge up, with that down there is no capacity constraints as far as seating in that area goes. Variety of reasons why 24-26 aren't being used as much but can be if required.

mrkerr7474

Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:31 pm

This will be some welcome news for tourism reasons for the Cook Islands and NZ. Hopefully, this can go through safely and sooner rather than later. I know I would be one of the first to book a trip there to experience what the Cook Islands has to offer

https://i.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/122122342/pacific-bubble-flights-to-rarotonga-to-be-announced-next-week
Last edited by mrkerr7474 on Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zkncj

Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:18 am

mrkerr7474 wrote:
This will be some welcome news for tourism reasons for the Cook Islands and NZ. Hopefully, this can go through safely and sooner rather than later. I know I would be one of the first to book a trip there to experience what the Cook Islands has to offer

https://i.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/122122342/pacific-bubble-flights-to-rarotonga-to-be-announced-next-week

Seems to be that the New Zealand Government ins't to happy about all this talk of an Cook Islands bubble int he media today, they seem to be talking against it.

Surely NZ would be putting on daily 789s pretty quickly should it happen.

zkncj

Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:52 am

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/travel/2020/07/mike-pero-says-he-s-in-talks-with-a-mystery-airline-to-launch-christchurch-cook-islands-direct-flights.html?fbclid=IwAR2K7J3iKsmamEtoWSsj8xSfzhPyYHHm7hzo4UT9wca2T1hXUImVwLYznsY

Mike Pero today has come out saying that is planning to back an CHC-RAR service (once the Cook Islands bubble starts), he is planning to partner with an non New Zealand based airline to get this service up and running. Apparently NZ doesn't have the resources to support an service (more likely they aren't interested).

Maybe he is in talks with VA? they have run an service in the past between CHC-RAR.

Alliance - F70/100s would have the range.
Air Naru - The 733's would take decent payload restriction to make CHC-RAR (if they could even make it)

ZK-NBT

Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:21 am

zkncj wrote:
mrkerr7474 wrote:

Seems to be that the New Zealand Government ins't to happy about all this talk of an Cook Islands bubble int he media today, they seem to be talking against it.

An airline well known to New Zealand and in a different Timezone.

What rights would a carrier need for CHC-RAR? Still 5th freedom? RAR is pretty kiwi.

ZK-NBT

Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:24 am

zkncj wrote:
mrkerr7474 wrote:

An airline well known to New Zealand and in a different Timezone. What rights would a foreign airline need for CHC-RAR? Still 5th freedom? RAR is pretty kiwi.

DavidByrne

Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:33 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
zkncj wrote:
mrkerr7474 wrote:

What rights would a carrier need for CHC-RAR? Still 5th freedom? RAR is pretty kiwi.

An Australian carrier would not have an issue with rights. The "global carrier" tag could only apply to QF, as VA is nowhere near global and is never likely to be. Unless Mike Pero thinks that VA and VS are one and the same. Can't see a carrier beyond Australia being interested in CHC-RAR.
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife

Qantas16

Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:38 am

zkncj wrote:
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/travel/2020/07/mike-pero-says-he-s-in-talks-with-a-mystery-airline-to-launch-christchurch-cook-islands-direct-flights.html?fbclid=IwAR2K7J3iKsmamEtoWSsj8xSfzhPyYHHm7hzo4UT9wca2T1hXUImVwLYznsY

Mike Pero today has come out saying that is planning to back an CHC-RAR service (once the Cook Islands bubble starts), he is planning to partner with an non New Zealand based airline to get this service up and running. Apparently NZ doesn't have the resources to support an service (more likely they aren't interested).

Maybe he is in talks with VA? they have run an service in the past between CHC-RAR.

Alliance - F70/100s would have the range.
Air Naru - The 733's would take decent payload restriction to make CHC-RAR (if they could even make it)

Surely JQ would be the most logical foreign carrier given they operated to RAR (ex-AKL) pre-COVID?

ON's 733 do not have the range, and I don't believe there is a reasonably alternate even if they were going to push it to the limits. I would think this would also apply to the F70/F100s then (if they even have ETOPs for that?)

ZK-NBT

Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:40 am

DavidByrne wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
zkncj wrote:

An Australian carrier would not have an issue with rights. The "global carrier" tag could only apply to QF, as VA is nowhere near global and is never likely to be. Unless Mike Pero thinks that VA and VS are one and the same. Can't see a carrier beyond Australia being interested in CHC-RAR.

Right. QF would seem pretty unlikely to me and I agree anywhere further afield doesn’t seem likely either.

zkncj

Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:11 am

Qantas16 wrote:
ON's 733 do not have the range, and I don't believe there is a reasonably alternate even if they were going to push it to the limits. I would think this would also apply to the F70/F100s then (if they even have ETOPs for that?)

When NZ use to operate the 733s to RAR, I’m pretty sure they had to stop in NAN on the way. CHC-NAN would probably be an push of an -300 too.

ZK-NBT wrote:
Right. QF would seem pretty unlikely to me and I agree anywhere further afield doesn’t seem likely either.

QF could be interested if it involved finding some work for its JetConnect crew that are currently stood down / are on the wage subsidy.

But you would think it would have to be be worth it for QF, e.g q couple of 738s running AKL/WLG/CHC-RAR daily etc.

mrkerr7474

Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:13 am

Would be interesting to see which airlines take up the opportunity aside from Air NZ to offer flights and also where those flights would go from. Of course AKL, would be nice if possible to have other services from WLG / CHC also, a big wait and see though

NZ516

Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:54 pm

From what I have read on the RNZ article. The NZ Government is not likely to allow the borders to open any time soon unfortunately. The risk of spreading Covid from NZ to the Pacific is too high were the reasons why.it not going to happen.

V60Polestar

Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:40 am

https://www.odt.co.nz/star-news/star-bu ... ristchurch
From what I've found, the service will be operated with A320s.

Mike Pero quoted about the lessor:
"I cannot tell you who the airline is at this stage ... but most Kiwis will be familiar with the name."

(he looked for) "Airlines from Dublin to Los Angeles to the Pacific region and I’m in discussions with somebody that can do it on an aircraft the same as Air New Zealand operate and with competitive fares.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos